Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Opal ❯ Invasion ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Whee! Chapter 4 is here!
 
Thanks again to everyone who has read/reviewed this story. The fact that people are enjoying this makes me want to finish. ^^
 
DISCLAIMER: I do not own Yu-gi-oh or any of its characters and I make no profit from this story.
 
Chapter 4 Awaaaaay!
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
As the days came and went, Ryou found himself spending more and more of his free time holed up with Bakura in the holding bay. The Kaitsune would answer Ryou's questions, eat the food he brought, and even appear to enjoy the other boy's company.
 
When questioned by his father about his behavior, Ryou would explain that he was just using this opportunity to study and learn more about the Kaitsunes. `For future human's safety.' he'd say. Thinking this to be an acceptable excuse, his father left him to his `research.'
 
Nibori was another case entirely. He was constantly in Ryou's way, ordering him to keep the Kaitsune chained and secure at all times. Honestly, the man treated him like a four year old. Ryou knew how risky it would be to unlock Bakura's restraints, no matter how much he had grown to trust him. The Kaitsune may have been calm with Ryou, but the boy wasn't blind to his treatment of the other researchers and workers on the ship.
 
He would bite, snarl, and slash at anyone else who entered the holding bay, refused to answer when he was addressed, and offered a string of curses in his native tongue whenever another brought him his meals. Bakura was adamant that the only one he would speak to and associate himself with was Ryou.
 
Flattered but slightly irritated, the young researcher was placed in charge of everything that dealt with the volatile Kaitsune.
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Bakura yawned, his tongue curling slightly and his fangs glinting. Jaws closing with a click, he lay on his side, head cradled in his palm, and propping himself up with an elbow. Thumping his tail, he gazed at the door longingly.
 
Where had that little human gone to? Dinner was fast approaching and he was almost out of his mind with boredom. He needed someone to speak to, just to hear a voice other than his echoing off the walls. He almost wished one of the other humans would come in to speak with him, giving him a chance to yell at someone. It would certainly help alleviate his tension.
 
Bakura heard muffled steps outside his door, and immediately sat up. He recognized Ryou's scent wafting through the air, and it appeared he had brought dinner as well.
 
`It's about time.' He sighed mentally, halting his tail and sitting back. Bakura feigned sleep as the door opened and Ryou appeared carrying a tray of meat. He heard the boy's steps hesitate, and allowed his eyes to slide open.
 
Realizing Bakura was awake, Ryou continued to his regular spot, sitting and placing the tray down lightly. Clamoring noisily to his feet, his chains grazing the wall, the Kaitsune made his way over and plopped down heavily, digging in.
 
“How was your day, Bakura? Not too tiring I hope?”
 
“Tch. How would my day be tiring? I can't do anything other than sleep down here.”
 
Ryou sighed, and scooted a bit closer, catching Bakura's attention.
 
“I'm sorry you're stuck down here all day with nothing to do. If Nibori wasn't such an ass I could bring you a book to read or a television to watch, but he thinks just keeping you alive is good enough. He doesn't believe we should entertain you as well.”
 
Ryou seemed sincere, and Bakura found himself shrugging. “It's alright, I understand the situation. You have to listen to your boss, no matter how much of an idiot he is. I have the same thing at home.”
 
The boy smiled. “Still, I think it's unfair to treat you this way.” His voice faltered and the smile faded. “I…I hope The Government doesn't hurt you.”
 
The Kaitsune looked up, and was a bit surprised to see sorrow in Ryou's eyes. He paused in his eating and smirked. “Nothing those idiots do can hurt me. My people are used to pain, and can handle anything the human's throw at us. Your government can do nothing to me that I have not already survived.”
 
“I see.” They both became silent and Ryou's eyes fell, fixing on a spot of dirt on the floor.
 
Noticing this, Bakura ducked his head and peered into the boy's face. Softly, he asked, “Do you pity me, little human? Do you sympathize with me, with my people?” His eyes narrowed a fraction. “Do you care for me?”
 
Ryou still refused to look up as he nodded faintly.
 
The Kaitsune straightened. “I do not need your pity, human. Your kind are the ones who put me and my people in such a position. You ran us from our home and now hunt us down, as though we were livestock. We do not appreciate being looked down upon.” he growled.
 
Flinching, Ryou looked into Bakura's blood red eyes and saw the anger and pain behind them.
 
He shifted uncomfortably before climbing to his feet and proceeding to leave Bakura and his half eaten meal on the floor. At the door, he turned his head and spoke. “I know it won't amount to much, but I apologize for all that the humans have put you through. Their actions were driven by greed, fear, and stupidity, and I myself have been unable to forgive my ancestors of their sins. I hope one day my people will comprehend the magnitude of what they have done, and set plans in motion to patch the wounds they have opened and allowed to fester for so long.” Here, he closed his eyes and took in a slow breath. “Though, I do not see something like that happening for a very long time.”
 
Bakura was silent. Had he heard right? Was this little human accepting responsibility for what his people had done long ago, and apologizing wholeheartedly on their behalf? He mentally snarled. `It's not enough.'
 
The Kaitsune remained still as Ryou looked away and stepped through the door.
 
“I'll come later to retrieve your dinner tray.” he said quietly, barely audible over the thump of the door as it sealed shut.
 
Leaving Bakura behind, Ryou made his way up to his bedroom. He wasn't feeling up to working or seeing his father, he was too drained and gloomy for such things. No, he decided going to bed early tonight sounded much more inviting, given the mood he was in.
 
Reaching his room, he dimmed the lights and dug through his dresser, pulling out his night shirt and a clean pair of boxers before changing and crawling into bed.
 
Sighing contentedly, he snuggled deeper into the crisp sheets and drifted off to sleep.
 
--------------------------------------------------------