Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Unpeople ❯ Corners ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Corners
Bakura stood in the doorway heartily hanging half way still in and cried as if he was already triumphant, “I will return, and I will take the sennen items.”
With that he raced out the door and out of the palace leaping onto his horse and raced off with his followers in toe. Yami had raced to the balcony off the room to only just see the thieves disappearing out of the city leaving the buildings burning behind them, and people racing around doing their best to put the fires out. Yami turned on his heels and stalked across the room, this didn't do, that low down thief had robbed and desecrated his father's tomb stealing his eternal soul from its rest. This wouldn't do at all.
The Pharaoh's adviser Shimon followed after the young Yami. Trying his best to comfort the frazzled prince.
“Maybe a little sleep will do you good, and get this idea out of mind,” he suggested to the now pacing Pharaoh.
“No, it is to early to sleep,” Yami snapped back not really thinking about what he was doing.
The anger in Yami's voice didn't surprise or upset Shimon. He had known Yami since he was a baby, and had advised his father in the running of the country before him. He just stepped back allowing the king to continue the silent fit or anger out on the overly worn carpet. Eventually after calming down the prince did turn in for the night. Shimon bowed and left the room heading back out to where the priests and Viziers still stood, Mahado having long left with his apprentice.
“He has gone to bed,” Shimon told the faces that had turned to him.
“I still believe that we should tell him what Isis has seen,” Seth commented looking towards the closed door.
“We can not do that, and you know as such,” came a harsh reply from Akunadin, “If we tell him what has been foreseen, he could try and stop it from ever happening, and it is never wise to do as such.”
The others all nodded sadly in agreement. Those fearfully loyal to their Pharaoh did not like having to hide the foretold secret from him, but they had no choice in it, the sennen tauk had predicted the fate of the Pharaoh, and it was never wise to mess with fate.
The cavern was full of the cheering group of thieves. They had robbed a great tomb grabbing a large beyond life bounty from the dead Pharaoh, and then their great leader waved it under the Pharaoh's nose and easily got away. There was reason for much rejoicing. Beer had been bought on the way back, though half of it stolen. Food had been found grazing in the meadows and then easily taken for the great and quickly made feast. Some of the males had managed to nick some women from a harem which they had passed on the way back to their hide out.
But there was one person missing from this party, the king of thieves himself was no where to be found when the water boy returned with the asked for drink. This would be no surprise as he had left the main room with a girl on either side of himself, but he had soon sent them on their way. It wasn't the first big party that they had had, and Bakura had soon become sick of the constant drinking and feminine enjoyment. He didn't want to spoil his groups fun, or give them any idea that he might have a weakness. Knowing them, they would take his decline in constant female company at night as a weakness. But at least it left him more alert in the morning, and not having the constant hangovers meant that he was able to get to the treasures more easily. The thrill of having the females flock to him just because he was the pronounced King of Thieves had lost its adventure and interest.
Though this wasn't the problem which bode worst to the thief, his bed these days was only used when he wanted to lay somewhere to think, he could not remember the last time he had gained a proper night's sleep. The sleeping disorder was what started him on grave robbing in the first place. He had prayed to many gods to rid him of the problem but all attempts failed. Then someone told him to get a hobby to do at night, which perfectly fitted in with his want to find out what happened to his village. After many nights of searching for answers he was told by a dieing soldier who regretted to be one of those that committed the act, that it was upon order of the Pharaoh. Since then the young boy had started plotting his revenge against the royal family, and gained the wealth for it by robbing the tombs, which was also said to steal the eternal life from those buried within.
He made his way up to the top of the hide out and looked out across the expanse of sand before him. Up above him were the clear cut stars, he had managed to teach himself how to find different places by the stars, and had started to hate cloudy nights were they were gone from view. He pulled his cloak closer around him as the cold of the night soaked to his skin. In the far distance the subtle glow of the city could just be seen as a line along the dark ground. Staring across at it, he wondered what the Pharaoh who he had recently upset was doing. He could imagine he as already settled down, after having those that failed him sent to jail, and already in his royal bed lying happily in a calm sleep upon a pillow. Of such riches for those who don't deserve it, Bakura thought to himself. Why should those who only tell others what to do have all the power and gold, when those that work to the bone can barely scrap enough to buy food. But those days were behind him for himself, and those that decided to follow him to feed themselves and their families. They all risked a horrible fate if caught, which they knew, but preferred not to discuss, and made sure they didn't ride past the drying bodies of those that hadn't been as lucky with escapes. Bakura looked back up at the clear sky; there should be no moon next week.
A thin light glanced into the small den, then more artificial light from outside flooded in, as a cement like board was slide across, then after the two small figures entered, replaced to its original position.
The smaller of the two collapsed onto a old sunken mattress lying on the ground, that looked like it once belonged to a dog. The more slender of the two sat down on the ground, crossing her feet, and looking at the boy on the mattress over their knees.
“That was a close one,” the boy commented staring up at the ceiling, “but at least we won't see them for awhile.”
“You know they will just send others after us,” his partner replied, “they did for everyone else, and every other time.”
The boy sighed sitting up, “do you have to break every good thing that happens.”
“We didn't get any food,” came the reply, ignoring the actual question, “we'll have to go out tomorrow and get it.”
“Tomorrow, but that is to dangerous,” the boy replied worried, looking at the other with wide eyes.
“If we don't get food then, we won't survive much longer,” commented his friend standing up.
The small boy nodded in defeat, “Your right, well I guess we better get some sleep now then.”
Before he had finished his sentence, his friend had already fallen asleep in the corner, so he flopped backwards onto the bed, making sure not to hit his head on any of the loose springs and went into his normal rocky sleep, saying to himself that he would tell about the mirror in later, when they weren't as busy.
Yami was once again running along the path to the throne room where his father was waiting, Seth running along side getting blamed all the way. Seth was just laughing it all up, till he tripped over. Which caused the young prince to burst out laughing until he ran into Akunadin, who had just left the throne room after talking with the Pharaoh.
“Sorry,” Yami commented quickly before racing into the throne room to meet his father after his successful return from battle.
He was home, he was finally home. Yami had spent many nights staring out his window waiting for his father while his younger half brother and sister slept in the rooms below him. Yami was the crown prince and brought up as such, his mother died at his birth but that didn't stop the others in his father's harem from fussing over him, at least until their own less cared for children called for their attention leaving Yami alone again.
“Daddy,” Yami cried out happily bursting through the doors expecting to see his father in the room.
Yami's happy run was soon brought to a silencing stop as he didn't see his father anywhere in the room. Looking around he spotted someone else on his father's thrown, someone who shouldn't be there, and he was going to get rid of them that was for sure.
The young Yami stormed up to the throne and tapped on the person's knee, before looking up at the rest of them in the light. Yami's eyes were filled with horror, this wasn't a person, it was a partly rotten mummy, robbed of it's fine golden protection dedicated to the gods.
Once again Yami woke up quickly and panting. That dream had started off so good, such a happy memory, then it was ruined. Remembering the tapped face from his dream he was easily able to match it to his father's mummified face who he was recently brought to see by the damned thief. That thief had invaded his father's tomb, his home, his life and now his dreams, he really had enough.