Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It has been a super-long time since I updated, but I do have a valid excuse. Band's been eating up my time, and I've been trying to finish my summer assignments and my online courses. I've made a dent in the work, but it's nowhere near finished, and I haven't even touched my Spanish. I'll just put this up anyway because I have time and need a break.
 
Serena SilverMoon: I know it isn't soon, but it's the next chapter. This is where you'll see what happens when Yusuke's group leaves, but there's a small twist to it. You won't find out about the demon yet, but it should be soon. I can't remember when exactly they find out.
 
~*~
 
Yusuke was rudely awakened by Kuwabara yelling in his ear.
 
“Hey, Urameshi, wake up! We have to go.”
 
“Where's the fire?” he asked groggily, still half-asleep.
 
“We're deciding on what to do.”
 
“Whaddya mean?”
 
“Geez, Urameshi, you really are thick. We're deciding on whether we're leaving this place or what.”
 
“Oh, that thing. I'm comin', I'm comin'.” He hauled himself out of bed and ran his fingers through his hair. Stumbling after Kuwabara brought him to the other two members of the Reikai Tantei. Kurama looked as relaxed as he normally does, and Hiei looked cold and indifferent, as usual.
 
Kurama got them started. “I think I might know who we're looking for,” he announced. “If it is, then I know how to tell if he's in the area.”
 
“Oh? And how is that, fox?” asked Hiei skeptically.
 
“Fear. He revels in fear, so he doesn't mask his scent. It's enough to terrify the demons in the area.”
 
“That's stupid of him,” the fire Koorime commented.
 
“Yes, he is a fool in that, but he's powerful, so he doesn't feel the need to mask it. Besides, it makes my job easier. However, I must do this alone. The others don't know about me, and I'd rather they never found out.”
 
“Done. Um, how do you propose we go about telling them?” Yusuke asked, not sure of how to proceed with that part.
 
“You either tell them right as soon as I leave, or long after I leave, or don't tell them at all,” the redhead answered. “I really can't afford to have anyone follow.”
 
“Easier said than done, but okay. When are you leaving?”
 
“Soon. After breakfast is preferable, but I can leave now if we're that desperate,” he offered.
 
“No, we can't have you go on an empty stomach. That's inhuman,” Kuwabara interjected. “After breakfast it is.”
 
“Very well,” Kurama agreed, smiling.
 
“Let's go, I'm starving,” exclaimed Yusuke, already heading out the door and almost slamming right into Cye.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry,” the other boy apologized. “I didn't see you there.”
 
“Don't sweat it,” Yusuke told the Brit. “I was just heading to the kitchen. Care to join me?”
 
Cye looked surprised, but agreed to take up the offer. The other three in the room also went with them to see what food they could get (and pack, in Kurama's case) before anyone else entered. They were out of luck, though, since the other boys that were with Cye were already in there, chowing down.
 
“There you are, Cye,” called Kento. “We were going to get you up, but you and Sage were dead to the world, so we decided to let you two sleep in some.”
 
“Thanks, guys,” he called back, sitting down next to Ryo. “So, what's on the agenda today?”
 
“Replacing the storage shed,” Rowen answered him. “It collapsed last night, since Kento took away one of the beams that held it up.”
 
“Why did he do that?” Kuwabara asked, confused.
 
“Remember? The villagers charged us, and he used one of the columns holding the thing up to stop them for a short time.”
 
“Oh, yeah.” He laughed sheepishly. “Forgot for a sec.”
 
“There are still people who are hurt and will need tending,” Rowen mused aloud. “That'll take up some time. Then there's that demon you're looking for.”
 
“We're taking care of that today,” Kurama said smoothly. “If he isn't here, then we'll tell you and look somewhere else.”
 
“How can you do that?” Kento asked, his curiosity peaked.
 
“We have our ways,” was Kurama's mysterious answer.
 
The rest of breakfast was filled with small talk. The girls came in sometime during the early beginnings of it, but they didn't say much. After they were done, Kurama excused himself to get ready to leave. Only the four of them knew this, of course. At least, that's what they thought.
 
He came out with his pack and started towards the door. “Good luck,” Yusuke called to him.
 
“Yeah, find him quick,” Kuwabara added in.
 
“Just hurry, fox,” was Hiei's form of good-bye.
 
“I shall hope to return soon, but I don't know if that's possible,” Kurama stated. “I won't be gone for too long, though. Good-bye and good luck in repelling other demons.”
 
“Where do you think you're going?” a voice behind them demanded. Spinning around, they faced an angry Jordan, hands on hips and pack over shoulder. “Well?”
 
“Out,” Kurama told her shortly. “And alone.”
 
“I don't think so, buster,” she retorted. “I'm going with you.”
 
“No, I can't take anyone with me,” he said firmly. “I won't be responsible for looking after you. I can't do that and look for our demon.”
 
“Who said you'd have to?” she questioned, striding forward. “Whether you like it or not, I'm going with you.”
 
This'll put a heavy drain on his self-control, or rather, Yoko's, Yusuke heard Hiei say. But when he looked over at the short fire apparition, he was still looking at Jordan and Kurama. Did he just broadcast that thought to me? That's not like him.
 
“It's not a good idea to go out in Makai if you don't know what you're doing,” Hiei was telling Jordan. “You could end up getting both yourself and him killed.”
 
Now her eyes were flashing. “I do know what I'm doing, he doesn't have to take care of me, and I HATE it when people try and tell me what to do,” she said with quiet intensity. “You're not going to win this argument, boys. If you make me stay here, I'll just end up following him.”
 
“I think we're on the losing side,” Kurama said, defeated. “Very well, you may come. But if you fall behind, I won't wait for you.”
 
“You won't have to,” she declared. Setting off after Kurama, she never looked back.
 
“Who votes that she didn't tell anyone that she was going, and that job falls to us?” Yusuke asked. The vote was unanimous, even Hiei raised his hand. Looks like we have quite a job to do and I don't know if we'll live through this one.