Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ A Fox and his Mother ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A Fox and his Mother

Calikocat

Word count: 1008

Hiei/Kuwabara or Hieibara if you prefer. XD

A/N: Kurama and his mother run into Hiei and Kuwabara while they're shopping.

XXX

Kurama watched his mother with a sort of content smile. This second marriage was good for her, she was happy. It was good to see her looking so content and youthful as she bargained with the vendors in the marketplace.

“Suiichi?”

“Yes Mother.”

“Isn't that your friends? The nice boys who make such a sweet couple.”

He gave her a sort of unsure smile, for some reason she seemed to gush and revert to a giggling school girl when Kuwabara and Hiei were brought up. Though her open-mindedness was something to be commended.

“Kuwabara-kun and Hiei-san?”

“Yes, that's them. When did they adopt?”

He blinked. Kuwabara and Hiei had a child? “What?”

She smiled and pointed. “Look.” He followed the direction with his eyes until he caught sight of them.

They were standing close together, while Hiei was inspecting the produce of a vendor carefully. He was probably haggling with the vendor over the price...or possibly insulting his lineage from the long suffering expression on Kuwabara's face. It looked like the larger male had his hands full playing referee between his mate and the shop owner.

And there, strapped safely to Kuwabara's broad chest in a carrier was a young child, a boy no more than a year old. Kurama stared in shock. Sensing their gaze, or more than likely his aura Kuwabara looked their way, blinked, and waved them over.

Shiori did not need any further invitation; she promptly grabbed his hand and dragged him toward his friends. Kurama nearly dropped their basket of groceries.

Kuwabara gave him an amused smile when they reached them. “Hey Suiichi.”

“Kuwabara-kun.” Kurama gave Hiei a questioning glance. “Hiei-san.” Hiei was still glaring at the vendor.

Kuwabara put his hand on Hiei's shoulder. “If you haggle too much he won't sell it at all Hiei.”

Hiei rolled his eyes and handed the money to the owner who looked relieved and more than a little amused. Shiori giggled and gently pat the child's cheek.

“Such a cute boy. Wherever did you find him?”

Hiei smirked, which gave Kurama a little uncomfortable chill. Kuwabara however snorted. “That's a long story better left untold Shiori-san.”

She gave them a curious look and shrugged a little. “What is his name?”

Hiei added the food he'd bought to their bag and smiled...just a little. “Hari.”

Kurama could only handle so much curiosity, he was no cat...but foxes are inquisitive creatures. “When did you adopt him?”

Kuwabara smiled sheepishly. “Not too long ago. We just told Keiko and Urameshi a few days ago.” He sighed and gave a sidelong glance at his mate before meeting Kurama's eyes. “It’s been a complicated and sudden process.”

Ah, Hiei'd done something he shouldn't, something that complicated things. He gave Kuwabara a sympathetic and encouraging smile, not everyone would have been able to handle Hiei with such ease. Still...it wasn't a position he envied.

Shiori was ignoring their byplay, or simply hadn't noticed it since she was playing with Hari-chan and cooing at him. Then the beads of her blue bracelet turned red, the same color as his hair. Kurama's eyes widened, not just from the color change, but from the little burst of magic Hari had used.

Hiei was smirking and Kuwabara was desperately trying to think of an explanation. “Uh...that...”

Shiori smiled. “Kuwabara-san...you wouldn't happen to be from the clan that removed itself from a secret magical world that exists beside our own would you?”

Kurama felt better when even Hiei's eyes widened a bit. Though he needed more information...and now. “Mother?”

Shiori gave him a sort of apologetic smile. “Sorry Suiichi, but you never got a letter to attend a magical school so I assumed you hadn't inherited your father's talent with magic.” She looked at him, intently, as if she could truly see him as he was. “But...you're still very special...aren't you.” Her look was very knowing.

“I suppose I am.” Though how in the world she'd figured that out was a mystery to him.

Kuwabara was not helping in the slightest as he was barely keeping his laughter to himself. He did however manage to get his breathing back to normal enough to continue the discussion. “The clan is going back to that world Shiori-san. Could you tell me what you know of it?”

Her smiled was one of melancholy. “I only know what my late husband told me. He did mention several times that the most powerful clan in Japan had left their society when he was a child. It left them crippled.”

“I didn't know that last part...but it’s time for us to go back.”

She smiled. “Suiichi's father still has relatives who are part of that society. I'll let them know the head of the Kuwabara clan is a close friend of the family and my Suiichi.”

Hiei looked at her curiously, just enough to make Kurama nervous. “Your relatives have a great deal of influence?”

“Some. But you'll need friends already on the inside.”

Hiei nodded at that little pearl of wisdom. “You have our thanks.”

She shook her head. “Think nothing of it, but you must come to our home and join us for dinner some night. Now, come along Suiichi, we'll see you three in a few days.”

Kurama barely had time to wave goodbye as he was dragged away, much to Kuwabara and Hiei's amusement. Hari-chan just watched them with a curious gaze.

“Suiichi.”

“Yes Mother?”

“If you don't want to get married to a nice girl, I'd be perfectly happy with a son-in-law. You can adopt, like your friends have.”

“Mother!”

She continued. “That boy you brought by the hospital all those years ago. He was handsome.”

“He's married Mother.”

Shiori smiled at him. “Then we must look harder.”

Kurama sighed and let her lead him through the crowd.

XXX