Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Kuwabara Clan: Reinstated ( Chapter 13 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Kuwabara Clan: Reinstated

Calikocat

Word count: 1846

Hiei/Kuwabara or Hieibara if you prefer. XD

A/N: The Kuwabara Clan's official return.

XXX

Kazuma shifted Hari to his hip as they walked down the street of one of Tokyo's magical districts. There weren't really very many shops here because this was where most official and government business was done.

They were headed toward one building in particular, one where a thin man stood outside waiting for them. From this distance they could just discern some of the man's features.

Hiei nodded toward the man. “There is a resemblance.”

Kagome peered around them curiously, Shippo's hand never leaving hers. “Resemblance to who?”

Kazuma gave her a smile. “Our friend. His mother contacted their relatives. The Minamino Clan has a place here. And it helps that one of them is a lawyer.”

When they reached the representative of the Minamino clan he was greeted with a kind smile. There was definitely a resemblance to Kurama; though this man’s eyes and hair were a deep brown. “Kuwabara-san?”

Kazuma nodded. “Minamino-san?”

Minamino smiled and nodded. “Yes, it is a pleasure to meet you...but it would be wise to call one another by our given names today.”

Hiei smirked at the man's cleverness and Kazuma nodded in agreement. “Good idea. The more familiar our clans seem, the stronger we look.”

“Precisely. You may call me Keita.”

Kazuma smiled. “Then I'm Kazuma. This is my mate Hiei, our son Hari, and my cousin Higurashi Kagome and her son Shippo.”

Keita smiled and gave them all a small bow. “Good to meet you all. If you'll follow me I'll take you to the clan record keepers.” Kazuma nodded and they followed Keita inside the building. The doors slid open automatically on a little brush of magic.

Kagome looked at them curiously as they walked through them. “Wouldn't it be just as good to use electric automatic doors?”

Keita shook his head as he led them through the lobby. “Magic and technology tend to cancel one another out. But here in the east we do try to blend in better. Westerners waste energy on flashy or ridiculous charades. By putting our shops and government buildings in plain sight we don't have to worry so much about the magic becoming...quirky. I've heard stories of wizards in the west becoming stuck in walls when their hidden passages failed them.”

Kagome let out a sigh as they entered a long corridor. “Things were a lot easier five-hundred years ago. Everyone knew magic was real then.”

Keita gave her an odd sort of look. “I suppose, however there is research being done to make technology more tolerant of magic, it’s something researchers hope to one day achieve.” He led them to a rather plain wooden door, labeled Clan Records and opened it. They followed him in.

A woman was sitting on a stool behind a long counter inside the room. She looked up at them and smiled at Keita. “Minamino-kun! Has your wife given birth yet? I thought for sure there would be an announcement!”

Keita returned her smile even as he shook his head. “No, no. The baby hasn't arrived yet. I'm here helping my friend Kazuma.” He motioned to the rest of them.

She took in their appearance, which really wasn't much different from Keita's and continued to smile. “How may I help you?”

Kazuma smiled back. “I'd like to register my clan.”

“Oh, are you new to the city? Country?”

“No. I've lived here all my life.”

Her smile lessened and became apologetic. “I'm sorry but I can't let a first generation wizard register his family.”

Kazuma continued to smile; there was no need to be mean...even if Hiei did look a bit twitchy. “I'm sorry. I should have worded my request differently. My name is Kuwabara Kazuma. Current head of the Kuwabara Clan. Now, I would like to update the clan's records.”

Her eyes had grown wide and she stood, her body shook just a bit as she looked at him with sudden respect and curiosity. “Y-yes, right away Kuwabara-sama! Just let me get the proper scroll.” She scurried to one of the many file cabinets behind her, deemed it no help and began to search another one. The second one seemed to be of more help as she returned with a scroll that bore the Kuwabara crest. “Here. I...I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.” Hiei glared at her and she looked away.

Kazuma nudged his mate and gave the woman a gentle smile. “Don't feel badly. You couldn't have known.”

She looked a little relieved and unrolled the scroll, placing paper weights on the corners to hold it in position. She then drew out a small blade and offered it to him.

Kazuma shook his head. “We don't need it.”

The woman gave him a confused look. “A drop of blood is required.”

Hiei continued to glare at her as held up a glass vile. “We already have it prepared.”

“That's a little unorthodox.”

“Are you questioning us?”

She gulped and shook her head. “No, but that's a lot of blood.”

Kagome stepped forward and but a hand on Hiei's shoulder. “Hiei-ni, stop scaring the poor woman.” Hiei tried to glare at Kagome but gave up when she just continued to smile...though the smile was starting to look a little sinister. Kagome addressed the woman. “Many members of the clan offered their blood. We want the records to be as accurate as possible.”

Hiei snorted and uncorked the vile and poured the blood on the scroll. They watched in fascination as the blood disappeared and the faded names on the scroll changed color depending on the clan member's status. Those that were deceased were in grey. Then new names began to appear. It seemed that the American branch was larger than they thought. It was a good sight, seeing the family tree complete.

“Will there be anything else?”

Kazuma nodded. “Kagome and I,” He motioned to his cousin, “would like to bind our adoptive sons into the clan. They need to show up in all our records.”

Keita stepped forward then and handed a folder to the woman. “As Kazuma's lawyer I've followed procedure.”

She accepted the folder and looked over the paperwork. “Everything is in order. They're blood still needs to be added.”

Hiei withdrew his own knife, and gently took one of Hari's hands in his, quickly pricking a tiny finger. He squeezed just a drop onto the tip of the blade and flicked it on the scroll. Hari whimpered and Hiei smiled before licking the tiny wound closed. Hari was all smiles again. Hiei handed the blade to Kagome, who accepted it and turned to her own son. Shippo solemnly held out his hand and she pricked one of his fingers and the small fox reached up on his own to squeeze a drop of blood onto the scroll. As it soaked into the parchment he popped his finger into his mouth and Kagome wiped the knife with a handkerchief before giving it back to Hiei.

The woman watched the new names appear on the scroll and asked. “Is there anything else?” She looked like she really didn't want to know.

Keita continued to smile kindly at the woman. “Kawano-san, a blank banner if you please.” The woman, Kawano, nodded and retrieved a plain white bolt of silk and held it out to Kazuma. He smiled, handed Hari to Hiei and accepted the blank wall hanging.

“Thank you for your help today Kawano-san.”

She nodded, though she looked dazed and exhausted from their meeting. “You're welcome.”

Keita chuckled and opened the door to the corridor. “This way Kazuma.” They followed him out, leaving a frazzled Kawano slumping on her stool. Keita led them back to the lobby, finding a blank spot on the wall among all of the other banners, each with a family emblem. Keita retrieved his wand from his sleeve as Kazuma held up the fabric, a brief incantation later and the white silk was hanging on the wall. “Your energy is all that is needed.

Kazuma nodded, and Kagome whispered in his ear. “Kazuma-ni, we have an audience.”

He gave a brief look around them; quite a few people were staring in open curiosity. He smirked and said loudly. “Let them watch.” He then placed his hand on the fabric and applied some of his reiki to it. The plain white silk flooded with color, orange, red and a touch of blue, and then bold black characters appeared in the center. Kuwabara. There was a series of gasps from the onlookers. Kazuma grinned and looked at Keita. “Thanks Keita. Feel like joining us for lunch?”

Keita returned the grin. “I'd love to. Follow me. There's a good shop not far from here.” They turned to follow him out and Kazuma's arm automatically found Hiei's shoulder's to rest on, pulling his mate and child closer to him. Kagome walked behind them, Shippo's hand in hers, all of them were smiling in amusement.

And, for a second Kazuma let his reiki glow bright, letting his power fill the room, the others followed suit, Hiei's youki flowing and mixing with his. Kagome's gentle, but powerful pink aura interestingly enough did nothing to the demonic auras of Hiei and Shippo, a loud declaration that she and the demons were of one clan. And little Shippo let his glamour drop for all the watching wizards and witches to see. And Hari laughed and snowflakes of every color started to fall.

Then they exited the building, hiding their power once more...though a quick glance behind them showed the snowflakes were still falling.

Keita was doing his best not to double over in laughter. “Suiichi was right. You do know how to put on a show.”

Hiei snorted and eyed Keita in amusement. “You obviously do not know your cousin well.”

That brought the man up short and he gave them a questioning look. “Little straight A student Suiichi?”

“That isn't our story to tell.” Kazuma gave Hiei a look, Hiei did not look ashamed. “Let's get some lunch. Our treat.”

“Great! I'm starving!” Shippo bounced ahead to drag Keita toward wherever their destination was.

xxx

“Kawano-san?”

Kawano Kumiko looked up at her superior, an older man with graying hair. “Yes Sakamoto-sama?”

“Do you know what's happened?” She nodded wordlessly and showed him the paper work...and the scroll. He ignored them for a moment longer, too excited. “The Kuwabara Clan has returned...oh...” He looked closer at the documents and smiled. “Oh look at this! Very clever, very clever indeed.” At her confused look he pointed at the name of Kuwabara Kazuma's adopted son. Kuwabara Hari. However beside it another name appeared showing the child's birth name. Potter Harry.”

Kawano Kumiko simply stared in shock. Her superior, Sakamoto Renji laughed until he cried.

XXX