Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Gossip across the Pond ( Chapter 24 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Gossip across the Pond

calikocat

word count: 3047

A/N: So I decided to not go with the usual of calling Harry's kind of magic users Wand Wavers or Wand Users...I'm being different and calling them Wanders. Heh. Also we're somewhere in the middle of season one of Buffy...The Pack hasn't happened yet.

XXX

Rupert Giles nearly spilled his tea when his fireplace erupted in green flame. It had been on a whim really when he'd had it hooked up to the International Floo Network. He'd never actually expected anyone to contact him with it, the council tended to use the phone, and his contact with the Wanders were few these days.

Nevertheless, a familiar if aged face appeared in the green flames. Arthur Weasley. Lord, he hadn't seen the man since they were boys and his father had pulled him out of Hogwarts to begin his training as a Watcher.

“Hello there, Rupes. Not a bad time is it? I was unsure of the time difference and what not.”

Taking a calming breath he shook his head. “No, no. I'm still awake.” He moved closer to the green flames. “To what do I owe this call Art?”

“Can't a bloke call an old mate to see how he's doing?”

Giles raised a brow. “Cut the crap Arthur.”

“Fine, fine. Molly says hello by the way.”

“Tell her the same from me, now get to it.”

“Right...well I wasn't sure if you'd heard the news or not...but...Tell me Rupes, have you ever heard of a Magical Family in Japan by the name of Kuwabara?”

“I have, they were at one point the singular most powerful family in Japan.”

“At one point my foot, they've rejoined Japan's Magical Society, and with a vengeance. Not only have they adopted Harry Potter, but they've managed to prove Sirius Black innocent. And the clan head has put a restraining order on Dumbledore of all people. Couldn't quite get the full story on that, but I know Dumbledore spent some time in a hospital on his trip to meet the Kuwabara Clan Head.”

“He always was a meddling and calculating man.”

Arthur seemed thoughtful for a moment. “I had never really thought so...until he evidently let Sirius Black be taken, even when he suspected the poor boy was innocent.”

“You do realize the old goat encourages the house rivalries that keeps you lot from truly becoming one people.”

“You're one of us Rupes.”

“Hardly. And while this is interesting Art, I don't think you'd call just to share a bit of gossip.”

“Too right. As you know I do work for the Ministry now.”

“Yes.”

“Well, I managed to get a peek at the full Kuwabara Family tree...”

“And?”

“You have slayer now, a Buffy Summers?”

A little chill went through him. “Arthur?”

“She's on the tree Rupert. I thought you should know. Your slayer's mother, a Joyce Summers, was born into the Blanc Clan and her mother is a Kuwabara.”

“Good lord...I don't suppose you were able to make a copy?”

“There wasn't time...and I didn't want to get fired. I wasn't even supposed to be in the record room.”

“That's fine, I understand.” He sighed and set his tea down, it was cold now anyway. “This will change things. If Buffy's mother is from a magical family...her calling won't have to be kept a secret.”

“I don't have to remind you the stories we heard about the Blancs.” Arthur's voice held a warning.

“No, I remember. Old Blood Purists that make the Blacks and Malfoys look like surly puppies. Of course there are exceptions to every family, such as Sirius and Andromeda.”

“True. What are you going to do?”

“I suppose I shall have to talk to Mrs. Summers.”

xxx

Of course that was easier said than done. The first thing he had to do was make sure Buffy did not see him approach her home, so he waited until his slayer was well on her way to school. He waited down the block, behind a tree, having left his car at a nearby park, not wanting her to spot it. It was rather recognizable.

As soon as it was clear he approached the modest home and rang the bell. A rather attractive woman opened the door and it took a moment for him to get his bearings. “Mrs. Summers?”

“Yes?”

“I'm Rupert Giles, the librarian at your daughter's school.”

“Oh...is there a problem? We haven't been here long enough for there to be an overdue book fee.”

“I'm afraid it’s a little more serious than that...may I come in?”

“I'd rather we stay on the porch.”

He nodded. “Fair enough, one can never be too careful on the Hellmouth.”

Her eyes widened and she stepped back inside, ready close the door in his face. “Who are you?”

Giles sighed. “I'm your daughter's Watcher.”

Her knees began to quake and she sagged against the door frame. “Oh my god...Buffy is the Slayer?”

“Yes...”

“So why are you telling me?”

“It was brought to my attention last night...that you are part of the Kuwabara Clan...and the less favorable Blanc Clan.”

“I didn't think the Watchers dealt with the Wanders much.”

He gave little snort. “My father would agree with that mentality; he pulled me out of Hogwarts during my fifth year there so that I could begin my training.”

She stepped out on the porch and motioned to one of the chairs. “Please, have a seat.” Once they were seated she seemed to...shrink in on herself. “I thought the Kuwabara trait was manifesting in such a way that it was driving her mad. If for a moment I'd known she'd been called...god. We locked her up; put her in an institution for weeks after she burned down the gym. It was really the breaking point for her father.”

“You couldn't have known, her Watcher would have forbidden her to tell you. However, with your family background the rules have changed a bit. It brings you into the loop so to speak. There is an understanding between the Council and the Wanders that any girl from a magical family is to be kept informed at all times of their daughter's status and activities.”

“Thank heaven for that...oh...do Xander and Willow know?”

“Yes, I'm afraid they stumbled into all this rather suddenly.”

Joyce smiled. “It’s a part of the Kuwabara trait coming through, bringing them together. They're cousins you know.”

“What?”

“I'll show you my copy of the Family Tree later, but Xander and Willow's mothers are both part of the clan. Xander's mother, Jonessa, was a LaVelle, and our mothers are sisters...and Willow's mother, Sheila, was born a Kuwabara; Sheila's father is a brother to our mothers. And we're only from one branch, the tree is quite large.”

There was a loud pop, and a moment later another woman stuck her head out of the house to peer at them. The woman frowned. “I invite you on a shopping trip to LA and you invite company?”

Joyce snorted. “This is Rupert Giles. He's Buffy's Watcher...Mr. Giles, this is my cousin, Jonessa Harris, Xander's mother.”

Giles gazed at the woman, her brown eyes identical to Xander's, though her deep auburn hair was a bit of a contrast. “Oh, hello.”

Jonessa wrinkled her nose. “Watcher?” Her eyes widened and she gaped at her cousin. “That means...your daughter is a slayer?” Then, her gaze became a little distant and thoughtful. “I've always wondered why Xander's aura shone so brightly when he was born...and has continued to do so. Sometimes I think he's the reason Willow's aura remains so pure and untouched. He's unknowingly shielding her.” She grinned. “Our kids are destined for great things Joyce.”

Giles cleared his throat. “Perhaps you could start from the beginning?”

Jonessa shrugged. “Sure. You can listen and gossip with us on the drive to LA...you do have magic don't you?”

“Oh yes...I did manage to find a tutor to continue my education after my father forced me to leave school.”

“Good, you can help me show Joyce the ropes and help us pick out some new birds for communication.”

He smiled. “I haven't owned an owl since I was a boy.”

Joyce gave her cousin a puzzled look. “I thought we needed a water fowl...”

Jonessa waved them both off. “Only the Europeans use owls exclusively, and you're right, for international post you need a water fowl. So come on, let’s get going, I'm out of practice and would rather not have you riding shotgun as I attempted to apparate us to the right district.

Joyce looked at him. “Do you mind going along?”

“Not at all. It’s been too long since I did a proper bit of shopping. I dare say I shall find something useful.”

xxx

“I don't even know where to start.” Joyce confessed as they looked about the courtyard.

Their first stop upon reaching LA was the United Mages Bank where Jonessa had taken out a considerable sum of money for herself and he had his own transferred from his 'Muggle' account. Both of them were footing the bill, Jonessa because she was family and he because as Buffy's Water he was responsible for her. And slayer or not, once the Blanc Clan located them, there would more than likely be an attempt on their lives. Especially after what he had learned from Joyce. He had more than growing respect for both women, each as fierce and protective of their children as a lioness.

He smiled at Joyce. “Take your time and choose whichever you want.”

“Are you sure about paying?”

“Positive. The sooner your Clan Head knows your situation the safer the two of you will be.”

She nodded and turned to her cousin. “What are you choosing?”

“We already have two ducks, little Mallard Drakes, named Quasimodo and Buddy.”

“Who on earth named them?” Giles asked.

“Xander.”

“Does he know what they're for?”

“Nope, they were his Easter present last year. They're the first pets he's ever had and he's very good with them. They were only a few days old when we got them...but you'll want something older that can fly Joyce...Joyce?”

Joyce was already kneeling in front of one of the pens in the courtyard that housed the many breeds of bird. “She's beautiful...it is a she?”

They moved closer and Jonessa nodded, “Looks like she might be a Runner or at least part Runner. The mundane variety doesn't fly...we'll have to ask about the magical variety. Excuse me.”

A worker with a name tag came when Jonessa waved at him. “Find what you're looking for?”

“Do the magical Runners fly?”

“Yes, very well in fact. Are you interested in Lila?”

Joyce looked up from the little brown duck she'd been admiring. “Lila?”

The worker shrugged. “Sometimes the breeders name them before they bring them to the store. The young lady who brought Lila in named her that because she kept building her nest in the middle of a lilac bush.”

“I'll take her.”

The worker smiled. “Will you be paying in magical or mainstream currency?”

Giles raised a brow. “Magical...you accept both? I'm assuming mainstream means non-magical.”

The worker rolled his eyes. “Yeah, and geeze, you Brits are so old fashioned. You realize you're totally getting left behind by not integrating more with the non-magicals.”

“Actually I've been living among the non-magicals since my father pulled me out of magic school.”

“Oh...where did you go? That old Hog Place?”

Giles bristled a bit, even as he snorted. “Yes.”

“Dude, I've heard their curriculum hasn't been updated in over hundred years. Who does that? New spells are being made and recorded all the time. There's good money in getting them patented.”

Giles stared a bit and shook his head. “I had no idea.”

“Oh yeah, Britain and a lot of Europe are pretty much a laughing stock to the rest of us.”

“I see...” Giles looked around at the other pens. “I don't suppose you have another duck that I could use for international post?”

“Lila has a sister named Daisy.”

“Perfect.”

xxx

Xander peered around Buffy as they entered her home through the kitchen door. “Hey Buff, you sure about this?”

“Of course I'm sure. Mom won't mind you guys staying for supper. It’s supposed to be pizza night anyway.”

“What about Giles?” Willow asked. “Weren't you supposed to train with him before patrol?”

“If Watcher-Man wants me to take my destiny seriously he should have phoned ahead and said he was playing hooky.” Buffy retorted as she led them through the house and into the living room. “Hey Mom, Giles...Giles?” Her eyes were wide in surprise. “And um...strange lady I don't know?”

Willow and Xander had frozen in place just as she had. “Mom?” Xander asked unsure.

“What's going on?” Willow asked.

Giles was the first to speak. “I suggest you three sit down. This will take some explaining.”

“Is there another Apocalypse?” Buffy asked, going to sit on the couch, her friends joining her. “Cause we just had one of those what with the Harvest and all.”

“No, no not to my knowledge.” He cleared his throat. “Joyce, where would you like to begin?”

She nodded. “First, Buffy I want to apologize. For what happened before...when you tried to tell us about the vampires. I should have believed you...I was just...so scared.”

Buffy grew very, very still. “You locked me up.”

“I know, and I can't ever say I'm sorry enough for it. I was just...my abilities never fully developed...and I was afraid they had gone wrong with you...that they'd driven you mad.”

“Abilities?”

Joyce took a deep breath. “We're from a long line of magic users Buffy. Initially, my mother's family, the Kuwabara Clan, was...is the most powerful magical family in Japan. My grandfather Seiji Kuwabara came here and established the American branch of the clan.”

“Witches?” Buffy asked. “Like Crazy Catherine who just recently tried to kill us?”

“No.” Giles told her. “There are many different kinds of magic. What Catherine Madison did...was very dark. Nothing like the Kuwabara Clan.”

“Giles told us about that.” Joyce winced. “Unfortunately that sounds like something the Blanc Clan would be capable of...that would be my father's family. He himself would never do that though which...is why we're telling you this now.” Her eyes flicked to the other woman. “Jonessa?”

She nodded. “See, your mom and I are related. First cousins actually, close your mouth Xander.” He did with an audible snap. “And we were in hiding for different reasons, me because I've been waiting for things to fall into place...Joyce because the Blanc Clan sent assassins after her to wipe her off their family tree because her lack of powers brought shame to their Old Blood Nazi way of thinking.”

“Wow, your mom can babble Xan.”

“I noticed.”

“So I went into hiding.” Joyce murmured. “I faked my death during the last attack during college...and I only told one person I was still alive. She was my secret keeper. Our cousin, Shelia, who is also Willow’s mother.”

Willow nodded. “I found mom's copy of the family tree a few weeks ago...I'm kinda still trying to deal with my Xander crush...since we're cousins and all.”

Xander's eyes bugged a bit. “Me and Wills? Huh, no wonder you've always felt like family.” He smiled at her and she smiled back. “Wanna help me deal with the yuck that I'm now feeling since I've been crushing on cousin Buffy?”

Buffy blinked and looked at him. “Since when?”

He rolled his eyes. “Since I laid eyes on you Buffster.”

“Huh...we're gonna need therapy after all this...I can tell.”

“If you're done?” Jonessa asked them with a smile... “Wait...Xander, why aren't you freaking out about the magic part?”

He shrugged. “I found an old photo album with moving pictures...and you're real name. How else could that happen but magic.”

“Oh.”

Joyce hid a smile. “Moving on...recently the main branch of the Kuwabara Clan has rejoined Japan's magical society. They've been reinstated and the family records updated...so the Blanc Clan will know by now that I'm not dead...and that I've shamed them further by having a daughter. So...I'm going to contact the Head of the Kuwabara Clan, we'll need all the help and support we can get.”

Jonessa groaned. “Just think about what Grandpa Seiji is gonna say once he finds us. We'll be scolded, and badly.”

Joyce nodded. “After he and Grandma Emiko are done hugging us.”

Xander just sort of stared at them. “We have relatives that like us? Really? When can we meet them?”

“Probably sooner than we think.”

xxx

“So...” Willow's voice was quiet as they all stared blankly at the wall of Buffy's room. “Second cousins...all of us.”

Buffy wrinkled her nose. “Has anyone really processed that yet?”

“Nope...I'm still dealing with the yuck factor.”

“It'll get easier.” Willow gave his shoulder a pat. “It'll just take a while.”

“So...” Buffy glanced at Xander. “How's that crush doing?”

He shuddered. “Would you be offended if I said it left the building an hour ago, disappearing to parts unknown never to be seen again?”

She grinned at him. “Not at all. Wills?”

“Mine didn't run screaming...it kind of just...melted...slowly like chocolate until there was messy goo that I think I'm finally ready to just wash away.” They stared at her. “Hey, at least I'm ready to be over it.”

Xander fell back onto the bed they'd been sitting on. “Ugh. Can we have pizza now and just get on with our lives?”

“You know what Xan, that's the best idea I've heard all night.”

XXX