Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Mail Across the Pacific ( Chapter 25 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Mail Across the Pacific

calikocat

Word count: 750

Hiei/Kuwabara

XXX

Kazuma nearly had a heart attack when the little brown duck flew through the front door that he had opened it on his way to check the mail. It swooped around the large living room and landed on the low table in front of the couch, just where Sirius and Hari had been playing with some charmed wooden blocks that danced when one whistled the right tune.

The blocks scattered when the duck landed, and Sirius held back a curse as he removed an envelope attached to the duck. “You have a letter.”

Kazuma stared. “A letter? Delivered by a duck?”

The man shrugged. “I'd have sent one by owl.”

He shook his head and accepted the letter, smiling at Hari who was now petting the duck...and trying to feed it his cheerios...huh. Who knew ducks liked cheerios?

Hiei raised a brow at the scene as he came down the stairs. “Do I even want to know?”

“The duck brought a letter, I was just gonna read it.” He sat in a chair and shifted when Hiei squeezed in beside him. He opened the letter and they began to read.

 

To the Head of the Kuwabara Clan,

My name is Summers Joyce. I am the granddaughter of Kuwabara Seiji, who was your grandfather Akira’s younger brother. It came to my attention recently that the clan has been reinstated and the records updated. And while this is cause for great celebration...I have found that it has to put me in a precarious predicament.

To understand you must first know that my mother, your aunt, Kiku married into the Blanc clan. My father’s family is considered very old and has several deeply held beliefs. One such has lead to me hiding from them for several years for I was born with almost no abilities or power to speak of. For such an Old Blood clan this was seen as a weakness and their very honor demanded recourse. As my existence was seen as the blight of the bloodline they disowned my father, Blanc Calvin, and our family. They felt it was their duty to make sure the weakness would not survive; so while I was in college they moved to remove me from their Family Tree. It nearly worked… and so I took the opportunity presented to me and disappeared.

My ruse worked well and no more assassins came for me. During that time the Blanc clan welcomed my father back with loving arms as my sisters are magical. However a cousin told me recently that he cut ties with them after my 'death'. Regardless I fear that the renewal of the Kuwabara Clan Family Tree has sparked a smaller renewal of the Blanc Family Tree. By now they'll know I'm alive and I fear for the safety of my daughter, your cousin, Buffy as well as myself. When they send another assassin, and I feel in my bones they will, then Buffy will be targeted as well. Therefore I ask you, Kuwabara Kazuma, Head of the Kuwabara Clan, for protection. If you cannot accept us both into the family then I humbly ask that you accept my daughter in honor of her grandfather.

I apologize if my request comes at a bad time...but I am left with little choice. If you wish to write a response, Lila, the duck, will deliver it to me...if you wish to come yourself...I live in Southern California in a small town called Sunnydale.

Sincerely,

Summers Joyce

 

They stared at the letter a moment longer and Kazuma sighed. “I did tell Seiji I'd help him find the ones that were missing.”

“Are you going to have him meet us there in that place? Sunnydale?”

“Probably.” He glanced at Sirius. “What's the fastest way to get to California?”

Sirius shrugged. “Portkey I guess. Keita might know of a better way that would be easier for traveling with Hari.”

Hiei snorted. “Or we could just have Botan take us through a portal.”

Kazuma nodded. “What do you think Sirius?”

“I think you're asking the wrong guy. If you're wanting to leave soon...I'll be in the city with Shizuru.”

“Do I even want to know why you're spending so much time with my sister?”

“I'm not going to discuss that with you, attractive as I find her I'd rather die than piss her off.”

Hiei smirked. “She chose well.”

Kazuma rolled his eyes.

XXX