Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Hellmouth Hidden ( Chapter 28 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hellmouth Hidden

calikocat

Word count: 909

XXX

Seiji had just apparated home and was determined to fix a pot of tea. His progress from the living room to the kitchen, however, was halted by his wife who apparated right in front of him. He jumped, hand to his heart.

“Dear gods and goddesses, Emiko! Don't do that!”

“Seiji.” Her green eyes were wide, tears just starting to fall from them.

“What's happened?”

“A letter.” She held up a piece of paper in a shaking hand, the other clutched an envelope. “From Kazuma-sama.” Seiji took the letter and began to read it.

 

<i>Seiji-san,</i>

<i>I thought you should know that I received a letter from Summers Joyce requesting protection from the Blanc Clan. I already sent a reply though I'm not sure how long it will take Lila the duck to deliver it. We were pretty surprised when a duck flew in the house with a letter from her.</i>

<i>From what I could tell she and her daughter are doing well, but I thought you would want to know where they are. She revealed her location in the letter. She and her daughter live in Sunnydale, California. I hope this helps.</i>

<i>With Respect,</i>

<i>Kuwabara Kazuma</i>

 

Seiji sank to the floor beside Emiko. “The Hellmouth.”

She nodded, face wet and pale. “It’s the perfect place to hide.”

They shared a look, a sudden thought occurring to them both. “Emiko...you don't think...?”

“That Jonessa could be there too?”

“Is it possible?”

She wiped away her tears, and a determination took hold of her. No one in their family could defy her resolve face. “I think we should find out.”

They both jumped when the phone rang and Emiko was up like a shot to answer it, putting it on speaker without a second thought. “Hello?”

“GranGran?”

Emiko smiled and wiped away her tears. “Yuzuki-chan, what a surprise.”

Yuzuki's voice was hesitant. “GranGran...have you been crying?”

A chuckle. “You could tell?”

“Your voice... and a feeling. Did something happen?”

“Just our thoughts running away with us. Did you need something?”

“I...I got phone call.”

“Oh?”

“From Nee-san.”

Seiji was up off the floor in an instant and at Emiko's side and they stared down at the phone in shock. “Jonessa?”

“Hey Grandpa!”

“Yuzuki, you really heard from your sister?”

“Yep. Nee-san called me and told me a lot of things. Sheila’s been keeping secrets.”

Emiko's eyes met his, and he knew their granddaughter Sheila was going to get a scolding. “Is that so?” He asked.

“You'd think it was bad enough that she's turned her back on magic, but I guess that's why Joyce-nee and Nee-san used her as their secret keeper.”

“Do you know where your sister is?” Emiko asked.

“Sunnydale. Just where Joyce-nee is...Sheila lives there too.”

Seiji grit his teeth. “All of this, because she herself doesn't have much power.”

“That's...I don't know Grandpa. I mean...everything seems to be happening at once. Maybe Sheila’s job was to keep them safe all this time. Keeping secrets is Sheila’s specialty after all.”

“She's right.” Emiko took his hand in hers and gave it a comforting squeeze. “Once Sheila knows a secret she'll never tell it. She can even spell herself against letting something slip, just in case she's tortured.”

“Its something she created on her own,” Yuzuki whispered. “I don't know anyone else in the clan who's smart enough to come up with something as complex as that.”

“If there was anything Sheila ever took extreme pride in it was her smarts.” Seiji agreed. “I wonder if she'll finally introduce us to her husband and daughter now?”

“Ne, Grandpa, GranGran...I haven't told you the best part.”

“What's that Yuzu-chan?” Emiko asked her.

“Nee-san moved to Sunnydale first...then Sheila. They never have any contact with each other.”

“No, they wouldn't.” Seiji nodded. “Otherwise keeping secrets would be useless.”

“But their children are best friends; they found one another on their own and have been best friends since they were five.”

“Oh.”

“Joyce-nee only moved to Sunnydale a few months ago...on the first day her daughter went to school she befriended Nee-san and Sheila’s kids. They're totally besties now.”

Emiko sat on the couch and pulled Seiji with her. “They...came together.”

He was just as shocked. “Without knowing they were blood.”

“They know now...and I get the feeling Nee-san was holding a few things back. However I'm really glad she called me.”

“Have you told your parents?”

“Not yet...I was kinda hoping one of you could call Mom?” Yuzuki's voice was hopeful. “If she's gonna freak out over the phone I don't want to be on the other end.”

“That's where your bravery runs out is it?” Seiji asked with a laugh.

“Yep.”

Emiko laughed as well. “We'll call your mother.”

“Thanks GranGran. I have to go back to work now, ja ne!” She hung up in a rush, probably to avoid being scolded by her boss.

Emiko reached to switch the phone off, their other hands still clasped. The phone beeped, and she settled back beside him, her head on his shoulder. “What do you think?”

“I think things are going to keep changing.”

XXX