Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ old friends, new chalenges ❯ the memmory ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
“School is so boring mom!” says a fifteen year old girl.

“Yes, but how do you expect to get anything out of life without a good education?” she asks. It’s my mother Shesakie Heroshima.

My name is Hoshie, well that’s my human name anyway. Years ago I was a Spirit Wolf gaining the powers of a demon over the thousand years that I lived, along side my friend and co-conspirator Yoko Kurama. Back then I was known as Rieko, revered by a lot of people in the demon world. My story is slightly different from that of Kurama. I had taken to thieving but did more then just that. I liked breaking security, not just to steal all the time, but to get the thrill of almost getting caught. That would prove my fatal mistake. Sixteen years ago I made my last.

I’d broken security at one of the Mystic Weapons museums, unknowing of the trap laid out for me. As I ran out onto the land just beyond the gate I was surrounded and destroyed. Using the last of my energy I fled to the living world. I found a nice looking human to serve as my surrogate mother until I was ten years old then vanish without a trace. In thoughts ten years though I grew attached to my new ‘family’ and two years before my departure my ‘father’ died. My mother must have felt that it was all her fault, as did I, for a year later she fell terribly sick. She’s been that way ever since. I didn’t have the heart to leave her. I guess the human world has changed me more than I had first thought.

Back to the story at hand, I went to school. Not much had changed since the day before, my locker was still number thirteen on the ground floor, my friend, Shuuichi Minamino’s was number fourteen, and there was still a large group of punks who think they own the place.

“Awww, look at the cute couple.” One says as Shuuichi walks up. We ignore them of course.

“What are you doing after school?” he asks.

I answer, “I’m going home to check on my mother. Why?”

“I was just asking.” Is all he says.

In last period the time seemed to drag on forever. Math class was the worst. I was a thief, I know all about math. Finally the bell rings. So, I start my trek across town to my house, not knowing I’d never get there.

I was going over my notes on Spirit World security. I had been planning to ‘borrow’ the Forlorn Hope, a mirror that possessed the power to grant the users most desirable wish with one side affect, the user gives their life for it to work. I had intended to use it to help my mother (and erase all memory of me).

Half way home, in one of the ally ways came a short scream. I had my own morals to deal with things that weren’t mine and against my better judgment I went to check it out. One of thoughts snotty kids from school and his guys were pushing around a kid who was obviously out numbered.

I ran up forgetting my own safety, “Hey you! Stop!” I yelled to them.

I was to late to get out of the way when I saw the gun and a blinding flash. I woke in an ambulance. I didn’t know how long I was knocked out. There was a pain in my right side. Shuuichi was there in the ambulance with me. He must have seen or heard the gunshot. He was crying. We were almost to the hospital when I felt I was slipping away. I touched Shuuichi’s hand and he took mine, he looked at me through tired eyes, his beautiful green eyes, and his red hair. Would this be the last time I saw him?

My breath was coming in gasps.

I told him, “Don’t cry, I’m ready this time.”

This time! It must have sounded so strange to him, but he didn’t show it. He just looked at me. I closed my eyes, I could still see his face in my mind. Just as the ambulance stopped I let go, I just let go. What would they do? Shuuichi had only his mother now. No other friends besides me and I left him. I left my mother and him. I gave up. Me of all people gave up. I guess some things you just can’t fix.