Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ old friends, new chalenges ❯ Chapter 2

[ A - All Readers ]
I walk down the road to my house alone much later than usual.

I think my mother must be worried sick about me, when I see the lights on. There are people at the open door. Open! My mother and I never leave the door open.

I run up to the door yelling, “What’s going on!” but no one seems to notice.

I realize these are all the people from school. They’re all crying, even thoughts snotty kids from the hall. I walk inside and to my horror I see my portrait surrounded by white roses on the casket.

“This is a joke, right?” I ask the person next to me but he just stands there like I’m not even there.

“I’m Dead!” I scream. “I’m really dead! Why me? Darn, that stupid kid! If I had just went along on my own business I’d… Shuuichi!!” I shrieked.

He was walking over to my mother. He bowed and said something to her. She couldn’t help but cry about what ever he had said. He walked over to the casket and placed a red rose on it. That was just like him. He loved red roses and always gave me one on special occasions. I hadn’t seen him cry like that since we were little children.

I’m really dead. The realization still was a shock to me.

“Well, we can’t all have a ‘happy ever after’ ending, now can we.” Said a female voice from outside.

I went to see who it was and ask about what happened, since I had no memory of it myself. She was wearing a traditional kimono and sitting on an ore about one foot off the ground, which didn’t surprise me one bit. I knew who she was.

“Hello Boton.” I said.

She says, “Surprised to be dead aren’t you. Don’t worry you’ll get used to it. What’s on your mind?”

“I don’t remember how I died,” I say, “can you refresh my memory?”

After about a hour of listening to Boton tell me exactly what happened and how the Spirit World was rather surprised that I saved that kid and about how she was really impressed with what I had done, I didn’t interrupt her that would have been rude, she told me that she has orders to take me back with her. I get on the back of the ore and we set off for the Spirit World.

We flew over the river Stix, a river that runs through the Spirit World, toward the Gate of Decision.

“Koenma is expecting us.” Says Boton as we land.

We go up to the door and Boton pressed the ‘door bell’ and the doors opened. A normal human would have thought it strange to see a bunch of ogres running around answering phones and filing papers, but of course I’m not human so it was naturally a regular sight to me.

We walked to the back of the place and into an ‘empty’ room. Well, OK not empty, there was ‘The Mighty Koenma’ as he is called here at his desk. Not that you could tell if he was sitting there or not, between you and me he’s rather on the short side. Koenma is the son of ‘The Mighty King Yama’, a guy with a very short temper. Koenma usually looks like a toddler, but on special occasions he takes the form of a teenager, I wish he would get rid of that stupid pacifier though.

“So, Rieko, how did you like the Living World?” he asks.

“Just great,” I said, sarcastically, “What do you want exactly?”

He says, “Well, I do need another person for a mission to the Demon World to help out with…um…”

I see a file on his desk with a few pictures of people I sort of know.

“No, I don’t think so.” I say before he can finish his sentence.

Boton knew right away why I didn’t want to go on this mission with look at Koenma’s desk. There, in plain sight, were four folders with pictures clipped to them. Two of them were people I knew, Hiei & Shuuichi. There was one thing off with thoughts folders though, the one with Shuuichi’s picture said Yoko Kurama/ Kurama.


Koenma, being not the brightest of the bunch, was still wondering why I had refused to go on this ‘mission’ as he called it. Boton clued him in by walking over and picking up the folders, Kurama’s first.

“If you do want your life back you’ll have to go on this mission and not kill your team mates.” He said.

“I’m not getting out of this am I?” I said quietly to Boton who was again standing next to me.

“I don’t think so.” She said.

“Fine, baby breath, I will but no promises about not killing one of them.” I told Koenma.

He seemed fine with that and said, “Good just don’t kill Yusuke. We need him to beat what you’ll be up against.”

“Fine.” I said.

Back in the Living World.

“I don’t believe I did that.” I said as Boton and I walked down the street toward the back of my house.

Fortunately my mother was at the hospital again, it would have been extremely difficult to explain how I was alive to her right now. I packed up some of my clothes and we left. On the way to the ferry that would carry my new team mates and I to Hanging Neck Island were our ‘mission’ was to commence I altered my appearance. I put on a mask to cover my nose and mouth, some of my defining features, brushed my hair and let it fall around my face instead of my traditional low ponytail. We landed a short distance from the ferry and the ore disappeared. I went behind some trees to change into a knee length tunic and a hakama.

I followed Boton to the bank were all the teams were waiting for the ferry. She lead me to Team Urameshi. My new ‘friends’ didn’t like me much, of course I didn't care about them either.

She made the introductions, "This is Yusuke." pointing to a boy with black hair and street clothes on. "That's Kuwabara," looking toward a red-orange haired boy with a blue school uniform on. "That's Hiei," I glared at the fire apparition, " and this is Kurama." she finished, waving to Shuuichi.

I had introduced my self using my mother's first name, Shesakie, if I said my last name I think 'Kurama' would have figured out it was me, he is very smart after all. We all boarded the ferry, with the exception of Boton she went back to the Spirit World.

I stayed silent during the ride to the island that would be our home for the next few months. Every once in a while the idiot Kuwabara would say something extremely stupid or ask an idiotic question and I'd give him a very cold glare every time.

The ferry dropped off the teams on the island and departed. By this time they had stopped trying to figure me out. I had shot Hiei an evil glance after I felt him snooping around in my head. He knew who I was and knew better than to get on my nerves.

We went to our hotel room and settled in to relax before our first match. An hour after our arrival at the hotel four girls came to our room. The boys seemed sort of happy with the visit and I was introduced to them. Boton was one of them of course only with different clothes on. I guessed a tall brown haired girl named Shuzuru was Kuwabara's sister because she hit him when he said something stupid. I assumed Hiei didn't tell Yukina, an ice blue haired ice apparition, that he was her brother. Then there was a small brown haired girl named Kayko whom, to my best guess, was the love of Yusuke's life, and she brought a small blue creature named Puu with her. Yusuke seemed concerned about the little creature but it seemed very happy and flapped its little ears and landed on Yusuke's head, the two must have some kind of relationship with each other.

After a while the girls left and we, the team and I, went to sleep. Kuwabara was tossing and turning like something was chasing him in his dream. I don't think Hiei knows the meaning of the word sleep. He was up all night staring out the window at... something. Kurama's room was dead silent, as was Yusuke's. Frankly I couldn't sleep very well either. It took me about three hours to get to sleep and even then it was a restless one.

The next day. Kuwabara is still asleep. Everyone else is eating breakfast.

"So, you couldn't sleep, hu?" questioned Hiei.

I didn't say any thing to him, I just sat there drinking my tea.

"Hey, will you say something already? You're creeping me out!" shouts Yusuke.

I put down my cup and look at him. He seems to get the hint.

"I'll go get Kuwabara and then we can go." he said.

He got up and went to Kuwabara's room. They came out a few minutes later and we set off for the stadium.

At the stadium we wait for the announcer to introduce the fighting teams. We are all dead silent, I'm not sure if with fear, anticipation or we're just tired.

"...and in this corner Team Urameshi!" yells the announcer as the doors to our side open.

We walkout to the sound of boos and lots of trash the people throw at us.

"I guess they missed us." joked Yusuke.

"In this corner Team Segarra!" says the announcer as the doors across the stadium open to let the other team in.

I'm sure even Yusuke with his low spirit awareness could tell the tremendous amounts of spirit energy coming off of that team.

"Their monsters! How are we supposed to bet them?" exclaimed Kuwabara.

"Maybe you can talk them to death." said Yusuke who was beginning to get annoyed with Kuwabara.

I will admit I was afraid for my life. I had never encountered any one so powerful, much less five of them.

"Will the Team Captains please come up to discuss the battle terms." said the announcer.

"Becarful." I said to Yusuke as he started walking to the ring.

That was a slight shock to everyone, since I hadn't said anything since we meet at the ferry.
That was rather quick. Yusuke came back and the rounds were under way.

The announcer said, "Will the first two fighters please enter the ring."

I could tell by their faces that no one wanted to fight the first guy, not even Hiei, which was strange for him. He was rather big and all that spirit energy. I decided, since no one else was, to go a head and fight him.

"Are you crazy!?" said Yusuke, "You're gonna get your self killed out there!"

"Do you have a better suggestion or are you going to fight him? I shot back at him. "Of course we could always give up, I'm sure Koenma won't mind that."

That must have sounded cruller than I had intended it to be. The poor kid.

Hiei stepped up, "I'll fight him." and with that he lept into the ring, and the first match was under way.

Hiei is extreme fast making hitting him nearly impossible so I wasn't worried about him. I was, however, worried about Yusuke. I must have crushed him or at least his spirit.

"Yusuke, I didn't mean that, what I said." I tried to apologize.

"No, it's OK. You had the right to be angry." he said.

"Hey! It's over already?" said Kuwabara.

I looked just as Hiei stepped out of the ring. All that was left of his opponent was a pile of dust on the floor.

"I thought that would work." I said quietly to my self.

"So, who's next?" said Hiei.

I noticed he was limping.

"Don't worry. I'm fine." he said, reading my concern.

I stepped into the ring to get the second match going.

"So, how did you end up with 'that' team?" said Suka, he is my opponent from the Segarra team.

"If you survive I might tell you." I joked.

I knew Suka from my years living in the Demon World. I guess you could sort of call us friends, though we spent most of our time fighting with each other.

"Begin!" yelled the announcer.

Suka ran straight for me. He was strong but not exactly bright. At the last second I moved to the left and tripped him. He fell and landed on his face. Mind you that's not something to do when you're fighting for your life and Suka got extremely angry that I had made that foolish act to embarrass him. He got up and threw a few darts at me but I easily dogged them, and returned his attack with a hand full of explosive thorns.

The dust cleared and Suka was no were to be seen but I knew he was still alive. I turned around just as he threw a small knife at me. It struck and artery in my right arm. He knew it would be difficult for me to attack him without my right arm. Difficult but not impossible. I took off running. He had this look in his eyes, a look I've seen before. It was his 'you can run but I'm still going to kill you' look. I gave him a look like 'sure you will' and laughed.

"What's so funny?" Yelled Yusuke.

Frankly, I didn't know why I laughed. I stopped short of the edge of the ring and jumped back just as a small object exploded. Something hit my left leg and I came down hard and landed on my side.

Suka stood over me and kicked my spine a couple of times. Right when he was about to chop my head off I rolled away. I climbed to my feet and threw a rock from the ring's crumpled floor at him. He laughed and I laughed with him. I was helpless and he knew it. He threw more darts and this time I had much difficulty avoiding them. Did they have to be so sharp?

I hit the ground again. This time I didn't even try to get up.

"Well," I said, "you've gotten a lot better."

"I learned from the best." he said.

That was the irony of it. I'm older than Suka and taught him mow to defend himself causing maximum pain with minimum damage. You're probably wondering how Suka knows it's me. Well, he is very smart though he doesn't show it. I could change my outward appearance all I want and he'd still know it was me. He can tell by the way I fight and talk.

He walked over me and bent down to wisper something to me.

"They don't know, do they?" he said.

"No, and I intend to keep it that way." I replied.

"We'll see." he said as he pulled back my hair .

He tied it the way I traditionally do and tore the mask off my face. He got up and drove his heal into my back. I didn't yell out, which angered Suka even more. That was the reason he fought, to hear his victim scream and beg for mercy. I would not. He walked over me and kicked my stomach. He saw that I didn't move and kicked again, but much harder.

He stopped trying to make me scream when he saw that I felt like I was going to throw up. I wasn't afraid of him, I was, however, very sick from him kicking me. I was tired of getting bet by my own student. It took a while but I managed to get to my feet, which didn't last very long.

"You should have stayed down." Suka said.

He grabbed me by the throat.

"Don't worry I'll make this quick and painless." Suka laughed.

He produced a small knife from his pocket.

"Bad idea." I said calmly to him.

"Oh, really. Let's see..." he said, "...what! I can't move!"

I slipped out of his grasp and knocked his knife to the ground.

"What did you do to me?" he shouted.

" I didn't do any thing, this is your own fault. I just helped it along." I said cruelly to him.

Remember the rock I threw at him earlier. It wasn't just a rock. I had embedded a seed of a plant that used it's victim’s Spirit Energy to grow and destroy them. It produces a beautiful flower when it is in bloom, and even that flower is deadly.

“I wish this could have ended differently.” I said, and with that his body exploded revealing a full grown plant with its flowers.

I walked out of the ring as best I could. Once off the ring floor and on the soft ground near my ‘friends’ I lost control of my body and fell.

“Hey, is she OK?” asked Kuwabara.

“She should be fine. Just let her rest.” said Kurama thoughtfully.

“Will the next two fighters please enter the ring now.” Says the announcer.

Kuwabara reluctantly jumps into the ring. He mumbles something to himself and the match starts. Kurama picks me up and takes me to the outer edge of the arena. I look up at him.

“I’m OK. You don’t have to move me.” I said.

“You need to rest. You should feel better after you do.” he said as he set me down facing the ring.

You can’t argue with Kurama, it’s just some thing about him. He was right anyway. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

“Hey! No cheating!” Yells a scared Kuwabara. “You’re supposed to wait till she says start!”

“Oopsss! Sssorry about that. Isss thisss better?” Hisses his opponent, as he surges forward.

Kuwabara jumps back just in time to avoid his claws but only to get slapped by the tail. I didn’t think such a young human body could take so much damage and still fight back. Kuwabara recovers from the blow and returns with a well aimed jab to the gut with his Spirit Sword.

“Ya! Good one Kuwabara. Now if we could get Hiei to fry him we could have an early dinner.” joked Yusuke.

“We’ll see who gets dinner tonight, human!” growled his opposser.

He lept into the air and landed behind Kuwabara. Just as Kuwabara turned to slice his head off he used his tail to catch and twist Kuwabara’s arm, making him drop his sword.

“How’s this human?” he shrieked as he threw Kuwabara up in the air like a little stuffed doll.

He blew a column of flame up at Kuwabara’s right arm as he fell. Kuwabara came down hard and landed on his now badly burned right arm. Kuwabara screamed in agony as his opponent picked him up and beat him back into the ground.

“I don’t think he’s going to make it.” said Kurama.

“Hey, Kuwabara! Just tell him you give up OK! We’ve got three wins anyway!” yelled Yusuke.

Laughing , Kuwabara’s opponent said, “Yes, why don’t you listen to your weak friend and give up. So what if you’re the only one on the team not to win. It’s obvious he believes you can’t anyway.”

“Shut up!” screamed Kuwabara.

“Kuwabara! Don’t be stupid! Let Kurama and me handle it!” pleaded Yusuke.

“No way, Urameshi! I’m not gonna quit and I don’t need your help!” argued Kuwabara.

“Why does he have to be so darn stubborn?” Yusuke asked himself.

“This is pointless. He’s going to get himself killed just so he can prove himself.” said Hiei.

Kuwabara was on his feet again and charging his opponent with his newly drawn Spirit Sword. He was determined to win this fight.

“Eat this you freak!” he yells as he slices his opponent in half.

“Hu? What just happened?” said Yusuke who was rather shocked.

“It seems Kuwabara has won, Yusuke.” said Kurama with a small laugh.

“It doesn’t look like the two of you will have to fight after all.” said Hiei.

Kuwabara walks off the ring with a big smile on his face.

He points at the demon in the ring and says, “Ha! See that Urameshi? I told you I didn’t need your help!”

“Come on. Let’s go. Now that that’s over.” says Yusuke.

The boys started walking out of the arena. Kurama stopped to pick me up, I was fast asleep after all.

“Were are you going?” asked the opposing team captain.

Yusuke didn’t listen, he and the rest of the guys just kept walking.

Hiei pointed out, “We have three wins anyway so, there is really no point in us fighting the rest of you.” and with that the doors shut behind us and we left the stadium.

Back at our hotel room Kurama and Boton were healing Kuwabara’s and my wounds. Hiei was staring out the window again and Yusuke... well... Yusuke was fast asleep in front of the TV.

“Hey, where’s Yukina?” Kuwabara asked Boton.

“I don’t know. I think she’s out with Kayko and Shuzuru.” she replied.

“Ouch!” I said quietly, more to my self.

“Rieko, are you all right?” asked Kurama alarmingly.

“Yes, I’m fine. Just a bone resetting its self.” I told him calmly.

I stared up at the ceiling. Every so often Kuwabara would ask about Yukina and the pain from my wounds would make me wince. After a while Kurama stopped asking if I was OK. I could tell he was worried but I really couldn’t understand why. What was so special about me? All I could do was smile up at him, Kurama. Why do you have to be so damn sweet? Stupid Kitsune!

“Rieko, are you OK?” Kurama asked.

“hu?” I was still recovering from my thought.

He said, “You’re crying. Rieko? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing Kurama. I was just thinking...oh, never mind. I’m sorry.” I tried to reassure him.

--Later--

“That’s it shrimp! I’m gonna beat you so ugly your mother won’t recognize you!” screamed Kuwabara.

“Is that a threat or a promise?” said Hiei.

“Uh... a promise you little jerk!” yelled Kuwabara.

Hiei countered, “Idiot, I was being sarcastic.”

“Hey, will you two save it for the bad guys?” said Yusuke.

By this time we were all in the living room. Yusuke was watching the TV, surprise there. You can guess where and what Kuwabara and Hiei were. As for Kurama and I, we were on the couch across from the TV.

“Why don’t you two come play cards with us?” asked Kurama.

“Why would I want to do that?” said Hiei.

“You’re just afraid you’ll loose, right shrimp.” sounded Kuwabara, who seemed quite ammussed with what he had said.

“I don’t think so, you moron.” Hiei replied.

“Just leave thoughs two alone,” I said, “they’ll stop eventualy.”

“I hope so. If they don’t I’ll kill them.” said Yusuke.

There was a knock at the door.

“Now who could that be at this hour?” I said.