Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Old times, New times ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own or claim to own Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm making no money off of this. Please do not sue.

Contains Shoujo Ai / Femme slash / Female + Female Romance / Lesbians. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Pairing - Botan/Hinageishi (You know, the cute red haired girl in the movie ^^)

Takes place shortly after the movie.

Old times, new times

Chapter One

Hinageishi held Botan against her chest, wrapping her arms around her as a mother might protect a newborn child. Flying through the air on her oar, she hurried to Genkai's temple. She kissed Botan's fevered forehead gently and looked down at her with love.

"Oh, Botan. I'm so sorry. After all you've done for me, I couldn't repay you. But where was I when you where in trouble?" Hinageishi held Botan tighter to herself as she sobbed.

Hinageishi and Botan had trained in the spirit world together. Botan, in training to be the messenger of death, had been successful in her studies. Hinageishi however was a different story. Few people would send Hinageishi on errands, for she always messed up even the simplest tasks. Hinageishi had almost given up in despair, but Botan ensured her that she could succeed. Hinageishi had believed her. After all, if Botan had faith in her it must be true.

By working together they had both received there separate titles of Death and Guide for the Spirit World. Their jobs kept them away from each other. But both of them had their memories of each others friendship. Now Hinageishi hoped to repay Botan for her kindness.

Seeing Genkai's temple in the distance, Hinageishi headed downwards. Even with the wind tossing her around, She made sure she landed carefully.

Genkai looked out the shrine's sliding doors in surprise.

"Hinageishi? Were Yusuke and the others able to destroy the Netherworld?"

"Yes, but there's no time to explain. Botan still needs help." Hinageishi lifted herself and Botan off the oar and walked into the temple. She laid Botan down on the nearest futon. Turning around, she explained the situation.

"The others are making their way back here by themselves. Since Botan was still hurt, I offered to bring her here." Actually she had begged to be the one to bring Botan. Yusuke had been reluctant at first, but she'd been able to persuade him. What Genkai didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

Arms folded across her chest, Genkai walked around Botan. She walked over to a cabinet and pulled out several rolls of bandages, gesturing for Hinageishi to pick up the rest of the contents.

"She'll live, but that sphere weakened her. We need to bandage her wounds and try to get some water in her."

"Yay! Botan'll be OK!" Hinageishi beamed.

"There's one more thing. Yukina's still resting from the last attack. I'll need you to help me in her place."

"M-me?!" Hinageishi sweat dropped.

"Yes. I myself am still weak. You do want Botan to live, don't you?" Genkai smirked.

"I. sure I do." Hinageishi took a deep breath. Closing her eyes, she gave a solemn nod. 'If this is how I can repay Botan... I have to try. Oh Botan, You can't leave me yet.'

Hinageishi was now Genkai's legs and arms. At the slightest mention from Genkai, she fetched tools and medicine. Held flashlights where Genkai needed them. Whenever the water and bandages were used up, she raced around the temple searching for more. It was exhausting work.

After an hour, Genkai had done all she could do. Hinageishi breathed a sigh of relief.

"Now we just wait and see. Get some rest, Hinageishi." With a sigh Genkai walked off to her own room. Looking down at Botan, Hinageishi began to panic.

'What if she needs something in the night? What if she gets worse? She. she'd be helpless.' Hinageishi sat down next to Botan. 'In that case, it's my job to see that she'll be safe.' Hinageishi stroked Botans hair.

Keeping a diligent watch, Hinageishi thought back to the old days. How Botan had always guided and protected her. All the fun times they had, goofing off and pulling pranks. On the outside they both seemed respectable in every way(1). But on the inside Hinageishi and Botan had mischievous streaks.

Hinageishi wondered when she first started admiring Botan. Was it when she convinced the others that Hinageishi could learn how to be spirit guide? Was it when Botan lured her into a friendship? But one thing she did understand was that she wasn't sure if she was happy just being Botan's friend.

She wanted to be more than that. Back in the old days, she couldn't protect Botan like Botan protected her. But whenever Botan was down, Hinageishi tried her hardest to cheer her up. When Botan smiled, Hinageishi would feel her heart soar.

When they had parted ways she still thought of Botan often. Was she smiling now? Did she enjoy her job? When would she see her again? However, Hinageishi never expected their reunion to be like this.

Laying her head on the side of Botan's pillow Hinageishi thought about Botan more. She knew she loved Botan with all her heart. While she'd never disliked males, she didn't want to be with anyone but Botan. But would Botan feel the same?

She didn't know what she'd do if Botan rejected her. But these feelings had to come out. Or she'd go insane.

Rolling closer to Botan for warmth, she decided to tell her when Botan woke up. If she was rejected, then well. She'd leave Botan alone. If Botan would be happier with another, Hinageishi would have to accept that. No matter how much it hurt.

A tear rolled down Hinageishi's cheek as she unwillingly drifted off to sleep.

A/N - Yes, I'm leaving you there. Because I'm evil.

(1) *snort* Yeaaah. Right.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome. Sorry if anything was confusing.