Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Ones They Take For Granted ❯ Whose Hearts Shall Break ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Ones They Take For Granted
By Pareathe

A/N: Yes, I know the last chapter was probably my worst cliffhanger to date... but I love trying to out-do myself. *grins*

Also, this chapter is dedicated to my beta-reader, who also happens to be someone very special to me - BluEydMnstr. See, the fact is that, in writing this chapter, I've been going through hell and she's been amazing with listening to me rant and rave about everything while I've been totally neglecting her and her own stories. So anyway, this chapter isn't beta-ed (and I won't be surprised if you can tell a big difference), but instead this one is for her since she's been a fabulous friend, a willing ear, and a real inspiration - especially during the creation of this chapter when real life just wouldn't leave me alone...

*blows kisses* You know I love ya, girl! Thank you, thank you, and thank you a million times more! I never could have gotten my head straight enough to finish this without you.

Chapter Six: Whose Hearts Shall Break

~Oh no, I see I spun a web,
It's tangled up with me, and I lost my head,
The thought of all the stupid things I said~

I think my heart stopped beating...

Watching my son as he enters the room so slowly... he's stiff as a board, the only real indications that he's not in some type of weird trance are his hands that are balled into fists so tight his knuckles are white and the eye that's twitching every few seconds. Aside from that, his expression is a complete blank. Still, the fact that his ki is slowly but steadily building coupled with the knowledge that he knows exactly where we are and hasn't bothered to say anything - his eyes haven't shifted from directly in front of him at all yet - proves that his mind is anything but clear. Of course, even if I was the naive baka most people think I am, I'd have figured it out the minute he picked up the thick scent of sex while he was still in the other room.

I've always shared a unique bond with my oldest - whether it's a Saiyajin thing or something that developed through circumstance, I'm not sure... maybe a little of both - and there have been many occasions when, without any prompting, I could sense Gohan's thoughts and feelings. It usually happens during a crisis when his emotions run their highest, and when he himself can't control them. It's like a swimming pool and there are so many people thrashing around that water splashes out - I tend to get the overflow. As soon as his nose picked up our scent, my brain felt like it was going to explode from the force of what's coming from him. Disbelief, denial, shock, betrayal, pain and rage woven tightly together...

And I'm only getting little hints of what is actually going on in his head.

He stops halfway between the door and the bed against the wall where the remnants of our clothes begin littering the floor and bends down, picking up the cleanly-ripped piece of white cotton that was Videl's shirt and stands back up, clutching the ruined garment tightly in his fingers. His eyes begin moving slowly over the rest of the haphazard piles of useless cloth thrown here and there, taking a step every so often until he stops just next to the bed where my shirts are tangled together.

~Oh no, what's this? A spider web,
And I'm caught in the middle, I turned to run,
The thought of all the stupid things I've done~

My stomach knots painfully out of sadness, regret, and nervousness as Gohan toes the blue and orange material roughly; his entire body shudders for only a moment, and he lets out a soft, strangled sound.

I have to say something.

No matter how much I wish this wasn't happening, it is, and the longer I remain silent, the longer he's going to suffer without any way to let it out. Besides, I know I deserve whatever he may do and then some. With a final glance behind me, I see Videl watching wide-eyed from around the corner of the shower, her already pale face completely bloodless now. At least she's breathing evenly enough to make me feel sure she won't be fainting anytime soon, so I leave the doorway I've been peering through and take a step into the room.

Oh Kami, what the hell am I supposed to say to him? What can I say? There's no excuse for what he's witnessing. I mean, Videl cheating on him would be one thing - and it would devastate him, I know - but she's not just having an affair... she's having one with me.

And what's worse is that I was the instigator.

I saw someone that understood my pain and I grabbed onto it, and what choice did I give her? She was lonely, too. She needed someone to be attentive, to remind her that she was worthy of desire, but she didn't go looking for it. She handled it the best way she could, and it made her vulnerable, and now...

Oh Kami... all of this is because of me. All of it.

~I never meant to cause you trouble
And I never meant to do you wrong~

I guess my movement has snapped him out of whatever inner prison he's been trapped in since he stepped through the door and began going through the numerous items that confirmed what has to be the worst thing any man can be subjected to - betrayed by the wife he loves and by the father he trusted unwaveringly all of his life. He lifts Videl's shirt up shakily, the majority of the fabric hanging loosely so that it's in plain view for anyone who chooses to look. His eyes slide slowly over to me before his head follows suit, the muscles in his jaw work furiously as they become tight and lax in an unsteady rhythm and his entire upper body begins trembling.

"I d-don't..." - he chokes roughly, and he squeezes his eyes shut before opening them again - "wh-what d-does this... I don't..."

He closes his mouth as I take another step towards him as I force myself to hold his gaze. Everything I was expected to see in his eyes isn't there at all. Instead, his eyes are begging... pleading me to give him any excuse for what he's found except what everything around us is telling him happened. You know, I actually think he'd believe anything right now, too. He'd ignore the obvious if I gave him anything, anything at all to grab onto.

But I can't. It would be easier - for a little while, at least - but it would be another lie, and I just can't do this to him anymore. We've been under a blanket of anonymity for far too long; what we've done is unjustifiable, and just because we couldn't seem to stop ourselves never meant that it wasn't going to have to end. And it will. Right now.

Gods, I... where do I begin?

"Gohan-"

~And I, well if I ever caused you trouble
Oh no, I never meant to do you harm~

He scans my expression, and after several silent, tense moments his previously near-stoic features contort into a mask of pure agony and righteous anger as his ki makes its way off the charts. And his eyes... My only opportunity to get us out of this relatively unscathed by giving him a lame excuse is long gone now, replaced by the demeanor of judge, jury, and quite possibly my executioner, as well. But at least he isn't looking at Videl.

He knows his wife well enough to know this can't be her doing.

We both know the fault is mine.

The accusatory glare becomes almost tangible in its severity, and his body stills as he turns to face me fully; the defenseless garment in his grasp starts smoking as his power continues to build and begins to manifest itself around him as small sparks and thin bolts of golden energy. "You," he growls tightly through teeth that are clenched into a snarl that looks even more dangerous as twin tears make thin lines down either side of flaring nostrils. "My... my wife... You... you..."

My breath catches as I feel the guilt I've been pushing back all this time wash over me to combine with the new shame I bear now before my son. And still, I have no words. I have absolutely nothing to use in my defense at all.

He's going to kill me. I know that now as I see his normally gentle disposition bleed completely away and is replaced by the need for vengeance... for justice.

As Gohan's aura explodes around him and he charges me fists-first, I bow my head rather than raise my arms.

***

~Oh no, I see a spider web
And it's me in the middle, so I twist and turn,
Here I am, in love in a bubble~

The blast forces me behind the shelter of the shower wall, and I cover my head as everything seems to crumble. Yet in my mind, the last image I saw before hell literally broke loose plays over and over and burns away at the sorrow and helplessness I was drowning in moments ago while watching my husband as the realization of what he found hit him full force.

Gohan's energy was potent enough that the threads of the shirt in his hand began to burn and the hairs on my arms were standing on end, and if it was strong enough for me to feel, I know it had to be like a fucking siren blaring to Goku. But he didn't power-up before Gohan literally drove him through the wall.

He had to have known what was about to happen, and he didn't even try to block it...

And Gohan never even looked my way.

The implication sends a blood-chilling fear like I've never experienced through my veins. But with that comes the strength to get myself back on my feet and the focus to weave my way through the debris that seems to be everywhere between me and the room of the house that became nothing more than a haphazard pile of rubble just a minute ago.

Goku has lived his entire life with the fate of the planet on his shoulders and has survived, but now he's trying to take all of the blame... all of Gohan's wrath.

If I don't do something, my husband is going to murder his father - the man I love - and it will be all my fault.

I can't let that happen.

~Singing, I never meant to cause you trouble
I never meant to do you wrong~

I grit my teeth against the discomfort of small, sharp pieces of metal, plaster, and glass biting into my bare feet as I finally manage to make it to the gaping hole - if you can call the absence of over three-fourths of the room a mere hole in the wall - that leads outside. My eyes immediately follow a path of devastation marked by uprooted trees and shattered boulders, and a strange sense of grief pulls at my heart. This beautiful cove that's been our place since the beginning has been destroyed. Everything. The water is being blocked by debris, and the lush grass is torn and most is gone completely, just as many of the surrounding trees are broken and lying helpless and dead on the scarred ground.

And there's a deep groove through the middle of the clearing about twice the width of a man's body.

Oh Kami... Gohan... Goku...

An animalistic howl rips through chilled morning sky followed by a bright flash and a monstrous dust cloud, and my energizing fear becomes a pure adrenaline rush that reminds me the fastest method of getting there is by flight rather than by foot. Once I'm in the air, I can see Gohan several hundred feet in front of me surrounded by a fiery golden aura, his longer-than-normal blonde locks like daggers jutting from his head. And there's someone else coming, too...

Of course. He must have felt Gohan's sudden ki spike and come to find out why. Kami knows, being his mentor and unspoken protector since he was a child, he's never very far away. Okay, so maybe Piccolo can calm him down some, even though he's up to the first level past a normal Super Saiyajin. As I fly towards Gohan, my eyes scan the area around us frantically for the last person that should be here... but he's not. And Gohan's eyes are glued to the slowly settling dust cloud beneath him. I choke on the dread that settles in my stomach as the wind finally blows enough of the dirt away that the form below becomes visible.

Oh Kami, he's so still, and there's blood everywhere... No, Goku!

"GOKUUUUUU!!!!"

~And I, well if I ever caused you trouble
Although I never meant to do you harm~

I don't know what to do! Do I try to talk to Gohan? Will it make any difference? And if I go to Goku, will I only make things worse for him? Is Gohan so out of control that he may kill us both?

Gods, this is all my fault! If it wasn't for me, Gohan wouldn't have found us in this position, and Goku wouldn't be lying down there trying to assume all of the responsibility and all of the punishment my husband is dealing out. If only I hadn't gone to Goku last night... if I had just stayed home until I knew that Gohan wouldn't come for me... if only I hadn't been so Kami damned needy...

A strangled sob escapes my throat as my gaze moves between the man before me and the one below. I can hear Piccolo shouting at Gohan even though I can't make out the words, but I don't even know if Gohan hears him, either. His attention is riveted to the ground... to his father's limp form, and he's still sneering ferally.

That must mean that Goku's alive - thank you, Kami! - but for how much longer?

"Videl!"

I didn't even realize he had flown over here, and I gasp sharply as Piccolo grabs my arm, his eyes wide and fearful. "What the hell happened, Videl? What's wrong with Gohan?" Then he looks down and winces. "And who did that to Son?"

"G-Gohan..."

He jerks me back and forth roughly. "What about Gohan? What's going on here?" Another firm shake. "Damn it, answer me!"

~They spun a web for me~

Before my brain can begin processing some kind of explanation, a new voice replies, and I spin around to face the scowling visage of the last person in the world I ever imagined seeing right now.

His eyes remain on me, even as he cocks his head towards Piccolo. "Let the onna go. This is none of your affair."

"Like hell it's not," the taller warrior growls dangerously, though, thankfully, he does loosen his grip on me as he floats to face Vegeta fully. "But it makes me wonder what you're doing here. I'm surprised a squabble that's got nothing to do with you would drag you away from your precious gravity room."

"Hn. Anything between Saiyajins is my business, Namek," Vegeta replies evenly, though his onyx orbs are still firmly planted on me.

For some reason, I've got a feeling he's trying to tell me something...

"Then perhaps you know what's going on," Piccolo shoots back impatiently, but after a moment of silence, snarls and turns around. "Fine, if you won't answer me, then I'll find out from Gohan, one way or another."

Vegeta finally stops staring me down and regards Piccolo with an expression I don't think I've ever seen on his face before. Most - though not all - of the arrogance is gone, replaced by grim seriousness.

"I would not advise it," he states somberly. "It is not wise to interrupt two Saiyajins when they are competing for the right to a mate."

Nani?!?!

~They spun a web for me~

It's obvious that Piccolo is just as confused as I am. "What are you talking about, Vegeta? Are you suggesting that Gohan is the one that attacked Son?" When Vegeta didn't respond, the green fighter's brow furrows deeply. I can almost see the gears in his head working - Piccolo is definitely one of the smartest of the entire group - and I can tell that he's trying to gauge the plausibility of Vegeta's words. Just as I knew he would, he growls once and frowns as he puts the pieces together. "Why would Gohan attack his own father?"

Vegeta huffs sarcastically. "Feh, it seems that you are both weak and deaf. I have already told you why."

"You said some nonsense about two Saiyajins fighting for a mate," Piccolo hisses angrily. "What does that mean?"

Once again Vegeta stays quiet, though he turns his stern eyes to me briefly.

Piccolo looks between the two of us for a moment before his own eyes widen in disbelief. "You mean...?" He gapes for another second, his cheeks coloring slightly. "Are you telling me Gohan thinks that Son and Videl are... were..." Apparently the very idea stops his sentence there, because nothing else comes out but deep, rasping breaths.

A very self-satisfied smirk makes its way onto the alien prince's lips as he finishes the thought for his flustered comrade. "Fucking behind his back?" The amused look grows as Piccolo's entire face goes varying shades of purple. Then Vegeta sniffs at the air, and the penetrating stare directed at me narrows, making me hold my breath nervously. "No, I am confident Kakarotto's boy is sure of it, Namek."

As soon as he says those words, I feel the blood drain from my face as it all sinks in. Vegeta smells Goku all over me, but that's not what really gets me - I mean, Vegeta's a Saiyajin, too, of course he'll be able to tell. It's the fact the he isn't surprised at all, because that means he already knew.

Piccolo scowls before floating closer still and taking in a deep breath. His ebony eyes become wide as saucers as his nose confirms Vegeta's theory, and his mouth drops open in unabashed shock.

~They spun a web for me~

Before Piccolo can recover, all of our attentions are brought back to Gohan as he screams once again, power emanating in waves against the three of us, and I have to cover my face with my arms against the painful force he's giving off. Through a barely cracked eye, I see the possessed look on his face as he glares at his father. "Damn you, get up and fight me!"

"Is he crazy? Look at him!" I cry miserably as I force my eyes back down.

"The baka's been in worse shape and fought," Vegeta states over the roaring wind.

"So why isn't he defending himself?" Piccolo questions angrily. "He could easily block Gohan's attacks until the kid wore himself out."

Vegeta snorted in annoyance. "Because the fool is entirely too soft. Unless he feels the woman is in danger, he will not raise a hand to his son."

Oh Kami, Vegeta's right. Goku feels to guilty - he won't touch Gohan unless he thinks he's so out of control that he'll hurt other people, but Gohan's focused solely on him... How the hell can I make him get up and- my eyes widen as I realize what I have to do. Just the thought sends my stomach into my feet, but I bite the consideration of physical pain back and allow the fear of Goku dying to fuel me instead. With a deep breath - for all I know, it may be my last one - I uncover myself and crouch so that I'm more aerodynamic and Gohan's energy waves don't hold me back as much.

"What the hell are you doing?" Piccolo demands as he reaches for me.

I back away and look to Vegeta instead. It's strange, but I have a feeling he knows exactly what I'm about to do, and there's a look in his eyes that, if I didn't know better, I'd think was approval. I give him a quick nod of acknowledgement before offering Piccolo a grim glance. "The only way to get Goku to fight is if someone helpless is in danger, right? So... I'm gonna go piss my husband off enough to attack me."

And with that, I say a quick prayer to anyone that'll still listen and fly as fast as I can toward Gohan.

*~*~*~*

~Life - as thin as a thread
Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're better off dead~

Three, maybe four cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder, broken nose, busted lip, several loose teeth, one eye swollen up pretty good, jaw sore as hell, back feels like it was run over with a cheese grater and throat's probably bruised to hell and back - he had a good hold on it for a while there...

Kuso, he's been way too lax with his training lately. At this rate, Vegeta's gonna be defending Chikyuu all by himself - no one else is gonna be tough enough to do it and not get themselves killed.

I realize where my thoughts have gone and I let out a harsh chuckle, though it quickly becomes a tortured moan as my chest painfully protests my attempt at humor. Still, it's funny in a sadistic, I'm-gonna-die-so-what-the-hell sort of way. Besides, Chi always accuses me of being a musclehead who's more interested in a person's strength and skill during a fight than - as she very sarcastically puts it - stupid, insignificant things like keeping myself alive.

I guess she was right after all.

Oh well, I don't care what Chichi thinks. I mean, it's not like this planet's gonna be safe forever, and assuming as much would be a big mistake. Plus, this is my home, and there are too many people here that I care about not to worry about who's gonna watch after it when I'm gone. Sure, I know the gang will do what they can if an enemy threatens Chikyuu, but since no one besides Vegeta and Piccolo bothers keeping themselves up anymore, what'll happen to the ones that can't defend themselves when there's no one left to protect them?

No. I'm not going to let this little stream of doubts flying through my head change my mind. I will not fight my own son. Besides, everyone'll be fine without me - hell, they made it almost eight years last time with no problems - and Vegeta will make sure everyone stays prepared this go around.

I sigh resignedly when I hear Gohan challenge me as he powers up another attack. Gods, I wish he'd get on with it already. I've never been very good at sitting around waiting to die.

~Your first breath is taken and into the world you are cast
You long for tomorrow while living each day as your last~

I keep my eyes closed and remain as unfocused as I can while I wait for the next assault to begin.

I wonder if being unfaithful to my wife with my son's will keep me from being allowed to keep my body when I die again? I haven't really thought about that, but that's not surprising since I've tried not to think about this happening until now. Still, I hope I've got enough points in my favor so that King Enma will let it slide this time. I mean, it's not like I've changed any... not really. A little older and wiser, sure, but I'd still give my life for the sake of this planet and anyone on it if the need arose. And I still love everybody just like I used to.

I'm just aware now that there are different kinds of love, and that sometimes people in love do really, really stupid things.

I know it's no excuse, and all of the sneaking around stops today. I can be in love with Videl all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that we're both already married and have a responsibility to our families. Sure, Chichi's not the easiest woman in the world to live with and doesn't understand a thing about me, but she's never done anything that deserves this. What is it she always says when she watches those silly talk shows? Oh yeah: If someone's that damned miserable, they should just get it over with and break it off entirely. Hm... I wonder if she'll still feel that way when she finds out about all this.

Oh Kami, when I think about it that way, I don't care whether I keep my body or not, just as long as I'm dead - the idea of facing Chichi when she hears I've been having an affair is much more terrifying than anything I've encountered in the afterlife.

At least I know Gohan will forgive Videl for what's happened. The fact that he immediately came after me without even glancing at her tells me as much. There's a real good chance for them now, I think. I hate how much this is hurting my son, but I'm pretty sure the next time Videl tries to tell him how she's feeling, he'll actually listen rather than brushing it off as nothing like his mother does. It's definitely not the way I would've wanted him to learn this lesson of how valuable his wife really is and how he should have been treating her all this time, but it's done now and I know he'll be the kind of man she needs from now on.

Either way, my purpose has been served. Now all I have to do is either die today, or, if Gohan doesn't finish me off, learn to live without her.

That settles it - I'm definitely better off dead.

~Well I know what your heart desires
But you can't take it with you into the fire~

I hear the sound of someone flying toward me and sigh as he lands next to my head. Figures he'd come.

"You are a fool, Kakarotto."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I groan. "I think that was made pretty clear the first time I slept with my son's wife, Vegeta."

I don't have to open my eyes to see the condescending look he's giving me as he snorts derisively. "Hn, and now you have become a coward as well. A real Saiyajin would accept a fellow warrior's demand to do battle when both of their honors are at stake."

"Maybe on Vegeta-sei, but here on Chikyuu things don't work that way," I reply tiredly. "Now get the hell outta here before Gohan throws another blast."

The soft shift of cloth against cloth. "You disgrace the boy by closing your eyes," Vegeta states simply, "unless you feel he is wrong in his actions."

"You know damn good and well how I feel about this." Still, Vegeta doesn't move. Kami, he's not gonna give up, is he? "If I open my eyes, will you give me a break with all the Saiyajin-way garbage and leave?" I question sarcastically.

"Hn."

"Fine." I crack my good eye open and give Vegeta a stern look before turning my senses back outward to focus on the form in the air. Ah, so Piccolo's here too, huh? Wait a sec... There's someone else standing in front of Gohan -

"No!" I've become so familiar with her ki over the past few months that it's like a beacon now that I'm paying attention, and both eyes go wide as I force my abused body to hold my weight. I growl against the pain as I get my footing and stare up at the sky. "Vegeta, what the hell is she doing?"

He moves to stand beside me and huffs as he turns his attention to the sky as well. "What does it look like, baka? The onna is a warrior, Kakarotto, and since you refuse to face the boy, she has chosen to fight in your place."

"But Gohan wouldn't attack her! He won't fight someone that's weaker than him," I declare half-heartedly as my eyes remain on the events unfolding above us. "Especially not his own wife!"

"For the woman's sake, let us hope you are right."

I realize as my hands ball tightly into fists and my teeth grind against each other that I sincerely hope I'm right, too, but it's a hell of a lot more for his sake than for hers.

***

~Now you've done all you can
Your life's at the crossroads; you watch as it slips through your hands~

The feeling of Gohan's energy surrounding him and the gusts of wind it creates is making my eyes water, and I have to keep blinking against it the closer I get to him. And it's so damned hot! No, I won't give up... I can't! I keep reminding myself of why I'm instigating this insane face-off once again as I finally get in front of my husband.

As soon as I stop, his fiery teal eyes widen slightly and the arm he has outstretched holding a ball of ki dissipates. I let out a long breath - maybe I can talk him out of this, after all! Hell, that would definitely be my first choice... "Gohan?"

For a moment, he almost looks dazed, but then his eyebrows move down once again and his eyes clear as the focus on me. "Move aside," he commands through gnashed teeth.

"Gohan, please don't do this," I plead as I inch closer. "Please, Gohan..."

"Videl," he growls softly, "get out of the way."

Shit! "Gohan, you have to stop!"

"Like hell I do." His face twists in a mixture of pain and anger. "I'm going to kill the bastard for touching you."

"No!" I scream as I throw my arms wide. "You can't do this, Gohan! He's not even trying to fight back, for Kami's sake! Please -"

His threatening glare becomes deadly in its intensity. "I can't forgive him for this," he answers coldly. "If he won't fight me, then he'll just die that much quicker."

My heart sinks as I feel the chances of a peaceful resolution going straight to hell. Still, I have to try, just one more time. And there's a small nagging in the back of my mind, too - the fact that Gohan still hasn't directed any anger at me. Surely he doesn't hold Goku completely responsible, does he?

"Gohan, please... he's your father," I beg softly. "It's not his fault -"

My enraged husband shakes his head once and snarls. "Don't try to protect him, Videl. He doesn't deserve it after what he" - he falters slightly as the muscles in his throat and jaw spasm visibly - "did to you. He's going to pay for hurting you. I promise you that."

My arms and jaw both drop simultaneously. What in Kami's name is he talking about?!?!

I take in a shuddering breath. "Gohan, I don't understand what you mean!"

"I know what you did, damn you!" he rages towards the ground before looking back to me. "I know what happened - I sensed the fear as soon as I walked in, and I saw the way you were cowering behind him when he had you blocked in the bathroom. And the bed... your clothes... the way everything was torn to shreds..."


~So you stand on the mountain and shout in vain at the sky
But nobody hears you - the words only echo inside~

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out as my mind races over what he just said. He refuses to acknowledge my part in this, and now he's talking about feeling my anxiety, the fact that I was hiding behind Goku and our ripped clothing?

Oh no... He can't really think...

But it makes sense as I play everything that's led up to this over again in my head. His meticulous eye going over the room when he walked in, the desperate disbelief all over his face as he confronted Goku, his sudden outburst of rage when, I'm guessing, he sense a deep guilt from his father, and now this unwillingness to listen to reason...

Oh Kami, he's not just holding his dad responsible or suffering from some sort of instinctive denial that refuses to see that I'm equally at fault.

"Gohan," I begin tentatively as my lip trembles uncontrollably and my stomach knots up, "are you saying that... you think Goku forced himself on me?"

Immediately, Gohan squeezes his eyes shut tightly and he bows his head, his breathing labored by the tremors that begin wracking his body. "I know what you're trying to do," he states raggedly, "but I can't let him go. Not for this. I should have been there to protect you, but... I never thought he... was capable of..."

"No, Gohan! You... you're wrong!" I cry in blatant horror as the reality of his mindset is confirmed. "Please, just listen to me!"

He snarls viciously as his head snaps back up. "I'm sorry, Videl. I understand why you're trying to stop this, but I guarantee you that I will have no regrets!"

"You don't -"

Before I can finish, his attention moves to the ground once again, but this time his eyes go wide with fury as his arm stretches out and a large sphere of white-hot energy appears in his palm. He battle cry rings through the sky as the ball grows larger and larger, and I'm forced to shield my eyes from both the wind and the light.

Oh gods... how do I stop him when he won't even listen to me?

I force myself to watch as Gohan's entire body tenses and a look of pure rage contorts his normally gentle features.

"Now die!"

"Noooo!"

I don't think. I just move as fast as I can as the energy ball is released and begins its decent towards its target.

Suddenly everything seems to move in slow motion. The deadly attack inching lower and lower as I use the adrenaline coursing through my veins to push myself past my limits and get alongside before finally managing to pass it. More nanoseconds that feel like an eternity as I look over and see that I've gotten far enough ahead, and still more when I change directions and close the short distance between our flight paths. Covering my face with my arms so that I can't see it when it hits me, even though I can still feel tendrils of electricity that lick at my skin and the brightness of the light that's making my see spots behind my eyelids...


~Oh shelter the flame - it may expire
Risin' up from the ashes into the fire~

Someone screams.

Not like Gohan's either. This desperate cry doesn't just cause the wind to blow wildly or the sky to rumble with thunder.

This one literally shakes everything.

The painful glare that's burning my eyes disappears as an arm grabs me, holding me firmly against a solid wall of flesh that makes my skin tingle with the contact. Then I feel the impact against my human shelter that sends us both plummeting towards the unforgiving earth below, and I press myself tighter against the person holding me as my heartbeat thunders in my head.

Images speed through my mind as we continue to freefall - a brief picture of my mother before she died, my father winning his first tournament, my first victory in competition, the first appearance of The Great Saiyaman, learning to fly alongside Gohan's little brother, the Budakai that turned into a disaster, meeting Goku and the rest of the gang the first time, my first time at the Lookout, waking up to find everything back to normal, my first date with Gohan, my wedding, the day Pan was born, my daughter growing up and all of her firsts, crying at night as Gohan and I grew further and further apart, the first night Goku stayed, the last night Goku stayed and the first time we were together, going after Goku at the Capsule Corps. party, the day we both realized that we couldn't stop seeing each other, sparring by the lake, picnicking in the valley, talking about everything and nothing while watching the clouds...

And suddenly we spin so that I'm lying on top and the iron-like grip around me tightens almost painfully, though that small discomfort is nothing compared to when we land.

And we do. Hard.

I cover my face as best I can while my savior makes sure to shield me from the flying dirt and rocks as best he can, though I still feel the sting of several strays raining down on me. One particularly large one hits me just at the hairline near my temple and makes my ear ring for a moment.

Finally, things seem to settle and I feel myself being lifted gently to my feet. My head is pounding and I feel a warm, sticky wetness run down the side of my face, but all things considered, I know I'm damned lucky to be alive. I finally open my eyes, and they immediately go wide as I see the crater we made. Then, as my gaze moves slowly upward, I see gold. Not just energy.

It's hair. Lots of long, thick locks of blazing blonde hair.

And then I meet turquoise eyes shadowed with worry as an impossibly tender caress runs down my cheek. And when he smiles, it's like the heavens themselves have just opened up and given me the one thing I wanted most. "Goku..."

"Are you all right?" Goku asks, his deep, melodic voice a near whisper.

"Hai," I answer with a quick nod that makes me wince as my head pounds dully with the sudden movement.

He frowns, his ocean-green eyes narrowing as he pulls his hand from my face and stares at the blood on his fingertips. "You shouldn't have tried to get in front of that," he states angrily, though the soft tremor that taints the severe tone reveals the real motivation of his words. "You could have been killed, Videl."

"What was I supposed to do?" I question sharply, drawing his gaze back to meet mine. "I couldn't let Gohan continue attacking you when you wouldn't even get off the ground! He was trying to kill you!"

Goku turns his head to the side and closes his eyes. "I know that." A significant pause. "You shouldn't have interfered."

~Just hold onto your life down to the wire
Oh, out from the dragon's jaws into the fire~

I shake my head, clenching my jaw as the aching in my head intensifies to keep from groaning in pain. "Like hell I shouldn't have! Goku, you have to stop Gohan before he makes a terrible mistake."

He stares at me for a meaningful moment before sighing softly. "I can't fight my own son. Especially not when I know how badly I've hurt him."

"No, Goku. Gohan doesn't know what's been happening! He thinks..." My voice falters as the sick feeling in my stomach comes back full force. Oh Kami, Gohan thinking it is one thing, but I can't imagine how much it'll hurt Goku to know that his son could assume something so horrible. Still, I have to warn him. "Gohan thinks that... that you..." Damn it, Videl, just spit it out and get it over with! "He thinks you raped me," I finally manage to choke out, and my nausea intensifies ten-fold as Goku's mouth falls open and his eyes blink several times in blatant disbelief. "That's why he's so out of control," I continue raggedly. "He assumed, because of our ripped clothes and all the fear and guilt he sensed, that -"

"That I forced you," he finishes hollowly, his entire face going completely blank. I nod imperceptibly so I don't aggravate my already wicked headache. "I see." He takes a deep breath and drops his chin onto his chest. After a significant pause, he looks back up and focuses intently on me. "Maybe it's best this way."

Oh hell no, it's not! "You can't be serious?" I question, my shock plainly evident.

His pronounced brow dips slightly. "Whether he knows the truth or not, it doesn't change the fact that I've betrayed him in a manner that's unforgivable. Does the method really matter?" he questions gently. "And it would make it a lot easier for you if he thinks you didn't have anything to do with it."

I can't believe him! Every muscle in my body stiffens as I glare at Goku, and his face betrays his confusion at my change in demeanor. "How can you think it would be easier for me? He'll kill you for sure!"

He reaches forward, cupping my cheek. "Videl -"

"Get your hands off of her!" Gohan screams as he descends at breakneck speed, his features twisted in rage.

Goku turns and gets in front of me, one arm lifted slightly to extend the barrier as the other shoulder moves experimentally in a cautious, clockwise motion. Whatever he's checking for seems to be okay, because he nods negligibly to himself. "Get out of here," he hisses over his shoulder. "Don't worry about me!"

"Forget it," I respond as discreetly as possible, though my voice cracks as the emotions I've been holding back threaten to burst forth unchecked. "Please... Goku, please! Letting Gohan hurt you won't accomplish anything, because I'll know the truth." I feel my eyes begin the water, and I try my best to blink the tears back before they can fall. "And I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you," I add finally as I rest both of my palms and my forehead against the chorded muscle of his back. "Please..."

He tenses slightly and draws in a shallow breath. "Are you sure this is what you want?"

I turn my head so that the relieved tears that slide down my face combine with the dirt and blood on his skin as I nod slowly.

***
~There's a moment in every man's life
When he must decide what is wrong and what's right~

I never could deny her anything she asked of me.

I turn my immediate attention back to the sky and see Gohan with fifty feet of us. Kuso, if I have to face him, I want to finish this as quickly as possible without really hurting him. There's a lot more chance of that if we're on the ground, not to mention what could happen to Videl - she's already been banged up enough as it is.

"Listen, go stand behind Vegeta. You'll be safe there."

I feel her nod again. "Be careful," she breathes against my back before she steps back. I glance to the side and see that Vegeta has already moved close and moves in front of her as soon as she gets next to him.

"Kakarotto," Vegeta begins, his own gaze turned heavenward. "The boy has not used his full power yet," he warns.

"Yeah, I know," I reply with a grim smile. "But at least the fall seems to have popped my shoulder back into place. I think I'm gonna need both arms, neh?"

"Hn," he snorts, though I see the familiar smirk curve his lips.

Gohan's almost on the ground, so without another thought, I shoot myself straight up in the sky, passing him immediately. I feel the gust of wind that marks his sudden halt, and his ki spikes once again as he begins his pursuit. Without looking back, I continue to climb higher and higher until the air begins to thin - I train regularly at these higher altitudes, so I'm hoping it gives me an advantage and tires him out faster - and the quickly diminishing cloud cover surrounds me.

Satisfied that I've gone far enough to ensure everyone's safety below, I stop and force myself to relax as I wait the two seconds it takes for him to catch up. I can't think about the guilt or the pain or the anger or the sadness or the impending loss... I have to focus on getting my son calmed down, though Kami only knows how the hell I'm gonna do it, short of knocking him out cold and letting him sleep it off.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It's my only idea.

He stops directly in front of me and snarls, immediately moving into a fighting stance. "So you finally decided to face me," he growls.

"I'm only doing this because Videl asked me to," I reply evenly, ignoring the knots in my gut and the remorse eating at my mind. I have to stay calm.

My best weapon is his loss of control, because if he can't think, then he can't fight effectively.

"Don't you dare mention her after what you've done, you son of a -"

I swallow back the self-loathing that continues to build. Kami forgive me... "Do you really think me capable of forcing myself on a helpless woman?"

He blinks a few times, and I see just the slightest shadow of doubt cross his enraged visage. "Are you denying that you had sex with my wife?"

His blazing eyes are just daring me to lie to him.

~You could wait for your dreams to come true
But time has no mercy, time won't stand still for you~

"No, I'm not."

He hisses through tightly clenched teeth. "And her clothes? Did you do that?"

Gotta remember why I'm doing this... can't let myself bend... not yet... "Hai. Hers, but not mine," I reply honestly, though the admission makes me cringe within even though my outward expression remains relatively impassive.

His gaze becomes pinpoints that piece my heart, crushing it brutally with the disgust and hatred I see within it. "You lie! I saw your shirts. They were torn like" - his eyes close tightly for a moment - "they were ripped off of you. If you didn't do it, then who did?"

I'm doing this for Videl... I'm doing this for Videl... I'm doing this for Videl...

"Answer me!" he challenges. "If you didn't do it, who did?"

"Videl did."

I was hoping that would make him go nuts and come at me without thinking, giving me the opening I need, but it doesn't look like it's gonna work out that well. As a matter of fact, his stance relaxes entirely and he stares blankly for several seconds. Then very, very slowly, his head begins shaking back and forth. "No," he murmurs under a sharp breath. "I... I don't believe you."

Unfortunately, now that it's out there, I don't have the luxury of taking any of this back. All I can do is proceed as openly as I can and pray he either loses the will to fight period, or he snaps. "I'm sorry, son," I offer sincerely. "Neither Videl or I meant for things to come to this. We never wanted to hurt you -"

"Liar!" he screams as his eyes suddenly become wild and his power once again begins to climb. "You made her-"

"Did Videl claim that I took her against her will?" I ask, though it comes out much harsher than I had intended it to.

His mouth opens once, then snaps shut. And opens again. "She... she's scared... confused. She didn't know what she was saying!"

"I've only really gotten to know Videl recently, and even I know that she doesn't speak mindlessly. The problem is that you don't listen!" I shout back as my own annoyance begins to rise past my point of just sitting there and taking it.

Besides, whether this is the time or place, there's some stuff I've wanted to tell Gohan for a while now, and to hell with the ridiculous baka act.

"How many times has she asked for your time, and you've just pushed her aside?" I accuse heatedly. "How often has she waited up for you to come home from work only to have you walk right past her? How many nights have gone by without even looking at her before turning your back to her and going to sleep? How many times has she told you she loved you and not had it returned? Huh? How many, Gohan?"

He snaps his gaping mouth shut, his face glowing with rage. "You don't know anything about relationship with Videl! She knows how I feel about her!"

I raise an eyebrow as a past conversation flashes through my mind. "Knowing love and feeling love are two very different things," I repeat matter-of-factly.

The recognition is instantaneous, and he blanches in a combination of shock and confusion as the wise words spoken by wife fall from my lips.

I nod once. "Sounds familiar, doesn't it?"

"H-how did you -"

"Because I make it a point to pay attention when she tells me these things," I snap as the waves of emotions that have been piling up over years of being on the receiving end of an identical type of neglect and months of enduring the tales from Videl take over, and the sheer desperation of this entire face-off finally crashes down as well, effectively destroying any semblance of restraint I've been clinging to when dealing with Gohan. None of this should have happened! None of it! And it's about damned time he realized it. "Kami knows someone had to since you wouldn't, even though that's what people who truly love each other are supposed to do."

He growls loudly as he flies within inches of me and grabs me around my already bruised throat, his eyes flashing dangerously. "Damn it, I do love her!"

With so many pent-up and unveiled emotions coursing through me, I simply spit out the first thing that reaches my mouth before my brain even registers it.

"So do I!"

Oh gods... I shouldn't have said that. I mean, I really shouldn't have.

But I can't ignore the strange sense of relief that washes over me. I've kept that to myself for a while now, and it's like a weight's been lifted now that I've let myself say it out loud... even if it is to the last person on Chikyuu I should have admitted it to.

Time seems to stand still as Gohan's hand falls from my neck and his sea-green glare becomes a probing gaze that seems to be trying to look within my very being. I remain completely motionless and allow my own eyes to open themselves up to him so that he can find whatever it is he seems to be looking for within them; we stay just like that for an unknown amount of time, both of us simply floating in the sky while speaking volumes that need no words.

And then, the inevitable finally happens.

He loses it.

~Well I know what your heart desires
Crawlin' out from the wreckage into the fire~

I have a fraction of a second to power up and move back before he comes in hard and fast, a blinding series of punches forcing me from side to side faster than the eyes of anyone on the ground will be able to follow just to avoid ending up knocked into next week. With a deafening roar, he pushes himself to his limit for the first time and comes at me once again, this time combining a rapid succession of jabs with powerful kicks that I have to duck and dodge frantically while keeping my senses alert for any sign of a weak spot in his attack.

It's times like these that remind me why I've never stopped training. Thank Kami for foresight!

It becomes clear that simple avoidance isn't going to cut it, mainly because he's showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon, and I've been in this form for too long so I'm already beginning to feel the strain this level puts on my energy. With one last move back, I grit my teeth and rush forward just as Gohan's pulling his arm back from his last swing.

His eyes grow wide as soon as he realizes the fight's no longer one-sided and managed to get a forearm in front of his face just in time to deflect my fist from going straight into it, but doing that leaves his midsection totally unguarded for a tenth of a second.

And that's all I need.

With my weak arm, I send one punch into his abdomen, forcing the air from his lungs and bending him over at the waist.

"I'm sorry, Gohan."

I thread my hand together just as he moves to straighten out and land the final blow to the back of his skull, sending him flying unconscious to the ground. He never actually hits it though, because as soon as I am sure he won't be waking up from that attack, I quickly put my fingers to my forehead and faze out, coming back just beneath him so that he lands in my arms just as I have to put on the brakes to make sure I don't create two lake-size craters in one day.

Besides, even I have my limits, and though my physical limit may not have been met, my emotional one's been reached several times over today.

By the time I reach the ground, I've discarded the Super Saiyajin form altogether, though it makes every ache and pain hurt that much more. Still, I have to make sure I have enough strength left to get us all home...

"Goku!"

I look over in time to see the three who've been waiting run towards me as I lay Gohan down. "Well," I begin as they reach us and Videl and Piccolo kneel on either side of Gohan, "he's probably gonna be a little sore and his head's gonna throb like hell, but he'll be okay as far as all that goes."

She nods once before turning her eyes to me. "And you? Are you okay?"

"As good as can be expected, I guess." I take a deep breath before going on. "But... I said some things up there that I shouldn't have - not until you had the chance to talk to him, at least."

She chews on her bottom lip thoughtfully. "So he knows?"

"He doesn't know anything specific," I explain softly, reality sinking into my brain as I consider how best to explain what went on up there. "But he knows you weren't forced, and he probably knows this wasn't the first time, though I didn't actually tell him in so many words."

"Well, he was going to find out anyway," she replies softly before giving me a sad smile, "so does the method really matter?"

My depleted energy is catching up with me, and I plop myself down on the ground with as much grace as a sumo wrestler, though I can't help but grin sedately at my own words being used against me - her way of both trying to make me feel better and again voicing her displeasure with my earlier decision to let him believe that she had no part in what happened. "Point taken."

"Well, now that the two of you seem to be satisfied," Piccolo interrupts gruffly, "you can explain yourselves."

Videl's gaze immediately falls to her hands that are weaved tightly together in her lap, but she doesn't have to worry. He's not expecting anything from her. It's me he wants answers from; the blatant glare planted on me tells me as much.

Well, he's gonna be sorely disappointed, because I'm done with airing dirty laundry for the day.

Vegeta seems to sense it, and he narrows an irritated gaze at Piccolo. "As I said before, it is none of your affair. Your student is unharmed. You can leave now."

"I don't think so," Piccolo responds flatly. "Gohan will need support now, and since he won't have his father," - he shoots another scathing glance at me out of the corner of his eye - "I should be with him."

Before Vegeta can argue, I decide to put in my two cents. "Piccolo's right, Vegeta. Gohan will want him close when he wakes up anyway, so there's no need for anyone to make two trips. Besides, someone needs to take him home. I would, but if he happens to wake up now..."

Piccolo's lip curls in disgust for a moment before he takes a deep breath. "I'll take him," he offers as he picks Gohan up and throws him over his shoulder. "But... this isn't finished, Son," he adds solemnly.

~Here I go...Into the fire
I know...what your heart desires~

Yeah, I know I have to try and explain eventually. Just not right now. Right now I have something else I have to do.

I nod once before looking to Vegeta. "You mind going with him? Just in case Gohan decides to try and blow up the house or something?"

We both know it's a pointless request for any reason but one, and Vegeta acknowledges that face with a curt nod.

Piccolo gapes for a moment. "What the hell are you going to be doing?"

"I need to talk to Videl for a minute."

"You can't be serious?" Piccolo rages hotly. "Haven't you done enough? Damn it, Son -"

"We won't be long," I respond, leaving no doubt that I have no intention of changing my mind, right or wrong. "But there are things we have to discuss, and I would appreciate some privacy."

His steely gaze remains on me for a moment before he finally grunts and takes to the sky, closely followed by Vegeta, leaving me alone with Videl once again.

Alone to do the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

I allow myself time to consider what I'm going to say very carefully, trying my best to weed out the feelings that threaten to tear me apart. "Videl... I'm sorry. For everything."

She draws in a tremulous breath. "So am I, Goku."

Kami... how can anything hurt this much?

"I know what you're going to say," she whispers, her words thick with anguish.

I nod, not allowing myself to look at her for fear I'll buckle right then and there. "Hai, but I want you to promise me something as well."

"Nanda?"

"Promise me that, no matter what, you'll work things out with him," I reply.

I hear her gasp softly. "I... I don't know if we can, Goku. After what just happened, I'm not even sure he'll want to."

I knew she would say that. "He will," I offer knowingly. "Believe me, once you sit down and explain everything, he'll want you more than ever, and I doubt he'll ever take you for granted again. It's a painful way to realize it, but that will pass with time once you two get things sorted out. It won't be easy for either of you, but I think it'll be best for everyone in the end. Can you promise me that?"

After a significant pause, she lets out a long sigh. "No." I snap my head up and see her just as she continues. "But I promise to try for the sake of my family." She smiles apologetically, and I realize that my mouth is still open even though I'm speechless. "What about you and Chichi? What are you going to do?"

Oh Kami... "I have no idea," I manage after I shake myself out of it. "I guess that depends on Gohan. There's a chance he may not want to tell her for fear of hurting her," I reason, "though if he still wants me dead, that's the best way to go about it, I suppose..."

"I'll make sure he doesn't tell her," Videl states firmly after a moment. "The last thing I want is for her to take any ill feelings out on Pan. Dealing with Gohan will be hard enough, especially since Pan's crazy about you."

I nod once again and look up at the morning sky as a cluster of birds glide overhead. "Thank you... for everything." Out of the corner of my eye, I see the confused look she's giving me, but I ignore it and get on my feet. "We better go before Piccolo comes looking. Besides," I add tiredly, "it seems our little skirmish has attracted some attention."

"Someone's coming?" she asks quickly as she stands and looks to the sky.

"Well, it's not often that I transform into a Super Saiyajin Three, and it's even rarer for Gohan to max himself out. Both happening simultaneously will put anyone that can sense ki on red alert... especially in our group." I do a quick check and nod negligibly to myself. "Feels like everyone except Krillen's headed to your house - probably cause that's where Vegeta and Piccolo are."

"Oh."

I know... believe me, I don't wanna go either, cause once we leave this place, it's over.

Really over.

And if we don't get the hell outta here, I might just change my mind.

"C'mon," I urge gently, offering my hand.

Her chin trembles for an instant, but she quickly clamps her jaw tightly before weaving our finger together for the last time and keeps her soulful eyes locked unwaveringly onto mine as we make the instantaneous trip home.

It's ironic, really. I've died twice, but as we step onto our joint lawn and her hand hesitantly lets go of mine, it's the first time I've ever actually felt dead.

*~*~*~*

Lyrics: Trouble by Coldplay and Into the Fire by Bryan Adams

*~*~*~*

A/N #2: That's it for this go-around, and I'll see ya at the next update :) I know I usually do reviewer responses, but it's so late, and this chapter has truly drained me... I promise to get you guys next time around :) Until then!

Oh yeah... *slaps forehead* If you want to be emailed when I update, send a blank email to the address below.

Mailing list: pareathe-subscribe@topica.com

Now, that's really it... *grins* Ja!