Fan Fiction ❯ It Only Hurts ❯ It Only Hurts When I Lie ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I'm really sorry Blu we had temporary lapse in sanity around here.” Kitty pleaded into the phone. “They assumed that I couldn't have company, but they were severely mistaken.”
 
“Has Puppy forgiven you yet?” Blu asked from the other line.
 
“Yeah she's on her way. Why? Should she not have?” Kitty questioned.
 
“Oh she just went off on a rant, I thought she would, but you never know with her.” Blu said.
 
“So you coming?” Kitty asked as she shoved a pillow at Spike who was trying to nuzzle her neck, or something, all that mattered was that his head was way to close to hers.
 
“Yeah, but what was that grunting noise?” Blu asked referring to the noise that Spike had made when the pillow came in contact with his head.
 
“Oh that was the T.V.” Kitty claimed as she moved and stuck her foot in his chest pushing him away. “You know one of those corny teen movies, where the boy's annoying beyond reason and doesn't deserve the girl.”
 
“Really…” Blu said shaking her head, even though Kitty couldn't see her.
 
“Oh just get over here.” Kitty sighed, knowing that Blu didn't believe her.
 
“No problem, but if I get turned away again I'll start beating up your fathers staff.” Blu said before hanging up.
 
“Don't you people say goodbye to each other?” Spike asked as she put down her foot so he could come closer. “I mean what if you had something important to say at the last second?”
 
“You sound older then my father.” Kitty commented as she put her hand on his forehead keeping his head away from hers.
 
Spike moved her hand and did what he had been trying to accomplish since she started making those silly phone calls, nuzzle her.
 
“I swear you're part dog or something, you just have to be.” Kitty said as she moved out of the way only to fall on the floor.
 
“Nope just full demon.” Spike said looking down at her with a very cat-ish grin. “Nothing weird here.”
 
“You're a demon, that makes you weird to begin with.” Kitty said as she sat up and watched him carefully. He had rolled on to his stomach, and for some odd reason his body looked slightly tense. Then Kitty's eyes widened when she realize that he look just like an animal before it pounced.
 
Right when he did so Kitty let out a yelp and scrambled out of the way. Spike let out a yelp of his own when his head came in contact with a coffee table.
 
“What was that for?” Kitty asked glaring at him as he rubbed his head. “You were about to tackle me!”
 
“It was all in good fun.” Spike said with a lazy smile. “I wasn't going to hurt you.”
 
“I'm sure…” Kitty said as she reached for the ringing phone, only for Spike to snatch it up before she got the chance.
 
“Hello?” Spike said into the phone as he held Kitty at bay with his foot. “Mmhmm…well tell them that Kitty will be right down…No she's right here…”
 
“Give me that…” Kitty hissed at him as she tried to reach the phone.
 
Spike shook his head at her as he said, “No she can't come to the phone, like I said she'll be right down…Mmhmm well her friends will just have to tell her that in person…” Spike reached out with his free hand and grabbed both of Kitty's before letting his foot fall, in turn letting Kitty fall on him. “Yes I know that could be very dangerous to the people in the lobby…well no I can't tell her you see, she's ignoring me…”
 
“I am not…” Kitty growled at him as she tried to get her hands back.
 
“I don't know what you're hearing but Kitty's no where near the phone, she's back in her room waiting for the go ahead to go down stairs…I see, well you do know that if you had let me hang up already we'd be down there, and Kitty would have this info…Right well we'll be there in a second.” And with that Spike hung up the phone. “You know it's very rude to interrupt someone while they're on the phone.”
 
“It's my phone! I have the right to be rude!” Kitty yelled at him. “Now let me up so I can go downstairs.”
 
Spike nodded and let her go as she asked. “Now off to see your friends. I wonder if they'll remember me…”
 
“No!” Kitty yelped as she stopped in mid step for the door.
 
“You don't think so?” Spike said “innocently” as he walked past the frozen girl. “I thought I was a person that was hard to forget. Maybe I should find out what happened to my hat maybe that will remind them.”
 
“Fuck no! They can't see you!” Kitty said as she ran and blocked his way to the door. “They can't know anything about that deal!”
 
“But they know that your father runs a gang?” Spike questioned.
 
“Yes, otherwise they wouldn't be here!” Kitty whined at him. “But they can't know…”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because…I don't want them to know…” Kitty whined. “Please don't let them find out…”
 
Spike watched her for a second. This must have been important if Kitty had stooped so low as to beg without realizing it. At least she didn't strike him as someone that would openly beg. “I suppose I could keep the secret for a while…”
 
“Thank you!” Kitty cheered as she hugged him.
 
“Mmhmm…” Spike mumbled as he returned the hug and kissed the top of her head before letting her go. “I'm sure your friends are waiting…”
 
Kitty nodded and turned around opening the door. This wouldn't be completely unbearable if she could just wait until the right moment to tell her friends.
 
 
Once Kitty and Spike got down stairs all hell broke loose. First Blu and Puppy teased Kitty about Spike being there, though they still didn't know the whole deal, then the real problems started when Blu told Kitty what her dad had proposed to them.
 
“He did what?!” Kitty growled at Blu and Puppy.
 
“He asked it we wanted to join.” Blu said with a shrug. “We said we'd think about it.”
 
“No.” Kitty said shaking her head. “Come on guys my dad doesn't know the meaning of a safe job. You know that! I came to school with a bruised stomach, and a sprained ankle from a stake out job.”
 
“It's not until after school ends.” Blu said with a shrug.
 
“Puppy you're still sane aren't you? Talk Blu out of this!” Kitty said looking pleadingly at Puppy.
 
“No…It's a good deal, besides I'd just be undercover…” Puppy said shaking her head at Kitty. “It's better then anything else that I've seen so far.”
 
“Do you know about the tests to get into the gang?” Kitty questioned, ignoring her dad as he came out of his office.
 
“I promised to go easy on them.” Gabriel said from next to his daughter.
 
Kitty growled, not even looking at her father. “Blu you wanted to be an actress…”
 
“I'll be doing undercover too, but I'll also be on the team you're going to be on after school, best of both worlds.” Blu said with a shrug.
 
“I can't believe this…” Kitty sighed.
 
“Kitten why don't ya just forget about it for now and hang out with your friends.” Spike said from the couch a few feet away.
 
Kitty looked over at Spike for a second, this didn't seem like him, but she nodded anyway and headed off with her friends.
 
Once the girls were out of hearing range Gabriel looked Spike over and then ask, “What's with you?”
 
Spikes shrugged saying, “Nothing. I'm just tired, I think I've staid up one to many days.”
 
Gabriel shook his head before walking away mumbling, “A day with my daughter is too much even for a demon, I knew she was a hand full.”
 
 
A few hours later the group of friends were sitting in the pool hall, shooting a round of pool. For the most part the dangerous subject of the gang had been carefully avoided, and everyone was ok with each other. It was still a little tense between everyone but the game of pool was clearing the air as every one shot empty playful threats at the other for getting a ball in.
 
“Are you okay Spike?” Kitty asked sitting next to him. “Don't seem like yourself…”
 
Spike scooted closer to her and whispered teasingly in her ear, “I'm just plotting.”
 
Kitty jumped as a pool-ball was shoved at her, stopping her from commenting on what Spike had said.
 
“Here take it! I scratched!” Blu said as she walked back to her side of the pool-table.
 
“Right…” Kitty said as she stood up and grabbed her pool-stick in the other hand. Kitty made her shot sinking the one ball. Then she ran the table for about two more before she missed the four-ball. “You're shot Pup.” Kitty said looking over at her with a soft smile.
 
“Not one shot…You left me not one shot…” Puppy complained as she looked over the pool-table.
 
Kitty sat back down and Spike smirked at her and said, “You could have made that last shot.”
 
Kitty shrugged saying, “I missed, that's all there is to it.”
 
Spike shook his head standing up after Puppy took her shot, but missed. “Sure…” Spike said before taking his shot.
 
“They're going to win…” Puppy whined pulling on Blu's arm like she was going to pull it off when Spike hit in the two-ball.
 
“No they won't…” Blu said that and then Spike sunk their last ball before the eight-ball. “I spoke too soon…”
 
“No…” Puppy said hopefully.
 
“Eight ball corner pocket” Spike said pointing at the one closest to the door.
 
“No…” Puppy repeated as Spike took his shot. “Yup we lost…”
 
“Woot!” Kitty cheered as she jumped up. “We won!”
 
Spike grin at her triumphantly as Blu and Puppy started leading her from the pool room insisting that pool was overrated. He followed after them as they pulled Kitty down the hall. “So where are we off to girls?”
 
“Training room!” Puppy cheered as she dropped back so she was walking with Spike. “You see, Blu has never lost a match against Kitty, but Kitty refuses to give up.”
 
“I'm sure.” Spike said with a nod. “So why does she look so reluctant to try this time?”
 
“Maybe because you're here.” Puppy said with a shrug. “I dunno…”
 
~
 
“I give…” Kitty said in a defeated tone as she looked down at the two staffs that were crossed right near her neck. “Back off…”
 
“I win again!” Blu cheered with a smile as she moved away from Kitty and put down the staffs. “Wan'na try again?”
 
“No…” Kitty sighed. “I'm done…”
 
“Are you ok?” Puppy asked as she came up beside Kitty. “You don't seem like yourself…”
 
“I'm fine.” Kitty said with a smile. “Why don't you give it a try Pup, maybe you'll have a bit of beginners luck.”
 
“Beginners luck?” Spike asked from off to the side.
 
“She's only sparred once, and that was with me.” Kitty said with a shrug. “Pup doesn't much care for fighting.”
 
“Uh…no…that's ok.” Puppy said shaking her head. “She's too good for me.”
 
“That's fine.” Blu said with a shrug, “We won't make you. Um…Let's see, why don't we get something to eat?”
 
Everyone seemed to agree and they set off for the café. Everyone seemed to fall into silence as they sat down too eat. Some would say it was comfortable others would say it was uncomfortable; it depended on who you asked. Kitty after a minute excused herself to the restroom.
 
Kitty turned around the corner to go down the short hall to the restrooms she stopped after a few steps and leaned against the wall. Kitty let out a frustrated sigh as she hugged herself; today was not going the way it was supposed to.
 
“I'll be right back…” Spike mocked Kitty as he stood in front of her. “No really I'm fine.”
 
“Stop that.” Kitty whined pathetically. Even Kitty knew she sounded completely pathetic. The fact that the demon in front of her had absolutely no sympathy for her didn't help at all.
 
“Seriously it's not a crime to need to use the restroom.” Spike mocked as he leaned his hands on the wall on either side of her head, which was looking down at the ground. “Don't worry about me.”
 
“Stop…” Kitty whimpered, desperately wanting to disappear into the wall as she pressed herself back against it. “I don't want to hear it.”
 
“Ok I understand you can tell lies but you can't listen to them.” Spike growled at her as he looked down at her. “Tell me do you listen to yourself when you lie, or do you just let them slip carelessly from your mouth?”
 
“Spike…” Kitty looked up at him pleadingly as she bit her bottom lip. “Please…don't…”
 
Spike sighed and dropped one of his hands from the wall sliding it around her waist as he closed the gap between them. “It hurts doesn't it?” Spike leaned down and whispered in her ear. “It hurts because you're lying to them and they're worried about you. Am I right Kitten?”
 
Kitty let out a mix between a sob and a whimper as she hugged him and buried her head in his chest. She couldn't say anything, she'd probably cried and somebody in the café would probably hear her.
 
“Shhh…” Spike soothed as he leaned her against the wall both his hands sliding to her hips. “Kitten…My Kitten, don't cry.”
 
Spike was originally going to deny her comfort after teasing her but she looked so sad, and lost. She didn't know what was wrong with her, and that probably scared her. “You're ok…I'm going to take care of you.” Spike promised her.