InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dog in the House ❯ Chapter 4

[ A - All Readers ]

Sesshomaru knew his mate had been working tirelessly for his half-brother who, he had to admit, was doing a phenomenal job of running the company in his stead. However, he felt that the hanyou was working Kagome a little too hard and too long. She seemed to come home later and later each day and he hated to admit that it had him worried.
So he did what he thought was best and called Inuyasha to tell him to ease up on his mate.
"Look, Sesshomaru," Inuyasha replied after listening to his brother complain about Kagome's hours. "Kagome controls the hours she works, not me."
"What do you mean?" Sesshomaru had to ask.
"I think you need to ask her why she's working so much," the hanyou told him.
So he did.
It was an evening that Kagome had called and told Sesshomaru that she would be home later than usual. When she had finally come through the door it was well after the twins had been fed, bathed and put to bed. Sesshomaru had kept a plate of dinner warmed for her in the oven for when she eventually came home.
He sat her down at the kitchen table and allowed her to eat. When she had finished, Sesshomaru sat down in front of her before she could leave the table and told her,
"We need to talk, Kagome."
"What's the matter, Sesshomaru?" she asked, worry tingeing her voice. "Are the boys okay? Is something wrong?"
"Kagome, you've been working so many hours," he began. "I called the hanyou to find out why he was working you so hard…" and before he could finish she interrupted.
"You WHAT?" she yelled. "You called my boss to find out why I'm working so much?" She was upset by this and couldn't believe he would call Inuyasha about her hours. Kagome took some deep breaths to calm herself while
Sesshomaru sat back wondering what it was that he did wrong.
"Sesshomaru. While I appreciate that you worry about me and how much I work, I would appreciate it if you had asked me about it instead of going behind my back about it," she told him calmly.
"Inuyasha had told me to speak to you about it. That is why I am sitting here now speaking with you, mate. Why are you working so much?" He truly wanted to know. He was struggling with his inner beast that wanted to know if their mate was displeased with them. It made both of them uncomfortable thinking that his mate was unhappy in their mating. He needed to know.
"A-are you….discontent with this Sesshomaru?" he quietly asked.
Eyes widening, Kagome understood. He was afraid that she was unhappy in their relationship and that she was working long hours to put distance between them. It made her realize that she needed to make changes so he didn't feel this way.
She got up from her chair and sat on her knees in front of her mate, putting her head on his lap. Sesshomaru understood her submission to him and realized that he was mistaken in his theory.
He stood up and pulled his mate up with him and held her in his arms, both of them sharing in a long overdue embrace.
"I'm so sorry, Sessho," Kagome began. "I didn't realize that you would feel this way," she choked out trying unsuccessfully not to cry. "I've been working so hard on a project that Inu had given me and you know how much of a perfectionist I can be. I just wanted to do really well and prove to you and to him that you didn't hire me just because I'm your mate and…." she rambled.
"Shhh mate," Sesshomaru tried to calm her. Picking her up bridal style he left the dishes on the table knowing they'd be there in the morning and took her to their room.
The next day, Kagome took the day off to reconnect with her family and to review her priorities. Things would have to change.
AN: Sorry, not the happy funny you are used to with this series. Sometimes families need to stop and do a reality check and review their priorities. We sometimes forget what is important in our life and need a swift kick to remind us!