InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life's Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


A/N: Okay… Naraku is kind of psychotic in this chapter. Well, more so than usual. Also, there is a horrible cliffy…Anyways, enjoy this chapter!


Chapter Ten

The first thing Rin noticed when she woke up was that it was pitch black. The second thing she noticed was the deafening silence that seemed to surround her. She sat quietly on the ground, waiting for some sign of light or life to make its appearance. Her hands were bound behind her back so she had no way of feeling her way around, not that she particularly wanted to. The smell emanating from the ground was about as pleasant as a rotting corpse. When she had first woken up she thought she was already dead, but the horrible pain from her injuries were a constant reminder that she was, indeed, very much alive.

It was impossible to know how long she had been trapped in the darkness. There was no sense of time, no sound to indicate the passing of an hour, a minute, a second. And when the doorknob keeping her trapped turned the noise seemed so foreign to her and the blinding light filling the room was nearly enough to make her scream. She cried out and turned away from the painful brightness. A low chuckle came from a shadow standing in the doorway and Rin squinted, trying her best to see who the unwanted visitor was. A softer light came on inside the room she was being held captive in, and Rin suddenly wished it was dark again. The walls and floor were made of stone that looked like it belonged in a 17th century dungeon. Rats that had been sneaking across the ground suddenly raced in all directions to escape the light and Rin was horrified to see they had been eating one of their own kind. The half-eaten corpse must have been what was giving off the horrible smell. Cracks in the walls seemed to ooze some sort of grey slime and Rin shuddered, happy she hadn’t been leaning against the disgusting mess. She turned back to the stranger and scowled.

“Who are you?! What do you want with me? Where am I?!” Rin screeched.

The man chuckled again and stepped out of the light of the hallway and Rin’s eyes widened in recognition.

“You’re the boy from the party! You’re Naraku!” she said.

Naraku nodded and gave her a mock bow. “At your service, Miss Rin,” he said.

Rin sneered at him and this only caused him to smile. “What do you want with me?” Rin spat.

Naraku’s lips curved up in a devilish grin and he stepped towards Rin. Her eyes widened in alarm and she edged away from him.

“Why my dear, sweet Rin, that is no way to treat your half-brother.”

Rin stared in shock at his declaration and nearly toppled over. Naraku chuckled again and grabbed her chin.

“That’s right, dear sister. I am your kin.”

With that said Naraku raised his hand and let it come down hard on Rin’s head. She fell to the ground, unconscious, and Naraku turned out the light and left the room.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Rin woke up again an hour later and groaned. She felt something scratching its way up her leg and screamed. She kicked and squirmed and the rats that had swarmed her body squeaked and ran back to their holes. A sob escaped her throat as Rin tried to push herself into a sitting position. She heard the scratching of the rat’s little claws on the ground and waited for them to try and crawl on her again. She relaxed a little when they continued to skitter across the floor well out of her reach. The light in her room was turned on again and Rin squinted and dropped her head so her chin touched her chest. The door was pushed open and she tried to peek through her hair and see who it was.

A tray clattered to the ground by her feet. Before she could see who brought it they were behind her and cutting off the rope binding her hands together. Rin rubbed her sore wrists and looked up. She immediately recognized the woman standing in front of her and scowled.

“You, too, Kagura?” Rin asked sadly.

Kagura folded her arms across her chest and frowned. “Look, you better just go along with this little plan and do as Naraku tells you. It will be a lot easier for you. Now eat before I lose my patience.”

Rin looked down at the food again and her stomach growled loudly. She looked up at Kagura suspiciously and the demoness sighed in exasperation.

“I didn’t poison it you dolt. We need you alive if Naraku is going to do this. Now eat!” Kagura yelled.

Rin frowned and picked up a chicken leg. She stuck her tongue out and tasted it experimentally. When nothing happened to her after a moment, she practically inhaled the chicken and mashed potatoes shoveled onto her plate. The wind demoness smirked and took away the empty plate when Rin had finished. Kagura began walking toward the door and Rin reached out frantically.

“Kagura wait! Where am I?!” Rin cried.

The look on the wind demoness’ face sent chills down Rin’s spine as she hovered in the doorway.

“You’re in hell,” she said before slamming it shut and turning off the lights.

Rin heard the clinking of metal signaling a locked door and choked on a sob. She was going to go insane in this little room, in the dark. She had to find a way out of here before she died of infection. Her wounds had been sewn shut, but that didn’t mean they wouldn’t get infected in this moist, disgusting place.

I hope Sesshomaru can find me. Rin thought before she allowed herself to fall back to sleep.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru came to a halt in his chase after Naraku. The demon’s scent seemed to just disappear along with Rin’s. He growled in frustration and backtracked in an effort to pick up the scent again. After another hour of searching, the irritated dog demon made his way back to his house. Izayoi and Inutaisho were startled when Sesshomaru came through the front door in a whirlwind of fury and anguish.

“Sesshomaru, what happened?” Inutaisho asked when his son finally calmed enough to talk.

Sesshomaru stared at his father through red eyes and growled. “Rin has been kidnapped,” he stated.

Izayoi gasped and started forward, but Inutaisho caught her and held her against him.

“Who kidnapped her?” Inutaisho asked.

“It was Naraku. He’s a student at our school.”

“A student? How long ago was she taken?”

“Several hours. The scent was a little old, but I was able to follow it for a few miles. It just disappeared suddenly.”

Inutaisho looked at his son and nodded. “I’ll go to the hospital and have them check the surveillance tapes. Sesshomaru, you go to Rin’s house and check on her father. Wait and see if there is a ransom note or a phone call. Izayoi will wait here by the phone,” Inutaisho ordered.

Sesshomaru nodded and headed out the door. He didn’t wait to hear his father tell him good luck.

The run to Rin’s house was quick and he growled at the thought of checking up on the man who had nearly killed her. Sesshomaru was more than willing to kill the man once he found out about all the years Rin had suffered, but after she explained the gravity of the situation he agreed to keep it secret for the time being. There was no need to put her friends in unnecessary danger. He stalked up to the door and was surprised to find it already open. He knocked lightly and it swung forward with a loud creak and he stepped inside the house. The stinking smell of old blood was the first thing he noticed, but it was the rotting head sitting on a table in the middle of the room that made him look away. Apparently Naraku paid Rin’s father a visit. Sesshomaru’s mind raced as he tried to connect the unrelated clues. He couldn’t understand Naraku’s obsession with Rin and her father, or why he would go so far and commit such a heinous crime against a man he didn’t even know.

Sesshomaru stepped out of the house and called the police department. They arrived within fifteen minutes and Sesshomaru had to relay all he knew concerning the kidnapping and Rin’s father. An hour later, the police had set up station and were waiting for Rin’s kidnapper to make the call. After waiting for another hour, the impatient demon said he was heading home to see if his father had made any progress. Much to his annoyance, Sesshomaru ran into Miroku and Sango upon exiting the house. The couple finally settled on accompanying Sesshomaru when he agreed to tell them everything that happened once they arrived. Now, thirty minutes later, Rin’s frustrated friends sat before Sesshomaru and listened patiently as he told them what was going on. Sango was the first to react. Her hands shook and tears streamed down her face as a shaky scream built up in her throat. Miroku took hold of the hysterical woman and tried to soothe her while holding back angry tears of his own. Sango curled against him and wept as Miroku stroked her hair.

“Why her? Why does this have to happen to her?” Miroku asked no one in particular.

Sesshomaru looked to the floor and sighed. He ran a hand through his long, silver hair and picked up his cell phone, praying his father found some sort of clue from the surveillance tapes at the hospital. Inutaisho picked up at the first ring and was pleased to hear his son’s voice. However, the news about Rin’s father only added to the suspicion and confusion of the case.

“Have you found anything?” Sesshomaru asked, a hint of desperation in his tone.

He heard his father sigh through the other end and Sesshomaru fell back into the chair he had previously been occupying.

“What do you mean the surveillance tapes are missing? How is that possible?!” Sesshomaru asked angrily.

There was a moment of silence as Sesshomaru listened to his father. The sound of Sango’s whimpering nearly drove him insane, thinking that somewhere, that could be his Rin crying. “I see. I’ll call you and let you know if anything happens. You do the same.” Sesshomaru growled and leaned his head back. He could feel a migraine coming on.

The room was suddenly quiet and he looked up to see Sango unconscious in Miroku’s arms. Miroku looked around frantically and Sesshomaru suddenly felt bad for him. His best friend had been kidnapped and what looked like his girlfriend was having a mental breakdown, and all he could do was sit back and watch. There was a knock at the front door and Sesshomaru snarled. He threw himself from the chair and stalked to the front door, leaving Miroku to settle Sango on the couch.

When Sesshomaru reached the entrance, he was beat to the door by Inuyasha. The half-demon threw it open and a sobbing Kagome flew forward into his waiting arms. Sesshomaru stood for a moment and watched as his younger brother comforted Rin’s friend. More noise came from the living room and Sesshomaru could only assume Sango had woken up.

Perfect, just perfect. Sesshomaru thought. He decided he needed to get away from all the crying and all the hysterics before he went crazy. Without a word to his brother, Sesshomaru slipped through the open door and jumped as far away from the house as he could. When he landed he bolted through the city and leapt up the buildings, daring the wind to try and take away all his pain. But the wind had no such power and Sesshomaru soon found himself at the park, holding back his anger as he thought of Rin.

“It’s a terrible feeling, isn’t it? Losing the one you love.”

Sesshomaru bristled at the voice of the man who caused this horrible nightmare. He snarled and turned in the direction the voice came from. Naraku stood there, smirking, as Sesshomaru’s eyes took on a crimson color.

“Where is she?” he growled through clenched teeth.

Naraku smiled and walked circles around the dog demon. The black trench coat he was wearing billowed out when the wind caught it and Sesshomaru nearly gagged when he saw that the clothes he wore underneath were covered in blood. Naraku looked down at the soiled garments and laughed.

“Oh, the blood. Well you see, it was no easy task pulling Rin out of that hospital room. What with all the machines she was connected to. Nothing a good pull couldn’t fix, though. But her blood just seemed to splatter all over the place when I ripped the tubes out,” Naraku explained with a hearty laugh.

Sesshomaru growled low in his throat and made to attack Naraku. The demon tsked and held up a hand at Sesshomaru.

“Now now, wouldn’t want to kill the only person who can lead you to your precious Rin.” Naraku smirked when Sesshomaru eased himself back. “That’s a good dog. Now, about Rin. I will let you see her on several conditions; no police, no phones, no one. No one but you that is. I’ll take you there right now if you’ll agree to leave your phone on that park bench. Do we have a deal?”

Naraku held out his hand and Sesshomaru scowled at it, but put out his own despite his better judgment. He set his phone on the bench and grabbed Naraku’s hand. Naraku smirked and Sesshomaru’s world was spinning violently. The only thing that remained still was Naraku, but everything behind and around him whirled and twisted. When everything finally came to a stop, Naraku let go of Sesshomaru’s hand and the dog demon fell to the ground. The room he was in was spinning and he couldn’t seem to stand up.

“What happened? Where are we?” Sesshomaru asked. He tried to focus on Naraku but it only made him nauseas.

“Well, I just transported you to my warehouse. It’s something you have to get used to. I didn’t like it at first, but now I find it quite convenient. It made you lose my scent, didn’t it?” Naraku spoke animatedly.

After finally gaining a grip on his surroundings, Sesshomaru rose to his feet unsteadily. He swayed once and grabbed on to a pole within reach.

“Where is Rin?” he asked. The world finally seemed to stop spinning and he was able to stand on his own.

Naraku smiled and clapped his hands together. “Right! Kagura! Bring her out!” Naraku shouted.

His voice echoed in the abandoned warehouse and pigeons flew from the rafters and out the broken windows. Several moments passed before Sesshomaru saw movement in the shadows of one of the many hallways. The sight that greeted him was not what he expected. Kagura stepped out of the shadows with Rin. Her arm was tossed around the demoness’ shoulders and Kagura was half dragging her body to the open room where he and Naraku stood. Her entire body seemed to be covered in blood and her face was littered with bruises. Her right lip was busted open and swollen and bleeding. Sesshomaru snarled and turned on Naraku.

“What have you done to her?!” he roared.

Kagura scowled and came to a stop close to Naraku. She pulled Rin’s arm off her shoulder and let the girl go. Rin fell to the ground in a heap and moaned. She tried to push herself up but Naraku put his foot on her back and pushed her back down.

“Now now, dear sister. We wouldn’t want you getting up and hurting yourself,” Naraku chided as he pressed harder on her back.

Rin cried out and her wounds began to bleed again. Sesshomaru could barely control his anger as he watched Naraku torture the woman he had come to love.

“Let her go!” Sesshomaru growled.

Naraku looked up and smiled merrily before taking his foot off Rin’s back.

“Now why would I do that? I have every intention of killing her,” Naraku said.

Sesshomaru’s eyes widened in surprise and he stumbled forward. “But you said-,”

“I said I would let you see her. I never said anything about you taking her away.”

Sesshomaru roared in fury and lunged forward. Naraku vanished along with Rin and Kagura before Sesshomaru could reach them. The group rematerialized behind Sesshomaru and the enraged dog demon turned and snarled, his eyes now completely red.

“Ku ku ku, if the dog demon can’t control his rage then I won’t allow him to say goodbye to his dear, sweet Rin. Isn’t that right, baby sister?” Naraku said as he grinned down at her. Rin looked up at him in disgust and began to pull herself up again. Naraku allowed her to take a seated position, but when she tried to stand he backhanded her so hard she fell back to the ground in a motionless heap. Kagura looked at Sesshomaru nervously and backed a few steps away from her boss.

“Naraku, don’t you think you’re taking this a bit far?” she asked.

Naraku scoffed and lifted Rin’s body from the floor. He motioned for Kagura to bring him a chair and when she had, he settled Rin into it. Naraku looked back at Sesshomaru and was amused to see his eyes back to their golden hue.

“Ah, finally figured your anger will get you no closer to Rin? You’re a smart one, aren’t you?” Naraku said.

“You called Rin your sister. How is that possible? And why did you kill her father?” Sesshomaru asked through grit teeth.

Naraku clapped his hands together and stepped in front of the chair Rin was seated on. Rin groaned and slowly came to. She glared at Naraku’s back and the demon turned to smile down at her.

“We’re half-siblings; if you want to be exact that is. My father raped her mother. I was a few months old at the time, but my father told me everything when I got older. You see, her mother was working under my father, and he was very attracted to her. Rin’s mother was very beautiful and he found he couldn’t resist her. In fact, he took her right here in this very building,” Naraku said proudly as he held his arms out, indicating the worn down and abandoned warehouse.

“You’re lying!” Rin screamed.

Naraku turned around and slapped her. “That was very rude. You should know that I never lie,” Naraku said before continuing. “Anyways, my father threatened Rin’s mother with her job and her life if she ever told anyone what happened. A few months later, turns out the whore was pregnant. My father demanded she get an abortion and she refused. It was her way of getting back at my father. Well, Rin’s ‘father’ was none the wiser and thought he had impregnated the whore. When my dear, sweet sister was born, he realized she looked nothing like him. Well, Rin’s mother broke down and told him everything and this really made my father angry. He finally got his chance five years later and killed her in that awful car wreck. You remember that, don’t you Rin?” Naraku asked as he turned back to look at his half-sister.

Tears burned in the back of Rin’s eyes as she listened to the crazed man. Everything about her life was starting to make sense. Seemingly pleased with Rin’s silence, Naraku smiled and continued on, oblivious to Sesshomaru's growing rage.

“Unfortunately, my father was horribly injured in the wreck as well. He told me all about you, Rin. He told me it was my duty to make you suffer as much as humanly possible and to kill you because he wasn’t able to get the chance. Your father hired my services many, many years after he started beating you. I never met him in person. If he knew how old I was he never would have hired me. I also took on another name, of course, and you were trapped. I took care of him though. He was a stupid man. He thought I actually cared about the contract. It was just something I drew up to pacify him. He never saw it coming! Poor old bastard. Now I have you, and the last phase of my plan is to kill you in front of the man you love. I brought you two together, you see? Isn’t it beautiful? My father never would have expected his only son to be capable of such a beautiful plan. I even had the play fixed so you two would be forced to work together and fall in love. I am a genius!” Naraku shouted.

Sesshomaru screamed in rage and lunged once again at Naraku. When his fist tore through Naraku’s torso, the crazy demon just laughed and pulled Sesshomaru’s hand out.

“You cannot kill me, Sesshomaru. I have to avenge my father. There is nothing you can do to stop this!” Naraku threw his head back and laughed to the ceiling.

Sesshomaru growled and wiped at him again. His claws tore through Naraku’s shoulder and across his stomach, but Naraku only laughed again and jumped away.

“Ku ku ku, little doggy. Your anger is only going to kill Rin all the more quickly,” Naraku teased.

Sesshomaru stopped mid jump when he heard Rin cry out. He looked down at her and was horrified to see her coughing up blood. She sagged out of the chair and fell to the ground as more blood spurted from her mouth. The wounds that were supposed to tear through Naraku appeared across her shoulder. She looked up at Naraku angrily and scowled.

“What have you done to me?” she ground out.

Naraku laughed and landed gracefully several feet away. “I have created a unique bond with you. The longer this goes on the more affected you will feel. Every time your beloved attacks me, he is really attacking you. I feel no pain! I cannot die! There is no way you can win, baby sister. You will bleed to death from his attacks or I will kill you myself. Either way, you are going to die here,” Naraku explained haughtily.

Sesshomaru’s expression of anger turned to one of despair as he looked on at Rin. The injuries he gave to Naraku actually hurt her. Rin looked over at him desperately and the great dog demon knew what she was going to say.

“Don’t even think it, Rin! There is no way I am going to sacrifice you to kill this sick bastard,” Sesshomaru growled.

“Sesshomaru… I’m going to die either way. Please, just kill him,” Rin whispered sadly.

He looked at her forlornly and shook his head. Naraku appeared in front of him and Sesshomaru stumbled back a few steps.

“Now now doggy, worrying over your woman is only going to get you killed,” Naraku spat before taking a swipe at Sesshomaru.

He dodged just in time to avoid another skillfully placed blow from Naraku.

“Kind of hard to fight back when you can’t hit me, isn’t it?” Naraku taunted.

Sesshomaru growled in frustration and continued evading Naraku’s blows. He was caught off guard and Naraku was able to tear through the skin on Sesshomaru’s torso. The great dog demon grunted and staggered back, holding his arm against the fresh wound. Naraku brought his claws to his lips and licked at them voraciously. Sesshomaru sneered and ran forward, bringing his claws down on Naraku’s face. A scream erupted from Rin and Sesshomaru watched as four long claw marks broke out on her cheek. Blood oozed from the wounds and he was too distracted to notice Naraku running up behind him.

The pain was unlike any he had ever felt before. He looked down at the hand protruding from his chest and his jaw fell slack. Blood covered the hand and he watched, fascinated, as the appendage slowly turned into a thick tentacle. It ripped back out of his body and Sesshomaru fell to his knees. His gaze turned to Rin and the look on her face made the hair on his neck stand on end. She looked from the hole in his chest to the growing beast behind him. Tentacles soon surrounded Sesshomaru and the demon prince shouted out when Rin began to pull herself to him.

“Rin, stay where you are! What are you doing?” he gurgled angrily.

Rin pulled herself to his body and reached up to him. Sesshomaru took her hand and pulled her against him, oblivious to the mountain of tentacles that was forming around the pair. Rin pulled back and stared into Sesshomaru’s eyes.

“There’s only one thing you can do,” she choked through her tears.

Sesshomaru shook his head and was about to speak, but Rin silenced him with a finger to his lips.

“Sesshomaru, if I am bound to him and whatever you do to him happens to me; doesn’t it work the other way around?” Rin asked.

Sesshomaru’s eyes widened when she took his claws and pressed them against the flesh right above her heart.

“Sesshomaru, you have to do it. Neither of us will make it out of here if you don’t.”

Sesshomaru looked down at her as if she had gone crazy. He pulled his deadly claws away from her chest and hugged her as tightly as he could.

“No Rin, we will die together,” he whispered in her hair.

“Sesshomaru, neither of us has to die here,” Rin whispered back angrily.

He thought for a moment about her plan, and his eyes widened in realization. He gently pushed her back and stared into her eyes, finding peace in the love and trust he saw reflected back. He placed his hand back over her heart and smiled down at her.

“Rin, I’m so sorry,” he whispered before pressing his lips against hers and plunging his hand into her chest.