InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.


Life's Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter Eleven
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

Previously

“Sesshomaru, neither of us has to die here,” Rin whispered back angrily.

He thought for a moment about her plan, and his eyes widened in realization. He gently pushed her back and stared into her eyes, finding peace in the love and trust he saw reflected back. He placed his hand back over her heart and smiled down at her.

“Rin, I’m so sorry,” he whispered before pressing his lips against hers and plunging his hand into her chest.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

A blood curdling scream pierced through the air and Sesshomaru pulled his hand out of Rin’s chest and crushed her against him. The tentacles surrounding their bodies whipped around wildly and started destroying the building. Kagura was knocked back by one of the flailing limbs and she screamed as a large portion of the ceiling broke free and crushed her. Naraku continued to shriek as his tentacles took out the pillars holding up the warehouse. Everything around them began to crumble and Sesshomaru realized he had to get out of the building before it fell and killed them both. He gathered Rin in his arms and looked around for an easy exit. Not twenty feet away, he saw a window that shattered and began making his way towards it. A tentacle came crashing down and nearly flattened him and Rin, but he dodged it and started running toward the opening in the crumbling walls, ignoring the pain from the gaping hole in his chest. The injured dog demon avoided falling debris and massive appendages as he raced toward the window.

With a giant leap, Sesshomaru cleared the remaining distance and jumped through the opening. Upon landing he stumbled and pitched forward. Rin flew from his arms and he fell to the ground. Dust flew up around them as the building continued to fall. Sesshomaru pulled himself up and grabbed Rin’s body before running away from the collapsing warehouse as quickly as he could. The building caved in on itself and killed the remaining occupant inside. Naraku died with a final scream and then the surrounding area was quiet. Sesshomaru dropped to his knees and let Rin’s legs fall to the ground. He hugged her to his chest and sighed in relief.

“We did it, Rin. You were right, he’s dead now,” Sesshomaru murmured against her hair.

When he received no response he frowned and looked down at the woman in his arms. Her lifeless eyes were hooded and her mouth hung slightly open. Blood and dust covered her body and Sesshomaru touched her forehead. As soon as his hand made contact he recoiled. His face scrunched in confusion and he gently patted her cheek.

“Rin. Rin wake up.”

Sesshomaru shook her and Rin’s head rolled back and her hair brushed the ground. Sesshomaru looked at the body in his arms in disbelief. Tears formed in his eyes and the horrible stench of death finally reached his sensitive nose. Rin was dead. Sesshomaru leaned forward and pulled Rin to him, burying his face in her neck and choking back tears. His heart throbbed painfully as he rocked back and forth. It felt as if he had lost a part of himself and found that he was unable to stop the tears rolling down his cheeks.

“No Rin, you can’t die. You’re finally free. I need you. I love you,” Sesshomaru whispered against the crook of her neck.

Something snapped in the demon and he threw his head back and bellowed in agony. The sound that poured from his lungs was filled with grief and turned into a mournful howl. His eyes burned red and he screamed louder, snarling and crushing the corpse impossibly closer to his chest. The sound died in his throat and Sesshomaru wheezed. He laid Rin’s body on the ground gently and settled down next to her. His arm wound around her waist and he laid his head on her chest and whimpered. His body shook against hers as he mourned over his lost love.

Black spots began to dance across his line of sight and he gave in to it. His breathing became slow and deep and black clouded his vision. He thought he heard someone shouting at him, but he was too far gone. Sesshomaru lost consciousness and silently prayed he never woke up again.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

It was late in the afternoon when Sesshomaru came to. Inutaisho stood by the bed and watched patiently while his son took in his surroundings. He wasn’t prepared for the sudden change in Sesshomaru’s emotions. Inutaisho knew something was wrong when Sesshomaru’s eyes widened in alarm. He was momentarily stunned when his son pitched forward and started screaming for Rin. After brushing off the initial shock, Inutaisho leapt forward and tried to calm his son, but Sesshomaru continued to thrash and scream for Rin. His eyes went red and he clawed at his father in an effort to get the stronger demon away from him. Inutaisho yelled for help and Inuyasha and Izayoi were soon scrambling into the room. Sesshomaru saw them and snarled, but it was when the third person came through the door that the frantic dog demon stopped and fell silent.

“Sesshomaru?” the woman called tentatively.

Sesshomaru fell back against the bed and looked on in confusion. A woman that looked remarkably like his Rin stepped forward and sat on the bed next to him. But he knew this woman could not be her. Rin died in his arms, he killed her. The Rin imposter leaned forward and touched his cheek. He watched in fascination as a tear rolled down her own and a smile broke out on her face.

“Sesshomaru, I wasn’t sure if you were going to make it,” she whispered happily.

“Rin, is it really you?” Sesshomaru asked hoarsely.

Rin nodded through her tears and threw herself forward. Sesshomaru caught her and held her to him, breathing in her scent and running his hands over her body. She smelled just as he remembered and her skin was silky smooth under his coarse hands. He realized her wounds were gone and pushed her back so he could examine her. He took her face in his hands and looked her over slowly. The claw marks on her cheek were gone, all the bruises and small cuts had vanished, and there was no hole in her chest.

“What happened?” was all he could manage.

Rin smiled and looked at Inutaisho. “Your father saved me. He found us and brought your sword, Tenseiga. You remember it, don’t you?” Rin asked sweetly.

Sesshomaru nodded and hugged her to him again, afraid to let go lest she get taken from him again. “I didn’t know it had healing properties. I just thought it was some family heirloom. If I had known…”

Rin nuzzled into his shoulder and began to cry softly. Izayoi stepped forward and placed a hand on Sesshomaru’s shoulder. The dog demon looked up at her and gave her a small smile.

“You’ve been out for days, Sesshomaru. We were all so worried. And when Inutaisho brought Rin through that door, and when Inuyasha came in after carrying you… I thought the worst!” Izayoi choked out before falling to her knees and clutching more tightly at his shoulder.

Sesshomaru wrapped a free arm around his step-mother and rubbed her back. The human woman looked up at him and smiled lovingly before stroking his cheek and moving to stand by her mate. Inutaisho enfolded her in his arms and nodded to his son. Sesshomaru mimicked him and Inutaisho led his mate out of the room. Inuyasha followed the pair and shut the door quietly, but not before he gave his half-brother an approving grin.

When Sesshomaru and Rin were finally alone, Sesshomaru flipped her so she was beside him on the bed. Rin giggled and stroked his cheek, beaming when he sighed and nuzzled against her hand. Sesshomaru opened his eyes and settled his gaze on her, losing himself in the depths of her sparkling, chocolate brown eyes. He never wanted to see that light leave them again. He pulled her closer and put his head against her chest. The sound of her heartbeat finally eased Sesshomaru’s nerves and he sighed and kissed her collarbone.

“Sesshomaru, thank you for coming after me. Thank you for trusting me,” Rin whispered as she ran her fingers through his silver locks.

Sesshomaru’s brows creased and he frowned angrily. The sudden change in his demeanor startled Rin and she cupped his face in her hands.

“Sesshomaru, what’s wrong?”

Sesshomaru grabbed her hands and pulled them away from his face.

“Sesshomaru?” Rin asked frantically.

Sesshomaru moved away from Rin and sat on the edge of the bed. He dropped his head in his hands and curled into himself. Rin rushed forward and began stroking his back in an effort to get him to open up to her.

“Sesshomaru?! What’s happened? What’s wrong? Please, say something!”

Sesshomaru leaned back and stared blankly at the wall. Moments passed and Rin was about to say something, but Sesshomaru stopped her.

“How can you still want me after what I’ve done? After what I did?” he asked.

“Sesshomaru I don’t understa-,”

“I killed you, Rin! Naraku didn’t kill you! I did! How can you still love me?!” Sesshomaru bellowed.

Rin flinched at the volume of his voice and looked back at him sadly.

“Sesshomaru, you did the only thing you could do. It was the only way to kill him,” Rin started.

Sesshomaru snarled and turned away from her. Rin moved from the bed and went to kneel in front of him. She took his hands in hers and held them tightly in case he tried to pull away.

“Sesshomaru, it was better that way. If Naraku had gotten me, he would have completely mutilated my body. Your father would not have been able to bring me back no matter how hard he tried. Please Sesshomaru, please understand I don’t hold you responsible,” Rin pleaded as tears streamed down her cheeks.

Sesshomaru dropped his chin to his chest and shook his head in disbelief. “Why?” he croaked.

“Because I love you, Sesshomaru. I love you,” she whispered before leaning up and brushing her lips over his.

Sesshomaru gave in to the kiss immediately and crushed his mouth against hers. Rin let her fingers drag over his chest and groaned when Sesshomaru began massaging the base of her neck. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and let him pull her up to sit in his lap. Butterflies swirled in Rin’s stomach when Sesshomaru nibbled gently on her lower lip, groaning in protest when Sesshomaru pulled back and she cracked her eyes open to see him grinning at her.

“What?” she asked.

Sesshomaru’s grin widened and Rin glared at him suspiciously.

“When we first met you didn’t know one thing about kissing. Now you’re so good you’re giving me a-,”

“Sesshomaru!” Rin shrieked as her face turned red. She hit his chest in embarrassment and moved to stand up.

Sesshomaru chuckled and wrapped his arms around her waist, effectively holding her in place. He placed a chaste kiss on her jaw and looked up at her again. “I love you,” he said.

Rin blushed cutely and pushed him back on the bed, making the dog demon grumble happily and nuzzle into her hair. Rin gripped his shirt in her hands and inhaled deeply, finding comfort in his unique scent. There was a knock at the door and Rin looked up just in time to see her three best friends burst through the door. The trio was about to run to their friend when they saw the position she was in. Rin looked down at Sesshomaru and her cheeks flamed when she realized what the situation must look like to her friends. Rin grinned sheepishly at them and scratched her chin nervously.

“Kags, Miro, Sango… What a surprise! This isn’t what it looks like,” Rin giggled nervously.

Sesshomaru growled low in his throat and sat up. He nuzzled against her shoulder and licked her collar bone, then turned to smirk at her friends. Miroku, Sango, and Kagome all stared in shock as their most hated enemy continued to kiss Rin’s throat. Rin squealed and pushed Sesshomaru back, causing him to chuckle softly and smile up at her in triumph. Rin frowned and crawled off the bed, and the smug dog demon lying beneath her. Rin looked at her friends nervously and was relieved when they all rushed forward and embraced her from all sides.

“Oh Rinny! We were so worried about you! When we heard Naraku kidnapped you we were sick with worry!” Miroku said as he pulled the petite girl closer.

Rin giggled and enjoyed the closeness of her friends as they fussed over her.

“Rin, what’s going on with you and the Ice Prince? I thought you all hated one another,” Sango asked quietly.

Rin sighed and pushed herself out of the group. She walked over to where Sesshomaru sat on the bed and stood between his legs while wrapping an arm around his shoulders. She looked down at him and smiled before turning her gaze back to her friends.

“I love him. He saved me and I love him,” Rin stated.

Sesshomaru inwardly smirked and nuzzled into her stomach. Rin giggled and hugged his head closer to her torso. Kagome gave Rin a watery smile and laughed out loud.

“Oh Rin! I’m so happy! Now if I marry Inu and you marry Sesshomaru we can be sisters!” Kagome yelled excitedly. Her eyes widened when she realized what she said and she clamped a hand over her mouth.

“I knew it! I knew he liked you!” Rin yelled while pointing an accusatory finger at Kagome.

Miroku appeared behind Kagome and began rubbing her head affectionately.

“Awe, our little Kags is going to marry big, bad Inuyasha,” he teased.

Kagome swatted at her friend’s hand and folded her arms over her chest in annoyance.

“Yeah, now if only you and Sango could admit you love one another we would all have someone,” Kagome growled.

Sango blushed and Miroku turned to her and grinned.

“Well, what do you say, Sango?” he asked smoothly.

Sango’s eyes widened and she backed away from the advancing man.

“Now Miroku, you stay right where you are! Don’t you come any closer!” she ordered shakily.

Miroku smirked and backed Sango into a wall.

“Oh, and what are you gonna do about it?” he asked.

Sango’s eyes narrowed dangerously and Miroku instantly regretted pushing her so far.

“Pervert!” Sango screamed before smacking Miroku hard across the face.

Sesshomaru stared in shock as the other two women laughed as Miroku twitched on the floor. Sango turned her nose up in determination and stalked out of the room. Rin’s eyes sparkled as she watched her friends lovingly, happy that everything was finally going to go back to normal.

Well, almost normal. Rin thought before turning back to Sesshomaru.

The demon smiled and opened his arms, allowing Rin to run into them and wrap her arms around his neck. Sesshomaru kissed her gently and dropped his forehead to hers.

“Why haven’t you seen your friends until now? I’ve been out for a while?” he asked.

“I couldn’t leave you. They knew I was okay and could wait, but I didn’t know about you. I guess your father could have just used the sword on you, too. But I was so sick with worry I could think straight,” she whispered sadly.

Sesshomaru took a deep breath and enjoyed her sweet scent before tangling his hands in her hair and lowering her on his bed. “Forever, Rin. This is forever,” he whispered before brushing his lips over hers again.