InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Til Death Do Us Part ❯ The Apology ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer::tweaks Inuyasha's ears: He's just eye candy, nothing that I own yet.
AN: Thanks for all of your wonderful reviews. They really kept me going. I love you all! I've been so busy with homework and other things that I don't really have enough time to do anything. Enjoy the chapter people!
.
.
.
.
.
 
The Apology
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
The sound of chirping birds and the smell of freshly brewed coffee awoke a reluctant Kagome from her slumber. Jadedly, she rubbed the remnants of sleep from her eyes and sat up in the plush queen size bed. Bright rays of sunlight filtered through the golden translucent draperies that hung daintily, outlining the tall windows on either sides of the grand room. 'Wait,' she thought in confusion as she took in her surroundings, 'this isn't my room.'
Suddenly, recollections from the previous day began to flood her mind. All of the hurt, the anger, and the anguish of yesterday's trials and tribulations that she had pushed within the depths of her inner being came to surface. Her face hardened as a mental picture of Inuyasha taunting her in front of his friends came to mind. Kagome hated him. Pure and simple. She wished the earth would open up and swallow him so that she could live out the rest of her existence in peace.
She's just angry because she can't get laid. Not even by her own boyfriend , the hanyou had said.
Kagome swallowed a lump in her throat, remembering how she had cried herself to sleep last night. She was very proud of her virginity, no doubt about it, and usually a comment like that would have rolled off of her back. But somehow, she had let that cocky, self centered jerk get under her skin. 'Maybe because I'm going to die a virgin,' Kagome mused sardonically, but inwardly knew it was the fact that she had saved herself for someone special, not an asshole like Inuyasha.
She felt as if fate were mocking her. 'Perhaps I should have taken my chances with Kouga. At least he cared about me.' Mustering what little energy she possessed, Kagome rolled off of the bed and dragged herself into the bathroom, where she proceeded to gape at her unbecoming appearance. Dark circles hung under her eyes, her skin a pasty white color, and her hair hanging limply down her back. Kagome shook her head and slapped her face. `I refuse to let him get to me,' she admitted to her reflection with renewed vitality. `I won't succumb to that half-wit's ignorance even if it kills me.'
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
Inuyasha paced the kitchen floor nervously. She was up. He knew it. He had been debating all night if he should apologize for what he said or not. His pride told him not, that she had it coming, but his heart told him otherwise. He had been kind of impolite and, well, blatantly rude to her by mocking her virginity. Guilt had tore at him the remainder of the party, making having fun completely out of the picture, thus putting a damper on the night. It wasn't his fault she couldn't take a damn joke. In fact, if she hadn't showed up at all everything would be fine.
He growled at his rationalization of the situation. Ok, maybe he had gone a little overboard with the whole not getting laid comment, but that was no reason for her to get all worked up over it, right? “And what, my friend, seems to be the problem this glorious morning?” Inuyasha nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of the monk's voice, scattering his thoughts.
“Can't you alert somebody when you enter the room!" he snapped.
Miroku raised an eyebrow as he took a seat on the nearest stool. “Whatever happened to those sharp hanyou senses of yours?”
“Keh. Where's my breakfast?” Inuyasha demanded, his stomach beginning to growl in protest due to hunger. He was already in a pissy mood and the lack of food was only adding fuel to the flames. 'Somebody is going to get fired today if I don't have my breakfast within the next ten minutes.'
“Patience is a virtue Inuyasha-sama.” The hanyou's ears swiveled in the direction of the rough voice. A silver arched brow raised as a relatively old woman entered the kitchen. “Well its one virtue that I don't possess,” he put frankly. “And who might you be old hag?”
Her weathered face drew into a displeased frown at the lack of manners her young master possessed. "My name is Kaede. Ye mother hired myself as a chef and head housekeeper."
Inuyasha wrinkled his nose. “Aren't you a little old to be doing this kind of work?”
“Inuyasha, I didn't know you cared so much for the well being of another," Miroku commented plucking an apple out of the fruit basket and sinking his teeth into it.
“I don't. It's just that if her old ass falls and she breaks her hip on the job, I don't want to be sued or pay for her hospital bill,” he huffed indignantly and sat in an stool next to the monk.
“It's not like you couldn't spare the money,” Miroku murmured munching quietly and thinking of his parent's vast corporate empire.
The old woman stared distastefully for a moment at her young master before getting to work on making breakfast. “Will ye wife be wanting breakfast as well?”
“That's ok. I'm not really that hungry.” Inuyasha leapt back to his feet when the melodic voice of Kagome drifted into the kitchen. Amber eyes registered surprise when she crossed the threshold and entered the kitchen. Her calm and bright façade depicted nothing of what had happened the previous night. She was sporting low rider jeans and a white tank top with her hair pulled up into a high ponytail. A smile graced her delicate features and her azure eyes were bright with enthusiasm. And here he was thinking that she would be upset about what happened during the party.
Miroku eyes instantly widened in pleasure and glee and he rose to meet her, abandoning his half eaten apple on the counter in favor of the beautiful woman. “My you are certainly looking well this fine morning, Kagome-sama. And might I add that you look absolutely ravishing.” He reached for her hand and placed a kiss on her palm.
“Umm thank you Miroku,” Kagome said with a nervous laugh, withdrawing her hand from lecherous grasp of the monk. “You don't look too bad yourself.” Completely ignoring the hanyou, she brushed past him and over the new employee.
“Hi. My name is Kagome. Are you the new head housekeeper Megumi-san was talking about?” she asked with a bright smile.
Inuyasha growled, irritated that he was not receiving any attention. “Oi wench, don't ignore me!” he barked before the old hag could introduce herself. He felt his blood turn to ice when she threw the coldest glares over her shoulder at him.
“I do not believe I was speaking to you.” Her voice was filled with disgust and repugnance. Although disturbed and frightened by her sudden change in demeanor, Inuyasha refused to back down from her blatant challenge. He would not be shown up by some weak human. Baring his fangs menacingly, he glared right back at her. “Listen wench-”
“My name isn't wench. It's Kagome,” she responded coolly, her tone void of any caring emotion or warmth, “if you're not going to address me by my name, then don't bother addressing me at all.”
Inuyasha felt his temper rise. Here he was trying to apologize for what transpired the night before and all she wanted to do was bite his damn head off. Screw chivalry. “Don't talk to me in that tone!” he vented a bit harshly.
“I'm going to the gardens to get some fresh air,” Kagome mentioned jerking her gaze from the pissed hanyou to the other occupants of the room. He wasn't worth her attention. “I'll see you guys later.” And with that she exited the kitchen. Kagome inwardly grinned at the way she handled the situation. And her father said she couldn't conduct herself like a lady.
By some strange twist of fate, or rather with a head housekeeper managing the household as well as other employees, the entire place had become immaculate and in order once more. Gone was the aftermath of the party. No beer bottles or trash littered the floor. No stoned and intoxicated people were sprawled out in various rooms. It looked just like it had before Inuyasha's rowdy party.
With fairly risen spirits, Kagome walked through the foyer and out the large oak double doors. A cool breezed greeted her upon stepping foot out of the mansion. Emissions of warmth from the sun's rays caressed her cool cheeks. Birds were singing and flitting about overhead. Trees swayed to the rhythm of the gently wind. It was truly a beautiful day. And for the first time all in a while, a true smile formed on Kagome's face. Who couldn't resist the charm and appeal of such an aesthetic scenario?
“Wench!” Kagome's smile turned upside down at the roar of her spouse. Obviously he couldn't. But that was to be expected from such and ill-mannered and foul-mouthed individual. “And what do you want?” she inquired sordidly as he stormed out of the household, anger and annoyance distorting his features.
Inuyasha advanced toward her and before she could recoil from his touch, he seized her by the arms forcefully. “Stupid wench! Listen to so you can take my apology for what happened last night!”
“I don't have to listen to a damn thing you say jerk!” Kagome hissed, feeling her indifferent, cool façade fading away.
Inuyasha felt his patience wearing thin. He gripped her arms even tighter, eyes burning with ardent fury. “I'm your husband, therefore you're entitled to give me respect and listen to what I have to say!”
She chewed on her bottom lip when she felt his claws press against the skin on her forearm, but rebuffed the idea of admitting her pain and instead chose to glower at him in hatred. “I'm not entitled to give you anything, including respect! I don't respect vermin that sponge off of their parents and with their misshapen ideals!”
Inuyasha growled, his ears flattening atop his head. This woman was so damn infuriating. “Take the fucking apology!”
“Take your apology and go shove it up your arrogant ass!” she spat in contempt, but her bravado faltered when his claws sank into her flesh. A whimper escaped her lips as she felt warm trickles of blood stream down her arm.
The hanyou blinked in surprise and shock upon hearing her whine and glanced down to where he had a death grip on her arms. He had been so blinded by his fury and resentment that he had momentarily forgotten that he was dealing with a weak human and her equally weak resistance. Inuyasha immediately released her from his hold and stared in horror at the tips of his blood stained claws. But it wasn't the blood that made him feel the knife of guilt tear through his gut; it was her eyes, the eyes which were now full of confusion, pain, and fear.
Kagome began to take little steps away from him. He had hurt her. He had hurt her with his own two claws. Inuyasha was definitely an emotional and mental abuser, using his foul language and biting remarks and insults as daggers. But she hadn't known that he was prone to abuse the body as well. She gulped nervously. She had forgotten about his mixed blood and his tendency to get temperamental when riled up. Where was the monk when she needed him?
'She's afraid of me,' he thought remorsefully. He hadn't meant to harm her. Just make her see things his way. Inuyasha reached out to touch her. “Wait, Kagome-” He never got to finish because no sooner had her name left his tongue when a blue Mustang sped up past the iron gates and up the winding driveway.
Kagome took this distraction to spring away from his looming blood smeared claws and ran toward the fast approaching vehicle. She visibly relaxed when Kouga hopped out of the car. She was saved.
“Kagome, I just came to see how my woman was doing,” Kouga announced with a broad grin shutting the door and walking toward her only to frown when he saw the nervousness flickering in his girlfriend's alluring blue pools. “What's wrong Kagome?” Before she could respond, the scent of blood in the air wafted into his nostrils. His piercing cobalt eyes narrowed when he eyed the bloody claw marks on her forearms.
He growled softly, and ran a gently claw across her shallow wounds. “Who did this to you?” he questioned in a rough tone, trying to keep the underlying fury and worry from showing in his voice.
Kagome's eyes darted over to where Inuyasha was standing, who was uncharacteristically silent and staring at his claws in repulsion. “It's nothing Kouga. I...umm…just got a little cut up when I was walking through the rose garden,” she lied returning her gaze to the wolf youkai. Why was she covering up for him after all that he had done to her? Damn her endless compassion.
Kouga didn't fall for it. “These look like the imprints of claws Kagome.” He leaned in and sniffed at her upper limb, and suddenly roared dangerously when he detected the hanyou's scent mixed in with her blood. The wolf youkai whipped around to face his adversary. “Inuyasha! You stinking pile of dog shit! I'm going to fucking gut you for harming my Kagome!”
“No wait Kouga!” Kagome jumped in front of him before he could take off. “Stop! He didn't mean it. It was an accident.”
“Accident or not, no youkai, half or whole, has the right to inflict pain among their mate!” Kouga snarled in the direction of the hanyou, his eyes beginning to bleed red. “Especially my woman! Watch out Kagome. I'm going to teach this half breed a lesson that he will never forget.”
Before she could say a word, Kouga bypassed Kagome and sped off en route for her spouse. The wolf youkai was in front of his opponent in the blink of an eye. Inuyasha cursed, and narrowly dodged the wolf's flying fist as he sprung out of his reach. 'Damn, this bastard is fast,' the hanyou thought with bared fangs as he landed gracefully on the gravel of the driveway.
“Stop running away and fight me dog breath!” Kouga barked and sprinted with unnatural speed to where his opponent had landed. He leapt into the air, intent on splitting the hanyou's skull open with his fist. Sensing the youkai's aim beforehand, Inuyasha ducked and rolled out of the way just in time to escape a skull shattering blow to the ground. As dirt and dust flared up around the wolf, Inuyasha took this time to detect the exact position of the wolf.
Kouga, who was momentarily blinded by the rising dust and gravel, didn't see the foot Inuyasha launched at his stomach until it was too late. The hanyou grinned in satisfaction as the wolf was knocked to the ground with a grunt. “Stupid wolf. You're as dumb as you are ugly. You should know better than to challenge me.”
“You bastard,” Kouga grunted from his facedown spot on the driveway. Slowly, he picked himself up and shook of the dirt that clung to his clothes, then turned to glare at the cocky hanyou. “You will regret that.”
Kagome rolled her eyes, deciding to intervene before round two went under way. “Would you two stop this inane display of who has the biggest balls?” She glanced at the grinning hanyou and scowled. “Haven't you done enough already? Leave so that Kouga and I and talk in private.”
His grin slipped from his face, and was replaced with a smirk. “Keh. You're not the boss of me. This is my property as much as it is yours. So I can do whatever the hell I please and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.”
“Didn't I tell you not to talk to my woman like that dog shit!” Kouga growled, advancing upon Inuyasha once more, but stopped in his tracks when Kagome put a hand on his chest. “Don't provoke him anymore Kouga. He's not worth it.” Kagome began brushing bits of rubble and dust off of her ex boyfriend's clothes. “So you came all the way up here to start a fight with him?” she asked with a half smile in an attempt to change the subject.
The anger that had embedded itself in his soul began to lift. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips. “Actually, I came to see how my woman was fairing.” Kouga tucked a strand of loose hair carefully behind her ear affectionately. “Every time your presence graces me you seem to become more and more gorgeous.”
Kagome felt her face flush. It felt like such a long time since she had received a complimented, save Miroku, who made it a priority to flatter every pretty female in sight. “Umm, thanks Kouga.” He had showed more fondness to her in five seconds than her husband had shown in five days. 'I guess that's how the cookie crumbles,' she mused wistfully.
Inuyasha struggled to fight down the possessive jealousy that had risen seemingly from out of nowhere. Why the hell was he reacting this way? He shouldn't give a damn that she was openly flirting with her ex boyfriend. But the hanyou couldn't help but feel to some extent envy of the way Kouga was able to make his wife blush, clearly remembering how he used to do the same thing in another time. “I am standing right here morons!” Inuyasha snapped, unable of tolerating such displays of care and affection any further. “Why don't you get a fucking room!”
“Why don't you go somewhere else, dog breath,” Kouga suggested wryly, then shifted his gaze to his woman. Concern furrowed his brow. He swept a gentle claw across her wounds, which had long since stopped bleeding. “You need to get this checked out.”
“I will as soon as I go back in,” Kagome reassured smiling at him. A pang of hurt resounded within the chambers of the hanyou's heart. She hadn't smiled up at him like that in a long time. “If you're done here, you mangy wolf, then leave,” Inuyasha declared through gritted teeth.
Kouga stared icily at him. “I'm not leaving until I put my foot up your ass for harming Kagome.”
“I told you it was a fucking accident!”
“And I told you I was going to kill for that little slip up! What if you killed her?”
Inuyasha snorted and crossed his arms. “It would make me a free hanyou again, so I would be happy.” He mentally slapped himself for his stupidity. Open mouth. Insert foot. “Wait, I didn't mean-”
The honking of a horn diverted their attention to the incoming guests that had just arrived. Kagome squealed in delight as the limo pulled up into driveway alongside Kouga's Mustang. Her friends had finally arrived.
“Kagome!” Ayame squeaked hopping out of the vehicle first. “We're here! Direct me to…” she trailed off upon noticing the tension that was thick in the air. Something was definitely up. She glanced in Kouga's direction, her heart unexpectedly skipping a beat. Why was he here?
“Ooh, what did we miss,” Sango said stepping out behind the female wolf youkai. She inwardly cursed. It seems as though they had already missed the scuffle.
“What the hell are they doing here?” Inuyasha demanded, partially thankful for the distraction and partially angry they had interrupted his excuse.
“I asked them to come,” Kagome admitted staring at the hanyou in scorn. “Do you have a problem?
“Obviously I do or I wouldn't have commented on it!” he lashed out.
“Well I don't care what you want! They're my friends and they will be staying here for the rest of the summer and there's nothing you can do about it.”
Without disrupting the arguing couple, the two females and quietly walked past them and into their temporary home excitedly. They had a feeling they would be seeing much more quarrelling between the two.
Kouga cleared his throat in order to get their attention. A pair of golden and azure orbs jerked into his direction, more or less irritated that he had broken up their squabble. “I have decided that the mutt is incapable of protecting my Kagome and since I can't have you laying your filthy claws on her again, I have decided that I will be temporarily residing here as well.”
“This is not a fucking hotel!” Inuyasha barked angrily at the wolf youkai, who had already begun taking his suitcases out of his car.
Kouga smirked and locked his doors. “It is now mutt face. So get used to it." He gave his woman a sidelong glance. “Come on Kagome. You can show me to my room.” They left the hanyou outside with his colorful words and phrases.
“What the hell did I do to deserve this?” Inuyasha shouted at the heavens, and had a nagging suspicion that the gods were silently mocking him. His life had reached a new low as of now.
.
.
.
.
 
End. (of this chapter of course)
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
AN: I wonder what will become of the situation now that they are all under one roof? And what happened to the apology::shakes head: Poor Kagome. At least she's not alone anymore. Well now since I'm practically dead asleep at this stupid computer, I'm going to go to bed. :yawns: If I had a laptop, writing this stuff would be so much easier than sitting at this hard chair in the basement. I feel like a hermit.
Forgive me for mistakes. I'll edit this later. Just had to get this out of my system before I went to sleep.
Next chapter: Drama, drama, and more drama. And I wonder what big news the parentals have. Maybe something to do with. Nah, I'll just leave it here.
Review and let me know whatcha think. I adore reviews. They give me so much motivation. (hint, hint) -