InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am not making any money off this story.
 
Kikyo carefully ground the herbs into dust, trying not to get any specks on her skin or suit again. A small purple cloud rose above the glass when she poured it into its contents, the water turning black. Grimacing, she pinched her nose and downed the drink in one go. 500 years and that potion only got more disgusting with each swallow...
 
She leaned back and sat still, letting the conduction work its magic on her. Her skin smoothed and tightened, her stomach shrank and her inner organs turned healthy and pink.
 
Kikyo quickly put the herbs and the mortar and pestle away, spraying the room with Febreeze to hide the smell. She was not in the mood to make up a story for her co-workers.
 
She got out of her chair and went to stand by the window, her fingers touching the glass lightly, wondering how much longer he would be.
 
She shivered lightly, her newly firmed breasts and neck erupting in goose bumps. Soon she would be reunited with her lover. She had been waiting so long for him, soon she would be in his arms again. In a matter of a weeks, their 500 year separation would come to an end.
 
A small knock sounded at the door and her receptionist poked her head in, “Excuse me ma'am, your ten o'clock is here.”
 
“Send him in.” Kikyo ordered, eager for the day she would no longer need to do this.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------
 
The new alarm clock went off, and Kagome lunged for it before Inuyasha could go for it with his fists.
 
Inuyasha grunted and drew her back, “You're no fun mate.” he muttered, burying his head in her hair.
 
Kagome squirmed in his embrace, wishing she could linger but needed to get up. “If you
let me go now I might have time to bring up breakfast.” she said, trying to sound enticing.
 
Inuyasha nibbled along her ear, “What food could I want when I could have you for breakfast?” he murmured against her skin.
 
“You might not feel that way when my bladder bursts while your `feasting.'” Kagome shot back sweetly.
 
Inuyasha laughed and drew his arms back, “You win this time sweetheart.” he rolled onto his stomach, the sheet slipping to the middle of his back.
 
Kagome swallowed at his muscles rippling, feeling like she was going to sweat out of the long flannel pajamas she insisted on wearing. The snowsuit had still been packed away...
 
She forced herself to get up and grab her clothes. She had a lot more time today since she didn't have to get Souta up because of his appointment with Dr. Saito later, but she still wanted to leave some breakfast for her grandfather. He had been incredibly busy after Halloween so she had hardly seen him at all. Which she was actually a little grateful for, since things had become slightly awkward between them.
 
She dropped her clothes on the bathroom counter, refusing to change in her own room once Inuyasha had moved in. She slipped the flannel nightshirt over her head, a little guilty for being annoyed at her grandfather. She knew her mother needed the help and the extra attention a place like that could give her. But still, she was family. How could she ship her own mother off like she was some unwanted invalid?
 
She shook her head. She would brood over it later. She had breakfast to make and a hot demon-thing to feed.
 
Click
 
“I thought you were going back to sleep.” Kagome said aloud, starting to get used to the clicking noise whenever their minds melded.
 
You promised me breakfast. I wanted to make sure you remembered. Inuyasha lazily dragged his fingers down her arm.
 
Kagome pulled her jeans up, thinking about what he might like, “What do you like?” she asked, genuinely interested.
 
There has been something I've wanted to try. Inuyasha admitted. I heard someone talking about it once.
 
“Yes?” Kagome slipped into her shirt.
 
Maple syrup
 
“That's really only a topping. I can make something to go on it though, like pancakes, waffles, French Toast-“
 
I wanted it to top you mate. Inuyasha purred. I want to pour it over your neck, breasts, belly-
 
“OUT!” Kagome ordered, blushing madly.
 
“Is everything alright Kagome?” her grandfather knocked on the door.
 
“I'm fine, just yelling at a spider.” Kagome covered up quickly, slapping the counter for good measure.
 
“Very well. I'll see you downstairs for breakfast.” her grandfather told her, his tone allowing no arguments.
 
Kagome brushed her hair was and left the bathroom, apprehensive of joining her grandfather for breakfast. His voice hadn't sounded particularly cheerful, and she could hear pots and pans banging the kitchen as he tried to cook. He never cooked. The last time he had was when he was telling them about their father's death.
 
She hesitantly went downstairs, her grandfather's back to her as he struggled with something on the stove. Her nose wrinkled at the smell of something burning, and black smoke was rising up out of the pan her grandfather was violently poking at with a fork.
 
“Good morning Kagome.” he told her.
 
BEEP BEEP BEEP!
 
“Oops.” He muttered, “Testy little thing.”
 
“Good morning gramps,” Kagome said back as she sprinted to turn the fire alarm off.
 
“Do you need any help?” Kagome asked, eyeing the massacred loaf of bread and the bits of broken egg sitting sadly on the counter.
 
Her grandfather waved a hand towards the table, “Go sit Kagome, I can take care of this.” he said over the sizzle of whatever was in the pan.
 
Kagome sat tensely in the seat, ready to run for the fire extinguisher the minute she saw flames.
 
Her grandfather turned the heat off and quickly slapped the food onto a plate and grabbed the maple syrup off the counter.
 
“Here you go Kagome...Kagome are you ok? Your cheeks are awfully flushed.”
 
Kagome tore her gaze away from the syrup to smile at her grandfather, “Oh, I'm ok.” she assured him before looking at the...food?
 
A black, twisted piece of something laid on the plate, still smoking slightly. Her nose twitched, the smell of burnt charcoal wafted from the food. Her grandfather set it down in front of her after dousing it with some of the syrup.
 
Kagome stared at it, knowing all the syrup in the world couldn't help it.
 
“Thanks gramps.” she told him, trying to cut into it.
 
Her grandfather sat down with a sigh, and while he stared at the ground, Kagome took the opportunity to drown the meal with half the bottle, hoping it might soften it a bit.
 
“Kagome, I know you haven't warmed to the idea of your mother going to the hospital for her illness.” He began, his eyes tracing the tiles on the floor.
 
Kagome paused from trying to saw into her breakfast, “It's not that gramps, I just think she needs to have more time.”
 
“It's been eight months Kagome, how much more do you want to wait?” he asked impatiently.
 
Kagome stabbed at the black husk, “Four more months, just to make it a solid year.”
 
He rubbed his forehead, still staring at the floor, “Kagome.” he hesitated, as if he didn't want to say it. “Kagome, I've already signed the forms for her to enter the hospital. She leaves in two weeks.”
 
Kagome froze, her fork in midair.
 
“She needs the proper treatment Kagome, we can't give that to her.” he continued quickly, wanting to fill the silence. “They'll be able to watch her constantly, they have doctors and psychiatrists on hand all hours of the day, and single and group therapy.”
 
Kagome slowly got up, bringing her plate to the sink. She quietly placed it in the bottom, before grabbing a box of cereal out of the cabinet above her.
 
“She has more of a chance getting better there then she does here!” her grandfather said, frustrated she wasn't looking at him or saying a word.
 
She ignored him, knowing the second she opened her mouth she would break down.
 
She walked carefully back upstairs, needing to get away from her grandfather. She refused to let herself look at her mother's door so she walked straight past it and opened her bedroom door, Inuyasha still sprawled out on the bed.
 
Inuyasha lifted his head from it was buried in her pillow, smirking, “Did you bring the maple- what's wrong?” his brows furrowed as he stared at her twisted face.
 
Kagome shook her head, setting the box down on her desk, “Nothing, I'm fine.” she managed to get out.
 
Inuyasha sat up, his smirk now a scowl. “No you aren't. Who am I beating up?” he asked, cracking his knuckles.
 
Kagome didn't smile like he hoped. “No one. I'm fine.” she chanted like a mantra.
 
Inuyasha frowned and got up, gently placing his hands on her shoulders, “I'm your mate, you don't get to hide and act with me.” he told her, peering into her eyes.
 
Kagome stared at him for a moment before throwing herself at him.
 
Inuyasha grunted as his arms automatically went around her, holding her to his chest.
 
Kagome pressed her face into the crook of his neck, her fingers digging into his shoulders. “I'm fine.” she said into his skin. “I'm fine.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, hugging her closer. “Who are you trying to convince, me or you?”
 
Kagome held on to him tighter in response, breathing deeply, “Just give me a minute.” she begged.
 
“Mate, I'd give you more if you asked.” Inuyasha tangled his claws in her hair, stroking soothingly.
 
Kagome slowly breathed, trying to calm her racing heart. Two weeks. Two weeks, oh God.
 
"What time is it?" she muttered, not raising her head from his body.
 
"It doesn't matter." Inuyasha started swaying back and forth, deciding this wasn't a good time to tell her he wasn't sure how to read her clock.
 
"I have school soon." she protested, but there was no real heat in her tone.
 
"You have time." he assumed, walking back to the bed and dragging her with him. He sat down on the edge and arranged her sideways on his lap, worried when she sat against his chest meekly, face still hidden from him.
 
"So what-"
 
"Not now." Kagome stopped him, "I don't need to talk, I just need...this."
 
Inuyasha returned to caressing her hair silently, trying to comfort her as well as she would let him.
 
But they both knew he wouldn't let it go so easily again.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
 
Kagome stared at the board blankly, absently hoping her mouth wasn't hanging open but she was to scared to really care.
 
She didn't understand one thing that was written on it.
 
When did this happen? She wasn't great at math, but this looked like it had been written by aliens.
 
She didn't hit her head on the desk and groan like she really wanted to.
 
Click
 
Kagome closed her eyes and tensed up, almost afraid to find out where Inuyasha's teasing touch would be next.
 
What are you doing? he asked curiously, keeping his hands to himself.
 
Kagome ignored him, hoping he didn't think she would really talk aloud to him in front of people.
 
Inuyasha sighed, sounding amused. Mate, you can talk back mentally to me.
 
Like this? Kagome asked cautiously.
 
Just like that. Inuyasha responded, sounding pleased.
 
I'm in math class. She said back, trying to get used to this. But the problem is freaking impossible.
 
Hmmm. Oh this is easy sweetheart. They give you the value of side A and B and you know the angle C of the triangle. So you drop a perpendicular line from vertex A to line BC, which you label h.
 
Kagome followed his instructions doubtfully, not sure how a 620 year old demon would understand it before her.
 
Now you have a right triangle in ACD so the sin of C is equal to h/b. Therefore h = b sin C. Since the area of the triangle is half the base A times h, you can put it simply as; area equals ab sin C divided by two, and that's the formula. So now just plug in the numbers.
 
Kagome did as told and found it remarkably easy as she calculated the problem and…
 
And the answer is 2, Inuyasha said just as she pressed enter on her calculator.
 
The answer blinked up on her screen. How do you understand this?
 
Kagome had the sense he was shrugging, I'm smart like that
 
Could you explain the next one?
 
Feh. Even easier.
 
Kagome listened to him explain the answer to her, more amazed with every passing second she actually understood it. She had no idea Inuyasha was smart.
 
Feh! Still here sweetheart. And no, I'm not dumb. Now pay attention. He ordered, drawing her back to the problem.
 
So want to talk about what happened? He asked causally as she scribbled out the solution.
 
No.
 
...stubborn wench. You have to tell me sooner or later. He warned
 
I pick later.
 
Feh
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
 
Kagome hesitated outside the church, wondering if this was a good time. She had just kicked Inuyasha out of her mind, and from experience she had a good fifteen minutes to half an hour before he'd bother her again. She wasn't sure why that was, which made another good reason why she should check back with the monk-guy.
 
She sighed, her hand hovering over the handle. But could she really trust him anymore than Inuyasha?
 
Then again, a second opinion was always good, right?
 
But Inuyasha was expecting her and she still needed to find him some clothes...
 
The decision was taken out of her hands when the door was suddenly yanked open, the monk-guy standing on the other side of it, beaming. “I'm so glad you've come back! Come in, come in.” he reached forward and grabbed her arm, dragging her inside.
 
“How did you know I was there?” Kagome asked as she was pulled into the chapel.
 
“A bell chimes when someone is close to the church. Motion detectors and all that.” The monk-guy explained, looking around the empty church, “Come back this way, we can't let anyone hear.” he murmured, pulling her along. They went down the same hall as they had the other day, but instead of going into the warm and cheery office, he ushered her into a cold, dark room with only a desk, a chair, and a thick bible.
 
Miroku sat down on the desk, leaving the chair for Kagome, “We won't be bothered here.” he assured her, crossing his legs under him, looking at her expectantly.
 
Kagome stared back, unsure of what she wanted to say now that she was finally here.
 
Miroku sighed, “Names might be helpful.” he pointed out dryly. “I'm Miroku.”
 
“Kagome.” she shifted in her seat, feeling awkward.
 
Miroku smiled reassuringly and held his hand out to her, palm up. “Don't worry, I'm in the same boat as you.” he told her as she leaned forward to study his mark. As far as she could tell it was a bunch of red squiggles, but still kind of pretty.
 
“How long?” she asked, starting to relax.
 
He took his hand back and looked down, eyes studying the mark. “A few years at least.”
 
“Mines a demon, is yours one to?”
 
Miroku grinned, “Yeah, they're a lot of fun, right?” he shook his head, “But I doubt you wanted to talk about me and my mate. Here, there's something I wanted to give you...” he trailed off as he opened one of the desk's drawers and slid a thick, leather bound tome with strange symbols over the front across the top to her. “Consider it a demon mate handbook for humans.” he explained as she took the book.
 
“Was there anything you wanted to know specifically?”
 
Kagome settled back, “I talked to my…um, mate last night, and he told me a lot of different things but…” she paused, toying with the edge of a ribbon bookmark poking out from the pages of the book. “I'm not totally sure he's telling the truth about everything.” She admitted, squirming slightly. Why did this feel like a betrayal of Inuyasha?
 
Miroku nodded in understanding, “As you move closer and closer to the official bonding, you'll be able to sense each other's emotions. Once you're tied together for good, you can never hide anything from each other.” He explained. “As for possibly lying, he might be lying to protect you from something; I doubt it's about anything worrisome.”
 
Kagome traced the gold symbols on the book, thinking. “I think my mate's used that term before. How do I officially bond with him?”
 
“It refers to the first time a demon has sex with his mate while mind melded. The first time you are connected physically, mentally, and spiritually is when your life forces combine. It also shows the female is ready to be tied.”
 
Kagome looked up from the book, “How?”
 
“A true mate can push the other out of their minds. If the person isn't your mate or family, they can't force you out.”
 
Kagome frowned, remembering that nagging feeling when Inuyasha had explained mind melding. Was that what he had left out?
 
She glanced down at her palm, wondering if she should ask about the mark next.
 
“Did you have any clothes?” she blurted out instead, her cheeks flushing. “He didn't really come with any...”
 
Miroku nodded, “We have a few goodwill items I can give you.” he smirked suddenly.“A few hundred years locked away tends to rot their clothes.”
 
Kagome looked back at him, “Yours was locked away to?”
 
“Yes, but that is a tale for another day. You've already been here ten minutes, your own demon should be checking in soon.” He got up, “Let me get you those clothes.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
Kagome walked into her home, the brown bag with the clothes Miroku had given her swinging in her grasp, the demon mate handbook tucked safely away in her bag to look at later.
 
“Anyone home?” she called out.
 
“Just me sweetheart.” Inuyasha purred from where he sat at the kitchen table, elegantly slouched in a chair.
 
“Inuyasha!” she squealed, throwing the bag at him, “Don't hang around here naked, I eat there!”
 
His tongue flicked over a fang, ignoring the bag as he eyed her from head to toe, “I'd like to eat to mate.” he said, to innocently.
 
Kagome pursed her lips, shedding her coat and gloves as she walked towards the fridge.
 
“I'm not starting dinner yet, but I could make you a snack-“ she was interrupted by her gasp as she found herself flat on the table, Inuyasha yanking her shirt up and nuzzling her stomach with his nose.
 
“This will be more then enough thank you.” Inuyasha murmured against her skin, his hands creeping down, “I intend to sate my hunger right-“
 
“SIT!” Kagome ordered, face red. Inuyasha crashed into the kitchen floor and she jumped off the table, trying to put some distance between him and her hormones. Damn it, why was he always trying to rush her?
 
Kagome swallowed and smoothed her shirt down, praying Inuyasha was right and they had the house to themselves, not counting her mother since she refused to leave her room and would have no idea what was going on.
 
“Stop doing that. I'm not trusting you with my body yet!”
 
Inuyasha looked up and Kagome's heart tightened. He normally glared at her after she refused him but this time the look in his eyes looked so...dark. And a little mean.
 
Something seemed...wrong.
 
Almost as soon as she noticed it, the look was gone and playful frustration replaced it. “Damn it mate, stop doing that!”
 
She smiled uneasily, wondering if she had been too trusting.
 
“I have to start dinner soon, do you mind putting some clothes on before my family comes home?” she asked.
 
Inuyasha sighed, getting up and grabbing the bag. “If I have to.” he said glumly. He upended the bag on the table, going through the clothes sitting there. He picked up a pair of torn jeans. “Are these supposed to have holes in them?”he asked, examining the knees closely.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes as he poked a finger at the flannel shirt. Figured she would get stuck with a clothes snob. “The clothes are slightly used, but those jeans are designed to look like that.” she explained with patience.
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha pushed his arms into the sleeves and studied the buttons. “What are these?”
 
“Put your jeans on first...no the other way.” Kagome ordered, not trusting her hormones to behave while he was still half naked.
 
He stood there, the faded blue jeans clinging to him perfectly while the red plaid draped over him, highlighting his six-pack. He eyed the buttons, poking at one with his claw.
 
Kagome closed the fridge and walked over, “Here.” she brushed his hands aside and pushed the buttons through the holes, blushing when her fingers grazed his skin, feeling more intimate now with him then she on had laying flat on the table. “Like that.” she told him, straightening out his collar.
 
“My zipper isn't up yet mate.” Inuyasha sent an angelic expression down at her.
 
“You can manage to pull it up yourself.” she huffed, backing off. “Just be careful.”
 
She looked through the cabinets, needing something to busy her hands while Inuyasha played with his zipper.
 
She heard the wooden chair creak as Inuyasha settled back down in it, the hairs on the back of her neck raising as she felt him staring at her
 
“So what's wrong with your mother?” He asked, attempting to be casual about it, a small thump sounding out as he threw his foot onto the table. She felt his stare on the back of her neck, and knew he wasn't as indifferent as he pretended.
 
Kagome froze, “Did you go into her room?”
 
“I didn't have to. Humans don't know this, but emotions give off scents just like food does. That whole area stinks of despair and pain, but just barely under it is a scent similar to yours.”
 
Kagome slowly relaxed and put water on the stove to boil, needing to do something. She fiddled with the oven knob, wondering if she should tell him. “My father died about eight months ago.” she said carefully, forcing the words out through the knot in her throat. “There was an accident on his way home. Mama just hasn't been the same since.” She explained, her eyes firmly on the teapot's sprout.
 
There was a small rustling of cloth and Inuyasha was sitting on the counter next to the stove, peering down at her through his silver hair. “So what happened today?”
 
The whistle of the tea broke the silence between them. Kagome went to get the tea cups, only to see Inuyasha's body was blocking the cabinet they were held in.
 
“Mate?” Inuyasha asked again.
 
Kagome sighed, acknowledging defeat. “My mother is...” she paused, wondering how long it would take to explain depression to a 620 year old demon. “She's become very depressed from losing her husband.” she finally said, deciding to leave explanations about hormones and chemical imbalances in the brain out of the discussion for now. “She's become so depressed she can't function or take care of herself. My grandfather decided to send her to a special hospital that might be able to help her more then we can.”
 
Inuyasha cocked his head at her, “So am I killing your grandfather or all the people in this hospital?”
 
Kagome wacked his shoulder with a wooden spoon laying conveniently on the counter.
“You're not killing anyone!” she snapped. “It just...it just upset me when I first heard it, but really, it's for the best.” Kagome said, turning back to her tea.
 
Strong fingers clasped her chin and gently turned her head, Inuyasha's eyes studying her own intently. Finally he snorted, “You might be saying it's `for the best' but you're still pissed about it. Why don't you just say that?”
 
Kagome frowned and tried to yank her chin out of his grasp. “Because it is the best option for me, my mother, my grandfather and my brother. I'm fine.”
 
“You are not!” he barked. “I don't care how strong you think you're acting, you can't hide from me. You're fucking hurting.
 
Kagome scowled, “I'm fine.”
 
“Uh Kag...what are you doing?” Souta asked, their grandfather right behind him.
 
Kagome snapped back, and jumped ten feet away from Inuyasha. “Hey! This is my friend Inuyasha!” she said quickly, Inuyasha still sitting on the counter, glowering. “I had an eyelash in my eye, he was getting it out.”
 
“Uh-huh.” Souta said disbelievingly.
 
Her grandfather scrutinized Inuyasha, his wrinkles growing deeper as he scrunched up his eyes. “He looks like a hoodlum.” He decided loud enough for Kagome AND Inuyasha to hear.
 
Kagome leaned closer, “Gramps, this is actually for a program I'm doing for school. We take a well-screened homeless classmate home to help inspire them to do well in school. This is the only clothing he owns.” Kagome told him sadly, her eyes glinting in glee.
 
Souta's eyes went wide, “Wow sis, that's really nice of you.” he said admiringly. “You know, on All Hallowed Eve in England, the rich would give the poor people these bread and jam pastry called `soul cakes'. In return for the food, the poor people would pray for the dead souls of the rich family's ancestors.” Souta explained eagerly.
 
Her grandfather huffed, “If he looks at the silverware funny, he's outta here.” he warned.
 
“Can I show Inuyasha how to make soul cakes? Then he can pray for dad!” Souta said, both of them ignoring their grandfather.
 
Kagome nodded, hoping Souta would talk Inuyasha's ears off about Halloween and Samhein.
 
Inuyasha looked confused as Souta ran up and started pulling flour out and talking about Guy Fawkes Day in England.
 
Kagome allowed herself a small smirk. See? She was so fine.