InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 4 ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Disclaimer- I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this story.
 
Nov. 4
 
Inuyasha watched out Kagome's bedroom window as she left, yelling at Souta about being late for school. He had known she would be angry about his pinning her down and kissing the living daylight out of her, but he hadn't been able to resist the opportunity.
 
He left her room without bothering to put his clothes on. He hated the feeling of the `denim' against his legs, and the house was empty except for Kagome's depressed mother.
 
The kitchen tile was cool on his feet, but not as cold as the hard stones of his prison had been. He easily ignored it and went for the food Kagome had promised to put aside for him, eggs and sausage waiting under something called `clear-wrap'.
 
Chewing on his sausage, he dropped down into a kitchen chair and stared at the phone, wondering if it was to soon to call her. He was desperate to hear her voice again, but he didn't want her annoyed at him if he called before they were ready.
 
Christ, he missed her already and it had been barely any time at all.
 
Sighing, he forced himself not to dial the numbers he had fiercely craved into the surface of his brain, the measly six digits that would connect him instantly to her.
 
The sausage churned uncomfortably in his gut when the image of Kagome's face popped up. He shook her away, shoveling eggs into his mouth. She was only his mate. Nothing more.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
I don't get it Inuyasha whined for the thousandth time. What's with all the thee's and thou's?
 
Kagome sighed and prayed for patience, It's just how Shakespeare wrote. She explained, trying to watch the movie. Pay attention.
 
Feh. Shakespeare's an idiot. Inuyasha pouted while Lady Macbeth wailed about the blood on her hands. Why do you even come here?
 
It's school. I need to come to have a education so I can have a career and support myself. Kagome said again, giving up on the movie. She could look Macbeth up on Sparknotes at home.
 
Hey, I'll be the one supporting you mate. Inuyasha retorted, and she had the impression he was crossing his arms over his chest (and not just because she felt the pressure of his arms around her.)
 
With what? You've been locked away 500 years. Kagome rolled her eyes. Besides, it's the twenty first century, women don't stay at home anymore.
 
Well my woman does.
 
Kagome decided to wait to have this argument with him, knowing her inner feminist would want the chance to unleash her own claws on the stupid demon. Besides, she probably couldn't use the beads on him from this distance anyway.
 
She nearly hit herself in the head. That's what she had forgotten to ask Miroku about! She would have to stop by after school.
 
Inuyasha growled. Who the fuck is Miroku? And where do you think you're stopping after school?
 
Kagome silently cursed. Sorry, gotta go. She yelped, and pushed Inuyasha out with one solid shove.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
 
Miroku poured through his books, to intrigued by Kagome's marks to focus on much else. There were thousands of symbols in the pages, but none that matched hers even remotely.
 
He sighed and leaned back, glancing at the clock. He had to be getting back to church soon, but he had wanted to wait until his mate was home before he left for work.
The door slammed open and heavy boots stomped their way in across the hard wood floors.
 
Well speak of the devil...
 
A harsh hand grabbed his hair and yanked his head back for a brutal kiss, her lips, teeth and tongue trying to dominate him. She let him go abruptly as if the kiss had burnt her and collapsed in the chair across from him, still disgusted by how desperate she felt for him.
 
“Good afternoon Sango.” Miroku replied in return, his ill-tempered mate staring at the floor next to his feet.
 
She grunted and sprawled in her chair, her legs crossing back and forth.
 
Miroku frowned slightly, worried about her. Sango was normally very controlled and could sit perfectly still for hours. But for the last few days she had been so restless.
 
He didn't voice his concern though, knowing she would just bite his head off in response.
 
“Sango, would you do me a favor?” he began, getting up to perch on the arm of her chair.
 
She just barely opened her eyes to peer up at him, “You already know I feel compelled to kill anyone you wish.” she mumbled.
 
He rolled his eyes, “It's not that kind of a favor.” he said dryly and handed her the paper he had sketched Kagome's mark on. “Do you know what these marks mean? I've been researching but haven't had much luck.”
 
Sango's lips pulled back until she was practically baring her teeth. She snarled and crumbled the paper up, her free hand going for her hip. “Goddamn it!” she snarled, springing up and running for the door.
 
As she left, Miroku scowled and wished not for the first time he had kept the damn subjection beads for himself.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
 
Rip
 
Kagome's muscles loosed in relief once she pushed Inuyasha out again while walking up towards the church. Growling and threatening hadn't been the only way he had tried to trick her into telling him what she was planning.
 
Oh God, her skin was so hypersensitive after what he had done to her, one more touch would have made her black out.
 
She yanked her zipper down and let the cold air caress her for a moment, the chill sinking in and calming her down. She took another breath, and when she was sure she wouldn't start moaning should Miroku accidentally touch her, she went in.
 
The sunlight poured in through the stained glass window, sending colored light onto the wooden altar. The chapel smelled faintly like Pine-Sol, and shining as if it had recently been polished. The church was much different from the temple Kagome lived on.
 
“Kagome.” Miroku said in greeting, and Kagome turned her head to see him walking towards her with a dust rag thrown over his shoulder. “How did the clothes fit?”
 
“They fit perfectly on him.” Kagome said truthfully, leaving out that they made him look like a hot homeless bum. “I was wondering if you found out anymore about my mark?”
 
He shook his head, “Nothing yet. But I'll keep working on it.” he leaned against a pew, his arms tucked into his robe. “But that couldn't be the only thing you wanted to know. Did you have a question about the book?”
 
The book still in her bag felt like a ten pound weight. “I haven't had a chance to read it yet.” she said instead of telling him she had forgotten all about it. “What I wanted to know was more about that necklace you gave me.”
 
Miroku chuckled, “Ah, subjection beads.” he said fondly. “Consider them a…training tool for your mate. When you say the word, they go down.”
 
Kagome frowned, “Yeah about that, should I really be doing it? I mean, I'm grateful for the advantage.” She added hurriedly before he could think she wasn't glad to have the beads. “But the more I do it…” she paused, “I don't know, it just doesn't feel right.”
 
Miroku studied her silently. “Kagome-“ A door creaked open and Miroku grabbed her arm, leading her towards the exit. “We'll talk more in the courtyard.” He murmured.
 
He ushered them into a small, fenced in plot of land, a cross in a corner, and a bench facing it. The dry grass crunched under their feet and a large tree cast a shadow over most of the courtyard.
 
Kagome shivered and zipped her coat, not needing to cool off anymore.
 
“What has your mate told you about demons?” Miroku asked, half his face darkened.
 
Kagome tucked her hands into her pockets, annoyed by the growing hole on her glove. “They're stronger, faster and their senses are sharper then humans. They're almost immortal.”
 
Miroku nodded, “That's some of the physical aspects of them, yes. Do you know much about them mentally or emotionally?”
 
Kagome licked her chapped lips nervously, but was forced to shake her head no.
 
Miroku looked towards the cross, toying with the prayer beads wrapped around his hand, covering his mark. “You need to read the book Kagome. I'll be here to help you understand.”
 
“Am I in danger from him? Is my family safe?” she blurted out, Miroku's solemn words scaring her.
 
Miroku thought for a moment. “I can tell you for certain they are safe for now. You?” He shook his head. “I can't say. The first few days of your meeting determines everything.” His gaze turned inward, and Kagome had the sense he wasn't really looking at her anymore.
 
Kagome absorbed his words, making a mental note to read the book by tonight, even if she had to sit Inuyasha a million times and lock herself in her bathroom.
 
Kagome tilted her head at Miroku. “What are you anyway?' she asked suddenly.
 
Miroku shrugged, “I'll let you know when I figure that out.” He sighed.
 
Kagome looked down at her clock, wondering about Inuyasha. She had been here five more minutes then she should have and he hadn't bugged her yet…
 
Her thoughts trailed off when a hard hand slammed her throat against the hard wooden fence, pinning her down.
 
Angry red-brown eyes pierced through her, stabbing down into her soul. Absently, she heard Miroku shouting while the fingers tightened, her glare turning hateful.
 
You.” The woman hissed, her white fangs flashing.
 
Kagome clutched at her wrists, but was otherwise too dumb struck by shock and fear. She chocked, trying to breath. The claws on the woman's hands pricked her skin, sending warm blood trickling down her neck.
 
“Sango! Release her!” Miroku barked.
 
Sango scowled over her shoulder at him, “Shut up mate. You will not deny me this.”
 
“Sango.” He said warningly, his hands playing over the prayer beads twisting around his palm.
 
Almost as abruptly as Kagome had been attacked, the pressure around her neck was gone and the woman was hurling across the courtyard while Inuyasha stood in front of Kagome, claws out and fangs bared.
 
Instead of Sango hitting the wooden boards like Kagome assumed she would, she turned in midair and gracefully used the momentum to kick off the fence and flip into a crouch, her brown hair wild around her face.
 
Inuyasha tensed up, the muscles in his legs bunching up as he stared Sango down, “When the hell did you turn demon?”
 
Sango hissed at him in answer.
 
Kagome held her hands to her throat and coughed, gratefully sucking air down into her lungs. “Inuyasha.” She chocked.
 
Inuyasha glanced back over her, lips tight and his body tense. “You gonna die sweetheart?”
 
Kagome forced herself to breathe slowly, her vision becoming clear. “Not yet.”
 
“Then I won't waste my time torturing her to death. You'll be satisfied with just her throat at your feet, won't you?” Inuyasha growled, his voice becoming thicker in his rage.
 
“Bastard!” Sango cried, launching herself at him.
 
“Bitch.” Inuyasha snapped back in return, his figure barely a blur as he met Sango in the middle of the courtyard.
 
“ENOUGH!” Miroku hollered, before yelling another word Kagome had never heard of and throwing a slip of paper at the two demons.
 
The paper hovered in the air over the snarling fighters and immediately, Inuyasha and Sango stopped in mid-attack, only their mouths moving as they snapped at the other.
 
Kagome closed her eyes, noticing for the first time since Inuyasha had appeared out of nowhere that he was wearing her favorite pink summer dress with the flannel shirt over it. His muscular, but hairy legs poked out from the bottom and a large rip in the dress flapped in the cold air.
 
“Kagome, please forgive me.” Miroku begged as he helped her up and placed her arm over his shoulder, supporting her to the bench. “I had no idea she would attack like that.”
 
Inuyasha paused from gnashing his teeth at Sango to go nearly red with rage from the way he was holding Kagome. “Fucker, hands OFF now and I might let you keep them when you're dead.”
 
Sango hissed at Miroku. “Why are you touching her?”
 
Miroku rolled his eyes skyward and mumbled a quick prayer for patience as he settled Kagome down on the bench. “Do you need water Kagome?”
 
Kagome cleared her throat, still trying to rub the ache away. “Later.” She croaked. She eyed the dress on Inuyasha with some remorse. He had gotten blood on it.
 
Miroku looked at his mate, fists on his hips like a reproaching mother. “Sango! What were you thinking?”
 
Sango twisted her lips, “That I wanted to kill her?”
 
Inuyasha snarled, muscles bunching and tensing with the effort to move them despite Miroku's spell. “Bitch.”
 
“Oh, like you're one to talk.” Sango retorted, fangs flashing, “Traitor.”
 
Inuyasha's eye's went red as he growled in his rage.
 
Kagome gasped. And Miroku thought her family was safe around him?
 
Inuyasha quieted when he looked over and saw Kagome's pale face. His snarls turned into whimpering. “Mate.”
 
Sango snorted, “Pathetic.” She sneered, “How can you call yourself a man and let yourself be ordered around by her?”
 
Immediately Inuyasha showed his teeth again, “You know nothing.”
 
Miroku closed his eyes, breathing deeply. “Can someone please explain why you're both here and trying to kill one another?”
 
“I would have been happy just with her death, but I'll make an expectation for Inuyasha.” Sango quickly assured Miroku.
 
“Why?” Kagome finally asked, her voice hoarse.
 
Sango sent a dark glare at her palm, “You carry her mark.” She spat out while Inuyasha froze. “That bitch Midoriko.”
 
Kagome's heart stopped, “The woman who imprisoned Inuyasha?”
 
“And me because of his stupidity. Bastard.”
 
“You don't know what the hell you're talking about-“
 
“What do you mean, her mark?” Kagome interrupted Inuyasha, uncaring of the burning in her throat.
 
Sango's lip curled, “You fool. You're of Midoriko's line.”
 
Miroku picked up Kagome's palm and stared at it, studying it. “Is that why I haven't been able to find any mention of these markings? They're from Midoriko?”
 
“Just the flame mate.” Sango's voice softened a degree. “The moon is from him. Now drop the bitch's wrist before I remove it for you.”
 
“Come even close to touching Kagome and I'll rip your head off.” Inuyasha responded, managing to twitch his arm.
 
“But I don't understand…what is a mark? And why did it form?” Kagome asked Miroku, ignoring their snarling mates for now.
 
He sighed. “This is why you're supposed to read the book.” He chided gently, turning her chin up slightly. “Your throat is starting to bruise.”
 
“You'll pay for that Sango.” Inuyasha promised.
 
Sango's lips turned up in a mockery of a silence. “Your price will be much greater then mine.”
 
Miroku rubbed his forehead, “No one is going to kill anyone. Right Sango?”
 
Sango remained stubbornly silent.
 
“Please don't make me Sango.” Miroku asked.
 
“Fuck off mate.”
 
Miroku regretfully pressed his prayer beads to his lips. “Forgive me.” He murmured while he whispered a spell.
 
Sango's eyes widened, as if she had thought he really would go through with it, before disappearing completely, her scream lingering in the cold air.
 
Miroku smiled sadly, “Do you see why subjection necklaces are better now?” he said to himself.
 
“Let me fucking go asshole.” Inuyasha gritted between his teeth.
 
Miroku handed her bag to Kagome. `Read it.' He mouthed before stepped back so nothing blocked Inuyasha from her.
 
She nodded and Miroku made a cutting motion with his hand. The paper sliced into pieces, setting Inuyasha free.
 
Before Kagome had time to cough, Inuyasha had scooped her into his arms and ran off, leaving Miroku in the courtyard looking down at his prayer beads.
 
Click
 
You are fucking lucky if you EVER leave the house again mate. Inuyasha snarled, his arms protectively tight as he jumped faster then human eyes could follow.
 
Kagome closed her eyes and burrowed her head in his shoulder, shivering.
 
And you are not going back to the church, you are not seeing that man ever again and you will never leave my eye sight from this moment on
 
Kagome ignored him for the moment, letting him rant as he trembled. Regardless of what he was, what he said, or what he didn't say, Inuyasha obviously instinctively cared about her. For now, that was enough.
 
Especially since that instinct had saved her from being strangled.
 
Kagome felt Inuyasha jump straight up and heard the slight thump as he landed on her carpet.
 
He carefully placed her on her bed, laying her down flat so he could have access to her neck. He whined, his eyes turning a light shade of pink. Half of him was screaming to go back and destroy Sango, while the remaining part wanted to take care of Kagome.
 
Kagome struggled to swallow, “Sou-“
 
“In your head!” he barked, decision made when he felt the burning in her throat as she tried to speak. He curled onto his side next to her, and wrapping an arm over her stomach he tugged her neck closer to his mouth.
 
Kagome's eyes drifted shut as he began lapping at her neck, growling soothingly. Is Souta or Gramps home?
 
Inuyasha shook his head, spilling his silver hair over her. Your grandfather had a house call, and Souta said something about…pizza?
 
Kagome tilted her head to the side, her skin tingling from where Inuyasha's tongue stroked over it. How did you find me?
 
Scent mate. He leaned up to brush his nose against her own. It was all over that place. He accused.
 
His growling increased when he reached her blood, and he took his time over the little red lines, purring loudly.
 
You're acting like a vampire Kagome noted, though not really minding since his touch felt so good on her abused neck.
Inuyasha sighed in bliss, More like a demon. Do you know how fucking sexy it is to share the force that keeps you alive?
 
Kagome grimaced. Uhhh, no. Besides, I'm injured, be Super Stud later
 
Inuyasha chuckled, “Humans are so...precious.”
 
Kagome laughed back. Did you really sayprecious? She asked, tension melting away as her hands found his ears and rubbed them fondly.
 
Inuyasha moaned. Stop sweetheart, I'm supposed to be taking care of you. He argued even as he pushed his head harder into her hands, silently begging for more.
 
Kagome smirked, something she probably picked up from him. Inuyasha? She murmured, drawing tight circles on his ear. Could you get me some water?
 
Inuyasha jerked up right away. “Stay here.” he ordered, practically running out the door.
 
Kagome frowned as he got a piece of her dress caught in the doorknob, but kept walking so it ripped. Again. She sighed. Well, at least he was wearing something.
 
I heard that mate.
 
Kagome shoved her bag under her bed, trying not to think about the action overly much. I really need to start dinner soon Inuyasha
 
She got up, intending to change into a turtleneck so her family wouldn't see the bruising.
 
Look at your neck first sweetheart. Inuyasha interrupted her as she started searching through drawers. And then get back in bed, you shouldn't be up yet.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, but humoring him, looking into the mirror hanging over her desk.
 
She gasped, the bruising from where Inuyasha had licked her, gone.
 
Demons contain a healing agent in our saliva sweetheart. Inuyasha said smugly. Go rest now, and I'll heal the rest
 
“You're not in bed.” Inuyasha snapped when he came through the door second later, carrying in a tray with over twenty glasses of water on it. He lifted his chin defensively when she froze, staring at the waters. “I wasn't sure.” he muttered.
 
One of almost every kind of cup her family owned held water, some had lemons, some had limes, some had ice, some were steaming hot and others had a faint sheen of condensation from the cold. Kagome's heart tightened.
Silently, she crossed the room to sit back down on her bed, Inuyasha following her with the tray. He easily yanked her night table further down so he could set the glasses down where it was easiest for her to reach.
 
She carefully selected a tall, tinted blue glass with ice and lemons floating in the water, Inuyasha staring unwaveringly at her.
 
She tilted her head back and drank, aware of his eyes on her.
 
“Feel better sweetheart?” he asked after she had finished the glass in three gulps.
 
She nodded, “Much, thanks.” she found it was easier to talk, but reached for another glass anyway.
 
“Let me finish your throat.” he stopped her from grabbing her third glass, gently pushing her onto her back. He swept her hair away from her neck and curled around her body, tongue gentle as he healed her.
 
Kagome closed her eyes, letting his touch wash over her. Despite Inuyasha's stubbornness, possessiveness, Super Studness, and possible evil incarnate status, he was a man Kagome could easily fall in love with.
 
But would she feel the same way after reading this book?
 
-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8- 8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8
 
Kagome's eyes snapped open, her bladder's needs jerking her out of a sound sleep. After Inuyasha had finished her throat, she taught him how to make stir-fry, the difference between modern mens and woman's clothes, convinced him to let her leave his sight for a few minutes to bring her mother her tea, and drank every single glass of water he had brought her. She was surprised her bladder was making itself known at...she struggled to turn in Inuyasha's tight grasp to see her new alarm clock, safely on the other side of the room...11:45.
 
She glanced down at Inuyasha, the moonlight playing over his sleeping face beautifully. She tried to creep out from under his arms, her bladder screaming.
 
He cracked one eye open lazily, “Where you going sweetheart?” he mumbled.
 
“Bathroom. Now.” she said desperately, squirming.
 
Inuyasha sighed but released her, turning onto his back while she scrambled off the bed. “Hurry back.” he said sleepily, arm already spread out in anticipation of her return.
 
Very quietly, she slid her bag out from under the bed and crept out of the room, the weight of the book feeling heavy. She slid into the bathroom and placed an ofadu on the door, praying Inuyasha wouldn't wake her family by trying to break down the door.
 
She quickly took care of her business and sat against the bathroom counter, her feet crossed under her. She settled the thick book on top of her knees, the gold lettering bright under the harsh bathroom lights.
 
Kagome quickly took a breath, and forced herself to turn to the first page.