InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What A Girl Needs ❯ What A Girl Gets ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Originally posted April 24, 2005. Minor typos fixed September 10, 2005.
 
Disclaimer: Rumiko Takahashi owns everything and I humbly bow to her genius.
 
 
What a Girl Needs
 
by Souta's Sister
 
Chapter 4 -- What a Girl Gets
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
 
Kagome came through the well around mid-morning the next day wearing some stretch jeans and a casual blouse, bringing Sango a tote bag full of supplies and carrying a few other things for Shippou. Sango and Shippou greeted her as she climbed out.
 
Before Kagome left to go back to her time the day before, she and Sango had agreed to meet at the well this morning so that Kagome could deliver the promised items, so she wasn't surprised to see the two there waiting for her.
 
Kagome had anticipated Shippou's presence and after a quick hug, she sent him off with some candy and a new coloring book and neon crayons. Sango had already told him that Kagome and she wanted to have a `girl talk', so he went back to Kaede's easily enough, and Kagome and Sango sat down by the well to chat for a few minutes.
 
“What did you do to get rid of Inuyasha and Miroku-sama?” Kagome asked after Shippou was out of hearing range.
 
Sango laughed nervously, not wanting to tell Kagome that Miroku had heard their original conversation and was more than willing to do anything she asked if it aided the `cause'. Without telling him why, she had asked him to make sure Inuyasha stayed away from the well all morning. Miroku had been eager to please, understanding that it was quite probable that the `birth control' items would be delivered that morning, and going so far as to offer his `services' to her any time she had a `need'. His suggestive tone and leering expression earned him a slap even before Sango had felt his hand on her rear. Even after the slap, his cheerfulness could not be contained, and he laughed and winked at her as he ran to do her bidding and remove a certain hanyou from the area.
 
She sighed… Except for Inuyasha's little fit before lunch, yesterday had been so peaceful and Miroku had been so well behaved. She should have known it couldn't last. Miroku was incapable of keeping his hands to himself for more than twenty-four hours, and even then, she was amazed he'd controlled himself for that long.
 
But Sango didn't want to explain any of that to Kagome, so she tried to contain her blush and laughed lightly as she said, “I haven't seen Inuyasha all morning, but I think the houshi mentioned that he needed Inuyasha's help with something in the next village. I'm sure neither one of them are near here.” It wasn't a total lie she told herself guiltily.
 
Kagome sighed, not sure if she was happy or not about Inuyasha's absence, but knowing it was better that he didn't hear what she wanted to talk to Sango about. She noticed Sango's nervousness but decided it was because Sango was embarrassed about getting a delivery of birth control items.
 
“Well, that's good, I guess. We couldn't talk freely if they were here. Anyway, I need to explain how these work,” she said, pulling some items from the tote bag, thinking she may as well get this part out of the way.
 
“This little packet,” Kagome held up the small, pink plastic case that the birth control pills came in, “contains small pills that you need to swallow with water. Don't chew them. You need to take one every day at the same time, like maybe when you wake up each morning. You can't start taking them until you start your next menstrual cycle and you have to take them for four weeks before they become effective and prevent conception. And you have to take them in the exact order that they are lined up in their case. If you ever want to have a baby, you just stop taking them and after a couple of months, your body will be ready to conceive again. I brought you a six month supply,” she finished, while opening one of the slim cases and showing Sango the pills in their individual plastic bubbles.
 
“How does it work? It won't make me sick or make me…I don't know. What does it do?” Sango asked.
 
“Well, as far as I understand, it forces your body to have a regular menstrual cycle by giving you hormones, that's natural substances that your body produces, that regulate how your body functions. It makes you have a period so that an egg will not stay in your womb…I think. I'm not an expert, but my friends take these and they are fine. Women have been using this type of birth control for decades in my time and it's safe. It is true that some women can't take them, but that's because they already have health problems and I don't think you have to worry about that.” She smiled reassuringly at Sango before continuing.
 
“And, as far as, making you sick…well, I have heard my friends complain sometimes about gaining a little weight and they blamed it on their birth control pills, and one of my friends said that she got `morning sickness' and felt a little nauseous each morning until she got used to taking the pills. When I first started taking the treatment I use, I felt those things too, but I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me, or at least I don't notice anything like that if it does happen. You and I are so active, that I don't think we will gain weight anyway. Plus, the girls I know that take the pill say that they have less cramps while on their period, so I guess that's a good thing.” Kagome trailed off, watching Sango's pensive expression.
 
Sango was quiet, studying the small plastic case in her hands. After a moment she asked, “And I won't get pregnant if I take one of these every day? You're sure?”
 
Kagome took one of the cases and pulled out the little slip of paper that had instructions and warnings on it. She scanned the page and finally said, “ It says here that this is 98.7 percent effective in preventing pregnancy. That means that only about one or two women out of 100 got pregnant while taking these pills. If you take them like I said, one every day, and don't skip any days, then I think it will absolutely work.”
 
Kagome paused for a moment and then pulled out the box of condoms and some spermicidal lube from the bag and blushingly showed them to Sango.
 
“These also prevent pregnancy if you don't want to use the pills. You have to use these together and you have to use them each time you…ah…do it. The stuff in that tube is called `lubricant' and it makes…things…slide together more easily.” Kagome knew she was beet-red now but bravely continued on. “It also kills sperm so that your egg can't be fertilized.”
 
Sango was looking confused and blushing just as much as Kagome by now.
 
“Don't worry; I brought you a book that explains all that and there is more information in the instructions in the package.” Kagome set aside the lubricant.
 
“These are called `condoms' and the man puts it on…his…member…just before he…ah…enters a female and it…well…it catches his…sperm and it keeps it away from a female's egg. It's like a barrier, I guess. He has to use it every time he…they…ah…and it's best to use the lube with it in case the condom breaks…which happened to one of my friends when her boyfriend got too…enthusiastic when he was… And anyway, she said she was glad that they were using both.”
 
Kagome was bright red but determined to help Sango understand what each item was and how it was used. “There are pictures on the instruction paper that show how the condom should be put on the man,” she finished, trying to sound matter-of-fact about it, while Sango eyed one of the small foil packets in her hand. Kagome was concerned about her silence and her obvious nervousness.
 
After a moment, Kagome tried to quietly comfort her friend.
 
“Sango-chan, if you don't want to do this or want to wait before you take this step in your relationship with Miroku-sama, it's okay. He doesn't know you plan on doing this anyway, so it won't matter to him.”
 
She watched as Sango dropped her eyes and her blush deepened even more.
 
Sango had no intention of admitting to Kagome that the houshi did indeed know…about everything. Finally, she spoke.
 
“I want to do this,” Sango quietly stated. “I'm just…scared. I don't know anything about doing…that…and I'm kind of overwhelmed right now.”
 
Kagome smiled at her and said, “Well, I can help you there.” She pulled out the small book she had bought for Sango and handed it to her.
 
Sango's eyes widened and she gasped as she read the title.
 
“The Pocket Guide to Great Sex?!” she exclaimed and covered her slack mouth with one hand. The cover photograph showed a nude man and woman sharing a passionate kiss. No private `parts' were visible on the man or woman, but to Sango, it was still a shockingly intimate image.
 
“They make books to tell people how to do that?” Sango's voice was high and alarmed. Her hand slightly shook as she removed it from her mouth and opened the small hardcover volume.
 
Kagome couldn't help but laugh when her friend squeaked loudly and dropped the book. It contained photographs along with detailed illustrations and explanations about human bodies, both male and female, particularly the genital region of their bodies. It then described how to give and receive the most pleasure with a partner, with photographs and instructions for various positions and techniques.
 
She herself had been embarrassed to buy it in front of Souta yesterday, but he'd just laughed at her and said, “How else are they going to learn? Do you want to explain it to them?”
 
She had laughed too and vehemently asserted that she would never dream of having `the talk' with Miroku (she couldn't even go there in her mind) and telling Sango what to do would be like the blind leading the blind.
 
Even though Kagome had had the basic health classes at school and was exposed to more information about sex in her time, she still had very limited knowledge about the subject beyond `what goes where' during the act itself and her vague fantasies about her and Inuyasha.
 
So she had bought the book and wondered how much her little brother knew about the subject and how he had learned it. He had just laughed and blushed at her speculative glance, keeping his mouth shut about it after that.
 
As Kagome sat lost in her thoughts, Sango picked the book up again, her hands shaking as she turned the pages.
 
“You can do that with your mouth?!” Sango exclaimed, not believing what she was seeing in the small book. That chapter was called `Foreplay'.
 
Sango's shocked voice brought Kagome out of her musing and she blushed too, glancing at the photograph. It was explicit but for some reason, none of the photos struck her as being lewd or pornographic. She giggled nervously and didn't offer a response.
 
“Kagome-chan…this is very…embarrassing. I don't think I can do these things. I'm sorry that you have spent money on these things for me…but I…” Sango hung her head, near tears.
 
Kagome was immediately sober. She leaned over and gave the girl a hug and whispered, “Sango-chan…you don't have to do anything that you don't want to do. It is your decision completely. I'm embarrassed too to think about doing that. That's why I want to find someone I can trust completely before I do it. Someone who will be patient and gentle with me and make me feel special. If you don't feel comfortable about it, then don't do it. No one will force you and I totally understand your feelings.” She pulled back to a sitting position and smiled at Sango to put her at ease.
 
Sango seemed to relax a little and gave Kagome a small smile too. “Thank you. I'm glad you are my friend,” she quietly stated.
 
Kagome dropped her eyes, a little choked up at Sango's words, and decided to change the subject.
 
“Well, let me tell you about something else before I go back through the well,” she brightly said as she put the contraceptives and the book back in the tote bag and pulled out her photo album.
 
“You remember the boy I told you about named Houjou?” Kagome asked and Sango sat up straighter and nodded `yes', forcing herself to focus on the younger girl and not dwell on what was in that book and rather glad to not talk about it any more.
 
“Well, I saw him yesterday and he asked me to go to a party with him tonight. Let me show you his picture.”
 
Sango looked at the photographs of the smiling boy and sucked in an appreciative breath.
 
“Kagome-chan, he's very handsome. He is still interested in you after all this time? That seems like a long time to just be infatuated. I remember when you told me about your `date' with him over three years ago. He must like you very much….”
 
Sango eyed her friend, noticing her beauty, how her modest clothing flattered her shapely body, and knowing her to be kind and thoughtful despite her volatile temper. She didn't wonder why a boy would continue to pursue the girl even in the face of gentle rejection. Kouga did, and there had been others who wanted her too. And then, of course, there was Inuyasha. All of them had long-term interest in Kagome, Sango thought without jealousy. She wanted Kagome to find happiness and love, and she wished Inuyasha could be the one to give it to her, but if not him, then…
 
“I don't know, Sango-chan… Well…he is very sweet, if a little dense, and he reminds me of Kouga-kun sometimes. Houjou-kun is always so confident. He always asks me to go on a date with him every time I see him, no matter how many times I've told him `no' in the past. And Souta said that he came by the shrine regularly to ask about me while I was over here and missed so much school. But…I don't get those feelings around him like I do when I'm near Inuyasha. I think Houjou-kun looks very good and all, but I don't feel attracted to him like that.”
 
Kagome fidgeted with the hem of her shirt and kept her eyes down as Sango studied her for a moment. Sango looked back at the photos of the boy and for some reason knew that this handsome boy would be kind and patient with Kagome if she ever gave him a chance.
 
“Maybe…maybe, you shouldn't think of him like that right now, Kagome-chan. Maybe you should just get to know him as a friend and let your relationship develop over time.”
 
Kagome met Sango's gaze and relaxed a little. “You're right. I'm putting too much pressure on myself. And I've never given him a chance really. I've never spent more than an hour alone with him and I was fifteen then. We're both a little more mature now, so maybe…”
 
Her voice trailed off and she looked down at her nervous hands where she toyed with the edge of her shirt again for a minute, thinking. She then took a deep breath, relaxing her neck muscles, and gave Sango a bright smile as she spoke again.
 
“And who knows? If I let him take me to the party tonight, maybe I'll meet someone there who really attracts me and I won't have to worry about it anymore,” she giggled.
 
“That's right,” Sango smiled back. “If you don't go out and meet people, how will you find someone you can love? But…don't rush into anything, Kagome-chan. I don't want someone else to hurt you like Inuyasha has.”
 
Kagome smiled at Sango again, but it didn't reach her eyes. “Don't worry, Sango-chan. No one could ever hurt me like Inuyasha has.”

Sango hugged her and said, “It will all work out, Kagome-chan. Just wait and see.” She patted the girl's back and prayed that the gods would send someone to help Kagome find happiness…or to knock the crap out of Inuyasha so he'd fix this before it was too late.
 
After a moment, Kagome pulled back and wiped at her suspiciously wet eyes before giving Sango a genuine smile again.
 
“Well, I need to be going back now. I've stayed longer than I thought I would and I don't want Inuyasha or Miroku-sama to catch us here.”
 
She started to pick up the bag with the birth control items in it, but Sango stopped her, tugging at the bag and blushing slightly.
 
“Wait, Kagome-chan. I…I want to keep these `birth control' things and think about this. You said I can't take the birth control pills until my period and that's a week away. I don't have to decide today, do I?”
 
Kagome could see the indecision and apprehension in Sango's eyes and sought to soothe her as best she could.
 
“No, Sango-chan,” she replied softly, “You can take all the time you need to think about this. It's your decision and no one else's. You can wait until you are more comfortable with it or you can decide not to do it at all. It's up to you and I'll respect your decision, no matter what you want to do or not do.”
 
Kagome released her hold on the bag and patted Sango's hand where she gripped it. “You keep the bag, too” Kagome told the other girl softly.
 
Sango smiled gratefully, and they laughed lightly as Kagome picked up her photo album and stood. Sango stood too and hugged Kagome good-bye.
 
Kagome stopped before she jumped in the well and turned back to Sango.
 
“You know, if I go to this party tonight, I may not feel like coming back here first thing in the morning. Plus, my mother and grandfather have been away and will return late tonight or in the morning, so I think I might spend the day with them tomorrow. I haven't seen them in a while. Can you tell the others that I'll be back the day after tomorrow, please?” she asked Sango. “I promise I'll come back early in the morning,” she continued, knowing Inuyasha would be angry but she wanted to see her family.
 
“Of course, take your time and enjoy your family while you can, Kagome-chan,” Sango replied with a sad smile. She'd never deny Kagome time with her loved ones. Sango knew that fate could take them away quite suddenly.
 
“Thank you, Sango-chan. I'll see you in a couple of days then.” She smiled briefly at Sango and then jumped in the well.
 
Sango sighed and glanced down at the bag in her hands, a pensive expression on her face. She was about to head back to Kaede's hut when she noticed something on the ground near the well. She picked it up and stared into Houjou's handsome, smiling face. The photograph must have fallen out of Kagome's picture book. Sango kept it and started back toward the village. She'd return it to Kagome when she came back.
 
She idly wondered where Inuyasha and Miroku were, but then tensed for a moment, thinking she felt eyes upon her back. She glanced around and couldn't see anything out of place. She soon decided it was her imagination and continued toward the village.
 
High above her, Sesshoumaru watched her leave. He was not happy. The situation could quickly get out of hand. He did not want the miko to associate with any human boys from her time. It would ruin his plans for her. He needed to take action immediately. He left the area, thinking about his next move and wondering about the strange book that apparently gave instructions concerning how humans should mate.
 
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo ~ End Chapter 4 ~ oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Thank you for reading my story and, please remember that your feedback is always welcome.
 
 
Author's Notes: First and foremost, I again thank everyone who reviewed my story and sent me emails of encouragement. All your comments are greatly appreciated. A couple of you even sent me into paranoid-rewrite mode. ^_^ I do pay attention to your opinions and I'm glad you have taken the time to share your thoughts with me. Please continue to let me know what you think.
 
To answer a couple of questions, I'll tell you that, yes, the Miroku/Sango lemon will occur first and so will the Miroku/Sango limes. Inuyasha and Kagome still have some communication problems to work out, but they will have their fun too eventually. Also, this story will by less than 20 chapters, probably closer to 15 total.
 
About this chapter and the last…I know some of you may find them kind of boring with their details and lack of action because I noticed that the number of reviews dropped off dramatically, but this story is about relationships as much as it is about the couples finally `connecting' physically.
 
Each couples' relationship will build and transition to a more intimate level before either girl will feel comfortable screaming, “Ooooh, baby, let me ride you like a pony!” to their chosen partner. (Excuse me while I remove a distracting image -- Miroku with a cross-eyed, I've-reached-nirvana smile while Sango hovers over him brandishing a riding crop -- from my head) :D
 
Anyway, I feel strongly that both Kagome and Sango are basically modest girls and, although they will certainly be passionate when the time comes, I don't see either one of them being sexually aggressive right off the bat. This is a big decision for both of them, and this `girl talk' scene was my attempt to show their bond and their mutual support for each other in the step they are about to take. (Okay, so this is a chick-fic. What can I say?)
 
Plus, I had to give Sesshoumaru the opportunity to hear some things he didn't like so that in the next chapter he can drop a bomb on Inuyasha. ^_~
 
I'll update in a week or less. I'm currently in compulsive rewrite mode concerning the next chapter. Again, thank you for reading this and please review.