InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What A Girl Needs ❯ What A Youkai Reveals ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Originally posted April 27, 2005. Minor typos fixed September 10, 2005.
 
Disclaimer: Rumiko Takahashi owns everything and I humbly bow to her genius.
 
 
What a Girl Needs
 
by Souta's Sister
 
Chapter 5 -- What a Youkai Reveals
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
 
Sango entered the hut to find Kaede and Shippou starting to make lunch. She explained that Kagome would return in a couple of days. Shippou was disappointed but cheered quickly when Sango told him that Kagome would surely bring him more treats.
 
Before Sango could tell Kaede anything else, Inuyasha burst in followed by a suddenly nervous Miroku. Kirara was with them too.
 
Inuyasha looked around rather confusedly. He stopped suddenly and then stepped closer to Sango, sniffing the air, eying the tote bag Sango still had in her hand.
 
Miroku surveyed the bag too as he silently passed by Sango and handed Kaede a leather pouch full of herbs that he'd picked up for her in the next village. Kaede quietly thanked him as they both turned their attention back to the tense hanyou.
 
“She isn't here, Inuyasha,” Sango explained, knowing he could smell Kagome's scent.
 
“I know that, wench,” he irritably replied. He knew she had come through the well. He wanted to ask why she didn't stay, but kept his mouth shut.
 
Sango knew he was curious but too stubborn to voice his questions, so she told him, “She wants to spend time with her family. She won't come back for a couple of days.”
 
Inuyasha shrugged, pretending to be indifferent, so for good measure, Sango decided to give him something to think about.
 
“And, I believe she plans on meeting someone named Houjou tonight, a boy she went to school with. He is so handsome!” she said with glee, holding up the photograph which she still held in her hand and noticing the signs of Inuyasha's jealousy on his scowling face. “He asked her to meet him tonight and----”
 
“Keh! Like I care!” Inuyasha shouted, clearly lying and more than angry.
 
He suddenly looked dangerous and ready to kill someone. Sango stepped back, not expecting to provoke quite that strong of a reaction from him. Miroku stepped forward to her side, apprehensive.
 
“You do care, Inuyasha,” Sango said softly. No one said anything else to break the tense silence.
 
Inuyasha glared at them a moment, emitting a low growl. He finally swung around and left. They watched him through the open doorway as he sprinted toward the forest.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
He'd thought he had time. He'd thought she wouldn't meet anyone if she was just gone for a day, but now she was meeting that Houjou boy and staying longer in her time. That bastard human could be a problem. Inuyasha knew the boy had been sniffing around Kagome for at least as long as she'd been coming through the well. His persistence had bothered Inuyasha, but he'd been able to ignore it in the past because Kagome had seemed genuinely disinterested in the jerk.
 
Inuyasha could feel his youkai side raging as he ran though the trees. His pain and anger since hearing the conversation between Sango and Kagome kept it just under the surface, making itself known, ready to hunt down Kagome and make her physically his whether she was willing or not.
 
He'd brooded on it since Kagome left yesterday and these feelings were becoming overwhelming. It scared him….
 
He found himself at the well suddenly, staring down into its darkness…
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
“He really is very upset, Sango. Is Kagome really meeting someone?” asked Miroku.
 
“I am not sure. This handsome boy did invite her to meet him, but I don't know if she really will,” she replied, handing him the photograph. “She told me about it this morning. I just said that to Inuyasha because he is always such a fool about Kikyou or whatever other reasons, and he's always hurting Kagome.”
 
Suddenly realizing what she said, Sango turned to the old miko and said, “I'm sorry, Kaede-ba-chan. I know Kikyou is your sister.”
 
“Ye need not be sorry, Sango. My sister died over fifty years ago,” Kaede replied. “That which ye think to be her now is but a bitter shadow. It should not be among the living. My sister herself would have put such a creature out of its misery had she been confronted with one in her life time.” Kaede paused for a moment before adding, “I'd advise ye not to provoke Inuyasha's temper over Kagome. He's attached himself to her more thoroughly than he will admit to any of us and may not know how to control himself if he thinks she will be taken from him.”
 
Shippou wondered if he should tell them that Inuyasha had a youkai scent-claim on Kagome. He finally decided to wait until it was absolutely necessary to reveal that bit of information. Besides, years ago, Inuyasha had threatened to kill him if he ever told the humans…and considering Inuyasha's mood of late, Shippou decided to keep his mouth shut about it.
 
Instead he pointed out, “Kagome will probably be too busy sitting Inuyasha to go meet anyone, because I bet that's where the baka went just now.”
 
Everyone silently agreed, and after a moment of silence, Miroku changed the subject by suggesting that Sango and he go on a picnic that afternoon. He anxiously eyed the bag she carried and blushed slightly.
 
“A picnic! Oh, boy! Where will we go?” asked Shippou, acting like they'd never eaten outdoors before.
 
“Well, Shippou, I thought that Sango and I would go alone on the picnic. You can stay here and keep Kaede-sama company. You know you missed her while we were gone,” coaxed Miroku.
 
Shippou laughed, “Sango won't go with you alone, Miroku! Will you, Sango?”
 
“Well, actually, Shippou-chan, I think I will this time.” Sango tried to pretend her face was not turning beet-red and moved around the hut to help Kaede prepare the food. She wanted to be alone with Miroku, but not for the reasons he obviously thought. She wanted to talk to him.
 
“What!? Are you serious, Sango? But….but… he will…” Shippou's voice faded away as he looked back and forth between the blushing couple, until Kaede took pity on Sango and Miroku.
 
“Shippou, I will need ye to help me this afternoon if ye care to stay with me. I am sure that Miroku and Sango only want to discuss something without ye underfoot. Will ye stay with me here?”
 
With one last look at Miroku, who looked slightly smug under his blush, and Sango, who looked embarrassed, Shippou reluctantly agreed. As a reward, Sango gave him a piece of chocolate that she had been saving and he seemed pacified, although he continued to throw dark glances in Miroku's direction occasionally while the women started preparing lunch.
 
OOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Sango noticed him first. She was so shocked it took her almost thirty full seconds to gain the ability to silently point at him through the open doorway. Looking in that direction, Miroku sprang up and rushed out the door, ready to defend Sango, Kaede, and Shippou with his life. Sango joined him almost immediately, her large weapon ready. Kirara transformed and stood by them. Shippou stood behind them and growled, hoping it did not sound too much like a whimper. Kaede stood in her doorway and remained calmly curious.
 
They stood there as he approached, a tense little group waiting for an attack. Miroku nervously scanned the area. The villagers had scattered.
 
“What is Sesshoumaru doing here?” he asked. Sango had no answer.
 
Suddenly, Inuyasha was in front of them, panting slightly at having run so far and so fast. He drew Tessaiga.
 
Sesshoumaru continued to walk unconcernedly in their direction. They noticed Rin trailing behind him, and Miroku and Sango looked at each other nervously. What could that mean? They had not battled him for a long time. He had seemed to be leaving Inuyasha alone.
 
“What the fuck do you want, Sesshoumaru?” shouted Inuyasha.
 
Sesshoumaru was within thirty feet of them now. He stopped and regally surveyed them.
 
“Inuyasha. I have come to talk.” Sesshoumaru did not shout but they heard him nonetheless. He never seemed to exert more energy than was absolutely necessary, nor did he ever seem to show any emotion.
 
“Talk? I talk with Tessaiga!” shouted Inuyasha.
 
“Then perhaps it is fortunate that I have not come to talk to you. Where is the young miko?”
 
They gasped. What did Sesshoumaru want with Kagome?
 
“You leave Kagome the hell out of this, Sesshoumaru! I'll never let you near her!” Inuyasha yelled. He was actually glad Kagome had not returned yet.
 
Sesshoumaru sniffed the air. “I do not detect her scent. She is not here.”
 
Inuyasha was livid. How dare he know her scent! How dare he be that familiar with his Kagome!
 
Without warning, Inuyasha recklessly charged at Sesshoumaru. He raised Tessaiga to swing down on Sesshoumaru and then saw Rin peek from behind the youkai, no fear on her face, watching him curiously. Inuyasha checked his swing and turned at the last second in order to avoid possibly hurting the young girl, which gave Sesshoumaru an opening. He knew Rin was in no danger because he would have stopped the hanyou's attack regardless.
 
Sesshoumaru slammed the flat side of Toukijin into Inuyasha, knocking him away, but not cutting him. Inuyasha flew through the air and landed hard. Tessaiga landed several feet away. Sesshoumaru had his claw in Inuyasha's throat before Inuyasha could move. He was pinned.
 
Sango and Miroku ran forward to help Inuyasha, Kirara beside them.
 
“If you value their lives, Inuyasha, you will tell them to stay back. This does not concern them,” Sesshoumaru said quietly.
 
Inuyasha agreed. “Miroku! Sango! Stay out of it!”
 
They stopped, but remained poised for action.
 
Inuyasha was panting and angry. He defiantly glared into Sesshoumaru's narrowed eyes.
 
Sesshoumaru held Inuyasha's glare and noted with irritation that faint stripes were starting to appear on Inuyasha's cheeks. He knew that Inuyasha would turn full youkai soon unless something was done to stop the transformation. This would not suit the inu youkai's purposes.
 
“Kagome is not here to give you strength this time, Inuyasha. Control yourself. I have observed that you are a lesser, weaker being when she is not near. I will not fail to kill you this time if you challenge me, although that is not my purpose here today.”
 
He paused to let Inuyasha think on that before he said, “Perhaps you and I do need to talk, Inuyasha. We can talk like this, or we can pretend to be civil and talk inside the old miko's home. It matters not to me.”
 
Inuyasha gritted his teeth and looked like he was going to struggle, but as he looked Sesshoumaru in the eyes, Inuyasha knew he spoke the truth. He wasn't here to fight, but…that still didn't explain what he wanted with Kagome.
 
“If I call truce, Inuyasha, will you agree?”
 
“Yes,” Inuyasha gritted out. He still seethed with rage, but he could feel his full youkai side taking over and he feared for the safety of his friends.
 
Sesshoumaru hesitated a moment, then gracefully stood and moved aside to give Inuyasha room to stand also. Rin surprised Inuyasha by handing him Tessaiga and smiling at him once he was on his feet. Miroku and Sango stared in stunned silence.
 
Regaining Tessaiga forced his youkai blood to recede and the stripes on Inuyasha's face faded.
 
He glared at Sesshoumaru, who remained quite impassive, for almost a full minute before turning and stomping swiftly past Miroku and Sango, back toward Kaede's hut. Sesshoumaru and Rin followed at a more dignified pace.
 
Kaede still stood near her doorway watching Inuyasha approach. Shippou was next to her.
 
“I need to use your hut, Babaa.”
 
“Be ye inviting a youkai into my home, Inuyasha?” asked Kaede.
 
“No, he fucking invited himself! Just stay the hell out of the way!” Inuyasha was angry and afraid. What was Sesshoumaru up to? Would Kaede and everyone be safe? He silently thanked the gods that Kagome wasn't there.
 
Kaede calmly watched the youkai's approach and then went inside. Shippou backed inside too when Sesshoumaru got closer.
 
Inuyasha waited until Sesshoumaru caught up with him then growled, “If you harm my friends in any way, I'll fucking kill you.”
 
“I will honor the truce, Inuyasha. The question is, will you?”
 
Inuyasha turned and went inside. Sesshoumaru followed after quietly instructing Rin to sit and wait for him outside the open doorway.
 
Kaede retreated to the back of the room as they came in, taking Shippou with her.
 
Miroku, Sango, and Kirara came in after Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru looked at the humans with one eyebrow raised. He could smell their fear but they returned the look defiantly, making it clear that they would not leave Inuyasha. He turned from them with apparent indifference.
 
Kirara transformed to her smaller size and skirted the edge of the room to sit by Shippou.
 
They all cautiously sat down ignoring the smell of the cooking food.
 
“What the fuck do you want, Sesshoumaru?” Inuyasha said in a low, angry voice after a moment of silence.
 
“It is not my desire to explain my actions to you, Inuyasha. My reasons for seeking the young miko today are between her and myself. However, I will tell you some things that may help you understand at a later time.” His voice remained impassive.
 
Inuyasha was still seething. “You don't have anything to fucking say to Kag--”
 
Sesshoumaru cut Inuyasha's shouting short with, “It is the miko's decision, not yours, to speak with me or not. I will only tell you this: I will not harm her. You may be at ease on that.” He did not raise his voice.
 
Inuyasha glared at Sesshoumaru and sputtered, “At ease!? Why you—,” but Sesshoumaru continued to speak unconcernedly.
 
“Do you know why our father married your mother, Inuyasha? Do not answer. I will explain...” He was silent for a moment, looking out the doorway but not really seeing what lay beyond.
 
Inuyasha was so surprised by the turn in the conversation that he just stared at Sesshoumaru without speaking.
 
“I was shamed when our father announced his union with your mother, Inuyasha, a frail, weak human. It was unforgivable.” He paused for a moment and Inuyasha emitted a low growl again at the insult.
 
Sesshoumaru began speaking again before Inuyasha could interrupt him. “It is only very recently that I began to understand Father and to learn that humans actually have many strengths of which I was unaware.” He glanced out the door where Rin was sitting patiently.
 
“Father realized something that has of late become apparent to this Sesshoumaru also. You have fought hundreds of male youkai, Inuyasha. I wonder if you ever considered how few female youkai you have encountered.”
 
Miroku and Sango exchanged stunned looks. Sesshoumaru was right. There were very, very few female youkai that either could recall. Sango thought about Kouga's tribe and didn't remember seeing a single female, except Ayame. Was Sesshoumaru implying there were no female youkai available to mate? Large, ugly centipede youkai didn't count…and with Kagura gone…
 
“Father rightly refused to mate a neko youkai and turned to humans instead. I understand the need now, however I did not understand why he took joy in it, nor why he valued your mother so…”
 
Inuyasha growled at Sesshoumaru's pause, but was again cut off before he could speak.
 
“Your mother, Inuyasha, never wavered in her devotion to our father, even after his death. She, a human, had honor and loyalty, more than most youkai, though I would not acknowledge it then. I did not understand why our father valued her so at the time, but the qualities he valued in your mother are the qualities I want in my own mate. I, Sesshoumaru, would value a loyal and honorable partner, as our father did, especially one with beauty, dignity, and a gentle strength of her own. I have come to understand our Father's wisdom and choices, Inuyasha.” He looked out the doorway again as if lost in thought.
 
Inuyasha had an ugly look on his face as he thought about the implications of Sesshoumaru's disclosure. His heart was pounding and he was finding it hard to breath. Even with Tessaiga strapped to his side, faint stripes started to show on Inuyasha's cheeks again. He was trembling.
 
Sango was shocked to see the stripes. She had never known them to appear unless Inuyasha's life was in danger. She wondered if losing Kagome would literally kill him…especially if he lost her to Sesshoumaru who had just hinted that he was seeking Kagome for his mate.
 
“You will never, NEVER have Kagome, Sesshoumaru, you bastard. Not while I'm alive,” Inuyasha ground out through gritted teeth. He was shaking all over. He started to stand.
 
Sesshoumaru was on his feet first. Even when moving so fast, he managed to be graceful and elegant. “I do not recall telling you anything of my intentions or lack of intentions toward the young miko, Inuyasha. Regardless, she is a woman grown. She will weigh her options and decide for herself where her future lies.” He moved toward the door as Rin scrambled to stand up outside. “Come, Rin, we shall leave now.”
 
Inuyasha made a lunge for Sesshoumaru but Miroku and Sango held him back with difficulty. Miroku slapped a prayer scroll on Inuyasha's chest to keep him from having physical contact with Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru was not helping with his arrogant attitude of disdain for Inuyasha's outburst.
 
“You will never fucking touch Kagome, Sesshoumaru! NEVER!” shouted Inuyasha.
 
Sesshoumaru hesitated in the doorway for only a short moment to calmly taunt, “Apparently, little brother, neither will you…or so I have heard.” There was a nasty smirk in his voice even though he never turned around for them to see if it showed on his face.
 
Inuyasha's teeth were bared and the stripes stood out starkly on his cheeks. His eyes were turning from gold to red. Sango trembled with fear of him and for him but continued to hold him back with Miroku.
 
“Why, you fucking…!! Let go of me! Come back here, you bastard! Shit! Let go!”
 
Inuyasha struggled with Sango and Miroku, who slapped more ofuda on him, but they held him back, desperately pressing Tessaiga against him, as Sesshoumaru walked calmly away in the distance followed by Rin. Kaede stood ready to try and help if necessary and Shippou quietly cried, hugging an agitated Kirara, both frightened for Inuyasha.
 
Sango and Miroku finally released Inuyasha when his growls quieted and they were sure he would not pursue Sesshoumaru. Inuyasha stood breathing hard and staring in the direction that Sesshoumaru had gone. The stripes faded somewhat. Miroku tentatively reached over and removed the prayer scrolls from him.
 
Miroku, Sango, and Inuyasha all realized that Sesshoumaru had heard Sango and Kagome's conversation, but none voiced this out loud.
 
Miroku, perhaps unwisely, finally said, “Well I guess we can expect Kouga nex---”
 
Before he could finish, Inuyasha had him by the throat against the wall.
 
“Shut up! Shut the fuck up! No one is going to lay a fucking finger on her! I'll kill them if they try!” Inuyasha shouted in Miroku's face. He looked deadly and on the verge of losing all control again. Miroku did not want to provoke him further and lowered his eyes, remaining still.
 
Sango interceded and grabbed Inuyasha's shoulder. “Let go of him, Inuyasha!” When he did not immediately respond, she shouted, “Now!!” and shook him. She could still see the faint stripes across his cheeks and knew he was dangerous right now. It made her very nervous.
 
Smelling their fear of him and trying to gain control of himself, Inuyasha let go and moved toward the door. Miroku let out a relieved breath while rubbing his bruised neck.
 
As her fear faded, Sango's anger took over. She spoke to Inuyasha's retreating back, “You better get used to it, Inuyasha! If you don't want her, then let her be with someone who does! Think about her for a change instead of yourself!”
 
Inuyasha broke into a run headed for the forest again, trying to get away from her voice.
 
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo ~ End Chapter 5 ~ oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Thank you for reading this and please remember to review.
 
 
Author's Notes: Okay, okay, I know Sesshoumaru was sorta out-of-character, but remember, he's been traveling with Rin for almost four years now, and also consider that he's got an agenda and everything he does is self-serving. I'll shut up on that for now…
 
What a lot has happened just two days after a little conversation between girl friends. And today it happened all before lunch. Just think of what could happen by nightfall….hmmm.
 
And everyone who asked to have someone beat the crap out of Inuyasha, raise your hand, please. Wow, that's quite a few of you (Sango raises her hand with you). Well, he's taking an emotional beating… Is that good enough for now? Physical beatings may commence in a later chapter.
 
Speaking of later chapters, the next one should be up within a week. Thank you to everyone who has left your comments and opinions. I read all of them and they mean a lot to me. I really appreciate all of you and I hope you continue to enjoy my story…and please don't flame me (much) for Sesshoumaru's actions in this chapter. ;)