InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What A Girl Needs ❯ What a Heart Takes ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Originally posted May 07, 2005. Minor typos fixed September 10, 2005.
 
Disclaimer: Rumiko Takahashi owns everything and I humbly bow to her genius.
 
Warning: Spoilers and character death…(but main characters in Inuyasha never stay dead for long…)
 
 
What a Girl Needs
 
by Souta's Sister
 
Chapter 6 -- What a Heart Takes
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
 
Earlier that day…
 
They came upon the bodies just after dawn, near a small river where they had camped the previous night. The whole area was denuded of plants from the tremendous blast of miasma that Naraku released during the apparent battle. The poison still hung low to the ground in the clearing, keeping animals and youkai away, and causing Kohaku to don his mask to filter the contaminated air.
 
She knew these three youkai. They were enemies of Naraku also and she had come upon them several times over the years. She would never trust a sentient youkai nor name them as friend apart from Inuyasha, but she acknowledged the fact that this group of youkai had been a loose sort of ally and their deaths would be important news.
 
She would have to inform Inuyasha about this development. He and his traveling companions needed to know that Naraku now had two more jewel shards, taken from the wolf youkai's legs. She believed only Kohaku's and Kagome's shards remained out of Naraku's hands.
 
“Kikyou-sama…”
 
She turned to the boy. He was nearly fifteen years old now…almost a man, his eyes reflecting knowledge and sorrow beyond what a child should have had to endure. He was a quiet and withdrawn boy and they rarely spoke. They were silent companions for the most part, traveling noiselessly across the land, always searching for Naraku.
 
Seeing that he had her attention, Kohaku continued, “Do you think Naraku is finally going to confront us now?”
 
Naraku had been preoccupied with controlling his own incarnations for almost two years and had avoided large confrontations with his enemies for some time. Now, it did seem that he might be ready to concentrate on them again.
 
“It seems so… He will come for you.”
 
“I am ready to die if it will mean Naraku can be destroyed,” he calmly replied through his mask.
 
“Do not be so ready to return to your grave, Kohaku,” she advised emotionlessly.
 
“It would be what I deserve---”
 
Suddenly angry, Kikyou cut him off, “You do not deserve to suffer for Naraku's sins. Do not think that you do.”
 
“I killed my family!” he retorted, heatedly but without raising his voice. He respected the miko too much to yell at her.
 
“And I killed my love, my husband-to-be!” she returned with equal heat.
 
He looked away, agitated. She watched him and calmed herself. Her false body, born of an evil spell and steeped in hate, compelled her to feel negative emotions most of the time. She tried to remain calm and emotionless rather than succumb to the lingering influence of the spell.
 
Still, anger and spite always simmered under her skin. When she had first been raised from the dead, it had taken her more than a year to learn the difference between the emotions compelled by the spell and the emotions her spirit remembered from life. Control did not come easily, but she again knew her own mind and had learned to be master of her own thoughts…most of the time.
 
After a minute or two, she spoke.
 
“We have much in common, Kohaku. Naraku caused our deaths…and we were resurrected by evil. We have each unwillingly or unknowingly played the part of Naraku's puppet, both in life and in death. We have killed the ones we loved… But still the gods have blessed us... In their wisdom, they have allowed your sister to crawl from her grave…to forgive you and to give you her love and support. They have allowed Inuyasha to wake from eternal sleep so that he could forgive me and honor our friendship.”
 
She paused for a moment, looking at the horizon as the sun rose higher, lost in her thoughts. Finally, she sighed and continued.
 
“My time upon this earth is near its end, but you may yet live a long life. Inuyasha and your sister will do all in their power to see you survive, even without your shard. The gods are righting the wrongs of Naraku. All that has happened is his responsibility, Kohaku. Do not take the burden of Naraku's sins upon your own shoulders. Live with regret if you must, but do not condemn yourself for what was beyond your control…for the gods will not and neither does your family.”
 
He looked near tears, overcome with emotion. She pitied him to the extent that she could feel any compassionate emotion within her tainted body.
 
“If you do live, Kohaku, live joyously. The gods want you to find peace and happiness in your life or they would not have taken you this far. Cherish your second chance and celebrate the gift by serving the gods well…and trusting the ones you love.”
 
He nodded his head, acknowledging that he heard her, but he could not speak past the lump in his throat.
 
She allowed him his dignity and turned from him. She took her bow and pulled an arrow from her quiver. She walked away from the bodies, out of the miasma, knowing Kohaku would follow. About four or five minutes later, she stopped in a small clearing near the river. She notched her arrow and shot a nearby tree. A barrier expanded from the arrow, encompassing the surrounding area like a transparent dome.
 
“Stay here, Kohaku. Inuyasha must be informed about the wolf youkai. I will look for him in my sister's village first. Do not leave the barrier and look for me to return tomorrow.”
 
He nodded agreement and sat down, his back against a tree. He removed his mask and watched as she lifted an arm, signaling her soul-gathering youkai to come to her. They lifted her and after a few minutes, she was out of sight beyond the trees.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Kagome relished being alone for once. She came back through the well after seeing Sango that morning and had taken a nice long bath. She loved being clean. Following Inuyasha around was a dirty business, she thought, and smiled. She blow-dried her hair and enjoyed the clean feel and scent of it.
 
She had told Sango that she might go meet Houjou tonight, but she wasn't sure if she really wanted to. Eri had called her right after she returned home this morning. Houjou had told her that he had seen Kagome yesterday and Eri wanted to know if Kagome was going to the party with him. Since Kagome wasn't sure about going with Houjou, Eri asked her to meet her and some other girls at a night club and they could go to the party as a group. If she wasn't there by nine o'clock, they would go without her.
 
Kagome couldn't decide. Maybe she would call Houjou…or maybe she could just meet the girls. Going with a group of girls would allow her to meet other guys at the party, or, if she chose to, stick with Houjou. She could leave with anyone she wanted to leave with if she went with the girls, while if she went with Houjou, she'd have to leave with him.
 
Did she want to leave with Houjou? Stay by his side all night? Did she want to go with Houjou in the first place?
 
She sighed. Houjou was okay and she thought she might grow to like him if she gave him a chance. But…could she really sleep with someone without first feeling a connection to them? Had loving Inuyasha ruined it for her?
 
She was suddenly angry with herself, and she resented Inuyasha's hold on her. He controlled her without even being there. She had to find a life away from Inuyasha, because she knew he would not always be there for her, and she might as well start that life now. She gave herself a tight smile in her mirror to steel her resolve. She would go out and she would have a good time, and if she ended up having sex with Houjou or even a stranger, so be it.
 
Determinedly, Kagome took out her sexiest outfit and tried it on. She had never worn it anywhere before and had impulsively bought it the last time she was home, right after she'd convinced herself to find someone else to love. Tags still hung off the garments.
 
The red, shiny top had spaghetti straps, was cut low across her bust line, and only covered her torso to just above her bellybutton. The short, tight-fitting black skirt was made to wear low on her hips. Her whole middle was bare and she wondered with a giggle if it would look better with a bellybutton ring or maybe a strategically placed tattoo.
 
She looked at herself in the mirror and noticed a few faint scars here and there on her body. Battle scars. Would men mind them? No, her breasts would surely fall out of this top if she tried to dance in it and that would distract them from the scars, right? She giggled again. She was sure to get laid wearing this!
 
Serves Inuyasha right for not claiming her for himself, she thought angrily.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Sango and Miroku watched Inuyasha run toward his forest and disappear in the foliage. Once he was completely out of sight, Sango turned to Miroku and whacked the side of his head with her open palm.
 
“Oww! What was that for? I didn't touch you yet!” he exclaimed, rubbing his abused head.
 
“You stupid houshi! Why did you have to provoke him when you knew he was already so angry!? What were you thinking!? Next time wait until you have room to run away!”
 
Her chest was heaving up and down from her anger and what he could clearly see was concern for him. His expression became benevolent and he took one of her hands into both of his, staring deeply into her eyes.
 
“Ahh, I see, my lovely Sango. Your feelings for me compel you to be concerned for my well-being and I am flattered by your violent display of affection.”
 
He took a breath to continue but she cut him off, embarrassed and blushing, yanking her hand from his grasp.
 
“Shut up, Houshi! Or you'll see what a `violent display' really is!”
 
“As you wish,” he replied solemnly, but she could see humor in his eyes. Damn it! Why did she have to love those laughing eyes?
 
She mentally sighed and turned from him. As soon as she faced Shippou, he launched himself into her arms.
 
She caught him with an audible `oof' and hugged him as he clung to her. He decided it was time to tell what he knew and pray that Inuyasha was too preoccupied to kill him for it.
 
He did his best to dry his tears, some of the first real tears he'd cried in years. He'd learned that tears, even fake ones, always got Kagome's and/or Sango's notice and that crying just about guaranteed extra hugs and treats. He'd perfected the act over the years and used Inuyasha's temper to his own advantage in the quest for attention and presents. But he wasn't faking this time. He was scared for Inuyasha…and Kagome.
 
Sango rubbed Shippou's back and tried to calm the kitsune. She looked over his head at Kaede who was tending to their lunch. Kaede looked up and caught Sango's eye but only shrugged at the unspoken question of what to do for Shippou. They assumed the whole business with Sesshoumaru had upset him.
 
Miroku went to get a basket from the corner of the room and started getting the picnic supplies together, including a large `table cloth' from Kagome's time that was soft on one side and `plastic' on the other. They'd use it as a blanket to sit on and, if he had his way, do other things too.
 
Sango watched him as she took Shippou near the cooking fire and sat down with him in her lap.
 
Shippou surprised them when he finally spoke.
 
“He's had a youkai scent-claim on her since before I met them…”
 
Sango understood and caught her breath. A real scent-claim? For that long? She knew Inuyasha cared about Kagome but a scent-claim? Well, that explained a lot…
 
“What do ye mean, Shippou? Inuyasha has claimed Kagome? Wouldn't we know?” Kaede asked.
 
Miroku had stopped what he was doing when Shippou had first spoken and after Kaede's questions, he walked over to sit by the old miko so he would not miss any of the explanation.
 
“A youkai scent-claim is a promise to mate. It's a warning to other youkai that a girl is already taken and is protected by whoever left their scent on her. I knew it the first time I caught her scent but Inuyasha told me he'd kill me if I told her or anyone else. Kouga and Sesshoumaru know. They can smell it just like I can…but humans can't smell it so Kagome won't know unless someone tells her.” Shippou wiped his nose on the back of his sleeve and sniffled a little while Sango petted his hair.
 
“How does Inuyasha go about leaving his scent on Kagome?” Miroku asked, thinking of the possibilities.
 
“Houshi…,” Sango warned in a low voice.
 
“Ah, ah, ah, Sango, what are you thinking? I am merely curious about how these things work,” he stated with a bland expression of innocence.
 
Sango blushed but didn't challenge him verbally, only narrowing her eyes at him meaningfully.
 
Shippou continued, “When he carries her -- and he carries her all the time on purpose -- he lets his hands sweat on her legs. Youkai can smell his scent from it and they know exactly where he touched her to leave the scent. You know how good Inuyasha's nose is and he's only half-youkai, so there's no way they don't smell him on her. Anyway, they know that for his scent to be that strong, he had to touch her there for a long time, and that means she had to let him touch her there and that she accepts him. You know where he holds her when she's on his back and that's not a casual place to touch…” He wiped his nose again and shifted a little in Sango's lap.
 
“He's done this since before you met them?” Sango asked.
 
“Yeah, well…the scent used to not be as strong as it is now, but I called her `his woman' the first time I saw them and Inuyasha bopped me on the head for it. He denied it, but she was with him, she already smelled like him, and he was protecting her like she belonged to him, just like he does now. The Thunder Brothers believed her when she said she was his woman even though she thought she was fibbing and was just trying to get away from them. Inuyasha told them she wasn't his woman, but he still fought them and protected her. I don't know why he doesn't want her to know.”
 
He paused a minute to sniffle a little and Miroku asked a question.
 
“You said that Kouga is aware of this claim, Shippou? Why does he continue to pursue Kagome-sama if Inuyasha's scent warns him away?”
 
“Inuyasha's half-youkai and…and…”
 
“Full-youkai don't completely respect his claim?” Sango asked.
 
Shippou hung his head because he'd ridiculed Inuyasha too for being a hanyou, when they first met and since then. He felt ashamed, because no matter how much they bickered, Shippou knew that Inuyasha would protect him with his life. He'd proven it on more than one occasion. Neither would ever admit it, but they cared for each other in a brotherly sort of way even though they never showed it openly.
 
“No, they don't, but since Inuyasha has killed so many strong youkai himself, a lot of youkai are scared to challenge him. Kouga might have…done things…to Kagome if I wasn't there and if he'd had more time even though he could tell she was under Inuyasha's protection, but after he saw Inuyasha's power in a fight, he's been careful not to go too far with Kagome. And Inuyasha always tries to make sure Kouga can't touch her because Kouga wants to leave his scent on her too, even if it's just on her hands. He knows that Inuyasha hates it too. If he were actually challenged, Inuyasha would fight for real and try to kill a rival to keep Kagome…like today. And you know what Sesshoumaru thinks of Inuyasha being a half-breed so I guess he doesn't care if Inuyasha has a scent-claim on Kagome or not… Another youkai can cover up Inuyasha's scent or it will go away after a while if he doesn't keep it fresh, so I guess they think they could still have Kagome if…she left Inuyasha or if Inuyasha wasn't around anymore… If Inuyasha and Kagome were really mated, I don't think Kouga or Sesshoumaru would still want Kagome, but since Inuyasha hasn't…gotten too far…with her…”
 
Sango blushed along with the kitsune in her lap. Miroku grinned widely, much amused.
 
“Sooooo, let me make sure we have clarity on this issue. In order to completely turn away his competition, other than killing them, and in order to fully claim Kagome, Inuyasha must—”
 
“Houshi!” Sango interrupted him, blushing more.
 
“I think we have clarity enough, Miroku. Ye have no need to speak of details,” Kaede said before the houshi could continue with what his grin implied he wanted to say. She pinned him with a stern look for a moment before turning back to Shippou.
 
“Are ye saying, Shippou, that Inuyasha himself considers Kagome his mate even without her knowledge and without completing their bond? And does that explain his reaction today?” she asked.
 
“Yeah, he's already decided she's his, I think, and he'll kill anyone that he thinks is a threat if he can. That's why he's always so upset about Kouga calling Kagome `his woman' and that's why he gets mad at Kagome when she tries to make him stop fighting with Kouga. She doesn't know that it's serious for both of them,” he replied.
 
“Kagome-chan said that when Kouga first said he would make her his woman, she told him she was already with Inuyasha, and he said he'd just kill Inuyasha so she would be free to be with him. I agree with you, Shippou-chan. I don't think she believes he was serious. She just told him she was with Inuyasha as an excuse not to hurt Kouga's feelings because she doesn't like Kouga like that, but Kouga must know that she is with Inuyasha by choice even if she doesn't know Inuyasha has marked her with his scent. Apart from what Sesshoumaru said about there being only a few female youkai available, why do they want Kagome-chan? I know she's pretty and is a very nice person, but why do they single her out?” Sango asked.
 
Shippou looked down at his toes and thought about it for a minute and then just told them the reasons why he liked Kagome so much.
 
“She was nice to me from the first day we met. She didn't know me at all, but she risked her life to help me. She never screamed or got scared because I'm a youkai and never treated me like I was different or evil. She did the same thing with Kouga. She talked to him and helped him like it didn't matter if he was a wolf youkai that just took her away from her friends. And since she was with Inuyasha, a half-youkai, and it was obvious that she accepted him in a close relationship, it seemed that she'd be accepting of other youkai too as close friends. Humans don't usually want anything to do with youkai, but Kagome's different from most humans…plus, she smells really, really good,” he concluded.
 
“What do you mean `she smells good', Shippou-chan? Does Kagome-chan smell different from the rest of us?” Sango asked curiously.
 
“Well, all humans smell different from each other just like all youkai have their own scent. You and Kaede-bachan smell nice too, Sango, but there's something about Kagome's scent that…that…just makes me want to be near her. Her scent makes me feel, I don't know…safe…and peaceful, I guess,” he tried to explain.
 
“I think ye smell her purity of spirit…and mayhap the miko power within her,” Kaede speculated.
 
“Kagome-sama is accepting, isn't she? Even though, when I first met her, I stole her jewel shard and fought with Inuyasha, she forgave me and showed openness and concern for me. I have never seen an aura as pure or as bright as the one that surrounds her. I am willing to bet that Kagome-sama was the first to ever accept Inuyasha so unconditionally as he is. She has taught us all much about acceptance and forgiveness.”
 
“Yes, Kagome is a special child to be sure. She may succeed in teaching even Inuyasha to be accepting and forgiving…” Kaede responded, `even of himself,' she added silently.
 
“He forgave me and has been a true friend to me despite the fact that I tried to kill him when we first met and I stole Tessaiga… He was already a good person before he met Kagome-chan, I think; but then, Kagome-chan brings out the best in us all, doesn't she? I guess the reasons why we love Kagome-chan are the same reasons why youkai would like her too,” Sango mused.
 
“Plus, she really, really smells good,” Shippou reminded them.
 
“You said that already, Shippou-chan,” Sango laughed.
 
“Yeah, but that part is very important to youkai,” he asserted. “Our nose is just as important as our eyes. We `see' people with our noses too. Not everyone smells good and when we find someone with a pleasant scent, it's probably more important than how they look. You can get used to how someone looks, but if they stink….” His voice trailed off.
 
“No wonder so many youkai are…sniffing around Kagome-sama,” Miroku said while trying to appear as if he had no hidden meaning in that sentence.
 
Sango glared at him and Kaede shook her head slightly before asking, “Shippou, why have ye told us this today? What do ye fear?”
 
Shippou looked at his feet again and hesitated before answering. “I'm scared for Inuyasha and I'm scared for Kagome. Some youkai go crazy if they lose their mate. I don't know what Inuyasha will do if he can't have Kagome…and I don't know what he'll do to Kagome if he went through the well to find her just now,” he admitted.
 
Sango caught her breath and said, “He wouldn't hurt Kagome-chan!”
 
“That's why I told you about it. I don't know what to think and I'm scared,” replied Shippou.
 
Miroku spoke up, “We all know Kagome-sama will accept Inuyasha if he approaches her with care, but I believe Shippou fears that in his present state of mind, he may try and…rush to conclude his claim without explaining anything to her. She could become angered and fight him if she does not understand the situation. He has had trouble controlling himself today and he may not react well if he thinks she is rejecting him.”
 
Shippou nodded his head in agreement, still looking at his feet, and taking comfort from Sango as she gave him a little hug and assured him, “I don't think that Inuyasha could ever hurt Kagome-chan, no matter what. Even when he has turned full-youkai, like in the stone oni's stomach, Kagome-chan calmed him down by just touching him. She will know how to keep them both safe even if Inuyasha is not in control of himself.”
 
“I agree with Sango. Inuyasha would never allow himself to harm Kagome. Ye need not worry for her. I'd have a worry for Inuyasha if Kagome loses her temper perhaps, but they will not harm each other, Shippou,” Kaede told the kitsune.
 
They all paused for a moment, thinking about their friends and hoping everything would work out okay. Finally Sango noticed that lunch was ready and thought it would help calm Shippou down if they just went about their normal activities.
 
“They'll be okay, Shippou. Try not to worry about them. Now, let's get lunch together. I'm starving. What about you?” Sango asked.
 
He nodded and relaxed a little, much relieved, and continued to allow Sango to cuddle him while Kaede pulled out bowls for her and Shippou, and Miroku resumed gathering their picnic supplies and packing their food into a basket.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Kagome was about to raid her mother's closet to see if she could find a strappy pair of shoes to wear with her outfit when the doorbell chimed. She went downstairs without thinking about what she looked like and opened the sliding door. She smiled immediately and was about to greet her friend but Yuka found her voice first.
 
“Kagome?! Why are you dressed like a prostitute?” she asked, her eyes wide, a shocked look upon her face.
 
Yuka's blunt appraisal of her appearance ruthlessly squashed all of Kagome's earlier bravado and she was suddenly embarrassed to be seen in clothing so revealing. She realized that prancing around her bedroom alone was a completely different experience from prancing around in public wearing these clothes. She laughed nervously and tried to think of some excuse for the way she was dressed.
 
“Ummm…this is the first time I tried it on…and it looked…like it covered more than it does…and…”
 
Yuka smiled with relief and understanding. “Oh, I knew it must be something like that. You're just not that kind of girl. Thank the gods you still have the tags on it because we can bring it back and you can get something decent to wear to the party. Gods, Kagome,” she laughed, “you wouldn't be a virgin tomorrow morning if you wore something like that tonight!”
 
Kagome forced a laugh and said, “Well, we wouldn't want that, now would we?” The sarcasm was lost on her friend.
 
Yuka pulled her upstairs and told her to change so they could go eat lunch together and exchange `that awful outfit.'
 
Kagome complied easily enough since she was used to Yuka's benign bullying. They left the shrine together twenty minutes later.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Inuyasha ran away from Sango's voice and headed straight to the well. He leapt in without losing speed and his momentum knocked him against the inside wall as he went down.
 
He couldn't wait to get to her. First the human boy and now Sesshoumaru… What would he do? Shit! He'd have to mate her now. Today. Waiting was not an option anymore and he just hoped to the gods that she wouldn't fight him about it.
 
His feet barely hit the ground inside the well in Kagome's time before he jumped out and ran to the sliding door. Habit made him glance around for visitors to the shrine, and upon seeing no one, he sprinted to her house.
 
He could smell Kagome's scent in the air in front of her home along with that girl Yuka. Inuyasha rather disliked the girl because he had heard her on several occasions try to talk Kagome into going on a `date' with that Houjou boy. He hoped she wasn't here with Kagome right now. He had things to do and he didn't want to be interrupted.
 
He jumped to the roof outside Kagome's window and slid the window open before stepping down into her room. He knew immediately that Kagome wasn't home and neither was anyone else. Kagome's mom and grandfather had been gone a couple of days and Souta had been gone a day. Their scents were stale in the house.
 
Kagome's fresh scent calmed him and he felt less on edge, more in control. Her scent was untouched. Good.
 
He walked through Kagome's room and down the stairs into the cooking room that had all the machines to heat or cool food. When he didn't see anything that would help him know where Kagome went, he grabbed his ball cap that hung near the back door, and headed back upstairs and out her window.
 
He followed her scent off the shrine property and down the street to the bus stop but lost it there. Fuck! She could be anywhere in that huge village now that she didn't go to that school anymore. He decided to wait for her at the shrine.
 
While sitting up in the God Tree, Inuyasha tried to envision the best way to tell Kagome that she was his mate and that he planned on making it official today. Thinking about making it official, his mind drifted to visions of Kagome without clothes on.
 
He had seen her fully naked quite a few times over the years but not a single time had he enjoyed ideal viewing conditions. If she knew he could see her naked, like that time in Toukajin's kitchen when she was put into that large vat of sake, then Inuyasha became embarrassed and looked away quickly. If she didn't know he could see her naked, it was usually because he was too far away to make out the details of her body very well.
 
Three years ago, he had just worked up the nerve to get really close and watch her bathe when Shippou joined their little group and the opportunity had not come since. Either that little shit would have told on him like he squealed on Miroku, or later, when Sango joined them, Kirara would have given him away thinking she was protecting Sango.
 
Of course, these days Kirara didn't care if Miroku watched. She could smell their mutual attraction to each other just as well as Inuyasha could. But Sango expected the perverted houshi to peek now so she was always on high alert and that kept Inuyasha from getting too close.
 
Inuyasha was also on high alert for Miroku's peeking. He didn't give a fuck if the houshi watched Sango, but Inuyasha didn't like him seeing Kagome. No males would ever be allowed to see Kagome bathe, himself excepted, if Inuyasha had a say in it…which he decided he damn well did.
 
Thinking of bathing…Inuyasha took stock of his appearance. His clothing was dirty from his encounter with Sesshoumaru and so was his hair. He cautiously sniffed himself and thought it might be a good idea to bathe before he tried to persuade Kagome that skin-to-skin contact with him was something she wanted.
 
He judged it to be only mid-afternoon so he knew he had a few hours till nightfall and Kagome would not go to the party until `tonight' Sango had said.
 
He left the God Tree and went back to the well. He left his ball cap on the railing post at the bottom of the steps leading down to the well and jumped in. He'd come back in a couple of hours to take care of business…
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Sango and Miroku finally stopped walking when they reached a small clearing near the river. Miroku spread out the `table cloth' they brought to sit on under a tree and helped Sango with the basket of food.
 
It was already mid afternoon and Miroku knew they did not have that long before they would need to head back to the village…. He'd have to work fast, he thought. `Well…might as well get started….no sense wasting daylight.'
 
Sango was on her knees leaning over the food basket when she felt it. Anger and embarrassment caused her to blush immediately. Even after all this time, he still managed to catch her off guard occasionally. She automatically turned and slapped him, knocking him back, and he landed partially off the blanket, looking completely surprised.
 
“What is the matter with you, Houshi?! Don't you ever know when to be serious?” she yelled.
 
She turned from him and muttered under her breath but loud enough for him to hear, “Even at a time like this….”
 
Now he was confused. He sat back up and studied her rigid back for a moment as she continued to pull food from the basket. She had agreed to come to a private spot with him - alone - right after accepting `birth control' items from Kagome, and only three days after she'd told Kagome that she had `longings' too… He was being serious. Why was she upset? Perhaps he had just startled her. He tried again.
 
Sango looked down at the hand connected to the arm that was snaking around her waist. Didn't he ever learn? Apparently, even Inuyasha knew how to judge the mood better than the baka houshi!
 
She slapped him again.
 
He stayed down this time, staring up at the wisps of clouds passing overhead.
 
She finished with the basket and sat down rather stiffly across the blanket from him. She was really hungry but she didn't want to start eating until he did, and she really didn't want to start talking yet either.
 
This was far worse than talking to Kagome had been. She'd never been so embarrassed in her life than right now, knowing that she was going to have to talk to Miroku - Miroku! - about having or not having sex with him.
 
She sighed and decided to occupy him with food first.
 
“Let's eat, Houshi-sama. The food is ready,” she said stiltedly.
 
To distract herself as he sat up and studied her, she nervously picked up the water jug and poured a cup for herself. She set the jug back into the basket and fidgeted with her drinking cup, avoiding Miroku's gaze.
 
“Why are we here, Sango?”
 
His voice startled her and she jumped slightly, blushing more if that was possible. To delay her answer, she took a large gulp of the liquid in her cup. She realized her mistake immediately but the second gulp was already on its way down too and her gasp of surprise caused her to choke slightly, which started a coughing fit.
 
Miroku was next to her immediately, patting her back, and she tried to push him away as she caught her breath again.
 
“Sake! You put sake in the water jug? You know I hardly ever drink that! Where is the water or tea?” she demanded. Anger was good. She could think better when she was angry and it was easier to deal with Miroku when she was angry. Yes, anger was better than embarrassment and maybe he'd think her face was red from anger and not because of the conversation they would have to get through this afternoon.
 
Her stomach reminded her that sake was not filling, and the sudden heat that swept through her reminded her that one shouldn't drink sake on an empty stomach, especially if one already knows that one becomes drunk very easily. Damn! She'd gulped half her cup down! Sweat broke out a little on her upper lip. This was just great. She was alone with Miroku, who was a pervert all the time but feeling particularly encouraged today, and she was becoming tipsy from the sake. Now was not the most opportune time to be drunk!
 
“Are you alright, Sango?”
 
Damn! He was still right there next to her. She needed distance - now!
 
“Go back to your side of the blanket, Houshi! And you didn't answer my question. Where is the tea or water? Why did you only bring sake?” she asked again, still blushing and not looking at him.
 
He hesitated a moment before he gracefully rose to his feet and took the few steps to `his side of the blanket,' where he sat facing her.
 
“Forgive me, Sango. I have apparently misinterpreted our purpose here today. I apologize for not bringing tea with us. As for the sake…I sought only to promote a…relaxed atmosphere for our…activities. I humbly apologize for your discomfort,” he told her solemnly.
 
She was even more embarrassed and felt like she was being unreasonable and mean to him in the face of his calm acceptance of her anger and his attempt to put her at ease. She couldn't meet his eyes. She'd known what he was expecting when they'd left Kaede's. Did he think she was leading him on? Should she have warned him before they left that she only wanted to talk to him? This was all so embarrassing…
 
“I'm sorry, Houshi-sama, if…I made you think…but I only want to talk about…if we should…I don't know if I…and…”
 
Her voice trailed off and her eyes stayed lowered. He watched her and realized that his Sango, so fearless in battle, was afraid of the next step in their relationship. Even if she wanted to allow a closer bond, her fears were holding her back. His good mood started to come back. He'd need to proceed with caution and choose the best method to put her mind at ease so that he could persuade her that having sex with him - now -- was the right thing to do. Perhaps the sake was a good idea after all…
 
“I see… You wish to discuss the future of our relationship and not…deepen our relationship this day,” he stated calmly, trying to soothe her nervousness.
 
She nodded her head, still not looking at him in her embarrassment, and he wondered how far down her chest her blush went.
 
“My lovely Sango, we are promised to each other…surely you knew we would come to this point at some time? You have no need to worry over this natural progression in our relationship. This is earlier than expected, yes? We believed we must wait for Naraku's destruction, I know, but surely this opportunity is a blessing from the gods. We may be husband and wife sooner than anticipated, yes?” he asked, reminding her that they had a lifetime commitment to each other.
 
Sango looked up at him with complete surprise. This wasn't about sex to him? He really intended to marry her? Somehow…she had always doubted that he would still want her after their quest was over. She felt ashamed and at the same time comforted by his words. Maybe this would be okay after all…
 
“You want to…marry me still? Even though…I…we shouldn't have a child until after…?” she cautiously asked.
 
He turned his head and looked off across the river for a moment before answering. “Sango, I want an heir. I want children with you…but if my time comes before Naraku is defeated, I will not leave a cursed child behind to suffer my fate and the fate of my father and grandfather before me. This curse will end with me, and I will trust you and our friends to destroy Naraku if it takes me before I can. And I would not leave my widow with the burden of raising our child alone…” he concluded. It never hurt to play upon her sympathy, he thought, and what he'd said was true, so he might as well use it to his advantage.
 
Gods! He was right and so was Kagome! Any one of them could be killed tomorrow and she was wasting time and withholding herself from the man she loved…and he was being so patient and understanding…not even mentioning the sex part really…
 
Still…she couldn't have sex today…she just couldn't…but she could tell him about their options…no, she wouldn't tell him about the sheaths for his…member…because that would allow them to start immediately. She'd only tell him of the `pills' and then she would have a month to prepare herself for their intimacy. Yes, that would be best.
 
“Kagome-chan gave me the `birth control' but it does not start to work until…I…a woman…I…complete…my monthly…woman's cycle. So…so…we have to wait a few weeks before…before…we…”
 
Yes! He would have her! Of course, he was disappointed that he would not have her today, but she'd just agreed that it would be soon.
 
Now, he'd have to tread lightly here. She was like a doe, poised for flight at the slightest wrong move, so he'd have to use all his skill to seal the deal, and perhaps, convince her that she should allow more touching in order to get used to what would come in the next month.
 
“Of course, my Sango, you may take all the time you need to ready yourself for our union. I would never rush you to do anything you don't wish to do yet.”
 
Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, so he pulled back a little, “While I am not opposed, you must know, to beginning immediately and while I may have difficulty controlling my cursed hand when so near your beautiful…aura, I am not such a clod as to completely disregard your feelings. I understand your caution and I will endeavor to ease your fears of what is to come.” There, that sounded enough like himself and yet had such a sincere tone that she was bound to fall for it.
 
Her features relaxed a little and she turned to look across the river, still embarrassed but not as stiff. He took that as a good sign. A little more sake would help, he decided. He handed her a loaf of bread that he knew was slightly stale.
 
“I suggest we begin our meal and enjoy the food and this fair weather. I would not have you uncomfortable in my presence. Put aside your misgivings and just eat,” he coaxed while filling her cup again with the sake.
 
She could feel the effects of the alcohol already and decided that food might be a good idea. Delaying their talk was a relief too, although she seemed to be getting over the worst of her embarrassment, she thought. She hoped it wasn't the sake giving her false bravery as she tore a chunk of bread off the loaf and started munching on it. Her mouth felt dry after a couple of mouthfuls of bread and she reflexively reached for her cup and drank, forgetting that it was sake until she'd taken a gulp. She frowned at her cup and set it back down, aiming an annoyed look at Miroku who calmly smiled an apology at her, knowing why she was annoyed.
 
Miroku handed her a bowl of stew and she accepted it. She took a bite and realized that with all the events of the morning, their lunch had suffered. It was slightly salty, perhaps Kaede forgot what she had added to it before Sesshoumaru had showed up, and it had a little bit of a burnt aftertaste to it. She took a bite of bread to remove the aftertaste of the stew and then reached for her cup again without thinking. It was halfway to her mouth before she caught herself and put it back down.
 
She looked up at Miroku to glare at him again, but he didn't seem to be paying attention to her as he calmly ate his meal.
 
She took another bite of stew and eyed her cup again. She thought about the situation. She was in control even after drinking half a cup of sake, right? And the food would counteract the alcohol, right? So what if she felt a little lightheaded and her body was pleasantly warm and relaxed, that didn't keep her from thinking clearly, did it? She could handle even more sake and still keep full possession of her wits, she was sure of it. She took another gulp of sake.
 
Miroku discretely watched her eat and drink more sake. He just as discretely kept her cup filled. When she finished her meal and was swaying slightly where she sat, he repacked the basket and set it aside, leaving the large cloth they sat on completely clear for them to…relax upon.
 
He sat next to her and placed his arm around her waist and pulling her to lean on him. She smiled up at him drunkenly and he felt a twinge of guilt, but dismissed it quickly. They were promised to each other and he would not go too far with her.
 
Sango felt like she was floating on a cloud with Miroku. He was gently holding her, so caring and attentive. It felt so good as he eased her down onto her back and lay down beside her. He placed his hand on her hip and slowly moved it up her body. Even through her clothes, it gave her a tingling sensation all over. And aww, how sweet! He'd moved his hand over her heart and his eyes were closed and he was trembling a little. Was he silently vowing to love her always? She had to tell him how she felt about him too.
 
“M-mir-ko…I lo-love you,” she slurred and placed her hand on top of his, holding it in place above her heart. She smiled widely at his shocked look.
 
Miroku had slowly pulled his hand along the outline of her beautiful body until he felt her left breast cupped within it. He'd closed his eyes savoring the feeling and thanking the gods for giving them sake and burnt stew, when her voice brought him back from his glimpse of heaven.
 
He stared at her in shock. There was truth in alcohol and there was truth in her beautiful eyes, watching him with such trust and happiness and…love. He felt his own heart swell. He'd always desired her and he'd vaguely known that he loved her, but at this moment it became very real to him and she became more precious to him. She was so strong, so independent that he realized he took her emotions for granted most of the time. But, after all, she was a woman…he should have looked past her emotional armor more often instead of only admiring how she looked in her body armor.
 
Her beautiful face revealed her feelings for him completely right now and he owed her the honesty of revealing his too.
 
“Sango, you are the only woman I have ever loved and I will devote my life to making you happy,” he told her, almost overcome with emotion himself as her eyes filled with tears at his words.
 
“Mir-ko,” she said drunkenly. She had never felt so wonderful in her life. She was floating on a cloud with Miroku and he'd said he loved her. She felt utterly at peace and pleasantly drowsy.
 
Miroku leaned down and placed his lips on hers tentatively. When she didn't resist, he moved his arms to pull her closer and deepened the kiss. She moaned slightly and returned the kiss for a moment before relaxing completely in his arms. He felt her surrender and broke the kiss, burying his face in her neck and saying her name. She was his.
 
He lifted his head to make sure she was ready and froze. She was asleep.
 
The gods hated him. They always had. He eased her from his arms and turned to lie on his back beside her. He closed his eyes, willing his heated body and emotions to cool.
 
He took a deep breath and looked over at Sango once again. He smiled at the serene expression on her beautiful face. Perhaps the gods did not totally hate him, for surely she was a gift from them. And the day had not been wasted either he decided.
 
He and Sango had talked and he understood her more than he had before. She was not ready for intimacy today but she would take the `birth control' and she would be his soon. And, she'd allowed him to hug her and lightly kiss her, or at least the sake allowed it. What a wonderful afternoon!
 
It was a shame the sake had influenced her so, but he felt confident that she would gradually allow him hugs and kisses during the coming month even without the alcohol. He sighed contentedly and allowed himself to drift into a daydream starring Sango…naked Sango…
 
A noise roused him from his light doze and he noticed the position of the sun. They'd been sleeping an hour or more. He knew they needed to return to the village since the light was starting to fade from the sky.
 
He reached over and brushed a finger down Sango's nose and over her lips. She sighed and turned her head slightly. He carefully leaned over her face, thinking to wake his sleeping beauty with a kiss, but her eyes opened just before his lips made contact with hers. He dodged her reflex slap and held both her hands down as he grinned down at her wide eyes.
 
“Houshi?” she asked staring into his eyes as her breathing accelerated and she felt a warm tingling sensation run through her body and settle low in her abdomen. Her head was still fuzzy from the sake.
 
Slowly, he lowered his head down to hers, keeping eye contact and only lightly holding her hands. She could stop him if she wanted to…but she didn't seem to want to…
 
Thanking the gods again for the sake, he finally closed his eyes as his lips came in contact with hers…
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Inuyasha stood and shook out his hair. He had gone to his private hot springs after he came back through the well. It was higher up in the hills above the village and few humans could access it. He had sat in the warm cleansing waters for a long time trying to decide how to proceed once he went through the well for Kagome. He felt a lot calmer than he did a couple of hours ago and he'd thought about the situation more thoroughly.
 
He decided again that Kagome would not fuck anyone tonight, even that Houjou boy. Inuyasha fully intended to prevent her from going near the human bastard, but aside from that fact, he still had faith in Kagome not to do something like that unless the guy was a really close friend and she cared for him. Inuyasha knew only Miroku and himself fell into that category, and Miroku didn't count. He liked it that way.
 
He rose from the hot spring and climbed up onto a flat rock where the late afternoon sun could dry his skin and hair. He sat with his knees raised in front of him, his arms loosely resting across them, thinking.
 
He'd always thought that it would be best to wait until Naraku was gone before he mated Kagome because having children would have been dangerous. Now that he knew about the birth control, he didn't see a problem there. Naraku already targeted Kagome even without her being Inuyasha's mate, so they might as well be mates, he thought.
 
Kikyou still being around bothered Kagome too, so that was another reason why he wanted to wait. Kikyou needed to find peace. She hadn't spoken about taking him to hell with her for over three years…not since that confusing few months when she was first reanimated. They had both been confused at that time. She'd seemed so volatile and hateful…so unlike how she had been in life and he had felt such guilt for their lack of trust in each other and also for his feelings for Kagome so soon after losing Kikyou.
 
Sure, for Kaede it had been half a century, but for Inuyasha, just waking from his entrapment on the God Tree, it had seemed like little more than a few weeks since that day...
 
He'd been ready to turn human for Kikyou on the day he thought she betrayed him and pinned him with her arrow. It seemed only a few minutes passed before he woke to see Kagome before him and to hear that Kikyou had been dead for fifty years. He'd learned that Kagome was her reincarnation, he'd begun to have feelings for Kagome, which grew faster and were much deeper than what he had ever felt for Kikyou, and then suddenly Kikyou was back again...it all seemed to happen so quickly.
 
Inuyasha had had over three years now to understand his feelings, both for Kikyou and for Kagome. He had loved Kikyou. His love was based on respect, gratitude, and friendship, but it was love all the same. He would honor that love by protecting her until she was avenged and could find peace.
 
He knew that she didn't have much time left and that her false body was deteriorating. She had told him about it long ago and she had even sought the help of Midoriko's soul to keep her body together long enough to destroy Naraku. She was willing to sacrifice anyone and everyone if that's what it took to remove Naraku's threat forever.
 
Had she been this ruthless in life? Maybe…yes, he thought she might have been. It was necessary to be ruthless when her enemies were bloodthirsty and she was responsible for protecting the jewel. Kikyou had no protector in life, so she had had no choice but to learn how to kill…or be killed by those who sought the power of the jewel. It had taken a year for them to work up to the relationship they had in the end, and even then…he hadn't felt as close to Kikyou after knowing her an entire year as he had felt to Kagome after knowing her only a few weeks.
 
He tried to imagine what Kagome would have been like now if she had been forced to develop her miko powers at an early age and had had the responsibility of protecting the jewel thrust upon her even before adulthood.
 
Would she still be so giving? So compassionate? So accepting of a hanyou like him? Yes, maybe she would, because Kagome had faced and fought evil for almost four years now and it had not made her ruthless. She was unwilling to sacrifice anyone in the fight against Naraku. She would die willingly to save her friends or even a stranger, but she would not allow others to die if she could prevent it. So, no, Kagome could never become as merciless as her enemies.
 
Unlike Kikyou, who stoically repelled everyone and trusted no one, Kagome gathered friends and trusted openly. Kagome wasn't afraid of depending on others and allowing them to see her weaknesses…she trusted them and gained strength from their bonds. And Kagome never shied away from touching him…something Kikyou almost never did while she had been alive.
 
Inuyasha wondered, not for the first time, if Kikyou would have ever truly trusted him even after he became human. It was not in her nature to rely on anyone for anything…he doubted if that would have changed if they had lived as husband and wife.
 
Kagome on the other hand…she had no qualms about relying on him…she let him know she needed him and trusted him…and that wouldn't change if they became mates either if he had anything to do with it.
 
He realized the sun had changed angles in the sky and that it would soon be dark. He jumped up and hurried to dress, thinking about the coming encounter with Kagome. He brushed distractedly at his hair with his claw and straightened his clothing.
 
He was suddenly nervous. Would she listen to him? Would she be angry and reject him? He loved her so very much. She had become a part of him…she was his strength. He could not lose her or he would surely die.
 
He looked anxiously at the sky and noted that the sun was almost down. How much time had he wasted sitting here thinking about Kikyou? He would not be late. Inuyasha ran in the direction of the Bone Eating Well. “The bastard human will not touch her…” he softly growled as he increased his speed and tried not to panic again.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Sango stifled a giggle as she and Miroku heard someone approach. She pulled away from Miroku's kiss and sat up with effort, still feeling the effects of the sake she had consumed. She turned to look in the direction of the noise, swaying slightly. Miroku sat up beside her.
 
In the distance, they could see Inuyasha rushing in the direction of the Bone-Eating Well. After he had passed by without noticing them, Sango commented, “Well, it's about time...wait…I thought he was headed to the well after Sesshoumaru left…”
 
“Maybe he actually took the time to think about what to do before just rushing in and making Kagome-sama angry…or…not…,” he trailed off appreciating the view down the top of Sango's loosened kimono.
 
He pulled her back into a loose hug and rested his chin on the top of her head, promptly forgetting about Inuyasha. He gently placed a kiss on the top of her head.
 
She softly sighed and he lightly brushed the hair from her forehead with his fingers and teased her with, “You are the future mother of my children, Sango, and although we must wait for Naraku's demise before we have those children, when you are ready, I will gladly show you how they are conceived and practice conceiving them with you as often as possible.”
 
She lifted her head and smiled at him mischievously, realizing that perhaps she had drunk too much sake when she blushed and said, “I believe I can teach you a thing or two about conceiving a child, Houshi. Kagome gave me a picture book that reveals everything.”
 
He blushed too. “A picture book?! It shows how to do…that?” He paused for a moment before adding, “Kagome's time has many wondrous things…I will enjoy your lessons any time you are ready to teach me.” And he silently vowed to himself to search her belongings at the first opportunity in order to see that book for himself.
 
He leaned in close for another kiss and they promptly forgot about heading back to the village.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Inuyasha ran toward the well, not even pausing to glance in the direction he could smell Sango and Miroku's aroused scents.
 
`Well, it's about time…,' he thought as he passed.
 
It wasn't quite dark yet and he was almost to the well. It'd be close but he'd make it to Kagome's time and catch her before she went anywhere…he felt sure of it.
 
He burst into the clearing around the well and suddenly skidded to a halt. She was there. He stared at her a moment, at a loss as to what to do.
 
“Kikyou…,” he finally said, as she watched him from where she sat on the lip of the well.
 
Gods! What should he do? She was between him and Kagome…between him and his future…literally. Why did she have to be here now? Fuck!
 
Then she spoke and made him feel guilty and ungrateful for the friendship they'd once had.
 
“Inuyasha…it has been a long time since I have seen you. Have you been well?”
 
Her voice was calm, almost caring, and he felt awkward and embarrassed suddenly…and guilty for mentally comparing his comfort and ease around Kagome with the way that Kikyou made him feel.
 
“I've been okay…what about you?” Gods, why was it so hard to talk to her.
 
“I still walk this earth.”
 
She paused, seeing his agitation at her presence and resenting him for it. “You seemed in a hurry just now. Are you going to her?” she asked, still with no emotion in her voice.
 
He blushed, uncomfortable but determined to be honest, “Yes…it is important that I go see her now…. What do you need, Kikyou?”
 
“It's important that you go see her now…she's important but I am not… Is that what you are telling me, Inuyasha?”
 
Her voice held an edge to it and he grew wary of her despite his guilt.
 
“That's not what I said,” was his only reply.
 
She watched him for a moment, her eyes narrowed, angry. He tried not to flinch under her scrutiny. Finally, she stood and turned from him, walking a little away from the well. He was torn between jumping in the well immediately and listening to what she had to say. He'd just about decided to make a lunge for the well when she spoke again.
 
“The wolf youkai who carried two shards in his legs is dead.”
 
That got his attention. His first reaction was relief that the fucking wolf wouldn't come looking for Kagome anymore. Then he thought about what Kagome would say when she found out. Then he wondered who had the shards now… Shit! Naraku!
 
“We found his body this morning. Naraku's miasma covered the area. I'm sure he has the shards,” she continued as she turned to face him again.
 
“What about Kohaku?” Inuyasha asked. “Is he still safe?”
 
“He is safe at the moment…but Naraku will come for him soon, I believe.”
 
She didn't mention Kagome's shard, but Inuyasha knew that Naraku would come for hers too.
 
Kikyou drew his attention again by reminding him, “The jewel must be complete and in Naraku's hands in order for me to destroy him. He will merge his soul with the jewel and at that moment the jewel must be purified. His body is unimportant; you must destroy it, of course, but unless his soul is destroyed, he will just create a new body. We must all be ready when he completes the jewel. You must come when I call,” she said sternly.
 
“I will not sacrifice Kohaku! There must be another way to destroy Naraku---”
 
“There is no other way! His soul must be destroyed with the completed jewel! We have no choice!” she said angrily.
 
He looked away from her and held his mouth tightly shut.
 
She tried to calm herself again. It was so hard to see him and be reminded of what might have been had Naraku not interfered…
 
“You will do as I ask, Inuyasha. Your life is mine until we destroy Naraku. You promised,” she told him, her voice emotionless again.
 
He thought about arguing with her about Kohaku's fate but knew it would be useless. Instead, he asked something equally important…he asked about his own fate…
 
“I promised to protect you and I will, but…,” he hesitated, afraid to ask but desperate to know, “what about after Naraku is destroyed? What then? Kikyou, do you still…hate me?”
 
He hated to think about what she might attempt after Naraku was destroyed. She was unpredictable now, very different from what she had been in life. He wondered if he would have to protect himself from her, and if it came down to it, how far he would go to keep himself safe from her.
 
Kikyou knew what he wanted to know. He wanted to know if she would try and take him to hell when this was over. She supposed it had been unfair of her to let him think over the years that she might still do that to him. Perhaps this would be the last opportunity to tell him some things she wanted him to know. Naraku could strike any day now…
 
She sighed and answered his question, “Yes…”
 
He hung his head and closed his eyes for a moment. This was not his Kikyou. At this moment, he truly believed it for the first time since she came back from the dead and sadness for her filled his heart…but then she continued speaking.
 
“…and no,” she paused again for a moment. “This false body, created by an evil spell, compels me to hate all living things…including you…. But…I remember loving you, Inuyasha. I remember our love…our lives... What I felt for you was real…never doubt that.”
 
“Kikyou…,” was all he could say, his voice nearly breaking as he saw the truth in her eyes. He clinched his jaw and willed himself not to shed tears for what they had lost so long ago. She was still his Kikyou…and she'd suffered for him.
 
He took a few steps toward her but hesitated when she turned her head and stared into the forest, rather stiffly.
 
She saw him step closer and suddenly feared his embrace. It was so hard to control her emotions with him near.
 
“I've learned to focus my hate on Naraku and the jewel, Inuyasha, but hate taints everything else I feel, even how I feel about you now….”
 
She sighed and looked back at him. She could see the emotions shimmering in his eyes. He said her name again and took another step toward her, but he stopped when she spoke again.
 
“Still…I know our time has long passed. We were fated not to be… I carry many regrets, Inuyasha, but at the end of this journey, taking you to hell will not be one of them. I will find my peace when Naraku is destroyed and you will be free…to find your own,” she concluded.
 
He closed the distance between them and embraced her tightly, saying her name reverently. She allowed it for only a moment before she pulled away abruptly and signaled her soul-gathering youkai to lift her.
 
“But until that time, Inuyasha, your life is still mine. Naraku will make himself known again soon. Do not fail to come when I call,” she commanded as she was carried further away from him.
 
He watched her go, whispering her name one more time, and remembering how he used to listen for her call in the past…when they were both excited to have a friend…and to not feel so alone…
 
Feel so alone? Shit! Kagome!
 
Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Inuyasha could feel his panic rising. He had to catch Kagome before it was too late! He leapt into the well. On the other side he jumped out, fighting to stay calm and hoping he was in time to stop her from leaving with that fucking human boy.
 
He ran across the darkened shrine grounds and bound up onto the roof by her unlit bedroom window, sliding it open. Her scent and that Yuka girl's scent were still fairly fresh, but so was that bastard Houjou's! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! He'd been in her bedroom with her! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!
 
He knew they weren't in the house so he jumped out her window again and ran to the shrine steps, following their scent. It ended at the street by the sidewalk. He ran around in both directions for a few minutes trying to catch her scent but he couldn't find it!
 
They must have gone away in one of those `cars' and he'd never be able to find her now! Damn! Damn! Damn!
 
He ran back up to her bedroom to search for any clue to where she would be. Once in her room, he turned on her overhead light and started rummaging through her desk. He pulled out papers and notes, looking for anything with Houjou's name. Anything… After a few minutes of finding nothing useful, he turned to her nightstand where he accidentally broke her lamp….and her alarm clock…and he couldn't get the drawer to go back in the way it should. He left it on the floor. To hell with it!
 
Next he opened her closet doors and checked her clothing to see what was missing. He caught his breath when he noticed that the new clothes were gone…the little red shirt that had no sleeves and the tiny black skirt that probably showed her `panties' to the world…they were gone. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!
 
Inuyasha knew everything in Kagome's room like it was his own. What else would he do while he waited for her when he came to get her and she was not there? He spent many, many hours alone in her room familiarizing himself with her belongings. He'd been going through her things for years, although he did not tell her about it or ask questions anymore since she would sit him if she knew, and he was careful to leave everything like she had left it usually.
 
Over the years, he had memorized everything in her room, what it was and where it was stored. Whenever anything new appeared, he made a mental note of it and investigated it at his first opportunity.
 
The tiny shirt and skirt appeared a few weeks ago. He'd looked them over and wondered if Kagome really intended to wear such things. They would probably reveal more of her than her `bathing suit' and her whole middle part would be displayed. Why would she dress like that?
 
But then…he knew why…and he felt physically sick about it. Oh, shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!
 
She was looking for a mate…and it wasn't him. Damn! Damn! Damn!
 
He was too late. She was going to be with this Houjou boy. She chose someone else.
 
No! No! No! ….please…no…
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo ~ End Chapter 6 ~ oOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Thank you for reading my story and please remember to leave a review.
 
Author's Notes: A big thank you goes to everyone who left comments and encouragement for me. I greatly appreciate it and I hope you continue to let me know what you think of my story.
 
I apologize again for the lateness of this chapter. You won't have to wait long for the next one.
 
In the manga, Kikyou and Kohaku have been traveling together for a while. Kohaku is basically bait (the jewel shard in his back) for Naraku. If you aren't up to date with the story line, this chapter may not have made sense to you. It all happens in manga chapters 375 - 377 (read them at Ear-Tweak), and that is when Kikyou tells Inuyasha that her body is still damaged from Naraku's miasma. Kohaku starts traveling with her then too. Kohaku visits the graves at his old village with Sango and thinks that he cannot forgive himself for the things he has done. I'm trying to keep everything consistent with what has happened in the manga.
 
And, yes, I know that Sesshoumaru's sword, Toukijin, just broke in the manga, so let's just pretend that he got it fixed…yeah, Toutousai fixed it for him because he likes and admires Sesshoumaru soooo much…yeah, that's it.
 
Shippou is hard for me to write and age is problematic with youkai in the Inuyasha series. On the one hand, Takahashi has said that Inuyasha “acts” like a 15 or 16-year-old boy in the manga. On the other hand, the third movie placed Inuyasha's age at over 200. I'm not sure how long each stage of development lasts for a youkai so I'm not sure how much Shippou would have matured during the last couple of years. On top of that, sometimes he acts really babyish and sometimes he is very wise. He tends to be more childish around Kagome and Sango, and seems older when only around Miroku and Inuyasha. So if Shippou seems out of character, it's because I'm not always sure about his character…if that makes sense.
 
Oh no! Is that Sesshoumaru again? And wait! Is that a slightly dense wolf youkai I hear? Hmmm…you never know who will pop up again…in later chapters.
 
I'll update again within a few days.