Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ Introductions ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Light in the Darkness - part 28: Introductions
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
PAIRING: Pairings? I don't see no pairings here! *whistles innocently*
RATING: G
WARNINGS: None
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters or anything about DBZ, but we both wish we owned the Saiyans. All of them. At least all of the ones with hair. These characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball itself. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic. We just have fun writing it.
SUMMARY: A stranger comes to Chikyuu.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Thanks to saiyengerl for the beta!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Goku felt the ki before he was even completely awake. He tried not to wake Chi-Chi as he quietly got out of bed and got dressed. Before he opened the door he glanced back to see that Chichi was awake and looked worried.
 
"It's okay, Chi," he assured her. "I think I know who it is."
 
Without giving her time to reply he ran to the front door, opening it to see a familiar figure a short way from his house. Goku smiled at her. "I thought you said this would be a wasted trip?"
 
"I decided I was tired of mercenary work for a while. I need a vacation."
 
"Maybe you'll settle here?" he asked.
 
"Maybe." She inclined her head. "Depends on how interesting things get."
 
"It's a nice planet and you could find work here. Maybe Bulma will even give you a job," Goku suggested. "Some of your engine designs should catch her interest."
 
"I don't know, Goku," Hakusai shook her head. "I don't think she could get in touch with my professors for references."
 
Goku chuckled. "You have a point. I'll introduce her to you later anyway."
 
"If you insist. Am I in time for breakfast?" she asked hopefully.
 
"I'll ask Chi-Chi to make us something." Goku frowned as he looked up at the incoming ki. "Oh no. Chi-Chi isn't going to like this."
 
Hakusai groaned. "Is that who I think it is?"
 
"It's Vegeta," Goku acknowledged, watching the sky. "He must have sensed you."
 
"Oh goodie," she remarked wryly, and they waited for the Prince of the Saiyans to arrive.
 
Chi-Chi was irritated by the way Goku had run out on her, and she quickly got up. She didn't have time for more than hastily running a comb through her hair before going downstairs. Not having had time for a shower, she didn't feel particularly clean at the moment.
 
She walked outside to see Goku standing in the front of the house with a tall, dark-haired woman, and she felt a pang of jealousy when she saw how familiar the two seemed to each other. Who was she? How did Goku know her if Chi-Chi didn't?
 
She looked over at her husband. "Well?" she prompted him. "Are you going to introduce us?"
 
"Yes, Goku." Hakusai folded her arms across her chest, doing an unconscious imitation of her younger brother. "Why don't you?"
 
"Oh, this is my wife, Chi-Chi," he said. "This is Hakusai, Chi. We met on Yardrat."
 
"Nice to meet you." Hakusai surprised the other woman by bowing politely. "Goku has told me a lot about you and Gohan while we trained together last year. He says that you are the best cook in the universe."
 
Goku shrugged. "Well, she is." He offered his wife a small smile. "Hakusai may be moving to this planet."
 
Hakusai chuckled. "I never said that. You just don't quit, do you Goku-san?" she asked.
 
Chi-Chi looked her over carefully. "Oh. You're a Saiyan." At Hakusai's arched eyebrow, Chi-Chi shrugged unapologetically. "That's the reaction you're going to get from most people here. Saiyans aren't really all that much liked. Not after the way they keep trying to destroy our planet."
 
Then she seemed to realize she wasn't being particularly polite. "Well, if you'd like some breakfast, you're welcome to join us. But as we've just woken, I haven't made anything yet, so it'll be a little while."
 
"Don't let it bother you," Hakusai said with a shake of her head. "I am used to it, and I don't mind the wait. Especially if you are used to catching your meal first," she said dryly.
 
Goku was about to comment when Vegeta dropped down out of nowhere right in front of them. "Morning, Vegeta," Goku said mildly.
 
This earned him a snort from the other warrior as he looked Hakusai over. "Who the hell are you?" he demanded.
 
"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, didn't he?" she said mildly.
 
"Don't toy with me, woman. I am not in a good mood," he snapped.
 
"Saiyan males are never in a good mood," she replied. "But my name is Hakusai." Kami, he looked exactly like their father.
 
But something was wrong with him. He looked unnaturally pale underneath his olive complexion. "Are you not feeling well, Vegeta?" she asked.
 
"My health is not your concern."
 
"It should be yours. You don't look good," she commented.
 
"You should be concerned with your own health," he snarled at her.
 
"Umm Vegeta..." Goku said, trying to stave off a fight. "Hakusai isn't a threat. She is a friend of mine."
 
Hakusai watched as Vegeta glared at the other man, taking note of his mannerisms. There was something familiar in the way he was acting. She had seen it before, but she couldn't remember where or when.
 
"Stay out of this," he growled as he turned his gaze back to Hakusai.
 
"He is right, Vegeta-san," Hakusai said. "I am here to visit Goku. I met him last year and he invited me to visit." She eyed him carefully. ::What ails you, little brother? I don't know you well, but I know something is wrong.::
 
"Would you like breakfast, Vegeta?" Goku asked. "We were about to eat."
 
"I am not eating with the likes of you!" Vegeta tossed over his shoulder. "As for you, I'll be watching." And with that, the Saiyan took to the air, leaving the group extremely confused.
 
"Something's wrong with Vegeta," Goku said. "I have never seen him act like this."
 
"Hmmm...." Hakusai watched Vegeta's ki trail disappear. "It's probably nothing more than a bad mood."
 
"I hope so." Goku looked over at his wife. "So Chi-Chi, what's for breakfast?" he asked.
 
Chi-Chi surprised him by smiling at him and asking, "What would you like for breakfast, Goku?"
 
Goku blinked a few times. First Vegeta acted odd, now Chi-Chi was doing things that were not normal. At least normal for her.
 
"Umm, how about miso soup?" he asked giving her a sheepish grin. It was what he had been trying to make the day before when he had accidentally caused that mess in the kitchen.
 
Chi-Chi frowned at him. Miso soup? "All right," she said agreeably. "But it'll be a while."
 
She went into the kitchen and began preparing breakfast, leaving the two Saiyans to themselves.
 
~~~*~~~
 
Vegeta was more upset at the fact that a complete stranger had noticed something was wrong with him than he was wtih the fact that her power level was in Goku's league. He flew aimlessly, not paying attention to where he was going, and to his surprise he found himself back at Capsule Corporation.
 
He frowned, wondering why he had ended up here again, when he felt himself being drawn towards Bulma's balcony once again. He landed lightly and concealed himself in the plants when he realized that Bulma was still in her room.
 
That was odd. She was always up by this time and the fact that she was still in bed was a little disturbing. He decided to wait and see what she would do.
 
Bulma remained huddled on her bed for a long time, before she managed to get to the bathroom to get a drink of water. She drank it slowly, holding the glass with a shaky hand, and curled up in the bed again. Her throat still felt swollen, like she had been swallowing something harsh. Her eyes felt puffy and bloodshot. She didn't want to sleep, but she didn't want to face the world, either.
 
Her thoughts were constantly drawn to Vegeta. Everything about him drew her, and had always drawn her. From the way he moved, the way he spoke, his voice, the grace of his movements, the passion in his eyes. She realized that she had even been drawn to his anger. She had feared him at first, because he had tried to kill them, and that fear had changed to anger.
 
She wondered when it was that she had learned to like him. Somehow her entire perception of him had changed this past year, and she didn't know how, or why, or exactly when. But over the past year she had found herself waiting for the rare smiles or compliments he might give, even if they were often very backhanded ones. Like, 'You're not so ugly right now,' or 'Sometimes you aren't too stupid.' For some reason those statements meant more to her than the most lavish praise bestowed upon her, since she knew that for him such comments were grave concessions.
 
She remembered a few days ago, when he had touched her with such passion.... Even if he hadn't said the words, didn't his actions mean he loved her? Maybe? A little? If that was so, then Yamcha must love every girl he met. And prostitutes must love every man who pays them money. No, that didn't mean he loved her.
 
Tears started flowing from her eyes again, silently, causing her throat to close and her nose to clog. She choked on them as the tears ran down her throat, whimpering softly. Why did she have to fall in love with him? The one person who could never love her? First Yamcha, who loved every woman, and then Vegeta, who could love no one. Why did she do this to herself? She closed her eyes and continued to cry.
Vegeta wanted to go to her as she wept into her pillow. He had never seen her like this, and for some strange reason it pained him. He stayed where he was however, knowing she wouldn't be happy to see him. Bulma had made it a point never to cry in front of him. If he went to her now he couldn't predict her reaction. 
Vegeta sighed inwardly, hating himself for his weakness, but despite that he couldn't leave. Even if he couldn't hold her, being near Bulma was comforting. But what he really wanted was to go into her room and snap her out of this depression. 
Vegeta didn't realize he was feeling almost exactly what Bulma was feeling at that moment. If he had, he might have been very close to the answer. But Vegeta did not make a connection, and instead stood helplessly as Bulma cried, unable to help her but unable to move from his position on the balcony. 
 
To be continued.....
~~~*~~~
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness...  A sympathy visit to a sick friend.