Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ A New Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
A Light in the Darkness - part 1: A New Day
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
 
 
PAIRING: Bulma/Vegeta (this part)
RATING: PG for this chapter. NC-17 for the fic as a whole.
WARNINGS: lime at the end of this part, that's all. But later chapters WILL have LOTS of lemon! If you don't want to read lemon, you might not want to get into this.
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters, but we both wish we owned Vegeta. (We do own Vegeta action figures. Does that count?) These characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball itself. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic.
SUMMARY: A Bulma/Vegeta get together. But them getting together is NOT the end of the fic. There's SO much more that we're doing here....
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: A great thank you to Magnes for her beta'ing of this. And an even bigger Thank You to W-chan and Selenity Jade for the re-beta! ^_^
 
NOTES: Yes, I know it's been a long time since I've updated. To be honest, I don't really care for this fic very much anymore. My co-author and I had originally written it not as a fic but as an RPG between two people, because we wanted to have a place where we could write lemon or anything else we felt like without other people in an RPG being offended. I don't really think this writing is my co-author's best, and it certainly isn't my best. There are people who are under the impression that I used to write solely in order to stroke my ego by getting reviews. That is not true. I write to write, and what I've been writing lately, I don't know if I will ever share with anyone other than my closest friends, despite the fact that I believe it's my best work. I've been focusing a lot on Bardock and Radditsu lately, because those are the characters who intrigue me the most. I have been going through this fic and editing and tweaking quite a lot, fixing older chapters and doing my own beta of newer ones, and I will probably post more of it very soon. I'm only doing this because there are many people who have continually asked me to see the end of this story, and I feel bad for them, as I've felt the same way myself about fics that I've loved. I may not care for this fic but others do, and it's for those readers that I post this. It IS finished, it's just a matter of me going through, editing, and cleaning things up. This is especially necessary because my co-author has dyslexia, something I am used to, but it makes her writing rather 'odd' on occasion and I have to fix it.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Dawn, day 1
 
A bright ray of sunlight filtered through the curtains of the bedroom, hitting the Saiyan warrior right in the face. Vegeta grumbled, rolled over, and placed the pillow over his head. It took him a few minutes, but the warrior finally decided he wasn't getting back to sleep, so he swung his legs out of bed and stretched.
 
He hadn't slept well the night before. Something kept nagging at the back of his mind, keeping him awake. He couldn't pinpoint precisely what was bothering him. It could be the fact that after a whole year, Kakarotto had failed to put in an appearance. It also could be the fact that after a whole year of training in 300 gravities, he had yet to achieve the level of a Super Saiyan.
 
Or it may have been that latest quarrel between Bulma and her weak Chikyuu warrior, Yamcha.
 
He scowled as he remembered how their shouting had kept him awake long into the night. Why Bulma put up with that idiot, he had no idea. A Saiyan woman would have killed her mate for less. Especially since the argument seemed to revolve around the fact that Yamcha was dating other women.
 
He snorted and stood. ::It is not my problem.:: He pulled on his body suit and headed downstairs. The Saiyan prince found himself hoping he wouldn't run into Bulma's mother, who would insist that he eat with them.
 
~~~*~~~
 
Bulma awoke with a fuzzy head and aching body. She sat up in bed and glanced blearily at the clock, wincing at the way her head started pounding immediately. Damn! She had only slept for three hours; she had been awake long into the night, even after Yamcha had left, crying broken-heartedly. ::That's it!:: she thought resolutely to herself. ::He has treated me this way once too often. I can't forgive him again. I can't!::
 
She knew she should have never forgiven him any of the prior times, but he had always given her his most charming smile, and she had given in. She knew she shouldn't have, but... there was a part of her that felt she didn't deserve any better.
 
She rolled over, hiding her head underneath her pillow. Last night really had been the final straw. No matter what she had done, she couldn't have deserved how he had treated her last night. They had been on a date - their final one, as far as Bulma was concerned - and after he was an hour late, she decided it was time to call him and find out if he was even coming. Most of the time he forgot about their dates, and never showed up. He had forgotten again, and she was furious about it, but he had apologized profusely, and came over to pick her up right away. They had started the date two hours late... but at least he had shown up.
 
Unfortunately, that was the only good part of their entire date. Once they got to the party, he had spent the entire time flirting with a pretty little co-ed who had recognized him from his picture in the paper. She had gushed over him, the famous baseball player, and Yamcha had spent the whole evening playing the field and ignoring Bulma.
 
When he had dropped her off at home and wanted a good night kiss, she had slapped him, and then they had gotten into a fight over it. He honestly didn't see what he had done wrong. He didn't think it had been that big of a deal that he had flirted with the girl. After all, it had been Bulma he had been with, not her, so Bulma should feel okay, right? He really didn't see that was precisely why she was angry with him. He was out with her; he should have been paying attention to her, not some pretty young thing that came along and gushed over him.
 
Tears leaked from the corners of her eyes. Did she deserve this? He constantly ignored her, made eyes at other girls, and she was convinced he was even seeing other girls. He had moved to the city several years ago, even before he had been killed by Nappa and Vegeta. Was it because it put him closer to new girls? When she had first met him, he had been sweet and innocent, never even looking at another girl. She had known she was his first girlfriend, and had felt proud to have captured his attention like that. She had been attracted to him from the first day they had met, after all, and he hadn't seemed interested in her at first.
 
She wasn't sure what had changed since then. She had lost his interest, she supposed. She didn't know how or why it had happened, but it had. She knew somehow it must have been her fault. The thought made her feel like weeping again.
 
Realizing she wasn't going to be able to return to sleep, Bulma threw off the covers and decided to get out of bed. Although it was still a little dark outside with the sun just starting to peek over the horizon, she took her shower and went downstairs to get something to eat. Maybe a glass of warm milk would get her back to sleep... although she thought maybe she would have a cup of coffee instead, and not worry about going back to bed. She wasn't sure she wanted to sleep right now.
 
She didn't think anyone would be awake yet, it was so early, so was surprised to see a light on in the kitchen. Her mother was never up this early, and the robots didn't need lights. Who could it...?
 
Cautiously she approached the kitchen, wondering if it was an intruder. She didn't think it would be; an intruder wouldn't have stayed in just the kitchen, after all. Suddenly she realized who it must be, and she stopped, not wanting to enter the kitchen. If she was quiet, maybe he wouldn't know she was there. She turned to leave, hoping he hadn't noticed her presence.
 
Vegeta was finishing off his tenth sandwich when a noise on the stairs caught his attention. He almost groaned aloud when he realized who it was. After arguing most of the night, you would think she would have wanted to sleep in. Vegeta walked over to the doorway and watched Bulma turn to go back upstairs. He smirked at her retreating back, debating on whether or not to pretend he didn't see her. But where is the fun in that? The Saiyan prince enjoyed his verbal sparring matches with Bulma, and if she was as cranky as she always was when she didn't get enough sleep, he would get a good argument out of her today.
 
"I am surprised to see you up early this morning," he commented, as he leaned against the doorframe. "After your late night, I figured you would still be in bed."
 
Bulma stopped abruptly, hearing Vegeta's voice. ::I will NOT fight with him! I will NOT fight with him!:: She repeated that mental litany to herself, hoping it would help her keep a rein on her temper. It didn't help that she was still tired from lack of sleep, that her head hurt from all the crying she had done, and that she was absolutely starving. All she had wanted was to get something to eat and maybe have a cup of coffee in peace, and this stupid Saiyan had to go and interfere!
 
She turned around slowly and glared at him, her eyes narrowing in anger. "And what business is it of yours, vegetable head? You only live here, you don't have any business getting involved in my life!"
 
"Only when it wakes me up at 3:00 in the morning." Vegeta scowled at her, secretly pleased with her show of temper. Good. He was going to get a fight out of her today.
 
"Do you have to be so loud, woman?" he asked, cocking his head to the side to study her. "And just think what all that bawling will do to your complexion. You have bags under your eyes."
 
He knew if he made a reference to her looks it would make her absolutely furious. And he really wanted an argument this morning. After all, if she kept him awake all night with her shouting, he wanted to get even.
 
But why did he feel this strange urge to comfort her from her pain? She looked tired, and it disturbed him. He wanted to take her in his arms and protect her from what was bothering her. But instead he taunted her.
 
"And I have never noticed those lines before."
 
"That's because I never had those lines before, you jerk!" she shouted at him. "And you wouldn't have to see them if you would just leave me alone! What does it matter to you what I look like? All you care about is your damned training, anyway! You and Yamcha all the other men, all you care about is training! Well then, train, damn you! But leave me the hell alone!" And with that she stormed past him into the kitchen, intent upon making herself some coffee.
 
Vegeta stifled a chuckle and followed her into the kitchen. "It may surprise you, woman, but I do think about other things."
 
He sat down at the table and watched her. A small smile played at the corner of his mouth. He knew he should leave her alone, but she really was beautiful when she was angry. He blinked and sat straighter in the chair at that particular observation. He wondered briefly where the thought had come from, then he dismissed it as unimportant.
 
"Not much," she muttered in a low growl. "Just training, eating, sleeping, and annoying me. That's all you men are good for. And flirting with other women." Her mouth snapped shut when she realized what had slipped out, and she turned away so he wouldn't see her face get flushed.
 
She continued filling the coffee machine as she snarled at him. "No, that's right. YOU want to kill Goku and take over the world. No, wait, you don't want to simply conquer the world, you want to 'cleanse' it of everyone who already lives here. You would be satisfied with nothing less than killing everyone on this planet. Well, damn you, I'm not going to let you succeed!" And with that she twirled towards him, fists clenching at her sides, her face flushed and eyes sparking with anger.
 
"You forgot to mention that I want immortality, too." He placed his hands on the table, linking his fingers together. "And how do you intend to stop me, woman? Hmm?" He sat back and watched her eyes change from pale blue to a deep sapphire. It always happened when she was angry. She probably wasn't even aware such a change occurred. It was part of the reason he tormented her. At least she was no longer depressed.
 
"Oh that's right, you want immortality," she replied scathingly. "You can't win a fight for real, so you need to cheat by being immortal, is that it? You can't even beat a child on your own merits, so you're going to cheat to do it!"
 
"Cheat?" Vegeta arched a brow at her. "I do not call that cheating. I call that getting the upper hand on your opponents." He smirked at her.
 
"I see," she spat out at him. "And making it so you can't lose isn't cheating?!? Then I don't know what cheating is, I guess! Making yourself immortal is cheating, and if you had any brains you would realize that!"
 
She slapped her coffee mug down on the table, cracking it slightly. Then with a sudden strange urge, she picked it up again and threw it at him with all her strength, spilling coffee on Vegeta, the floor, and the table.
 
Vegeta caught the mug in his hand and brushed a drop of coffee off his nose. She had a point, he realized, and he found it annoying. He just glared at her, refusing to comment on that particular subject, but focused on the fact that she was angry. No, she was furious. She was focusing all of her frustration about Yamcha onto him.
 
"So why do you put up with him, woman?" he asked, placing the cup back on the table.
 
Bulma's breath caught at his question. She knew exactly to whom he was referring, and his implied slight cut right into her heart. How dared he...?!? But then, he was Vegeta, he would dare anything. "And how is it any of your business, cauliflower brain? Why should you care? What business is it of yours?!?"
 
"It just seems to me that a woman of your intelligence would have moved on by now," Vegeta said dryly. "I can't figure out why you stay with him. The only possible explanation is that he pleases you sexually." He tilted his head and smiled. "Although I can't imagine that half-wit knowing what to do with a female."
 
Bulma flushed in embarrassment. The assumption that she and Yamcha were sleeping together was a common one, and Bulma was too embarrassed - and slightly ashamed - to correct that misunderstanding with anyone. To tell anyone he had never slept with her would have been to let everyone know he had never found her desirable enough to want to. At least, that was what Bulma suspected, since whenever she made any moves even hinting in that direction, he practically ran in terror. Yet she knew he flirted with other girls - he did it right in front of her! - and she was certain he slept with more than a few of them.
 
She thought maybe she was no longer attractive to him. She was growing older, after all, and he did seem to prefer making time with the 'pretty young things' they always ran into. She suspected he had been getting tired of her for a long time, and he simply didn't know how to tell her.
 
Once again, her feelings of low self-worth threatened to reach up through her throat and choke her. She turned away from Vegeta, and leaned heavily on the palms of her hands on the kitchen counter.
 
"Whether he does or he doesn't is none of your concern," she muttered, her voice barely audible, "and I'd appreciate it if you'd mind your own damned business about that. Maybe on Vegeta-sei everyone's sex lives were commonly bantered about, but that's not the way it works on Chikyuu." She felt herself choking on the feelings of undesirability and unlovableness that swept through her, and sudden tears stung her eyes.
 
"Just go away, Vegeta," she muttered, her shoulders slumping. "You don't give a damn about me or anyone else, so just go away and leave me alone."
 
Vegeta frowned. Now what? His first impulse was simply to leave, but something in her tone made him want to stay. Her mood swings were confusing, and he was sure he would never understand her. But that didn't keep him from trying.
 
"If he hurts you that much, you should get rid of him," he said flatly. He stood up and moved behind her, very tempted to hold her.
 
"That is NOT your business!" she shouted in frustration, and spun on her heel, intending to round on him in a fury. Her breath came out in a strangled gasp when she discovered how close he was to her, almost right up against her. She hadn't even heard him move; he had somehow managed to sneak right behind her without her noticing. Of course he would, she realized. He could hear better than a human could, so he could learn to move more quietly. And of course he just loved intimidating her!
 
For some reason she could feel her heart pounding loudly in her ears, and wondered if he could hear it too. She felt his breath on her cheek and she started to tremble. His chest was almost touching hers, his face was only inches from her own.
 
She suddenly became incapable of thought.
 
To Be Continued...
~~~*~~~
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness... the seduction.
~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~
Normally I put my review responses here. Yes, I read every review I get, and I try to answer them if possible. ^_^ So if you review, I will read it, and I will reply to it. ^_^
And yes, I know this chapter and the next few are short. I had thought people would prefer shorter chapters, and I was wrong. Later chapters are a bit longer, but the first ones are pretty short.