Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ Vegeta vs. Chi-Chi! ( Chapter 74 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Light in the Darkness - Part 74: Vegeta vs. Chi-Chi!
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
 
PAIRING: Yamcha/Hakusai, Bulma/Vegeta, Goku/Chi-Chi
RATING: G
WARNINGS: none
C&C: Please! ^_^
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters or anything about DBZ, but we both wish we owned the Saiyans. All of them. At least all of the ones with hair. And yes, we're including Yamcha and Ryouga in that, now you know. Dragonball Z and the associated characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. Ranma 1/2 and the character of Ryouga Hibiki are owned by Viz, Rumiko Takahashi, and some Japanese studio I don't know the name of. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball or Ranma 1/2 themselves. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic. We just have fun writing it. Oh, I guess we do own Hakusai and Serori. But I doubt anyone cares. ^_~
SUMMARY: Vegeta vs. Chi-Chi - the fight of the century! ^_^
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Thank you to Lady Lark, Selenity Jade and W-chan, for the beta.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Yamcha stroked Hakusai's cheek gently, feeling the wetness of the tears still lingering on her face. “I'm sorry,” he said softly. “I'm so sorry you lost him like that.” He was silent, suddenly realizing that if Shinjo had still been alive, then he and Hakusai wouldn't have bonded. Or would they? Would it have been a one-way bond, all on his side? Would he have been the one to go through an unreciprocated bond?
 
He didn't know what to think about it. He wondered if things happened because they were supposed to for some reason. “Maybe...” he said slowly. “Maybe it was supposed to happen that way. Maybe things happen because they have to happen.” He paused. He didn't want to sound selfish, but he was suddenly terrified at the idea of losing Hakusai. “I don't want to lose you,” he murmured. “I don't know what it would be like without you. I don't even want to think about it,” he admitted.
 
“You aren't going to lose me.” Hakusai shifted closer to him. “I am not going anywhere.” She returned his embrace and sighed. “I am sorry I had to tell you. I did not know Kabu is your mother.”
 
Yamcha's arms tightened around her waist, and he remained silent for a moment. “My mother killed your husband,” he said softly. “Or one of her soldiers did, and you hate her for it. I think I understand, love. I wish it hadn't happened, but I understand why you would hate her for it.” He closed his eyes and swallowed again. “I just wish... I just wish I could hate her as well. But I don't. No matter what happened, I love her, and I know she loved me.”
 
“How can you love someone who abandoned you?” She shook her head. “Never mind, it is not my place to ask you. It would be like you trying to understand why I want my brother to accept me, especially after knowing him the way you do.”
 
“She abandoned me because she thought she had to, in order to protect me, I think. But I know she loved me because she said she did. She even kept an eye on me. You didn't know that, did you?” He smiled slightly. “When she finally left Chikyuu she left a recording for me. And she told me that she loved me. I just wish I had gotten to see her again before she left. Because now she's dead, and it's too late....”
 
“I don't think she is dead,” Hakusai interrupted suddenly.
 
“Huh?” Yamcha pulled back and looked at Hakusai, startled. “But I thought... if she went up against Frieza, you guys said she was probably dead. Why do you think she's not?” he asked in astonishment.
 
“Although I never saw your mother again, some of her people dropped by on Kassan from time to time.” She shrugged. “If she had gone up against Frieza we would have stopped seeing her troops, don't you think?”
 
Yamcha stared at her a few seconds before nodding. “Yeah, I guess so. If they had gone up against Frieza they would all be dead. So you think she might be alive?” His eyes lit up at the thought of seeing his adored mother again.
 
Hakusai nodded thoughtfully. “It has been a year since I have been back home, but I saw a few of her people wandering around on Kassan before I left for Yardrat. After that, I ran into Goku, who told me he had defeated Frieza. So they hadn't attacked him yet.”
 
Yamcha just stared blankly at her. “Do they know he's dead? Or are they still training to defeat him?”
 
Hakusai shrugged. “Depends on how often they went back to Kassan after I left. I did talk to one or two of her people. They spent most of their time preparing, training out on the planets Frieza had no control over. So I suspect they do not know.”
 
Yamcha stared thoughtfully into the distance. “I wonder if we can still find her. If they're still out there training....” He glanced down at Hakusai and blushed. “I'm sorry. Maybe it would be better if we don't try. I mean, the universe is a big place, we probably couldn't find them even if we did try. So maybe....” He shrugged in embarrassment. “We're probably better off not trying.”
 
“Well, there are places to start if you want to look for her,” Hakusai said after a moment. “The best place to start would be on Kassan. Her people make regular stops there. We could ask one of them where she is. I am sure they would tell me.”
 
Yamcha shook his head slowly. “No. I think it would be better if we don't.” Although he wanted to find his mother again, he didn't want to put Hakusai through that pain. He knew he couldn't leave her; their bond would cause both of them too much pain, and Yamcha wasn't going to risk it with Hakusai being pregnant. And yet he couldn't put her through seeing Kabu again.
 
“No, we won't look for her.” He stroked her back, pulling her close to him again. “But... would you mind terribly watching the hologram she made for me? I know you don't really want to watch it, but it would mean a lot to me if you could see what she said about me.”
 
She sighed inwardly. She had offered to take Yamcha to his mother, not really wanting to. She had no desire to see Kabu again, but he looked so happy at the thought that Kabu could be alive that she had made the offer. She sighed.
 
“All right. For you, I will watch.” She closed her eyes and snuggled against him. It wouldn't change anything, she was sure, but for Yamcha she would do anything.
 
He smiled at her, his face brightening in his delight. “Thank you. Come on then!” He stood up, lifting her with him, and set her on her feet. When they reached the lab, they saw Ryouga leaning forward, staring at a frozen holographic image of their mother. He was crying, trying to touch the image that was frozen in the air. He seemed unaware of anything around them.
 
Vegeta shot Hakusai a swift glance, his eyes narrowed as he studied her carefully. She seemed all right, but he wasn't entirely sure about it. He decided to watch her and make sure there really was nothing wrong. He didn't know why he even cared, but decided not to think about it for a while.
 
Bulma looked relieved to see them together, especially since they were holding hands and looking intimate. The expression on Hakusai's face was somewhat closed and Bulma didn't know what to make of it. She looked from one to the other. “Are you okay?” she asked quietly.
 
Yamcha glanced down at Hakusai and nodded. “Yeah,” he said softly, his face gentling as he looked at his mate. “I think so. Hakusai...?”
 
Hakusai gave him a weak smile. “I have had better days. Let's just get this over with. Quite frankly, I would rather have my intestines pulled out.”
 
Yamcha looked startled, and Bulma's eyes were hooded. “You just might change your mind...” she said cryptically. She looked at where Ryouga seemed intent on embracing the hologram. “Ryouga, dear,” she murmured softly to him. “It's not any good. She's not really there, you know.” She led him away from it and sat him down in a chair before going back to the computer. “All right, let's start it....”
 
Hakusai sighed and sat down, feeling as if she were going to her own execution. She really didn't want to see the woman who had caused her so much pain. She watched it only half-heartedly, but as she watched she noticed there were a few changes that occurred in his mother, and her expression softened somewhat. When Kabu stated that she loved Yamcha, she reached for his hand. “Well, I'll be...”
 
“Hmmm...?” Yamcha looked down at Hakusai, startled. He was surprised by the look on her face. It was as though she had seen something she hadn't expected as she watched the hologram, looking somewhat shocked. “Hakusai? Is something wrong?” He looked concerned, as he saw moisture leaking from her eyes. He knew she had been upset earlier, and wondered if this had upset her again.
 
“No.” She shook her head. “But I do have the world's worst headache. I think I need to lie down.” Hakusai smiled to reassure him. “I just....” She swallowed. “I have a lot I need to think about. Maybe I'll take a walk instead.” She stood up. “Sorry for earlier, Bulma. I have met Kabu before. We are not friends. I was... more than surprised.” She hugged herself, emotions in turmoil. “It's hard to believe she produced Yamcha. Must be his human half.”
 
“I wouldn't be so certain,” Bulma replied, her eyes still hooded. “You read her journal. You saw the recording. Do you really think she's so heartless?”
 
“You don't know her like I do.” Hakusai sighed at Yamcha's expression. “Some things are harder to accept than others. I saw her after she made this.”
 
Yamcha looked up from Hakusai, towards the frozen holographic image from where the recording ended. “Yes, but... maybe... maybe we need to talk to her to see what she's like.” He shook his head sadly. “Not that it matters. Even though you say she's still alive, it would be hard to find her. And we have things we have to do first.”
 
Bulma looked startled. “She's alive? I thought Vegeta said she was dead.”
 
Yamcha shook his head. “They thought she was, if she went against Frieza. But Hakusai says she hasn't attacked him yet, that she's been to Kassan a lot to try to recruit Hakusai. So my mother is still alive.”
 
Bulma stared at the Saiyan woman. She sensed Hakusai wasn't happy, but also sensed this might be important to Yamcha. She glanced at Vegeta; she, too, had her reasons to be reluctant to seek out Kabu. She didn't want to explain it to them yet, though. How could she explain to Vegeta that she was afraid he would leave her? She knew he would scoff; he had scoffed before, and she didn't want him to ridicule her again.
 
“Yes,” she conceded. “There are other things we do need to worry about first. Like finding your other brother.” She smiled wanly.
 
Yamcha nodded eagerly, and then to his embarrassment, his stomach decided to pick that moment to growl loudly. He blushed slightly as Bulma laughed. “I can see you Saiyans need another feeding,” she said teasingly. “Why don't you go inside while I get some work done? And then maybe you should train for a while. The Budokai is tomorrow, you know!”
 
Yamcha glanced at Hakusai's pale face, and shook his head slightly. “I think Hakusai needs to rest. Or go somewhere. Do you mind if we take some food and go somewhere else?”
 
Bulma smiled and pulled a capsule out of one of her cabinet drawers. “Here's one of the portable food dispensers. Just remember that it isn't unlimited. It doesn't have the resources of the others. But you can borrow it for right now.” Yamcha closed his fist around it, but continued to stare at Bulma in confusion, and she waved her hands at him in a shooing motion. “Go! Go!” She ushered them from the room impatiently. Even though she had only a tiny fraction of the ki of either of them, both Saiyans felt intimidated enough to back out of the lab hurriedly.
 
When they were gone, Bulma turned to the others and eyed them critically. “Gohan, why don't you go with Ryouga and train him some more? Vegeta, maybe you can find Goku and get him to join you. I'm sure he won't mind helping you destroy the countryside. You'll just have to get him away from Chi-Chi. And that might be your biggest battle of the day! But I have work to do, and now that that's out of the way, I need some peace so I can get my work done. Now scat!”
 
Vegeta rolled his eyes at Bulma's command. First she couldn't wait to get them all in there. Now she wanted them out of her way. Humans. They were all insane.
 
“I am surprised you sent them off,” Vegeta said, arching a brow at her. “I thought for sure you'd want to go and find Yamcha's mother.”
 
“I'm not sure I want to put Hakusai through that, not at this point. Yamcha's right - we will have plenty of time to look for her later. It's not like Kabu will be able to get herself killed going up against Frieza anymore.”
 
Vegeta shrugged. “Whatever. I imagine they won't be going anywhere soon. Gohan!” The little boy looked up at him expectantly. “Bring Ryouga and let's get moving. We have wasted enough time today.”
 
Gohan smiled up at Vegeta. “All right, Vegeta-sensei. Are we going to go get my daddy? Should we find Piccolo-sensei, too?” He had missed his Namekian friend. The Namek had stayed far away from the Son house ever since their return to Chikyuu. Gohan didn't know if he was all right or not, but had sensed his ki on occasion, so knew he was at least alive. He did miss training with him, though, and talking to him.
 
“Who's Piccolo?” Ryouga asked, his brow furrowing. “Is that another Saiyan?”
 
Vegeta rolled his eyes. “Piccolo is his green, bald-headed friend,” he replied jerking his thumb towards Gohan. “And no, he is not Saiyan.”
 
Bulma sighed. “No, he's not a Saiyan. He's a Namek. Which is yet another kind of alien.” At Ryouga's startled expression, she smiled slightly. “There are a lot more aliens on Chikyuu than most people realize. An amazing number of people tend to be fairly blind at noticing things like that. The Nameks are plants, at least biologically. Piccolo trained Gohan and he's very strong.” She looked at her husband. “It's up to you if you want to find him or not. But he might actually give you a `challenge' at the Budokai,” she added slyly.
 
“At least he has more intelligence than Kakarotto,” Vegeta admitted. “Come on, brat; let's go find your father.”
 
Gohan ignored Vegeta's gruffness and simply smiled at him. He had gotten used to the surly Saiyan's ways in the past year, and didn't take his grouchiness as seriously as he might once have. He knew, from Piccolo, that a hard outer exterior sometimes covered a softer interior.
 
“OK, Vegeta-sensei!” he agreed, as he grabbed Ryouga's hand and dragged the other boy out the door. Ryouga was too surprised to react to it, and was simply dragged helplessly in the air as Gohan flew towards his home.
 
Vegeta smirked at Gohan's enthusiasm as he followed them. At least the boy acted Saiyan, unlike his idiot father. Judging by the direction that Gohan was heading, Vegeta knew they were heading towards Kakarotto's. The warrior groaned inwardly. Kakarotto was bad enough, but it was his bad-tempered mate that Vegeta really couldn't stand. Why did Kakarot let her push him around like that? he wondered as they touched down in front of the Sons' home.
 
“Daddy!” Gohan called out, hoping to find his father at home. “Come on, Daddy! We need to train for the Budokai tomorrow!”
 
“Budokai!” Chi-Chi came out of the house, wiping her hands on her apron. Her face was covered in a scowl. “And what do you think you're doing, entering a tournament like that! You could get hurt! Not to mention that it will take your attention away from your studies! Young man....”
 
Gohan almost seemed to shrink in slightly, as Chi-Chi lit into him. He hadn't really thought about the fact that he needed to study. It was his vacation, after all. The idea of getting hurt didn't bother him. Getting hurt was part of the business. It was supposed to happen, and he didn't mind it at all.
 
“But Mom....”
 
Goku came out of the house, smiling at Gohan. “Hello there, Gohan. I see you brought a few friends along.” Vegeta snorted at the comment, glaring at Goku, but remained silent. Some things weren't even worth replying to. “Chi, he'll be okay.” Goku put one of his hands on his wife's shoulder. “After all, he is stronger than most kids his age.”
 
Chi-Chi's face darkened dangerously. “And YOU...!
 
Her face continued to darken, and they could all feel her ki rise. Although her ki wasn't anywhere close to Goku's or Vegeta's - or even Ryouga's - it was stronger than that of most humans. And for some reason it was more intimidating than most. Even more frightening than Vegeta's, although it was hard to say why.
 
“I don't see you setting a good example for Gohan! I don't want him becoming a good-for-nothing fighter like his father! I want him to grow up to be something! I want him to make something of himself!”
 
Ryouga looked at her in confusion. “If you think Goku's a good-for-nothing fighter, why did you marry him?”
 
Chi-Chi glared at this newcomer, her eyes narrowing. She studied him quickly, her glance settling on the tail behind him. “Another Saiyan? Don't tell me, he's come to help you conquer Chikyuu!” she accused Vegeta.
 
Vegeta rolled his eyes. “I don't need help to conquer this miserable planet of yours,” he told her.
 
Goku was getting nervous, he didn't like what he was feeling in his wife's and Vegeta's ki energies. Determined to stave off a fight before it began, Goku slipped both of his arms around Chi-Chi's waist, startling her with the sudden contact. “Actually, Ryouga is Yamcha's half-brother.”
 
“Yamcha's half brother?” Chi-Chi was startled by that, but confused. “What does that have to do with him being a Saiyan? Or....” Her eyes widened in sudden understanding. “Or did some Saiyan attack Yamcha's mother, and she had him? Or did Yamcha's father marry a Saiyan? Wait! I thought the Saiyans died out a long time ago, right after you came to Chikyuu! How could this boy be here?”
 
“Yamcha is half-Saiyan,” Vegeta said, smirking at her shocked expression.
 
Goku sighed. “Umm hmm, I think his mother was the one that was Saiyan. And she abandoned him.”
 
Chi-Chi pulled out of her husband's embrace, and stared at the two Saiyans in shock. “When did you find out about this, Goku?” she asked her husband, her eyes narrowing.
 
Goku put one hand behind his head, smiling sheepishly. “Um... a few days ago. I think.”
 
Chi-Chi continued to stare at him. “And you're only telling me now?!? One of your oldest friends is a Saiyan, and it didn't occur to you that I might want to know?!?”
 
“It didn't seem important at the time, Chi,” Goku said, giving her his most charming smile. “He has another brother, Ryouga's twin. We think he may be at the Budokai, so we need everyone there so we can look for him.”
 
“There are more Saiyans running around, and you didn't think it was important?!?” Chi-Chi knew Goku was slow, but this was ridiculous. “Goku, the last Saiyans we met tried to destroy the planet! The one that's still around wants to kill you! I think that's more than a little important!” She was shouting now, and didn't care that the others were around.
 
Gohan stared at the ground, feeling miserable. It was his fault that his parents were fighting. If he hadn't wanted to go to the Budokai, his mother wouldn't be angry with his father and they wouldn't be fighting again. He knew their fights were all his fault, and he had to do something to fix it.
 
“I'm sorry, Mommy,” he said, suddenly interrupting them. “I'll study. I promise. I won't go to the Budokai, and I won't fight, just please don't yell at Daddy anymore....”
 
Goku looked over to his son and gave him a reassuring smile. “It's okay; we are going to the Budokai tomorrow.” He looked back over to see Chi-Chi about to launch into another tirade, and he held up a hand to stop her. “Chi, Ryouga was raised here; he doesn't want to destroy anyone. Most likely his brother will be the same way. You have known Yamcha most of your life and does he want to take over the world?” Goku shook his head, still smiling. “It will mean a lot to Ryouga and Yamcha when we find their other brother. So I need Gohan to go with us. Maybe you should come, too.”
 
Chi-Chi glared at Goku. She wasn't really in the mood to listen to someone being rational, particularly someone known for being dense, like her husband. “I don't care about anyone's brother!” she shouted at him. “The only thing that matters to me is Gohan's future! How can he have a future if you keep dragging him off to fight like this? I want my son to have a future!”
 
Vegeta laughed. “Woman, you are going to kill that kid. You know that, don't you? Telling him not to fight is the cruelest thing you can do to him. Yes, he is half human, but his Saiyan half is more dominant, whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have married a Saiyan.”
 
“Umm, Vegeta....” Goku put his hand to the back of his head. “That isn't exactly true.”
 
“No?” Vegeta smirked. “That kid will find ways to fight without her knowing. I am sure he trains on his own anyway. So, woman,” he said placing his hands on his hips. “Do you want to let the kid train and know what he is doing, or are you going to force him to keeping training on his own and one day hurt himself?”
 
Chi-Chi turned and glared at Vegeta. She was one of the few people not entirely intimidated by him, but she was intimidated a little. “This is NONE of your business!” she shouted at him. “And you're wrong! MY Gohan would NEVER do a thing like that! He would NEVER sneak away without my knowing and do something that I've told him not to!”
 
Gohan looked up at his mother uncomfortably. The truth was, while Goku had been gone, he often had sneaked away to train or to play with Hiya Dragon, even though she had expressly forbidden him to do both. It was simply something he had to do. He knew Vegeta was aware he had done this, too. He had assumed as much, when he had seen the new attacks Gohan had come up with. Like the Masenko. He didn't want to say anything though, and disappoint his mother. He hoped somehow he wouldn't have to let her know.
 
“Oh, is that so?” Vegeta asked, not in the least bit concerned by her tirade. “Then tell me, woman, why has his power level increased and did not stagnate like it would have if he hadn't been training on a daily basis?” he asked. “While he was staying at Capsule Corporation he showed me a few attacks that he did not know when we were on Namek.” He smirked at her. “He does sneak away, and he will continue to do so. Get used to it.”
 
Gohan stared at Vegeta in horror. He had hoped Vegeta wouldn't say anything to his mother. Chi-Chi in turn was staring in horror at Gohan. “Is this true?” she whispered, tears in her voice. “Have you been sneaking off like that?” Gohan nodded miserably and the tears began to well up in Chi-Chi's eyes. “You've been lying to me? Your own mother? How could you?!?”
 
She turned then, running into the house, sobbing loudly. Gohan simply stared after her helplessly, not sure what to say or do, but feeling that somehow everything had to be all his fault.
 
Goku shook his head as he watched Chi-Chi go. One way or another he had to make her understand that this was part of what he and Gohan were. They needed to train, it was in their blood. “Gohan. It's alright.” The big man squatted down in front of his son and placed his hands on the boy's shoulders. “I'll make your mom understand.”
 
“It's my fault, Daddy,” Gohan said, misery threading his voice. “I shouldn't have lied to her. I should have stayed home and studied. I just... I just wanted to be able to play with Hiya Dragon. And be able to practice. I want to be as strong as you someday, Daddy. As strong as you and Piccolo-sensei!”
 
“It will be all right, Gohan. I'll make sure she allows you to train.” Goku brushed his son's bangs out of his eyes. “It's not your fault.”
 
Gohan studied the ground as though it was the most fascinating subject in the world suddenly. “But Daddy, I....” He wanted to say that he knew it was his fault, but then simply nodded. “All right, Daddy. You're going to stay home, then?” He looked up at his father, hope warring against longing on his face. He missed his father, and wanted to train with him, but hoped that his father could somehow make everything all right with his mother, too.
 
“I am going to settle things with your mother, then I will catch up.” Goku smiled at Gohan reassuringly. “Just go to our usual spot. I'll meet you there. Alright?”
 
Gohan nodded, then automatically turned towards Vegeta, as though looking to him for leadership. “Vegeta-sensei...?” he asked, sounding a little hesitant suddenly.
 
To everyone's surprise, Vegeta dropped his hand down on Gohan's shoulder. “Come on brat, let your parents make up. The sooner they do, the more time I have to beat the crap out of your father.”
 
Gohan gave a watery smile. He didn't think Vegeta was as serious about the `I'm going to kill Kakarotto' thing as everyone seemed to believe. He felt that, like with Piccolo, deep inside Vegeta was nicer than he seemed. “OK, Vegeta-sensei!” he said, taking Ryouga's hand again and launching himself into the air. The three of them headed for their usual sparring spot to begin training.
 
 
To be continued.....
~~~~~*~~~~~
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness... Vegeta vs. Piccolo
Ok, I'll admit it, the "fight" vs. Chi-Chi wasn't a real fight. I was just kidding about that. ^_^ The next chapter IS a real fight though, count on it. Piccolo isn't someone who will run away because his kid didn't do what he expected....