Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ Ryouga’s Nemesis ( Chapter 81 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Light in the Darkness - Part 81: Ryouga's Nemesis
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
 
PAIRING: None
RATING: PG-13
WARNINGS: none
C&C: Please! ^_^
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters or anything about DBZ, but we both wish we owned the Saiyans. All of them. At least all of the ones with hair. And yes, we're including Yamcha and Ryouga in that, now you know. Dragonball Z and the associated characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. Ranma 1/2 and the characters of Ranma Saotome and Ryouga Hibiki are owned by Viz, Rumiko Takahashi, and some Japanese studio I don't know the name of. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball or Ranma 1/2 themselves. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic. We just have fun writing it. Oh, I guess we do own Hakusai and Serori. But I doubt anyone cares. ^_~
SUMMARY: Ryouga encounters an old enemy, and undergoes a transformation.
NOTES: The rest of this story is completely unbeta'd, as I can't seem to find a beta who will be as brutal or thorough as I like, and will get me chapters back in what I feel is a timely manner. I have, however, had training as an editor, and I've edited the remainder of this pretty thoroughly. I would simply like people to be aware that no one else has gone through it to catch any errors or inconsistencies, so it may be more flawed than I realize.
NOTICE: I will be posting updates to this story every Tuesday and Saturday. If I miss a day for whatever reason (no internet connection, out of town, etc.) I will NOT be posting a day or two later. Instead, that day will simply be missed. This will make things easier on me and easier on my readers to know what days they can check here at Media Miner. The time of day may vary, of course, depending on what time I get on my computer.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Bulma smiled when she saw the men exiting the exhibit hall. “There they are!” she said excitedly, and began weaving her way down the stands and through the crowds. When she got to them she stopped, staring at Vegeta, her face softening. She wasn't sure if she should hug him the way she wanted to, or if he would get angry. She knew he didn't like public displays of affection so wasn't sure what to do.
 
::It's nice to see you too, woman,:: he thought to her privately. ::That was a complete waste of time. And these morons have the nerve to call themselves fighters.::
 
Hakusai had no qualms about public affection and wrapped her arms around Yamcha's waist. “So did you make it?”
 
Bulma simply smiled at Vegeta, still wanting to hug him, but knowing he wouldn't like that. She sighed, then moved slightly away. “So I assume you all made it in?”
 
“Of course!” Yamcha blinked in surprise. “Tenshinhan and Krillin are really the only ones we're going to have to worry about. I didn't see Piccolo in there, but he doesn't think very much of the Budokai. He only entered that one time so he could kill Goku.”
 
“Piccolo?” Hakusai looked up. “Oh, the Namek? Why did he want to kill you?” she asked Goku.
 
Goku shrugged. “Long story.”
 
“Too long to discuss now.” Vegeta didn't know the story, but he didn't really care. “Let's find Ryouga and the brats. We should see if they had any more luck than we did.” Vegeta was slightly disappointed that Bulma had not hugged him the way Hakusai had greeted Yamcha.
 
Bulma was about to reply when they were interrupted by several loud shouts, as the `brats' in question tumbled out of the exhibition hall, dragging Ryouga along behind them. He looked angry about something, but the adults had no idea what it was. Gohan giggled as they reached the adult Saiyans.
 
“Ryouga's mad `cause he couldn't fight someone we saw in there. He wanted to fight him now, but the referee said it would disqualify both of `em!”
 
Bulma blinked in surprise. “Who did you want to fight?” she asked the boy curiously.
 
Ryouga's eyes were flashing fire, and his fangs glinted when he drew his lips back in a snarl. “Ranma Saotome is my greatest enemy! I'm going to kill him for what he's done to me!”
 
Yamcha blinked. “What exactly did he do?”
 
“Must've have been something awful if you are that mad about it,” Goku said, placing a calming hand on the boy's shoulder. “What happened?”
 
Ryouga blushed abruptly. He didn't want them to know his greatest shame. “Ah... nothing I can talk about,” he muttered, almost inaudibly. “But I will get revenge!”
 
Yamcha blinked at the vehemence in Ryouga's voice. “Well, if he's wronged you so badly, then he's wronged me as well. We are brothers, no?”
 
Ryouga gaped at him in surprise. He hadn't realized Yamcha would trust him so implicitly like that. No one had ever believed in him that way, not since... not since.... He shied away from that thought.
 
“It's a matter of honor,” he said instead.
 
Bulma shrugged. She thought men made far too much of their `honor' all the time. “Well, you'll probably fight him in the Budokai. Unless he's in the adults section?”
 
Ryouga shook his head. “No, he's in our section. He's the same age as me.” He turned away then, and missed the significant glance Bulma and Vegeta shot each other at that statement.
 
“Same age?” Vegeta asked, eyes narrowing. “Is that so?”
 
Bulma looked at the boy thoughtfully. “Ryouga? Have you known this... Ranma, long?”
 
Ryouga shrugged. “All my life, pretty much. We used to be friends when we were kids. And then he broke a promise. And then....”
 
He still couldn't speak of the curse. It was all Ranma's fault, of course. If he hadn't followed Ranma to make him keep his promise, he wouldn't have gone to Jusenkyo. If he hadn't gone there, Ranma wouldn't have knocked him into the spring. It was his fault, and Ranma would pay!
 
Yamcha patted his shoulder. “Don't worry,” he said reassuringly. “We'll help you.”
 
Bulma was giving both of them an odd look. “Yes, we'll help you, Ryouga. In whatever manner is necessary.” She wondered if they would have to get this Ranma in the tank to activate his DNA. She would have to make certain she got a blood sample from him.
 
::Are you thinking what I think you are thinking?:: Vegeta sent to Bulma privately. ::It would be too easy. Especially if they knew each other.::
 
::It would,:: Bulma agreed. ::But we can't assume anything. Just because they're the same age and they know each other, it doesn't mean this Ranma is his brother. We don't even know what he looks like yet.::
 
Vegeta silently agreed with Bulma. “Do the younger competitors fight before the adults, or after?” he asked aloud.
 
Goku shrugged. “They didn't have them divided up before. So I fought with the older fighters when I was a child.”
 
“You are still a child,” Vegeta grumbled.
 
Bulma shrugged. She hadn't been to a Budokai in a long time. None of them had. The last Budokai they had been to, there hadn't been a children's section. This had been a new addition at the last Budokai, and they hadn't gone to that one.
 
“We'll find out, I guess. Let's go to the fighters' quarters. Hakusai can stay with the adult fighters and tend them, and I'll stay with the children.” Bulma shot Vegeta a glance. ::I'm sorry, anata. But I think I want to find out about this `Ranma'.::
 
Hakusai grinned. “Sure, I'd like to play nursemaid to handsome sweaty men.”
 
::You will make up for this later,:: Vegeta told her. ::I wanted you there.::
 
“I think the adult tournament doesn't start until after the children's division,” Goku said. “That way we get to see Ryouga fight this Ranma. And I get to see how well Gohan does.”
 
::I know, Vegeta. I wanted to be there. But I'm not sure I want to tell Hakusai or Yamcha... or especially Ryouga... my suspicions yet.:: She walked over to Vegeta and took his hand briefly, squeezing it lightly. Tenshinhan stared in shock at the obvious - if subtle - show of affection between them. ::I'm sorry. I will make it up to you, I promise.::
 
Vegeta squeezed her fingers lightly in reply. ::You better believe you will make it up to me.:: He stepped away from her, and his expression softened for an instant, then returned to his normal scowl. “Have fun,” he remarked.
 
Bulma laughed at that comment. “Oh sure. I'm going to have fun playing nursemaid to a bunch of children. I think I envy Hakusai's job!” ::Don't worry, Vegeta. I'll make sure I don't miss your fights!:: She tried to convey all the love she felt for him in her thoughts. She turned to Gohan and the other two younger Saiyans. “Come on, then. Let's go.”
 
Gohan laughed and grabbed Ryouga's and Serori's hands, and they ran towards the children's waiting area. Bulma sighed, glancing wistfully back at the adults, wondering if maybe she should have just told Hakusai her suspicions and then switched places. But then, she didn't trust anyone else to do what she felt might need to be done. If Ranma really was Ryouga's brother, and Ryouga hated him as much as he seemed to, Bulma wasn't sure what could be done or how they would deal with it.
 
Well, she would worry about that when she got there. Somehow she was going to have to get them to see reason. This was too important to Yamcha for it not to work out. But... what could this boy have done to Ryouga, to make Ryouga hate him so? If he was that bad of a person, should they even let him know what he really was?
 
It was with these conflicting thoughts and trepidations that Bulma followed the three young Saiyans slowly to the children's waiting area, away from her friends and family.
 
Vegeta folded his arms across his chest and watched as Bulma and the children walked off. Goku smiled. “This is a good way to practice our skills.”
 
“Skills?” Vegeta scoffed. “Those morons we fought earlier should be ashamed of themselves. They would have been laughed off of Vegeta-sei.”
 
Yamcha remembered that about ten years ago, the first time he had entered the Budokai, some of his opponents had given him a bit of difficulty. Not so much he couldn't beat them, except that one of his first fights had been against the disguised Muten Roshi and he hadn't stood a chance. That still depressed him. But after Goku got married, fights weren't as much of a challenge to him. He hadn't entered a tournament since Radditz had arrived on Chikyuu about two years before, though, and he knew his strength had increased drastically since then.
 
He entwined his fingers in Hakusai's, and the group of them headed towards the field. They were joined by Lunch, who hung all over Tenshinhan. Much to the surprise of the others, Tenshinhan blushed a little at her attentions but didn't reject them in any manner. Yamcha couldn't suppress a grin. So she finally managed to catch him!
 
It was around noon that the matches actually began. They watched several fights in the ring as they waited their turn. They had all noticed that none of them were scheduled until the later matches. It almost seemed to them that the referees had deliberately put the less skilled fighters in the first few bouts, eliminating them early, and perhaps giving some of them more of a chance to recuperate before the second round. They also learned that the adult matches were alternated with those of the younger fighters; there would be one bout with adults, then a match with children, then another with adults. There were slightly more adults competing than children, so there were occasionally two adult bouts in a row, which occurred more and more frequently as the day progressed.
 
Tenshinhan was the first of them to have a match. He dispatched his opponent quickly and easily, and Lunch fussed over him greatly when he came back. Each of them then had a match right after that, almost one after the other. It was almost pitiful the ease with which each of them defeated their opponents. Both Goku and Yamcha felt pity for their partners, knowing they hadn't even stood a chance. Vegeta, on the other hand, was more annoyed than anything else. He was disgusted at the weak pitiable fools who wanted to compete in something like this. What chance had they against the Prince of the Saiyans, the strongest warrior in the universe?
 
As the matches progressed, it could only be defined as a rout; the Saiyans and their group were undefeated so far, and the other competitors almost seemed to sense that they were going to stand no chance against them. Still, they fought on, as though hoping for a bit of luck.
 
While they were watching the other competitors, Yamcha had been watching keenly for any signs of the boy named `Ranma', the one that Ryouga said had wronged his honor. The young man finally had a match, shortly after Ryouga's first match. Yamcha was surprised at what he saw. The young man didn't seem to be any sort of monster; he had almost the same open, honest, trusting expression Goku had, although there was a little more intelligence behind his eyes. They could tell by his actions and mannerisms that he seemed to be enjoying the fight; it was more a game to him than it was a competition. He fought his opponent as easily as any of the Saiyans had. Yamcha was surprised at the speed, strength and skill he exhibited.
 
“So that's Ranma?” Hakusai said, entwining her fingers with Yamcha's. “Doesn't seem like a bad kid.”
 
Goku nodded. “He is fast, he has almost Saiyan speed. His skills are good and he is aware of it.”
 
Vegeta snorted. “You mean he is cocky.”
 
The Saiyan prince tilted his head, watching the match with interest. It didn't take the older man long to figure out that this `Ranma' was giving his opponent every opportunity to win. Ranma simply didn't react to certain openings his opponent gave him. It wasn't that he was careless, it was almost as if he didn't want to beat his adversary too quickly.
 
Goku shrugged. “That may be, but I sense nothing in his ki or his aura that indicates malice or evil.”
 
Hakusai nodded her agreement. “He doesn't seem like he is all that bad. I wonder what he did to Ryouga?”
 
Yamcha scratched the back of his head with his free hand. “I don't know,” he said, studying the boy with a frown. The boy finally beat his opponent almost easily, landing lightly on his feet and giving the crowd a roguish grin to the delight of apparently every female there. Yamcha shook his head. “I don't know, but it must have been something. Ryouga's my brother, so if he hurt his honor, then I'll help him be avenged. Besides.” He shrugged. “Looks can be deceiving. Maybe he's not as nice as he looks.”
 
Hakusai grinned. “Maybe he just stole Ryouga's girlfriend,” she remarked, as she watched Ranma talking with a group of pretty girls who stood by the ring. “He certainly knows how to flirt.”
 
Yamcha's brow furrowed, and he cast an anxious glance at Bulma. The same could have been said of him at one time, and he knew it wasn't really true. Just because something appeared to be so, didn't make it so. He wondered then if maybe what Ryouga said about Ranma was true or not. Maybe he would just have to find out for himself.
 
Hakusai tugged on Yamcha's fingers. “Come with me.” When he arched a brow at her, she gave him a sly smile. “I am going to introduce myself.” Yamcha blinked, completely confused by what she meant, but followed her willingly. Hakusai made her way over to the young man and his group of admirers. “Ranma Saotome, I presume?” she asked as if she knew him.
 
Ranma blinked at the woman who had just asked his name. “That's me!” he announced boldly, leaping easily over the wall edging the playing field. He landed lightly on the ground, almost like a cat. He smiled at her confidently, with just a hint of curiosity. “You a headhunter or somethin'? `Cause if you are, I ain't gonna go on no circuit or nothin'. I just do this sorta thing for fun.”
 
“Oh no, nothing at all like that,” Hakusai said, releasing Yamcha's hand and offering it to the young man. “I am called Hakusai. I have heard a few things about you. I just wondered if they were true.”
 
“Heard about me?”
 
He was instantly suspicious. There were a lot of people who might have said things about him, none of which he really liked. Whether she had heard about him from one of his numerous unwanted `fiancées', or whether she had heard about him from one of his supposed `enemies', or whether it had been his father's reputation that had preceded him, it didn't really matter. In any case, it was probably something that boded no good for him. He was prepared to defend himself at a moment's notice, or try to flee if need be.
 
“Oh, I was just wondering about something,” she said with just a hint of mischief. “If you were completely without honor, why would you give your opponents so many openings?” When he blinked she smirked, reminding Yamcha of Vegeta. “I am a fighter myself. Unfortunately, I can't fight at the moment.”
 
“Without honor?” Ranma's brow furrowed, and a sweatdrop formed behind him. It was obvious she had been speaking to one of his `enemies', probably one of the numerous males who seemed to think he wanted to take all their girlfriends from them. Even if that `girlfriend' was his own female half. “I got honor! You been talkin' to the wrong people!” He sounded almost angry. “I don't want nothin' ta do with any a those girls! I just wish they'd leave me alone!”
 
Yamcha was surprised at the boy's vehemence. “What girls?” he asked in confusion.
 
It was then Ranma noticed the absolutely enormous man standing behind Hakusai. It didn't intimidate him, though; he had found that most people who were that large seemed to have proportionally small brains. “All a them,” he said, waving a hand vaguely. “You know. The ones my Pop keeps engagin' me to.”
 
Yamcha blinked in surprise. “No... it has to do with something else. It has to do with....”
 
Just then they heard the announcer's voice, and Ranma grimaced. “Oops! Gotta go! Catch ya later!” He sounded like he was almost relieved to leave them... which he would have been, had it not for the name of the opponent they had called for him.
 
Yamcha blinked in surprise when he saw the other young man standing in the arena. Ryouga was glaring death at Ranma. “Ranma Saotome, now I shall get revenge!”
 
“Yeah, yeah, Ryouga. Whatever you say.” Ranma sounded almost bored by Ryouga's words, but in reality he felt his excitement pique. Ryouga was the only person he had ever fought who had ever even come close to truly defeating him. Everyone else he had either defeated easily, or he had fought them for a specific reason. But Ryouga was almost his match in every way, the only person to almost always give him a real challenge. “C'mon, Ryouga. You know what I c'n do, and I know what you c'n do. So let's just do it!”
 
The two boys then began a battle that astonished the onlookers. Both of them moved with a skill and grace that was beyond most of those who had demonstrated their skills that day. They were obviously quite strong; something that became apparent when Ranma accidentally ripped part of the paneling beneath them with a flick of a wrist. Ranma also moved with a speed that was unbelievable. It wasn't quite at Zed senshi levels, but it was awfully close. Goku and the others had the feeling that with just a little more training he would be at their levels.
 
Ranma became aware quickly that Ryouga had managed to gain speed somehow, and he was being kept on his toes, not able to let down his guard for a minute. He was battling back with everything he had, and was slowly gaining the upper hand. Ryouga sensed this as well, and was growing more and more frustrated. He realized he was not going to win; despite all of the techniques he had learned in the past few days, despite his increase in speed and strength, he still didn't have what it took to beat Ranma Saotome.
 
With a roar of rage and anger and absolute defeat, Ryouga's ki spiked abruptly, and a ki ball began to form in his hands. “SHISHI HOKOUDAN!” he shouted as he released the blast towards Ranma.
 
The other boy barely dodged it, the blast singeing the edge of his tunic and the tip of his pigtail. “Aw man, Ryouga! Whaddaya gotta go doin' that for?” He sounded almost disappointed as he faced his enraged nemesis. “Now I gotta do it back!” He concentrated a moment, and the Zed senshi felt his ki rise as well. A blue ki ball formed between the palms of his hands, and he threw it towards Ryouga with a shout.
 
MOKO TAKABISHA!
 
The blast hit Ryouga square on and pushed him backwards. The crowd gasped as it almost knocked him to the edge of the ring; if it had knocked him off, Ranma would be the winner, and everyone wanted to see this fight continue for a while longer. Everyone was getting excited by it, the skills of both boys were simply so close and so powerful.
 
Ryouga glared at Ranma in rage and fury. Even with everything he had it wasn't enough! It was never enough; he would never be strong enough, Ranma would always win! In rage and anger, his ki suddenly spiked higher than it ever had before. As the golden energy flared around him, with a shout of rage, his hair spiked upward and became blond, and his eyes turned green.
 
“Kami!” Yamcha breathed in awe.
 
He had seen Goku do it once and it still amazed him. He hadn't thought Ryouga had that sort of strength yet. When he glanced at Goku and saw the shock on the other Saiyan's face, he realized Goku hadn't expected it either. To Yamcha's bewilderment, Vegeta looked like he was about to launch himself in fury at both boys. He wondered why Vegeta was so angry. Was it because Ryouga had turned Super Saiyan before he had? He suddenly realized that was it.
 
Hakusai's hand tightened on his, and Yamcha glanced down at her and saw the stunned amazement on her face. It took him a moment to realize why, and then he remembered what she had told him earlier. She had thought that a half-Saiyan might not be able to make it to Super Saiyan level, that probably only a full Saiyan could manage it. Ryouga's abrupt power increase belied that theory.
 
Ranma looked like he was in shock. He had never seen anything like this before and had no idea how to react. But when Ryouga began casually throwing ki blasts at him like they were snowballs, he dodged them automatically.
 
“Yo, P-chan! What's happened to you? What'd you go changin' your hair for?” He was bewildered by the changes in his friend, and was reacting to that confusion with his usual smart-alec quips.
 
Ryouga's rage only darkened with the other boy's words, and the ki blasts came out faster and more furious. Ranma was hard put to continue dodging them, especially when Ryouga slowly lifted himself off the ground, floating above the ring as though it was nothing. Ranma froze in shock, suddenly unable to move, and the next blast caught him squarely in the chest, sending him spiraling down.....
 
 
To be continued.....
 
~~~~~*~~~~~
 
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness... Is Ranma Ryouga's twin? Read on to find out!
 
~~~~~*~~~~~
 
Review Responses
 
maccam: Um… huh? Chapter 79 is here. Just go back a couple. I may have taken it down a minute after I posted it in order to fix some formatting (I've had to do that before). Maybe you happened to be the one reader who jumped on and read it as soon as I posted it. It's here. I have no idea what you mean otherwise.