Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ Brothers ( Chapter 82 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Light in the Darkness - Part 82: Brothers
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
 
PAIRING: Bulma/Vegeta, Yamcha/Hakusai, Tenshinhan/Lunch
RATING: PG-13
WARNINGS: none
C&C: Please! ^_^
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters or anything about DBZ, but we both wish we owned the Saiyans. All of them. At least all of the ones with hair. And yes, we're including Yamcha and Ryouga in that, now you know. Dragonball Z and the associated characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. Ranma 1/2 and the characters of Ranma Saotome and Ryouga Hibiki are owned by Viz, Rumiko Takahashi, and some Japanese studio I don't know the name of. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball or Ranma 1/2 themselves. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic. We just have fun writing it. Oh, I guess we do own Hakusai and Serori. But I doubt anyone cares. ^_~
SUMMARY: They learn the truth about Ranma.
NOTES: The rest of this story is completely unbeta'd, as I can't seem to find a beta who will be as brutal or thorough as I like, and will get me chapters back in what I feel is a timely manner. I have, however, had training as an editor, and I've edited the remainder of this pretty thoroughly. I would simply like people to be aware that no one else has gone through it to catch any errors or inconsistencies, so it may be more flawed than I realize.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
There was a sudden scream from the audience and then everyone started shouting at once, as a blackened hole appeared in Ranma's chest. Bulma had heard the commotion earlier, and the announcement of the two contenders, and had left the stands where she had been tending the wounds of the younger contestants. She suddenly knew she was going to be needed out here more gravely than she was needed in the first aid room. When Ranma fell she was in the ring before anyone even realized it, her hand on his chest. She comprehended quickly that he wasn't as badly hurt as it appeared to the audience, but it was still dangerous.
 
Without a second thought she pulled out the DNA analyzer and took a blood sample. As the device whirred through its analysis, it came up with what she had suspected. “Kuso!” she swore softly. But then she watched the rest of the numbers run through and breathed a sigh of relief. “You're going to be all right,” she whispered to the unconscious boy.
 
“He is?” came a worried voice at her shoulder. “You're sure?”
 
She looked up to see Ryouga's anxious face peering at her from right behind. He was powered down and no longer a Super Saiyan. She glared at him with narrowed eyes for a second, and then recognized that he was sincerely concerned for the other boy and her face softened.
 
“Yes. He is.”
 
She decided it wasn't the right time for her to ask him exactly how he knew this other boy and what relationship they shared. There was definitely some history between them, both good and ill, but now wasn't the time to press it.
 
She stood up then and looked at him almost quizzically. “Well, I think you won,” she told him. “Do you think you can carry him down from here?” With an almost embarrassed expression, Ryouga lifted Ranma more tenderly than anyone might have expected and followed her down the stairs from the ring.
 
“Kuso,” Hakusai said with just a hint of a smile. “So young. How did he manage it so young?”
 
Vegeta's eyes narrowed on Ryouga as he carried Ranma away from the ring. “That's what I would like to know.”
 
“He was angry.” Goku spoke up folding his arms across his chest and looking thoughtful. “I thought that anger was the trigger. I remember that I was so mad at Frieza for killing Krillin that something in me just snapped, then I just felt sorta calm....”
 
HAKUSAI!!!” Serori came running over to the group catching her sister's attention. “Did you see that? Ryouga went Super Saiyan!”
 
“I saw. I am not blind you know.” Hakusai looked up at Yamcha.
 
Yamcha looked back at her. “This does answer one question for us. Apparently half-Saiyans can go Super Saiyan as well as full-blooded ones.”
 
Goku nodded his agreement. “Think we ought to go and check on them?”
 
“What for?” Vegeta spoke up suddenly drawing attention to himself. “Bulma knows what she is doing.”
 
The Saiyan Prince was more than a little annoyed that someone else had managed to reach Super Saiyan status before him. Not only was Ryouga what he would consider a third class Saiyan, but he wasn't even full-blooded. Vegeta's hand clenched as he thought about it. Why? Why couldn't he do it? Why, when a half-breed and a third class loser could do it?
 
“It wasn't Ranma I was worried about,” Goku commented. “Ryouga looked really upset that he hurt Ranma. I think we should check on him.”
 
Yamcha's brow furrowed. He had noticed that as well and it had confused him. Ryouga had sworn he had wanted revenge on the other boy, yet when he had gotten it, it had upset him.
 
“Let's go find out,” he agreed. It disturbed him, and made him wonder what his brother's true motivation was. Ryouga hadn't told them everything, and now Yamcha was wondering if the missing bits were more crucial than he had realized.
 
The group of them headed to the first aid area, and they saw Bulma bending over Ranma. She looked up at them in surprise when they entered. “Aren't you going to watch the fighting?”
 
Goku gave Bulma a sheepish smile. “Well, we wanted to check on Ryouga.” He looked over to the bandana clad boy, concern showing on his features. “Are you ok?”
 
Ryouga looked startled. “I'm... I'm fine.” He glanced down at the boy lying on the cot, and a blush stained his cheeks. “I never thought... I thought I'd never be able to beat him,” he murmured softly, almost to himself.
 
Bulma glanced at him curiously, and then gave Vegeta a piercing look before her gaze settled on Yamcha. “Well, at least we know who we need to put into the tank when we get back to Capsule Corp.,” she said pointedly.
 
Yamcha blinked, at first not understanding what she meant, and then he face-faulted. “You mean he's....” He stared down at the unconscious boy.
 
Bulma nodded, shrugging. “The DNA matches perfectly. The tank will prove it to him, though.”
 
Goku blinked. “He is Ryouga's twin?” He looked over at the unconscious boy thoughtfully. “Come to think of it, they do look a little alike.”
 
“More than a little,” Bulma agreed.
 
Ryouga was staring at them in shock. “What? What are you saying? No way! Ranma Saotome is not my brother! He has a father! He can't be related to me! We're nothing alike!”
 
Vegeta snorted. “Brothers do not have to be anything alike. Nor do they have to like one another. Radditzu and Kakarotto were brothers but they despised each other.” Vegeta shrugged. “Let's see if we can convince him to take a blood test. Then we can be sure.”
 
Bulma shrugged. “No need to convince him. I took a sample while he was unconscious. His DNA matches the other set Kabu had recorded in her files. He's definitely Yamcha's other brother. It's just going to be a matter of convincing him of that.” She finished taping the bandage on the boy's chest and stood up. “The tank may be our only option. If he grows a tail he won't have any choice but to accept what he is.”
 
Then she felt the agitation flowing off Vegeta, and she walked over to him. She felt the anger flowing from him and it puzzled her. “Vegeta? What's wrong?” she asked him with a frown. “Is something wrong?”
 
Vegeta, who was busy stewing in his own juices, was a bit startled when Bulma approached him. He was also surprised to find that he was much calmer when his mate was near. “No,” he lied looking into her concerned eyes. “It's nothing.”
 
Bulma's frown deepened. She knew he wasn't telling her the truth. ::You might as well tell me, vegetable head. I'm going to find out from you one way or another. Something is bothering you, isn't it?:: Her brow furrowed, and then a light flashed off behind her. ::It's because Ryouga turned Super Saiyan, isn't it? Is that what's got your underwear in a wedgie?::
 
::A what?:: He frowned at her. ::No, it's nothing. Let it be, woman.:: He was annoyed she had managed to see through him so easily, but then was somewhat relieved she could read him so well.
 
Bulma smiled at him, her face getting a truly happy expression. “Oh, Vegeta! If that's all it is, why don't you just remove your tail? You know you can't go Super Saiyan while you still have it, silly!”
 
Yamcha blinked at Bulma's sudden statement. “Huh?” He looked at Vegeta in surprise. “Yeah, you should be able to go Super Saiyan any time if you get rid of your tail. Goku said so earlier.” He shrugged, looking embarrassed. “I don't think I have the power level, so I'm not going to bother to take mine off yet.”
 
Vegeta glared at Bulma for looking so smug. “Then take it off, woman. I don't really need it, and I want to go Super Saiyan.”
 
“Me?” Bulma blinked at him in surprise, then backed away from him. “Uh uh. I don't think so.” She glanced down at his tail, which was wrapped carefully around his waist. “I'm not touching that, no way!”
 
Goku and the others gaped at her in confusion. “Don't you remember how much it hurt Goku when we cut it off him?” she asked them incredulously. “You think I'm going to do that to Vegeta? No way! One of you is going to have to do it!”
 
Yamcha gave a sigh and walked over to the Saiyan Prince. “You want me to...?” He held out a hand.
 
Vegeta inclined his head, barely. “Why not? It isn't going to hurt that much.”
 
Yamcha looked dubious, but carefully took Vegeta's tail and pulled lightly. It came out with a small popping sound, and Yamcha winced at the grimace that passed over Vegeta's features.
 
“It didn't... hurt, did it?” he asked apologetically. “I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt you.”
 
“Don't be an idiot!” Vegeta snapped at the other man. His pride refused to let him admit that it had been extremely painful. “I have had worse battle injuries than that.”
 
Though he appeared unconcerned about the loss of his tail, he was hurting in more ways than one. A Saiyan's tail was more than a means to transform into an Oozaru, it was a symbol of who and what he was - a Saiyan Prince. Without it people would mistake him as ordinary, a human. That thought above all else infuriated him. Not that someone could mistake him as a human, but that he could be called ordinary. But the rewards would be worth it. One day he would be the most powerful being in the universe.
 
Bulma seemed to sense what was going on in Vegeta's mind, because she gave him a small, sympathetic smile and then walked over to him and gave him a tight hug. She said nothing, knowing no words would really help. ::Aishiteru, Vegeta,:: she sent to him, as she pulled back from their embrace and smiled at him fondly.
 
Just then they heard the announcer call the next set of contestants. They realized they hadn't been paying any attention to the fight outside, but the two human warriors had finished their round. The next round had already been announced; Gohan was competing against someone they had never heard of.
 
“I think he'd want you to watch,” Bulma pointed out to all of them. “Maybe you should go? I think he'd be disappointed if you didn't.” She touched Vegeta's cheek. “Even you, Vegeta. You're his sensei, after all.”
 
Vegeta turned his head into Bulma's touch and kissed her palm lightly. If the others were startled by this obvious display of affection, no one reacted, though Yamcha and Goku exchanged a look that clearly read approval.
 
“I suppose. Are you staying here with him?” Vegeta asked her.
 
Bulma nodded almost reluctantly. “But let me know when any of you go on. I'll make sure I watch.” She smiled then, and leaned into him. “Especially you, Vegeta. I'll need to be there to cheer you on.” Her eyes twinkled with mirth. “Now go. I don't think he wants you guys to miss this fight.”
 
Vegeta almost smiled at that, but managed to suppress it. ::You had better be, woman,:: he told her privately.
 
Goku looked over his shoulder when he heard the announcer say that the match would be starting shortly. “Let's get going. I want to see how much Gohan has improved.”
 
The five Saiyans made their way back to the stands, watching from where the other competitors waited, leaving Bulma with her patient. Even Ryouga managed to tear himself away from the first aid room. He knew he wasn't going to do any good to the other boy he had hurt so badly, and wasn't even entirely certain why he felt so bad about hurting him. They were enemies, right? So why did he feel so bad that he had hurt Ranma?
 
He tried not to let this trouble him as he followed the adults out to the field again. The five of them joined Tenshinhan again, and it looked like Krillin had joined them as well. Lunch was no longer with them and they didn't see Marron anywhere. Yamcha was relieved about that. Although Marron looked like Bulma, she wasn't at all like his ex-girlfriend in personality, and he didn't like the differences.
 
They watched as Gohan and his opponent entered the ring and bowed to one another. His opponent was a slender but tall girl, wearing the loose-flowing robes of the eastern desert tribes. Her hair was pulled back into a long ponytail down her back, and was hooked to the back of her robe so it wouldn't interfere with her movements. Goku and the others frowned, thinking she didn't seem like much in the way of competition for him, until she began to move. Then they saw that she was quite skilled, although she didn't stand a chance against Gohan's innate strength and speed.
 
After they bowed their introduction, she moved fluidly and gracefully into a combat stance and began testing Gohan's defenses. He deflected her blows easily, and once she thought she had gauged his abilities she began a faster attack. To her surprise he hadn't been using even a portion of his abilities, but continued to dodge her attacks easily.
 
Gohan frowned, almost disturbed by how easy this was going to be. He suspected the only real competition he would have here would be his own friends. This disappointed him slightly. He knew Serori didn't have nearly the training he had, and Ryouga hadn't had a chance to learn very many of the new techniques they had been working with him on. He had the feeling there really wasn't anyone in his age group in the Budokai that was really in his fighting class. It was almost too easy; he had been hoping to be able to test out his skills.
 
The adults watched critically as Gohan defeated his competitor, then bowed and helped her up almost apologetically. It had been her only fighting round; now she had been eliminated from the rest of the competition and Gohan would continue on. Gohan's eyes skimmed over the audience as he and the girl left the ring, and his face lit up when he saw his friends watching.
 
“Daddy! You watched me fight? What did you think?”
 
Goku beamed at his son. “You did great, Gohan!” he told him, ruffling his hair affectionately. “You really have gotten a lot stronger.”
 
Vegeta snorted. “You left yourself open on some of your attacks. Try not to be so careless. Your next opponent may be more skilled than your last one.”
 
Gohan looked disappointed at Vegeta's words. “All right, Vegeta-sensei. I'll try better next time. I promise.”
 
Yamcha smiled at him, and slapped him on the shoulders. “Aw, don't worry about it too much, Gohan. You did great. You were trying not to hurt her I assume, right?”
 
Gohan nodded, still looking a little sad. “Yeah... I felt bad for her. She didn't even stand a chance against me. She was good, but... it wasn't fair for her to have to fight me.”
 
“Life isn't fair brat,” Vegeta remarked, watching Gohan's opponent talking disappointedly with some friends. “She took the chance that she would meet someone stronger than her when she entered this tournament. I wouldn't worry about it.”
 
“Hmmm....” Gohan shot a worried glance at the girl and sighed. “I know. But I just wish....”
 
Yamcha grinned. “You're too soft-hearted. Vegeta's right. Someone's gotta win and someone's gotta lose, and there's a good chance you're going to be the winner in your age group.”
 
Just then they heard the announcer mention that there would be a break between competitions for a while, now that the first set of elimination rounds had taken place. Now the judges would have to schedule the next set of competitions, determining the best match of skills to eliminate fighters, leading eventually up to a final winner.
 
Gohan listened, and then flew up to land in his father's arms with a smile. “Can we get something to eat?”
 
Goku smiled fondly at his son and brushed his hair out of his eyes. “Sure, Gohan. They have plenty of places to eat around here.”
 
Yamcha slipped his arm around Hakusai and gave an eager nod. “I'm up for that!” he agreed enthusiastically. “Just hope we can deal with those lines!” He pointed to the lines that were starting to queue up around the closer food stands.
 
Vegeta's stomach growled and he smirked at Yamcha. “I am in complete agreement with you.” He glanced over to where he knew Bulma and Ranma were. “I wonder if Bulma brought a refrigerator with her.”
 
Goku beamed. “I bet she did! She is always prepared!”
 
Vegeta gave Goku an odd look and turned on his heel to seek out his mate. It didn't take him long to return to the room from which they had just departed. He leaned against the doorframe to watch her for a few moments before he made his presence known.
 
“Woman,” he said, getting her attention. “I don't suppose you are carrying around a refrigerator in those capsules of yours? The lines are horrible.”
 
Bulma looked up from where she was bandaging a small boy's wrist. “Hmm...?” She blinked at Vegeta and then nodded. “Yes. I have a few. I didn't think any of the food-stands would have enough for six Saiyan appetites.” She finished taping the boy's bandage, then stood up, slipping her hand in his arm. “All right, Vegeta. Are the others outside?”
 
“Yes,” he replied. “Gohan has made it to the finals in his class.” He tilted his head and smirked at her. “Our son will have no problems either one day.”
 
Bulma smirked back at him. “No, probably not. Considering who his father is.” She leaned forward and kissed him lightly on the lips, at the moment not caring who might see. Then she glanced down at the unconscious Ranma and sighed. “He's still out. I think Ryouga hit him pretty hard. He should be all right after we get him in the tank, though.” Then she sighed and leaned against Vegeta slightly. “Let's go find an open space and eat lunch, shall we?”
 
“Yes,” he repeated and slipped his arms around her waist. “Is something wrong? You seem... tired.”
 
“Tired?” She pulled back from him. “No, not really. I just wanted....” She shrugged. “I just wanted to be near you was all.” She pulled her arm away from him and shrugged again. “I didn't know you wouldn't want that.” She started towards the door, wondering why she felt so disappointed. She knew what Vegeta was like, that he didn't like public displays, but she had hoped that maybe he wouldn't mind for once.
 
Vegeta stepped up behind her, slipping his arms around her waist once more and pulling her back against his chest. He turned his head to lick at the skin just behind her ear and then smiled when she shivered.
 
“That's fine by me.”
 
Bulma closed her eyes and leaned back against him again. She arched her back, letting him kiss her neck more easily, then she sighed and pulled away. She turned in his arms and smiled at him.
 
“Let's get something to eat before the next part of the tournament begins.”
 
She pulled away from him reluctantly, but didn't release his hand as she led him from the first aid building. She waved when she saw the others waiting nearby. “Can you guys find us a clearing so we can eat?”
 
“Are we having a picnic?” Goku asked as he watched Bulma and Vegeta approach.
 
Bulma shrugged. “That's up to you. But I'd rather not decapsulate this much food in this crowd. I think it might shock everyone, for them to see how much all of you can eat. If one of you can find a clearing close by?”
 
“I will,” Yamcha volunteered. He squeezed Hakusai's hand lightly, then released it and flew off. A number of people around them suddenly started in surprise; it wasn't like flying people were very common, after all. He returned only a few minutes later with a big grin on his face. “Found a good spot if you guys wanna follow me!”
 
Vegeta bent slightly and scooped up Bulma. “Well?” he prompted Yamcha. “Where is this place of yours?”
 
He shrugged. “It's not too far.” He took off again, expecting the others to follow. He was right, it wasn't too far from the Budokai, a clearing within a small woodsy area.
 
Once they landed, Bulma glanced around in satisfaction, then released several capsulated refrigerators of food. She wasn't surprised when most of the Saiyans dove in without any semblance of manners. The only ones who showed real manners were Ryouga and Gohan, although Hakusai was a little better mannered than the men. Bulma noted critically that Vegeta and Goku were the worst of the lot, hardly caring about how they appeared as they devoured their food.
 
When they were done eating - although Bulma thought `ravening' might have been a better term - she re-encapsulated the remaining food and refrigerators, and the group headed back to the tournament. It hadn't started yet, although most of the competitors were heading back to the waiting areas to find out when their next matches would be.
 
Bulma gave Vegeta a quick kiss on the cheek. “I'll see you later. Let me know when you're up.”
 
Vegeta nodded. “I will.”
 
If anyone had asked a certain Saiyan Prince why having Bulma cheering him on to victory meant so much to him, he would have told them they were imagining things. But the truth was that he wanted to impress her. Even though it wasn't necessary to prove to Bulma how acceptable he was as a mate, he instinctively wanted to prove to her that he was indeed worthy.
 
“You might as well go back to tending the wounded.”
 
She gave him a small mischievous smile. “No one is wounded yet. I can watch for a little while before I go back.” She linked her hand in his, slightly reluctant to leave just yet. “Why don't you check the boards to see when you have your next match?”
 
 
To be continued.....
 
~~~~~*~~~~~
 
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness... Prelude to a Fight - the real action at the tournament begins.