Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ General Arguments ( Chapter 96 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Light in the Darkness - Part 96: General Arguments
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
 
PAIRING: None
RATING: PG-13
WARNINGS: none
C&C: Please! ^_^
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters or anything about DBZ, but we both wish we owned the Saiyans. All of them. At least all of the ones with hair. And yes, we're including Yamcha, Ranma, and Ryouga in that, now you know. Dragonball Z and the associated characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. Ranma 1/2 and the characters of Ranma Saotome and Ryouga Hibiki are owned by Viz, Rumiko Takahashi, and some Japanese studio I don't know the name of. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball or Ranma 1/2 themselves. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic. We just have fun writing it. Oh, I guess we do own Hakusai and Serori. But I doubt anyone cares. ^_~
SUMMARY: More discussions with General Kabu, in which Kabu learns a few things about Trunks.
NOTES: The rest of this story is completely unbeta'd, as I can't seem to find a beta who will be as brutal or thorough as I like, and will get me chapters back in what I feel is a timely manner. I have, however, had training as an editor, and I've edited the remainder of this pretty thoroughly. I would simply like people to be aware that no one else has gone through it to catch any errors or inconsistencies, so it may be more flawed than I realize.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Bulma glared at Vegeta as he entered the kitchen, still completely nude. “Do you mind?” she said acidly. “Maybe you like parading around in the buff, but some of us like to keep our meals down, and we can't if you're walking around with nothing on!”
 
Vegeta smirked at her. “Is that so? You had no problem with my appearance earlier. And I have no problem if you wish to wander around this way as well. Unfortunately you wouldn't get any work done.”
 
“Oh?” Bulma arched a brow back at him. “I think you might have a problem if I walked around nude... where Yamcha and Goku could see me. Don't you think?”
 
To her annoyance Vegeta chuckled. “Goku wouldn't notice, and as for Yamcha, I think my sister would keep his eyes from wandering.”
 
“Hmph!” Bulma snorted in irritation. “Well, if you don't care that other men see me naked, maybe I'll start working at a strip club! Then you can see me that way any time you'd like, couldn't you?”
 
She glared at him, irritated by his smug attitude. Despite his comments, she didn't like the idea of sharing him with anyone else. The fact that he didn't seem to mind being nude around Kabu and the other Saiyans annoyed her and made her feel insecure, as though he might be trying to attract Kabu's attention. Although Bulma rather waspishly thought that Kabu wasn't exactly 'pretty', she knew that the woman was appealing in the manner of a warrior - strong, healthy, and fit. If Vegeta was interested in that sort at all, then Kabu might just appeal to him.
 
“Just get dressed, Vegeta! Unless you want everyone losing their appetites from having to look at you!”
 
Vegeta chuckled again. “Woman, you realize I would have to kill any man who saw you but me.” He moved closer to her and looked into her eyes, letting her see the fierce possessiveness in them. “Both Yamcha and Goku know you belong to me. If any of those other males tempt you...” He trailed off, eyes narrowed. “It will be the last thing they ever do.”
 
Bulma glared at him without answering. “And? Are you going to get dressed?” she asked through gritted teeth.
 
Vegeta smirked, then turned on his heel in reply. As he made his way up the stairs and to their room, he couldn't help feeling a kind of smug satisfaction that his mate would get that jealous over someone else seeing him naked.
 
When he returned to the kitchen several minutes later, fully dressed, he arched an eyebrow at her. “Are you happy now?”
 
Bulma eyed him critically. “Well, at least I won't have to lose my lunch now. Nor will they.” She indicated the others who had entered the kitchen right after he had left.
 
Vegeta growled irritably. “Why is it we feed every Saiyan left in the galaxy?”
 
Bulma smirked. “Because the ones who live here are related to you in some way. Except for Goku, at least.”
 
“Thank Kami for that,” Vegeta grumbled as he threw himself down on a chair. “It's bad enough I am related to Yamcha.”
 
At this remark Hakusai did a very un-Saiyan like thing and stuck her tongue out at him. “You are lucky Goku was married already when we met. He is cute.”
 
Goku had been listening to the entire conversation with a bewildered look on his face, and he smiled sheepishly. “Hakusai...” he began.
 
“Well if everything is all right here, I guess Tenshinhan and I can head out of here.” Krillin spoke up hesitantly, reminding the others of his presence.
 
“Good idea,” Vegeta grumbled at them. “I think that is the smartest thing you have ever said.”
 
“Tenshinhan?” Krillin looked up at the bald man. “Shall we go?”
 
Tenshinhan eyed Vegeta suspiciously for several long seconds before nodding. “There is nothing we can do here. But we should stay in the neighborhood. Just in case.”
 
“In case of what?” Vegeta asked contemptuously. “You think you can handle them?” He laughed scornfully. “You and chrome dome would be killed instantly.”
 
“Vegeta,” Goku interrupted reproachfully. “Isn't that a bit harsh?”
 
“Hardly.” The new Saiyan King leaned back in his seat, eyeing Krillin with distaste. “It's the truth.”
 
“He is right, you know.” Yamcha's eyebrows pulled together in thought. “I don't think the handful of us could beat them, even if we have three Super Saiyans here.”
 
Vegeta eyebrows shot up. “Exactly.”
 
“Do you really think having that many Saiyans here is a good idea?” Yamcha asked. “It won't be long before they deplete this planet's resources.”
 
“That is why we need our own homeworld,” Vegeta stated. “And something to keep them busy.”
 
“What would keep them busy?” Bulma asked. “Other than killing people and destroying planets, that is. What do you have in mind?”
 
“I think he figures colonizing our own world will keep them busy,” Trunks said quietly. He was leaning against the doorframe again, watching them without quite joining them.
 
“Our?” Bulma looked over at him curiously as she poured herself a cup of tea.
 
Trunks shifted slightly. “I was thinking of joining them,” he admitted almost shyly. “You know, it would be different, it might be fun. I think I... I'm so used to hiding all my life, maybe getting a chance to explore for once, it's just... different.”
 
“I would expect you to,” Vegeta remarked, his approval of his son's decision leaking into his voice. “It is your right. Not to mention your duty to lead after my death.”
 
Trunks blushed at that and looked down, muttering something none of them could quite catch.
 
“What was that?” Vegeta asked sharply.
 
Trunks looked up at him then, almost defiantly, as he answered. “I said I don't want to lead after your death. I would rather you didn't die at all, Father.”
 
“Don't be an ass,” Vegeta growled at him. “I will die when my time comes. What would you have me do, become immortal?”
 
“You wanted to be at one time,” Goku pointed out.
 
“Not anymore,” Vegeta snarled at him. “I have other concerns now.”
 
Trunks hadn't replied to Vegeta, but instead looked back down again, blushing more deeply. Bulma studied him curiously for a few minutes while the others bantered. She didn't remove her eyes from her future son, even as she spoke.
 
“I think, Vegeta, that he doesn't want you to die because he never got to know you. Remember that in his world you were dead. Is it so unreasonable for him to want to get to know his father after all this time?”
 
Vegeta studied the pale-haired youth intently. “Is that so, brat?” he asked. “Well, I am sure you will have your opportunity.”
 
“Vegeta, that was almost fatherly,” Hakusai quipped, earning a glare from her younger brother.
 
“I couldn't care less what you think, woman,” he snapped at her.
 
“Well then, I suppose you guys should get to know each other, right?” Krillin paled under Vegeta's glare and stood up quickly. “Come on, Tenshinhan. Let's go.”
 
Tenshinhan frowned. He didn't like the idea of just leaving them there with a shipful of Saiyans on Bulma's front lawn, and almost said as much when Goku spoke up.
 
“It will be ok,” Goku reassured them. “If anything happens, you two will know.”
 
“Alright, Son-kun.” Tenshinhan nodded. He might not trust Vegeta, but he did trust Goku. He had watched him grow up from a small child to the man that sat before him. In a way, they were all like family. “We will be nearby if you need us.”
 
Goku watched two of his oldest friends leave, then sighed and looked over to Trunks. “You know, we never did thank you for showing up the other day. You were a great help.”
 
Trunks looked startled at Goku's comment. “That's not really necessary,” he answered, looking embarrassed. “I had to show up. I couldn't... I couldn't let my mother be alone again. Not if I could do something to prevent it.” He shot a swift glance at Vegeta before looking back at Goku. “And we'll need all of you to help fight Cell in a few years. Otherwise he will destroy everything.”
 
Goku smiled. “I am sure Bulma appreciates that very much.” He glanced over at Bulma before looking back at her son. “You know, it will be really strange when you are born. Then there will be two of you.”
 
Bulma looked puzzled by that. “Well, what should I do? If I don't name him Trunks then he won't be born. But if I do name him Trunks, it would be like I'm replacing him. Do any of you have any suggestions?”
 
Trunks simply looked at her, his face inscrutable, without saying a word.
 
Vegeta snorted. “They will be different anyways, woman.” He leaned back in his chair eyeing his oldest son intently. “The brat you carry will never go through what this one did. They will not be the same, though they will look alike. You won't be replacing him.”
 
“But she can't name him Trunks too.” Goku scratched his head. “It would be really confusing.”
 
“Then name him Vegeta. It is what the brat should have been called anyway.”
 
“SHOULD have been called!” Bulma's eyes flashed dangerously as she glared at Vegeta. “I think not! He's MY son as much as yours, and I chose to name him after my grandfather! You weren't even AROUND when Trunks was born, so you had no say in the matter at all!”
 
“If I had been around, woman, he would have taken the traditional name of my people,” he snapped back. “And I would have had a say in it.”
 
“What, you're so egocentric that you have to name your son after yourself? You can't accept that I might have wanted to honor my grandfather by naming my son after him? I don't see him as a copy of you, Vegeta, and I'm not going to name him that!”
 
Vegeta snorted. “It was the name of our homeworld. All the rulers for thousands of years were named Vegeta. I can't see why you don't understand that. My ego,” his eyes narrowed on his wife, “has nothing to do with it.”
 
Bulma stared at him, her mouth dropped in surprise, and then she snapped it shut before whipping out a reply. “You're named after your planet? What sort of a tradition is that?” she demanded. “I suppose that means a human should name his child 'Chikyuu' or something. How completely ridiculous!”
 
Vegeta snorted. “Apparently you have no idea of how ridiculous many of your customs seem to me.” He crossed his arms across his chest, eyes narrowing dangerously on the small human female standing in front of him. “Why does this need to be a debate? Name him Vegeta and be done with it.”
 
“Because I don't want to name him Vegeta, you bakayaro!” she shouted at him, oblivious to how uncomfortable the others were beginning to get, watching them fight. “That's the most ridiculous name I know of! I want to name him something more reasonable than that! Maybe I should name him... Goku, or something!”
 
She knew she was treading on dangerous ground, but at the moment she was too furious to care.
 
“You are not going to name any son of mine after that imbecile!” he shouted back. “Don't even think of such a thing!”
 
“It's better than naming him Vegeta!” she shouted at the top of her lungs.
 
“Over my rotting corpse woman!” Vegeta shouted back at her, his voice matching hers in volume and tone. “I will not have him named after that moron! Have I made myself clear?”
 
The others were shifting uncomfortably, except for Goku, who seemed oblivious to the altercation. He was eating at a furious pace, only occasionally glancing up at the two of them curiously.
 
Trunks stepped towards Bulma as she was about to shout back at Vegeta again.
 
“Mother,” he said quietly, catching her attention.
 
Bulma looked at him, her rage abruptly vanishing. She blinked at him in confusion and he shook his head.
 
“You don't really care that much, Mother. You can name me - I mean him - Vegeta. Please. I would be honored to be named after Father.”
 
Vegeta wasn't sure if he should be angry that his son had stepped into an argument that had nothing to do with him, or if he should laugh at Bulma's surprised expression.
 
“Is that so?” he asked sounding amused. “I think your mother likes to argue.”
 
Bulma ignored Vegeta's comment as she continued to look curiously at Trunks.
 
“You would? Really?” She studied her son for a moment and then smiled. “All right. If you like the name, then maybe I'll use it. Even if it is that bakayaro's name.”
 
Vegeta rolled his eyes in exasperation. “Woman, you are trying to drive me insane, aren't you?” he growled to her. “Brat, never bond,” he told his son. “Women are nothing but headaches.”
 
“Shut up, Vegeta,” Bulma replied calmly. “You can leave any time you'd like, you know. The door's right there.” She pointed casually, not even looking at him.
 
Vegeta glared at her a few minutes before replying. It irritated him that it seemed she was going to win another argument.
 
“Yes, I could at that,” he remarked getting her attention. ::But then who would annoy me if you weren't around?:: he asked her.
 
::I'm quite certain you'll manage to find someone,:: she replied blandly. ::Chi-Chi might fit the bill nicely. Although Marron might be happier to.::
 
“Then why don't you?” she asked him, smiling sweetly. “And don't let it hit you on the butt on your way out!”
 
The corner of Vegeta's mouth quirked up almost into a smile as he looked at his mate. “Too weak for me. Maybe Kabu would be a willing replacement.” He arched a brow at her. “She does have some... good qualities.”
 
Bulma glared at him suddenly. She wasn't going to admit to him that she was jealous of Kabu, and threatened by what she perceived to be a possible rival, someone Vegeta might decide would make a better and more logical mate for himself. It didn't matter to her that rationally she knew that she and Vegeta had bonded, and that he couldn't leave her without it killing him. Somehow she felt he wouldn't have to 'leave' her in order to have a child with Kabu. And she suspected Kabu might not be unwilling. Vegeta was, after all, the King, and Kabu didn't disguise that she felt Bulma was not appropriate for Vegeta.
 
Bulma was about to say something about it, when at that moment the woman in question stepped into the house. Bulma glared at her angrily, irritated by the fact that she hadn't knocked, by her self-confidence, and by the fact that Vegeta seemed attracted to her.
 
“Fine, then!” she snarled at her husband. “She's right here! Why don't you take her as my replacement right now, Vegetable head!”
 
Kabu's eyes narrowed at the familiarity with which Bulma addressed Vegeta. “One does not address the king in that manner!” she snapped at Bulma. “A slave must always treat the king with the respect due a monarch!”
 
“Slave?” Bulma arched an eyebrow at Kabu, suddenly amused. She saw Vegeta start to rankle, and decided to defuse a situation that could easily become explosive. “I'm not a slave here. I own Capsule Corp. Vegeta only stays here at my sufferance... and I suffered greatly for over a year, I assure you!”
 
Kabu hesitated, and looked back and forth between Vegeta and Bulma, her eyes still narrowed suspiciously. “What is this? She has no ki, she should be no more than a slave! Have you not yet conquered this planet, Your Majesty?”
 
Vegeta scowled at her, eyes narrowing dangerously as he studied her. “You will not take that tone of voice with my Mate, General. Not unless you wish to end your life. Have I made myself clear?”
 
“Mate?!?” Kabu's tone was incredulous, and she stared at Vegeta for several seconds before shaking her head. “That's impossible! The Mating was bred out of your line generations ago! You could not possibly have Mated. And with a non-Saiyan...!”
 
“I am quite aware of what the genetic scientists have told me,” he snapped at her. “They were wrong. It is not impossible, otherwise my sister and I wouldn't have bonded.” Vegeta glared at her. “Do not presume to tell me what I already know. That could be a fatal mistake.”
 
Kabu took a deep breath, steadying herself. It wouldn't do to lose her temper in front of the monarch. It had been her temper that had gotten her exiled initially from Vegeta-sei; that, and her unfortunate tendency to speak her mind. It had been her rather vocal disagreement with the previous king regarding his arrangement with Frieza that had led to her exile. Even though ultimately the result had been that she had been one of the few survivors, and it had given her Yamcha, still the pain of being forced to leave her homeworld never to return had cut deeply. And despite everything, her loyalty to the royal line of Vegeta-sei ran deep and always had.
 
“Yes, Your Majesty.” Kabu bowed her head slightly, indicating her acquiescence. “I was just... surprised,” she admitted.
 
“Is that so?” Vegeta asked, his voice taking on a harder edge than the others had ever heard before. “She will be treated with the respect due her station. Bulma is my Queen, never forget that.”
 
Kabu was silent for several long seconds, before she inclined her head again. “I see. Yes, Your Majesty. Does that mean you underwent the mating ritual?”
 
There was a slight challenge in her voice. If Vegeta wished her to honor the human female, then he needed to have honored her as well.
 
Vegeta suppressed the urge to strangle the Saiyan woman. It almost sounded like she was questioning his honor. Vegeta repressed the urge to kill her, knowing that he would need her and her forces to conquer a new Vegeta-sei, and inclined his head. He smirked at her, reminding Kabu of Vegeta's father for a moment.
 
“Not that I need to answer to you, woman, but I have. Or do you question my word?”
 
Kabu lifted her chin, although she already towered over him. Once again her tongue was getting her into trouble. But she had never learned to curb it, and as a leader she had never needed to. She had become a power unto herself, answering to no one, and was finding it difficult being subservient to anyone else. Particularly since that role had never particularly suited her. It was her very inability to kowtow and be blindly obedient that caused her difficulties, but was also one of the reasons she was both a strong and brilliant leader. It was something she both knew and accepted, yet also knew was going to be difficult to alleviate.
 
“Your Majesty, it's never been your word I've questioned, it's merely been your motives. You were not raised on Vegeta-sei; if you had been you would have been killed along with everyone else. I do not know how you managed to survive, but I can only assume that since you have, you do not truly understand Saiyan traditions. In which case the only way to honor our race is to learn them, or our traditions will die.”
 
“Our race will die if we stay with the old ways,” Vegeta declared. “It was one of the reasons we were nothing more than puppets to Frieza. It was our inability to change that was our undoing. This will stop. We will learn to adapt.” Vegeta eyed Kabu thoughtfully before continuing. “If we do not, it will be the death of us.”
 
Kabu was silent for a moment. She agreed with him about adapting; she knew that refusal to change would bring stagnation, which would eventually cause their deaths as well. However, she had heard that same argument once before.
 
“Your father said the same thing to me once,” she replied, her voice quieter than he had heard it since he had met her, “when I warned him that Frieza would betray him. He told me that if we didn't change with the times that we would die. So he followed Frieza against my advice, and Vegeta-sei died.”
 
“There is more than one difference between my father and me,” Vegeta replied. “The most important of which is that I am not following Frieza. My people will not be enslaved like that again.”
 
Kabu studied him doubtfully. She wouldn't have believed that her previous monarch would have led her people into slavery, but that was exactly what he had done. Oh, Frieza had made promises to them, sworn they would stand by his side - be his elite warriors and earn glory and honor - but that wasn't what had happened. Kabu had suspected Frieza wasn't going to keep his word; she had no idea why she had sensed that, but somehow she had known he had had no intention of honoring his promise to them.
 
“There are many differences between yourself and your father,” she conceded ambiguously. “You are also alike in many ways. Not that this is a bad thing,” she said quickly, seeing his eyebrows tighten in a frown. “Your father was very strong, the strongest Saiyan warrior I had ever known.” She smiled wryly at Vegeta. “In that, you are both the same. You are even stronger than he was if you defeated Frieza. Strong enough to lead the last of the Saiyans, and build us up into the race we once were.”
 
She drew herself up proudly, knowing that she was part of a race that would help rule the universe.
 
Vegeta inclined his head, acknowledging the fact that his father had been the strongest of their race. It had been expected, the ruling class had always been that way. And now he had achieved something his sire hadn't; he had become a Super Saiyan.
 
“Perhaps. But he made mistakes I have learned from. Mistakes my son will not make.”
 
“Son?” Kabu exclaimed in surprise, and then she studied Bulma with a piercing look. Yes, the female was pregnant; she could smell it, as she had before. She knew he wasn't going to like her next words, but she felt it was her duty to point out the truth to him. “Yes, perhaps. But how do you know that a half-breed with this race will be strong enough to rule? Mating with other races always carries a risk. Sometimes the brats are born deformed, or are weak and unworthy. You may care for your Queen, but your progeny may not be acceptable. Are you willing to take that risk?”
 
“Yes. Because he already knows how I'm going to turn out,” Trunks said quietly, interrupting them.
 
Kabu turned sharply to look at him, and her eyes narrowed. How dare this brat interrupt them this way? Who was he? Then she realized he was the progeny of the human female, the one Vegeta had chosen for his Mate. Perhaps that was why he was so cocky; he had probably been given favored treatment from Vegeta.
 
Kabu studied the lavender-haired young man disdainfully. “And who are you, whelp? Vegeta may have chosen your mother as his mate, but that does not give you a rank, human!”
 
“Human?” Trunks' voice dropped dangerously. “I'm as 'human' as your own son. I'm more Saiyan than him, in fact, because my DNA was never suppressed the way you suppressed his. My mother allowed me to be Saiyan all my life!”
 
Kabu's eyes narrowed. Her sons at least looked Saiyan, but this boy didn't look Saiyan in the slightest.
 
“Who is your father?” she demanded sharply. If he was part Saiyan, she knew all of the Saiyans who were currently still living. She didn't think any could have escaped her detection, not after the way she and her people had scoured the galaxy looking for every remaining Saiyan.
 
Trunks smirked then, and in that instant one might almost have thought he was Vegeta himself.
 
“I am my father's son. I am a son of the House of Vegeta-sei and the Heir to the throne of Vegeta-sei. I am Trunks Briefs Vegeta, and I am my father's son!”
 
And with that he allowed his ki to explode around him, causing him to turn into Super Saiyan, his golden hair flowing in the air above his head. For the first time since they had met her, Kabu was rendered speechless with surprise and amazement.
 
To be continued.....
 
~~~~~*~~~~~
 
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness... Kabu learns of Trunks' parentage, Vegeta and Kabu discuss Saiyan colonization, and Goku and Yamcha get jobs.