Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Light in the Darkness ❯ Saiyan Civics ( Chapter 97 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Light in the Darkness - Part 97: Saiyan Civics
by Mia Skywalker & Wataruo
 
PAIRING: None
RATING: PG-13
WARNINGS: none
C&C: Please! ^_^
DISCLAIMER: Neither of us owns any of the DBZ characters or anything about DBZ, but we both wish we owned the Saiyans. All of them. At least all of the ones with hair. And yes, we're including Yamcha, Ranma, and Ryouga in that, now you know. Dragonball Z and the associated characters are owned by Toei, Viz, Akira Toriyama, and FUNimation. Ranma 1/2 and the characters of Ranma Saotome and Ryouga Hibiki are owned by Viz, Rumiko Takahashi, and some Japanese studio I don't know the name of. We do own what we've written here, and our specific storyline, just not Dragonball or Ranma 1/2 themselves. We make no money off of any of these guys, nor off this fic. We just have fun writing it. Oh, I guess we do own Hakusai and Serori. But I doubt anyone cares. ^_~
SUMMARY: Kabu learns of Trunks' parentage, Vegeta and Kabu discuss Saiyan colonization, and Goku and Yamcha get jobs.
NOTES: The rest of this story is completely unbeta'd, as I can't seem to find a beta who will be as brutal or thorough as I like, and will get me chapters back in what I feel is a timely manner. I have, however, had training as an editor, and I've edited the remainder of this pretty thoroughly. I would simply like people to be aware that no one else has gone through it to catch any errors or inconsistencies, so it may be more flawed than I realize.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Nice one, brat, Vegeta thought to himself. That should give her something to think about.
 
“As you can see General,” Vegeta said aloud, “my son is capable of ruling after my death.”
 
Vegeta eyed his son from under lowered brows. “You can stop showing off now, brat. You aren't the only Super Saiyan in the universe any more.”
 
Kabu hadn't removed her eyes from Trunks but was still staring at him speechlessly. But he had no tail. How could he be a Saiyan with no tail? She knew why her sons had no tails; she'd had them genetically altered. If this boy had no tail because he was half human, then she knew her people would never accept him. A tailless Saiyan - no matter his lineage - could not rule Vegeta-sei. The other Saiyans wouldn't permit it.
 
“Trunks, stand down.” Bulma sounded exasperated. “You're tearing up the house.”
 
Her words were correct; the energy from his transformation, as well as from continuing to sustain the form, were causing the floor, walls, and ceiling to tear apart. Bulma rather critically realized the kitchen was no longer usable at the moment, and she was more than a little irritated. It would take a long time to repair that part of the house unless she set all of her robots to repairing it. She supposed she could do that, but it still wouldn't be usable for about a day. Well, at least the robots didn't need to sleep, so they could work on the repairs overnight. Plus she had capsule houses, so she had kitchens she could use in emergencies. She could send Goku and Gohan home for the evening. And the other Saiyans she didn't even want around at all.
 
Trunks powered down, then looked around at the destruction in embarrassment. “Sorry, mother,” he apologized contritely. Bulma just waved a hand dismissively, still looking irritated.
 
Kabu's eyes narrowed. “The Princess has reached Super Saiyan status, but she is royalty. How did you achieve this?”
 
Bulma arched an eyebrow at the tall woman, even as Trunks began to bristle again. “Weren't you listening? He's royalty as well. He's mine and Vegeta's son. He came from the future to help us prevent a disaster, but he is our son. He's already proven that to us. And why do you assume that it takes royal blood to become a Super Saiyan? Goku was the first to reach that state and he is, as Vegeta's always harping about, merely a 'third class Saiyan'.”
 
Kabu's eyes swung to Bulma and narrowed. “Who is this 'Goku'? How did he reach Super Saiyan?” Goku was not a Saiyan name! How could a non-Saiyan reach Super Saiyan status? She didn't know why she was demanding the information from this human woman, but perhaps it was because the human female was the one answering her.
 
Bulma simply shrugged in reply. “I don't know. You'll have to ask him.” She pointed to Goku who, despite the destruction around them, was still happily shoveling food into his mouth. “When he became a Super Saiyan and killed Frieza the first time I wasn't there, so I have no idea.”
 
Kabu's eyes now narrowed on Goku. “How?” she demanded. “How did you become a Super Saiyan? Our scouters say your power level isn't even very high. How did you manage it?” Was it something that anyone could do? Was there some trick? Or was it something they had never thought of before?
 
Goku paused in his eating when he realized that the Saiyan general was staring down at him. “Oh, I don't really know. It just happened.” He smiled at her apologetically when she glared at him. “I know you don't believe me, I can see it in your ki. But I am telling you the truth. I didn't even know what a Super Saiyan was until Frieza told me that was what I had become.”
 
Vegeta growled. “It seems impossible that this nitwit achieved it first. Especially a low-born third-class Saiyan, but it happened. As for why you can't see him on your scouters....” Vegeta smirked. “He is simply masking his ki, hiding his power. It is something that comes naturally to him, and is surprisingly easy to learn.”
 
Goku shrugged. “I could teach you if you want,” he offered Kabu. “I don't even know that I do it anymore. It's real useful if you can sense others like we can.”
 
“She won't have time, Kakarot!” Vegeta snarled at Goku in annoyance. “She's going to be finding us suitable planets. Aren't you, General?” He scowled at the tall female Saiyan.
 
She frowned back at him. “Suitable. For what?” She had a suspicion she knew what he was asking, but she wasn't going to make any more assumptions.
 
“You have been looking for planets suitable for colonization, have you not?” he demanded of her. “You had to have something in mind for what you would do after Frieza was destroyed. Perhaps a planet you had trained your soldiers on?”
 
Kabu nodded, then pulled out a small hand-held device and tapped some buttons on it. She handed it to him so he could see what was on the screen, which was written in Saiyago. “Here is a list of planets we encountered that would be suitable for Saiyan life. Some of them are inhabited, some are not. All would be suitable.”
 
“Not an inhabited one, Vegeta,” Bulma warned in a low voice. At his scowl, she scowled right back. “Inhabited ones, even if you remove the current inhabitants, would probably be too... tame, for a Saiyan civilization. Your people take a lot to feed. You'd be better off with a world that hasn't been civilized in any manner.”
 
She also didn't approve of the idea that he might destroy the rightful inhabitants of a planet, but she knew that argument wouldn't be acceptable to him. So she gave him a reason that would.
 
“And one you would find suitable as well?” he grumbled at her, annoyed that she was bossing him again. “We shall see what we have.”
 
He studied the pad Kabu had given him intently for several minutes, discarding a few right off because they were inhabited. After he had eliminated those - and a few others that for one reason or another he didn't think they would find acceptable - he handed the pad back to Kabu. “This is your list. Verify that these planets are still suitable and report back. A lot of things could have happened since you have been to each of these worlds. Trunks, you will go with them.”
 
“Me?” Trunks frowned at his father's command. Not that he really objected; he had intended to go with them anyway. He wanted to explore, to see outer space.... But he had also just met his father for the first time, and he had wanted to spend some time with him. “When do you want us to leave, father?”
 
“Yes you,” Vegeta snapped at his son. “You need the experience. And General....” Vegeta turned his gaze to the Saiyan general. “His orders should be treated as if I were there myself. You will leave tomorrow, but brat, I want you back here in a year.”
 
::Your mother will need you when she is near her time,:: Vegeta told the lavender-haired boy privately. ::Have I made myself clear?::
 
“Tomorrow?” Trunks sounded a little alarmed. He hadn't wanted to leave so soon, not after finally seeing his father for the first time.
 
Bulma frowned and shook her head almost imperceptibly. She was unaware it was a signal Trunks knew from his own past, but he watched her closely. “Trunks, you have to go. You're the only one who can make sure that the planet she chooses is uninhabited. We're all well aware of a Saiyan's idea of 'uninhabited',” she shot a sardonic glance at Vegeta, “so you're going to have to be there to check. Make sure they don't conveniently make a planet become uninhabited, just because they like it or something.”
 
Trunks nodded, and then looked back at his father. “We'll be back in eight months, mother.” He was watching his father carefully. “I think it's only right for me to be here when I'm born.”
 
Bulma looked at him in surprise, then smiled and blushed slightly. “Yes, maybe that would be a good idea. I think I'd like to have you here as well.”
 
“Eight months?” Vegeta frowned. “You were born early?”
 
“Early?” Bulma arched an eyebrow at Vegeta curiously. “How long does a Saiyan gestation take, anyway? Humans only carry for 39 weeks. If he comes back in eight months, he should be back just in time.”
 
Yamcha looked at Hakusai with a slightly anxious expression. “How long are Saiyan women pregnant?” he asked, sounding worried.
 
“Thirteen months,” she replied, smiling at him reassuringly. “But it may be less because you are half Saiyan. I suppose I could give birth anytime between nine months and thirteen months.”
 
Kabu frowned. She considered the conversation to be both inappropriate and irrelevant. Yet for some reason.... “I carried all three of my sons for full term. Yamcha's father was fully human, and the other two, their father was....” She hesitated a moment, but didn't continue the thought. “It may be more dependent upon the fact that you are full Saiyan, rather than what my son is. Although this makes me wonder if a human female can carry a Saiyan infant to term.” Her eyes narrowed as she studied Trunks dubiously, who returned her gaze impassively.
 
Vegeta frowned; he didn't like the turn of this conversation. He had spoken to Bulma once about whether she might have difficulty carrying the child, and this seemed to be confirming his fears.
 
“Chi-chi seems fine,” Hakusai commented, looking puzzled. “And she is completely human.”
 
“No she's not,” Yamcha said immediately. He blinked when the others looked at him in surprise. “Didn't you know?” he asked curiously. “Her father is Gyu Mao, the Ox King. That's not just a title thrown on him arbitrarily. He's a demon. Chi-Chi is half demon.” He blinked at the others who, all except Goku and Bulma, stared at him in surprise. “You didn't know that?”
 
Hakusai looked over at her nephew again, her concern showing. “Then we should be careful. Trunks, do you know if your mother had problems with you? Did Bulma ever say she had trouble with you? When she gave birth I mean?”
 
Trunks was watching Bulma, his face still impassive. It took him several minutes before he shook his head finally. “She never told me whether it was easy or difficult. She never talked about it; she rarely spoke about anything in her past. The only thing she ever talked much about was my father.”
 
He was telling the literal truth - she had never said anything to him about it. He didn't say out loud what he had learned from his grandparents before they had passed away.
 
“A lot of good that tells us brat,” Vegeta grumbled at his eldest son. “We will just have to do whatever is necessary to keep her from harm.”
 
::I won't let anything happen to you, woman,:: Vegeta thought at Bulma, his mental tone fierce and protective. ::I swear to you.::
 
Bulma blinked at him. “You won't be able to do anything about it, Vegeta,” she said out loud. “This isn't something you can protect me from. Anything that is going to happen to me will happen. Although obviously I survive, because I lived to build the time machine that sent our son back here, didn't I?”
 
Vegeta glared at her, silently admitting to himself that she was right. “Yes, you did.”
 
Yamcha smiled. “So then everything will turn out ok.”
 
“I still think you should be careful.” Vegeta eyed her critically, feeling that she suddenly looked more vulnerable to him. “No need to take risks.”
 
Bulma gave a nonchalant shrug. “I'll be careful.” She seemed to dismiss his concern. “You worry too much, Vegeta. I'm not going to die, so what is there to worry about?”
 
::If you die, woman, so will I,:: he thought quietly. ::Isn't that enough?::
 
::But I'm not going to die, Vegeta.:: Her mental voice sounded exasperated. ::So will you please stop worrying? Would you want me to worry every time you run into battle with Goku and the others? Please stop it. Women have been having babies since the beginning of time. I'll be fine!::
 
::Not Saiyan babies,:: he retorted, irritated at her apparent unconcern.
 
“She will be strong enough. I wouldn't have chosen a weak woman for the mother of my son.” He glared at Kabu as he spoke. “So I will have nothing to worry about. You have a mission with my Heir. See to it that nothing happens to him.”
 
Kabu managed to keep her face from betraying her anger. She had to remember that he was the monarch. She was going to need to get used to the idea of taking orders from someone again.
 
“As you command, Your Majesty.” She turned to Trunks. “Your Highness, you will need an honor guard when you are on my ship. I will assign my strongest warrior as your guard.”
 
Trunks frowned at her. “I don't need anyone protecting me!” he protested. “I can take care of myself!”
 
“You need a bodyguard, brat.” Vegeta folded his arms over his chest, as he gazed at his son. “All of the royal line had a bodyguard. I had one, and you will as well.”
 
“You don't have one now,” Trunks pointed out sharply. “If everyone in the family needs one, where is yours? And where is mother's?”
 
“Kakarot is the logical choice for Bulma. Yamcha.” He arched a brow at the large warrior when the younger man blinked in surprise at him. “You will have the honor of being mine.”
 
Yamcha stared at him in shock. “Me?” He continued to stare at Vegeta, and scratched his head in confusion. “But... but you and Goku are much stronger than I am. You've both gone Super Saiyan, and I haven't. I mean, how could I protect you, if you're a Super Saiyan and I'm not?” He looked embarrassed. “Not that I wouldn't be happy to do it, Vegeta, but... I just don't know if I'm good enough. I mean, surely one of my mother's fighters would be stronger than me. Even my brother has gone Super Saiyan, but not me.”
 
Vegeta chuckled, not quite the response Yamcha had expected. “Oh? You have no idea how much your power has increased since you have become Saiyan, do you?”
 
He sent a mental comment to the other man privately. ::I'd rather have someone I trust watching my back than one of your mother's people.::
 
Hakusai linked her arm through Yamcha's and smiled up at him. “This is a hell of an honor he is bestowing on you. Not just anyone would be given the position he is offering you.”
 
::Take it, Yamcha, please? For me? I would feel better with you keeping an eye on him.::
 
Yamcha looked down into Hakusai's eyes, then looked back at Vegeta, confusion still written all over his face. “All right,” he agreed, sounding puzzled. “What do I do? Am I supposed to bow down or something?” He started to get down on his knees, uncertain what he should be doing.
 
“Quit that!” Vegeta snapped, getting Yamcha's startled attention. “You do not have to bow to me.” He glared fiercely at the tall warrior. “If I want you to grovel, I will inform you, idiot,” he snorted, folding his arms across his chest, managing to look even more annoyed than usual.
 
“All right.” Yamcha stood up again, putting one hand behind his head in embarrassment. “I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.”
 
Bulma giggled at the two of them. “I think all you need to do is stand around and look impressive, Yamcha. You should do a pretty good job of that now!”
 
Vegeta shot Bulma a glare that would have sent any of Frieza's old minions running for cover. Bulma only giggled more. “You are not helping, woman,” he growled at her.
 
“Oh, chill out, Vegeta!” Bulma stuck her tongue out at him. “One of these days we're going to pull that stick out of your butt.” She wrinkled her nose suddenly. “Ewww! Now, there's an unpleasant image!”
 
“Woman...” Vegeta growled a warning. He shot Hakusai and Serori irritated looks when they tried unsuccessfully to stifle their laughter. “Do not encourage them.”
 
Bulma burst into laughter again. “Vegeta, you're going to have to learn to lighten up!” When his scowl only deepened the harder she laughed, she walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Oh, calm down, Vegeta. If you're a good boy, I'll even give you a reward!” She fluttered her eyelashes at him coyly.
 
Vegeta snorted, trying to look angry with her, but couldn't when Bulma was pressed so tightly to him. “Kabu,” he snapped to get the General's attention and to get his mind off his mate. “You will leave tomorrow at first light. And you, brat....” His gaze turned to his son. “You will be ready to go with them.'
 
“Yes, your majesty.” Kabu nodded her head towards Vegeta, and turned to Trunks.
 
Trunks looked at his parents and nodded. “All right, father. But if you don't mind, I'd like to stay here for one more night. Do you mind?” he asked Kabu.
 
The Saiyan woman shook her head. “No, Your Highness. It will give me a chance to prepare suitable quarters for you.”
 
“That's not necessary,” Trunks protested. “I don't really need preferential treatment.”
 
“You will have the best, brat,” Vegeta interrupted. “As my Heir, you are entitled to it. “
 
Trunks opened his mouth to protest again, but Bulma interrupted, watching him from her position in Vegeta's embrace. “Oh, go ahead, Trunks. I know how you grew up. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little luxury or something for a while? It'll be fun!”
 
She pulled away from Vegeta, ignoring his scowl, and went out of the kitchen and into the foyer. She used a small key to unlock a chest of drawers, and pulled out several boxes that all except Kabu recognized as her capsule cases. She paused thoughtfully for several minutes, then put all of them back in except for two and locked the chest up again. She walked over to Trunks and pressed both cases into his hand.
 
“Here,” she informed him, not giving him a chance to argue. “I want you to have these. Just in case. You know how to use them.”
 
She gave him a significant look and he realized what she wasn't saying. He would keep the capsules, but he wouldn't inform the other Saiyans of what they were or how to use them.
 
“Thank you, mother,” he said quietly, slipping the two cases into his pocket. He turned to Kabu. “I'll see you in the morning. If you want to come here and have breakfast, I suppose that would be the best.”
 
Kabu shook her head. “It is not my place to impose on the royal family. I will await you in the ship.” With that, she turned and headed out, joining her two lieutenants in the yard, and the three Saiyans flew off towards their spaceship.
 
Bulma blinked in faint puzzlement as she watched them leave. “Well, I suppose we should have some dinner. The only one who's eaten has been Goku.” She gave him a wry look. “Goku, don't you think your wife would like you at home?”
 
Goku blinked, then raised a hand to the back of his head. “Yes, I think I will be in for it as it is. I'll be around if you need me.”
 
“Goku....” Bulma giggled suddenly. “I don't think I'm going to need a bodyguard tonight,” she teased him. “I think I'll be just fine with my bodyguard right here.” She sidled up to Vegeta again, leaning against him and sliding her hands around his waist. “I think I should be safe enough for now,” she purred.
 
Yamcha smiled at her, then threw a glance at Goku, who was watching Bulma with one hand behind his head and a completely puzzled expression.
 
“Hey, Bulma,” Yamcha interjected suddenly. “If you're making Goku your bodyguard, are you going to pay him for that?”
 
“What?” Bulma looked over at him, startled. “What do you mean?”
 
“Well... you know how Chi-Chi is always saying that he can't do anything by being a 'good-for-nothing fighter', right? That she's always getting on his case because he can't make a living at it? Well, if you pay him to be your bodyguard, then she can't get mad at him for doing his job, right?”
 
Bulma blinked in surprise. “I guess so,” she agreed. “I don't see why not. But if we're paying Goku, shouldn't we pay you as well?”
 
“Well, I don't really need the money. I make a lot of money playing baseball....”
 
“But you won't really be able to do that anymore, will you?” Bulma pointed out. “If you're Vegeta's bodyguard, won't you have to stop playing?”
 
Yamcha paled at that slightly. “I hadn't really thought about that. I... I guess I'd have to.”
 
He felt uncomfortable at that thought. He knew he would much rather be fighting or training than playing baseball - and he would get a lot of both of those if he was Vegeta's bodyguard, Vegeta would insist on it, he was sure - but the thought that he wasn't supporting himself the way he used to.... He felt like he would be living off of their generosity, and that idea palled on him. He might not have the pride that Vegeta had, but he was too proud to live off of someone else's money.
 
“There's got to be some way to work it out,” he muttered to himself.
 
“Well,” Bulma said, having no idea what was tormenting Yamcha, “Goku, you can tell Chi-Chi you have a job now. If she asks you what, tell her Vegeta insists that I have a bodyguard, and that I insisted it be you. Let her know I'll be paying you, oh....” She thought for a moment. “Two thousand zenni a month. So since you now have a paying job, we'll expect you over sometimes. Although probably mostly for training, or when I have to go out of Vegeta's sight, I'd imagine. Like company meetings and such. Do you think you could handle that?”
 
Goku looked thoughtful for a moment before nodding once. “Yes, I think Chi-Chi will be impressed when I tell her that I am working for you.” He smiled rather absently at Bulma before turning to leave. “I will be over tomorrow morning to see Trunks off. I suppose bodyguards need to be around, grand occasion and all.”
 
Vegeta arched a brow. “Sometimes Kakarotto, you surprise me. Yes, I do want you here when my son leaves.”
 
It would be more impressive that way, Vegeta thought. And the way things should have been all along. He couldn't help but smile secretively to himself at the realization that he finally had people to rule. And soon he would have a homeworld again.
 
“You will be here in the morning,” he ordered Goku.
 
The taller Saiyan nodded. “I'd better be heading home then. Chi-Chi is going to have a fit.” He waved as he left, smiling at everyone as if nothing had changed.
 
It was then Vegeta's stomach began to growl, announcing to the world that it needed attention. Serori started giggling again. “Vegeta-san, I think you need to eat.”
 
Vegeta scowled at her. “No shit, brat,” he muttered, earning a chuckle from his older sister.
 
“We should probably eat and head to bed,” Hakusai suggested. “Tomorrow will be an important day. It starts the search for our new home planet.”
 
“Indeed,” Vegeta responded sounding more than a little satisfied with the thought. His gaze met Bulma's and he cocked his head. “Soon you will be the Queen of Vegeta-sei. The first in one thousand years. Think you can handle it?”
 
“Of course I can handle it,” Bulma said, looking at Vegeta in surprise. “Why wouldn't I? I'm the most intelligent woman in the world!” She looked at the dinner table, and the remains of the meal Goku had left, and the damage that Trunks had done. The replicators at least were undamaged, and still capable of producing food.
 
“Let's clean this up, and make some more for the rest of you.” Yamcha headed towards the replicators, getting ready to program some more food, while Bulma programmed the repair robots to begin working on fixing the room itself.
 
“You will be leaving this world and starting a new life on another.” Vegeta studied her gravely. “Leaving Earth and all your friends behind doesn't bother you?”
 
Bulma froze abruptly. That was something that had never occurred to her. “Vegeta,” she said in a strained voice. “I can't leave here! I have obligations! Responsibilities! I'm the richest woman in the world; I own a company that employs more people than any other in the world! I can't just leave!”
 
Vegeta arched a brow. “No?” he asked. “How do you expect to rule with me if you aren't there?”
 
“But I....” Bulma was looking more and more distressed. “Can't we rule from here?” Her voice ended on a petulant whine.
 
Vegeta sighed. “Baka. You can't rule Saiyans from a distance. I'll need to be there. I want you there with me. But I can't force you to leave here.”
 
“I....” Bulma sat down, suddenly feeling deflated. “I suppose we'd have to.” They could see her unhappiness in the shift of her muscles, the way her shoulders slumped forward. “I guess you couldn't let your people down. And I guess... I guess this world doesn't need me as much as yours needs you. But....”
 
She sat up suddenly, her back straightening. “But if we leave, and Goku is my bodyguard, then that means he'd have to take his family with him as well. And I don't know if Chi-Chi would like that very much. She doesn't really care too much for Saiyans.”
 
Chi-chi didn't really care too much for Vegeta, Bulma thought to herself, but she didn't share that thought with Vegeta.
 
Vegeta stood up and approached her, and sank down to his knees in front of her. “It won't be for at least two years.” When she looked at him, he smirked. “Do you think I want to leave right now? The planet has to be made livable before I would want you and the brat there.” He placed his hand on her belly. “Besides, there is nothing stopping us from visiting here, is there?”
 
“Three years,” Bulma corrected him, and at his questioning look she smiled slightly. “We have to fight those androids and that monster Cell that Trunks warned us about, don't we? I'd imagine that with this many Saiyans, you'll make short work of him. He won't stand a chance against all of you.”
 
She reached forward, cupping his cheek in one hand and gazing deeply into his eyes.
 
“I had almost forgotten about that. You would be safer elsewhere. But I know nothing will keep you from staying now.” He closed his eyes and leaned into her hand, enjoying the subtle caress.
 
“Of course I wouldn't leave my planet when it was in danger! Have I ever done anything like that? I didn't run away from Namek, did I?” She looked up at Trunks and winked at him. “And I don't get the impression that the Bulma of his time ran away from anything, either. Of course I'm going to be here! You guys wouldn't be able to figure anything out if I wasn't, would you?”
 
Trunks smiled slightly but remained silent. Bulma was right; his mother had never run away from anything. In fact, it was her bravery and sacrifice that had given him the chance to come back here and change things. If he hadn't come back, then everything would have gone as it had before; his father would now be dead, and so would his aunt and her unborn child. No, he was both proud and glad that his mother was as brave and as intelligent as she was. He might have gotten the glory, but if it hadn't been for her he wouldn't have had the chance.
 
Vegeta opened his eyes, chuckling as he did so. “Good thing I am married to a genius, ne?” He sounded faintly amused. He stood up and looked down at her. “Let's eat woman, I am starving.”
 
“Help yourself, Vegeta.” She gestured to the platters that the robots were bringing to the table, now that the cleaning robots had cleared off the mess Goku had made as well as the worst of the debris. She smiled at the two youngsters who hadn't paid any attention to their conversation, and then watched as the six Saiyans devoured enough food to feed a small army. Compared to them what she ate was hardly enough to sustain a mouse, but it was quite enough for her. She could never figure out why Saiyans ate as much as they did, but she knew that they needed it, and that without that much food they would grow weaker.
 
After all of them were finished eating, she programmed the robots to clean up the new mess, and the seven of them headed into the living room. Bulma wrapped her arm around Vegeta, her head leaning on his shoulder, while Yamcha drew Hakusai towards him. The two children followed them into the room, but seconds later they were running upstairs towards Gohan's room, giggling about something the adults couldn't understand.
 
Bulma stopped them with a quick shout. “Gohan! Serori! Don't stay up too late tonight! Remember that we have to be up early tomorrow! You do want to see Trunks off, don't you?”
 
Gohan paused briefly, and called down to her from the top of the stairs. “Yeah, we'll make sure we're up on time. Vegeta-sensei? Are we going to be training tomorrow?”
 
One eyebrow arched. “Any reason why we wouldn't be brat?” he asked dryly.
 
“Yay!” Gohan beamed happily down at him. “We didn't train enough today, Vegeta-sensei! I want you to teach me some more!”
 
Vegeta rolled his eyes in annoyance. “If I don't kill you first,” he grumbled, pulling Bulma closer to his side, when the two children left. “Why are children so loud?”
 
“You'll find out soon enough.” Hakusai remarked dryly, as she snuggled against Yamcha. “You'll have one in about nine months. And a nephew or a niece in a year or so.” She barely managed to stifle a yawn. “I think I am heading to bed. I am really worn out.” She let go of Yamcha and stretched.
 
“Yes.” Vegeta agreed with her, though his eyes were on Bulma. “That isn't a bad idea. Let's go to bed, woman.”
 
~~~*~~~
 
Yamcha walked with Hakusai halfway up the stairs, and then on an impulse suddenly scooped her up and levitated the rest of the way up the stairs. He smiled down at her surprised look, then bent down and kissed her before she could begin to protest. He nudged their bedroom door open with his hip and then set her down once he had entered the room, staring down into her eyes with an expectant smile on his face.
 
Hakusai looked up at him, pretending not to know what the smile was for, and backed away from him. “I think I am going to have to invest in a stool. You are getting way too tall for me.”
 
She looked up at him, mischief written all over face as she silently gazed at him. She knew what he wanted; it was easy to tell by the way he was holding himself. But that didn't mean she was going to make it easy for him. “Thank you for taking Vegeta up on his offer. He trusts you more than he admits if he gave you that job.”
 
“You think so?” Yamcha asked in surprise. He was thoughtful as he and Hakusai undressed. The changes in the relationships between everyone had been so sudden and recent that sometimes it was a little too much to take in. As he slipped into bed he glanced down at Hakusai to note tears filling her eyes. He stared in concern as he gently brushed a tear from her cheek.
 
“Are you all right?” he asked quietly. “Does it bother you, all these Saiyans being here after all this time?” He wondered if it reminded her of what she had missed out on, not being raised on Vegeta-sei. Did she regret that? Did she regret never having known her homeworld?
 
When he continued to look doubtful Hakusai rolled her eyes and realized that he needed a little more direct reassurance from her. “I am just happy. Happy that I let Goku talk me into looking for my brother. If I hadn't, I never would have met you. And I would have missed all this. I have everything I could ever want. Or ever need.” She gazed into his dark brown eyes. “Does that make sense?”
 
Yamcha studied her a moment longer before his expression eased and he nodded in relief. This was just one more of those confusing woman type things that he never understood. Hakusai confused him a lot less than Bulma did, but there were still times he found her unfathomable. Well, perhaps one day he would understand, or - as he suspected might be closer to the truth - maybe he never would, but it hardly mattered.
 
He smiled at her, pulling her more closely against him with his free arm, the other arm tucked firmly underneath her. He closed his eyes as he felt fatigue beginning to overtake him. “It's been a long day, anata,” he murmured. “Maybe we should get some sleep.”
 
“Umm hmmm.” Hakusai willingly snuggled against her lover, her hand reaching up to toy with the softness of his hair as she pressed herself closer. “Good night,” she whispered as she felt herself beginning to fall asleep.
 
So much had happened, in such a short time. It was incredible really, to think that after her first husband's death she would ever be this content, so completely satisfied with the way things had turned out. Shinjo had once told her that everything happened for a reason. It had been one of the first things he had taught her. 'No matter how miserable you are Hakusai, or how bad you think it is, life has a way of working itself out. Nature has a balance. Once you accept this, you will find what you are looking for.'
 
You were right, Shinjo. I found what I was looking for - a place to belong, somewhere to call home. And I found it. I found Yamcha. She listened to Yamcha's rhythmic breathing, then looked up into his face, noting that although his eyes were closed he wasn't quite asleep. Hakusai pulled herself up, pressed a soft kiss on mouth and whispered before she settled down to sleep.
 
“Ai shiteru, anata. Always.”
 
A smile played softly about Yamcha's lips. He didn't say a word, but simply pulled her more closely up against his side before finally drifting off.
 
~~~*~~~
 
Trunks smiled knowingly at them as he watched his mother slip her hand into Vegeta's and head up the west stairs. He watched Yamcha and Hakusai head up the east stairs, and then he turned to Yamcha's two half brothers. “Did my mother give you guys rooms?”
 
Ryouga put one hand behind his head and blushed in embarrassment. “She did... but I don't know where it was.”
 
Ranma chuckled at Ryouga's discomfort. “Yo, P-chan! You gettin' lost again?” Ryouga didn't reply, but his blush deepened.
 
Trunks, not understanding the exchange, simply shrugged. “Well, I can show you two to some of my mother's spare rooms. Come on with me.” He headed up the east stairs towards the guest rooms, the two boys trailing behind.
 
Ranma allowed Trunks to get a bit ahead, and he turned to Ryouga, whispering softly. “Yo, P-chan. You said you ain't gotten wet since you got here, right?” Ryouga just shook his head and Ranma grinned. “Neither've I. They're gonna find out sooner or later, though.”
 
Trunks glanced back at them curiously. “Why? What would we find out about you getting wet?”
 
Ranma glanced swiftly at Trunks, staring at him with narrowed eyes. He was unaware of the sensitive hearing of Saiyans, so hadn't realized Trunks would be able to hear him. “Uh... it's nothin',” he muttered suspiciously, trying to determine if the other boy had been deliberately eavesdropping or if it had been unintentional.
 
Trunks shrugged, and then continued forward again. “Here. These two rooms look all right,” he told them, opening a couple of doors. “Someone will get you up in the morning.” He wondered why Ranma had been so concerned about getting wet, but couldn't imagine what it would be.
 
He continued on to his own room and settled in, making sure to set his own internal alarm to wake him up early in the morning. It wouldn't be good to show up late for his own departure. He had the feeling that what happened the next day was going to be pivotal in his life, and was both dreading and anticipating the outcome. He also knew he would miss his mother, and Earth, and he regretted that he wouldn't get to be around his father more. He hadn't had as much chance to get to know him as he had wanted. He just hoped he would get the opportunity later.
 
Because of these thoughts churning through his mind he didn't get nearly as much sleep that night as he otherwise would have, unable to stop thinking about the past, the present, and the future.
 
 
 
To be continued.....
 
~~~~~*~~~~~
 
And in the next exciting episode of DragonBall Z: A Light in the Darkness... Early morning lemon
 
~~~~~*~~~~~
 
To my readers: I apologize for not having posted in over a week. I had pneumonia for the past two weeks; the last chapter I posted while I was very sick, and I didn't feel satisfied with my edits because of that. I decided not to do edits or post until I was feeling well enough that I would be satisfied with my work again.
 
Now on to...
 
Reviewer Responses
 
Dutchfangirl: Well... I actually like Kabu. Well, not really like, but she has a purpose in this story. And she isn't exactly what Hakusai told the others, is she? :) I guess the idea I had is that appearances can be deceiving; just because her actions seemed to mean one thing, that doesn't mean her true intent was obvious. She's kind of there for contrast with the other Saiyans in the cast as well, I suppose. As for my plans, well, the story is almost over, so you'll see fairly soon. We were going to write a sequel that followed them more closely (it was going to be a Trunks story), but although we started it, we both drifted away from DBZ and it never really got very far.
 
Rena Tsukino: Yes, I liked that last bit of that last chapter. Nice dramatic emphasis there, which is why I cut the chapter off at exactly that spot. :) Once again, appearances were deceiving; Kabu assumed certain things based upon appearances, and her assumptions were incorrect. Just as Hakusai's assumptions about Kabu's original actions were incorrect.