Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ The Marriage Of True Minds ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

"Metamorphosis: The Marriage Of True Minds" by Abraxas (2009-12-21)
 
I wish to be unashamed.
 
Sokka admits into his father's teepee; I enter eager to meet the chief.
 
The interlude is welcome. It breaks the laze of summer. And defers the teaching of Toph and Katara - those motions that stirs the spirits. They intend to help me reconnect with Nature but my fire spirit comes from within and I wither tired of it.
 
I sit amazed at Sokka and Hakoda interacting. Together their wit is irresistible. I cannot help but laugh at the troublemaking between Batto and Hakoda. And I cannot help but feel melancholy as to see that family magnifies a void that substitute cannot fulfill.
 
Hakoda lights the pipe, grasps my shoulder, and asks: "Batto says you wanted a trade with that stallion."
 
I struggle to form a thought; Sokka laughs as Toph asks Katara a question about my capture.
 
"It is not unheard of," says Batto - the chief's right-hand man - as if reviving a talk interrupted. Recall Paku's involvement with the Dragon of the West - a white."
 
"He vouched, strongly, in favor of the boy," Hakoda adds. "Like he knew Fire Eye already."
 
"That name is familiar," I say - I want to say he could be my uncle but I do not yet master their language.
 
"Indeed, you and Sokka use Paku's teepee. Sokka was supposed to be a man of medicine - like Paku - they share many traits."
 
"I wish to be with Fire Eye," Sokka declares.
 
"I wish to be with Sokka," I, too, announce.
 
I take Sokka by the hand and we interlock fingers between us. Everyone sees it. Even Toph appears to be aware of the gesture. We soar, unchained, freed. And I forget what I was.
 
Hakoda squeezes a grip atop of our hands - then, nodding, returns his pipe to his lips.
 
END