Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ On The Porch Steps ❯ Gift on the Porch Step ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On the Porch Steps
 
Authoress: Kimpisces
 
Summary: Kai is going through life day after day doing the same old things. Starting to get bored, Kai gets a very life alternating thing on his porch step?
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Kai, Rei or anything associated with Beyblade. I just borrow their characters so that I don't have to think of a whole bunch of my own...i'm just lazy...yes *shifty eyes*...lazy
 
Rating: ummm...T? Is that what is now? What the hell is with people not letting us use the movie rating system anyways? I don't see the point in that...this is right up there with why people think that being silent is a good way to protest something....nobody's going to notice you if you don't make some noise...seriously...
 
Warning: Swearing, slight OOC, a couple of OCs and that's about it ...i think...
 
Song: Insensitive by Jann Arden..it's a cool song...so I'm using it for scene breaks
 
Authoress Note: This is that interesting second chapter I promised you...see, it's much more interesting that the last one LoL And I apologize for the long wait...I have a lot of homework lately so I have to worry about that stuff first.
 
Chapter Two: Gift on the Porch Step
 
Kai went to the living room to grab his labtop when he heard something outside the door. Kai grabbed the gun that he had in his kitchen drawer for protection and slowly made his way to the sliding glass door.
 
Carefully he moved the curtain away from the sliding door and was relieved to find that no one was waiting for him on the step. He opened the glass door, still cautious, and slowly stepped outside. He looked around. There didn't seem to be anything there but he wasn't stupid enough to think that someone couldn't be hiding in wait, hoping that he would think that.
 
Kai glanced at the bushes and didn't see anything move. Not even the best criminal could sit still for this long. He turned to go back into the house. As he did, his foot kicked something on the porch step.
 
Kai looked down in confusion and frowned. There seemed to be some sort of a basket on his step. Probably a gift from one of his female admirers. Kai rolled his eyes.
 
"If you actually think this is going to win my affection, you're wrong," Kai called out to the bushes. "But since it's here, I'm going to take it in anyways. I advise you to get the hell out of my property though before I call the cops."
 
Kai knelt to pick up the basket and was surprised to find that it was slightly heavier than he would have thought it would be. Kai ignored the weight; after all, when he wasn't working all day he was working out all day. What was a couple extra pounds?
 
Dropping the basket on the counter Kai got ready to walk away, he had a lot of work to get done and didn't have the time to fawn over what some woman decided to leave him on his step. How she even got passed his fence and security, Kai would never know. Looks like he needed to have another talk with his security officers again. This was getting ridiculous.
 
Suddenly Kai heard a rustling noise from behind him, frowning Kai turned back to the basket and stared at it. Why would the basket move? Unless there was something in it, but who would put something alive in a basket to leave on ~his~ step?
 
Moving closer to the basket Kai saw it move itself. What the hell was going on? Kai grabbed for the blanket and ripped it off of the top of the basket, and then moved forward again to look inside of the basket.
 
The second he did a loud shrilling noise starting and something grabbed his nose.
 
"Ah!" Kai put his hand over his nose in comfort and looked down at the basket. What looked back up at him made his eyes widen.
 
There was a human baby in the basket. A human baby was sitting in the basket. A human baby was looking up at him with some kind of strange curiousity. A human baby had just grabbed his nose. A human baby had been left for him on the doorstep.
 
Kai glanced down at the baby. He looked up at him. Kai shook his head and turned away. He had to phone someone who knew what the hell was going on.
 
Maybe this was just a prank and the guys at work had planned it all. Probably the mother would be here in about half an hour to pick it up, giving Kai just enough time to go crazy with it. There had to be some logical explaination for why he had a baby in his house.
 
Kai started to walk to the living room where his phone was located. He didn't even make it halfway before the baby started to bawl its eyes out.
 
Kai pressed his hands to his ears, trying to block out the sound but it didn't seem to work. Kai growled and turned back around, heading for the baby. As soon as the baby could see Kai again, it stopped crying. In fact, it held its hands up and laughed.
 
Kai rolled his eyes at the baby and then turned to walk away again. The baby started to cry again.
 
"Would you please stop crying?" Kai asked as he looked down at the baby. "I have to go and phone someone to find your mother and if you don't shut up I'm going to put that blanket back over your head!"
 
The baby didn't seem to pay Kai any heed and Kai grabbed the blanket and threw it over the baby's head. The crying stopped and Kai grinned in satisfaction, heading to the living room to phone Krystal. She should know what's going on.
 
"What do you want? It's almost nine o'clock," Krystal's voice came from over the phone. "I told you people that I'll do the work when I get to the office tomorrow."
 
"Hi Krystal. This is Kai."
 
"Kai?" He could hear the panic in Krystal's voice from over the phone. "I'm sorry. I thought you were someone else."
 
"It's okay," Kai waited a second for Krystal to calm down. "What do you know about a baby at my house."
 
"You have a baby at your house?" The shock in Krystal's voice made it obvious that she knew nothing about it.
 
"Yeah," Kai looked over at the kitchen. "Someone left it for me in a basket on the porch step. I don't know what to do with it."
 
"Do you want to me to come over right now?" Krystal tripped over her tongue as she realized what she said. "To help with the baby, I mean."
 
Kai shook his head. Lately Krystal had been acting quite odd around him lately and he couldn't figure out why. Maybe someone had said something to hear about him. Kai shook his head, he didn't want to know.
 
"Yeah, if you could come over that would be great. I'm going to need all the help I can get," Kai sighed and noticed that the blanket was higher than he had left it. "You know where I live?"
 
"Of course, we had a meeting there once," Krystal replied quickly, "I'll be over in twenty minutes".
 
"Alright. Bye." Kai hung up the phone and went back to the basket.
 
Kai took the blanket off of the basket and was surprised to find that there was no baby inside. Kai looked around on the counter and then under the basket.
 
"Come on you stupid baby. You're not even supposed to be able to crawl at your age. So get back here," Kai hissed as he looked around the room.
 
Kai heard a crash from behind him and spun around. The baby was sitting on the counter next to the sink and had just pushed a pot off of the counter and onto the floor.
 
Kai creeped slowly towards the baby, "Come on you stupid baby. Don't do that!" The baby reached for the container that held Kai's order-in dinner. Kai growled, "Don't even do it!" The baby grabbed a hold of the container, "No!"
 
Ignoring him, the baby laughed and then threw the container on the floor. Kai's chinese food went absolutely everywhere.
 
Kai rushed for the baby and grabbed it. "I thought I told you no!" Kai shook his head as the baby simply leaned into him and appeared to be falling asleep. Kai wasn't going to take any chances though and continue to hold it until he heard a knock on the door.
 
Kai looked down at the baby. Did he really want to risk yelling out an invitation? Kai sighed and made his way around the chinese food and into the hallway. He got to the door and threw it open.
 
"Hello Krystal." Kai said in greeting but Krystal didn't even seem to notice him as her eyes went instantly to the baby.
 
"So this is the innocent little baby that got stuck with you?" Krystal asked as she grabbed the baby out of Kai's arms. "It doesn't look like it's that young. Probably somewhere around a year old."
 
"Great," Kai said, rolling his eyes. "Can we please just get this baby out of here?"
 
"I'll go put the baby upstairs to bed, providing that I can find somewhere suitable for it to sleep, and you can phone up the orphanage and see what they say," Krystal suggested as she headed up the stairs.
 
Kai thought about getting stuck with the baby until the orphanage could do something about it and shook his head. "Why don't you just stay here until the orphanage comes around to pick up the baby," Kai asked. "I mean, it's a monster. You should see what it did to my kitchen."
 
Krystal shook her head. "Don't go blaming a poor innocent baby." Krystal held the baby closer to her as if she was comforting it and then climbed up the stairs.
 
Kai rolled his eyes. "Whatever."
 
Grabbing the phone, Kai flipped through the phone book. When he finally found the number for the orphanage he dailed it speedily.
 
"You have reached Peek-a-Boo orphanage. Unfortunately we are not here. Please leave a message after the beep and we'll get back to you. Thanks," came the answering machine's greeting.
 
Kai sighed and shifted the phone over to the other side of his face. "Hello? Yeah, this is Kai Hiwatari. Someone left a baby on my porch step and I was just wondering what exactly I should do about it. Thanks. My cell number is 121-1342."
 
Kai hung up the phone and headed up the stairs to his bedroom. When he saw Krystal and the baby already lying in it, he didn't even have the energy for a groan.
 
"My bed," Kai grunted as he fell on the end of it.
 
"It's the only bed soft enough for the baby," Krystal replied. "Unless of course you have a crib lying around here somewhere."
 
Kai sighed and heaved himself out of bed. "Fine, I'll go sleep in my own guest room."
 
Kai moved to the guest room and fell onto the bed, not even attempting to slide underneath the covers. Babies are very exhausting, especially when paired with a long work day.
 
Kai closed his eyes. At least it was only going to be for tonight. With that thought, Kai went to sleep.
 
TBC
 
A/N: Well, what do you think? huh? lol ...Next chapter to come out soon/eventually...