Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Mars + Heaven ❯ Staying in the Store ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

XXXIV: Staying in the Store:

He took a step forward.

“Oh, sorry about that. My girl here wanted to check out this store. We just staying here until it stops raining,” he said. “Is that a problem?” The old lady raised her eyebrow.

“Are you going to buy something?” she asked.

“No,” he said. “Hadn't planned on it. Is that a problem? We're not going to steal anything. How bad is the rain?” The old lady said nothing. She turned and looked out the window.

“It's not too bad,” she said. “Just don't stay too long. It doesn't look good if you are lingering around the shop without buying anything.”

“Sure,” he said. She walked up to his side and grabbed onto his arm. She cuddled up beside him. He patted her on the head.

After that little encounter, there wasn't much to do. She walked around the store and looked at the vintage clothes. He just stood by the door. This wasn't his type of store. It was a good thing they weren't going to buy anything. The old woman stood behind the desk. He couldn't tell what she was thinking. She could be annoyed that they were in her store. She didn't look like the type to enjoy tourists loitering around. He looked out the window. The rain wasn't so bad, but he wasn't taking any chances.

“Hey, baby,” he said. She looked up from a table of scarves.

“Hm?” she asked.

“We're going to stay in here for a few more minutes,” he said. “Then we're going back to the house, okay?” She looked at him like a disappointed child.

“No, I told you we're not buying anything,” he said. “And I don't want to be in here all day.” She gave him a little pout. The old lady turned her head. He tried to keep his composure as he fought the urge to go outside for a smoke.

“Look,” he said. “We can come back if you want.” Her eyes started to sparkle.

“You mean it?” she asked. He sighed and shook his head.

“Sure,” he said. Anything to keep his angelic princess happy. She turned back to the silk dress on the mannequin. Her hand moved to touch it but stopped short.

“Can we buy this when we come back?” she asked. By now, he was closer to the door. The old lady had her eyes on him.

“We'll see,” he said. She doesn't say a word. She walked away from the dress and walked over to a rack of ties. He took another look outside. By now, the rain started to get heavier. It looked like they were going to be here for a while. He couldn't hold back anymore. The old lady was staring at him from behind the counter. She hadn't said anything at all. He didn't know how to take that.

“I'm going out for a smoke,” he said. “Is that okay with you?” The old lady just nodded.

“Just don't smoke too close to the door,” she said. “I can't have certain smells ruin the clothes.”

“Right,” he said. He took one more look at his girl. She was now looking at another dress in the corner. Sometimes, he wondered what she was thinking. That was going to have to wait for now. He quietly slipped out the door and closed it behind him. The old lady kept her eyes on him before turning back to his girl in the store.