Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6
 
A/N: I'm sorry about how depressing the last chapter was.. It just kind of happened.. Oh, and I realize that I only mentioned Light being lovesick, but it seems as if I've made L that way as well. I hope that doesn't disturb you. :) Oh, and I, personally, have never even considered Soichiro's (Lights father's) feelings on Light being with L. I just thought it would make a good conflict.
 
Thanks for the reviews so far!!!
 
“Yagami-san,” Ryuuzaki said dropping another three pure white sugar cubes into the cup filled to the top with black hot liquid causing it to spill slightly over the sides staining the pure white plate below. “I apologize in the most sincere way possible for what I've caused between you and your son, but I would like to inform you that I plan on staying away from him for a while in hopes that this will die down.” He lifted his chin and blinked as his eyes met the eyes of the man sitting before him.
 
Soichiro(1) took a sip from the large round cup held tightly within his hands. “Ryuuzaki,” he said lowering the cup to the table, “I meant nothing against you; I only questioned my son's judgment. I do, however, approve of your decision to stay away from him. Although, I know this may seem harsh, I think a-little time away will do you both some good.”
 
Ryuuzaki nodded, “I agree,” he whispered knowing that every word he would say from here on out would be a lie. “Again, I apologize for getting between you and your son. It wasn't my place.” He laced two fingers around the small handle of the cup and lifted it to his lips. Taking a sip of the liquid he placed his remaining hand on his knees ad he drew his legs in to his chest.
 
“No need,” Soichiro coughed placing his hands flat upon his knees. “And, another thing, the Kira Case has taken a seemingly dangerous turn. It was reported that yesterday at exactly nine a.m. a message was posted on one of the message boards dedicated to Kira. The message claimed that the user who had written the message was Kira; it also offered proof. That proof was that an announcer on a specified television channel would die of a heart attack at an exact time. It happened just the way the user had stated. Unfortunately, we were not aware of the situation until late this morning.”
 
Ryuuzaki nodded taking another sip from the cup, “Would it be possible to track down the user who posted the message through his IP address?” he asked calmly glancing around at the homely yellow walls.
 
“That was Aizawa's suggestion as well, but though we should be able to track him down we were unable to do it. It's almost as if that user has disappeared. There is no way we know of that would help us find him.” Soichiro answered solemnly.
 
With another nod Ryuuzaki lowered the empty cup the table, “The only possible explanation for us not being able to track him down would be that this person may be either a high ranking official or perhaps even a hacker.”
 
Soichiro nodded; he opened his mouth to respond but paused hearing a loud “ding” echo through the room. Slowly he turned to find the source of the sound but turned back and watched as Ryuuzaki stood and made his way across the room in the direction of the computer monitor seated on the white carpeted floor.
 
With a sigh Ryuuzaki pressed a key on the keyboard and took the mouse into his hand. The screen showed his e- mail by default. The newest message had been sent a few seconds before by Watari.
 
Ryuuzaki bit his lip as he crouched down to the floor in front of the monitor and opened the e-mail hesitantly. It read: `Ryuuzaki, someone is waiting on line one to speak with you. You may want to get away from Yagami-san before answering. He says he will wait. Watari. PS. ~ What happened to your cell phone? ~
 
With a nod Ryuuzaki pressed the red button on the monitor causing the screen to blacken, “Yagami-san,” he began slowly as he stood from the floor, “thank you for your understanding attitude toward these past events. I appreciate it very much. Now, please go back to the others and try your best to find more information on this new Kira.”
 
Soichiro nodded slowly as he rose from the sofa, “Alright, Ryuuzaki, We'll let you know if any new information comes up.” He took slow steps toward the door and placed a hand on the doorknob, “Ryuuzaki, I'm sorry I had to separate you and my son. I know it may seem unfair, but I truly believe that this is the best decision we can make.” With that said he opened the door and exited the room, pulling the door closed behind him.
 
Ryuuzaki let out a breath and stepped up to the small wooden table upon which the white telephone sat. He placed a hand on the receiver and breathed quietly as he raised it to his ear and pressed the button marked with “Line 1”. “Hello?”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Ryuuzaki,” Light screamed into the receiver, “I have something to tell you, something about the Kira Case.” He shifted on the bed and glanced sideways at the blackened television screen.
 
That announcer had really died. Light had watched everything happen just as it was explained. The last time he had checked that post had also received over a million
 
“I'm sorry, Light, but I can't talk to-.”
 
Light leaned forward pressing the phone closer to his ear, “Ryuuzaki, stop being so unreasonable. I can help you. We don't even have to be friends, just let me help you with the Kira Case; I have some information that could help you.”
 
“Light-.”
 
“Ryuuzaki,” Light whispered loosening his grip on the phone, “please don't be this way. If you don't want to see me I can tell you everything you need to know over a phone or by e-mail; it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to hurt you or even get close to you. I- I want to help you.”
 
“I don't know- if your father-.”
 
Light let out a breath and stood suddenly knocking the desk by his bed to the floor, “My father has no control over you. He may have some control over me, but I'm his son. Why are you living in fear of my father? He can't do anything to you, Ryuuzaki. The worst he could do would be leaving the Task Force, but you don't need him, you have me. I'm just as good as my father is, if not better.” Light took a slow breath and frowned, “You're not content with having me?”
 
Hearing a loud sigh come from the other side of the phone Light bit his lip and awaited a response, “I- I'm sorry, Light, but I can't.”
 
Just as Light opened his mouth to respond he heard Ryuuzaki whisper something inaudible before being cut off by the loud dial tone. “Ryuuzaki,” he whispered into the receiver before throwing it backward onto the bed. He blinked slowly hearing a sound come from the computer beside him; it was a sound he had never heard. Curiosity burning his stomach Light took cautious steps toward the computer. He walked as if the floor had been transformed into hot coals of fire. The computer screen brightened as he pressed a key on the keyboard, “New message?” he whispered seating himself in the chair behind him, “But no one should even know that I exist. I've never even posted.”
 
Light grabbed the mouse and moved the cursor over the subject line, `Our Little Secret,' it read. Biting his lip impatiently Light glanced at the sender's name. With a gasp he fell backwards bringing the heavy chair along with him. The person who had posted claiming to be Kira was the one who had sent the message. Light scowled, if this guy knew about him it would ruin everything. Shaking his head angrily Light whispered, “I swear, every other Kira is a complete idiot.” He placed a hand on the chair and pushed himself to his knees, “If it keeps going this way Kira's screwed.”
 
As he stood slowly Light grabbed the mouse once again and opened the message, “I know you're the real Kira,” it read, “and you know that I'm not. You're the only person I've sent this to, Yagami Light. Yes, I know who you are. Anyway, Kira, I've recovered your notebook for you. Don't you want it back? If you don't I'd be happy to take over for you, but if you do want it meet me under the bridge at midnight tonight. ~ I'll be waiting.”
 
Light let out a breath. Who was this? How come this person, whoever they were, knew his name? Did they know everything else? If he didn't meet them would this person track him down? Lifting the chair slowly Light blinked awkwardly; the way things looked now this person would go to every extreme to get him. Who was it? An enemy? An old friend?
 
As Light sat slowly in the chair he let out a breath. There was no way to be certain; there was no way to know for sure what this person was after, or what they would do. Regardless, he knew who Light was, which meant that Light must have been around this person at one time or another. Staring blankly at the computer screen Light thought back as far as possible. Could it have been one of those friends he had abandoned when he became Kira? Could it have been an old enemy trying to get back at him? There was a chance that this person could be anyone.
 
“I wonder,” he whispered leaning back in the chair. “Under the bridge, huh,” he said taking one of the cold metal pens from the cup at the corner of the desk, “I wonder what he's planning.” As light twirled the pen in his hand he said, “If this guy took the deal, if he has the Shinigami eyes he could be planning on using that as an advantage to get a hold over me, or he could be trying to kill me.”
 
Taking a slow breath Light raised the pen and placed it slowly behind his ear. “The Death Note's proving to be quite troublesome,” he said turning the chair in the direction of the window. “If only I could get back into the Task Force office for long enough to see Rem. If I don't do something about her soon she'll kill Ryuuzaki because of what I told her.” Light let out a breath and sat up quickly, “Father,” he gasped, “Father separated me from Ryuuzaki, and Misa will probably have to stay at the Task Force office because she'll be under suspicion again. If Misa can't see me she'll be miserable, and if Misa isn't happy Rem will kill the person who caused it -My father.”
 
Light took the pen from behind his ear and sighed loudly, “I have no choice,” he said dropping the pen to the carpeted floor, “I have to get my Death Note back.”