Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
 
A/N: This chapter might be a-little confusing. In the last chapter I wanted to tell how the boy died, but I couldn't do that. So, the beginning of this is a flashback, well, not really. It's more like what happened half from the boy's POV. By the way, this actually made me pretty sad…
 
“What do you think Light's been up to?”
 
Hiroshi gave a sigh and glanced up at the boy across the table. “I really can't say. Most people haven't seen him in ages.” Letting out another sigh he shifted in the hard wooden chair, “I'm kind of getting worried, Akio.”
 
With a nod Akio leaned forward, “I understand, but Light's a good guy, you know? He'd never do anything that would put him or any of us in danger, right? In fact, he's probably out trying to catch that Kira guy right now.”
 
Letting out a slight laugh Hiroshi nodded, “That's our Light,” he said placing his hands in his lap, “but I do wish he wasn't always busy.” He glanced over at the cup filled with transparent liquid, “Light, I haven't even seen you in classes lately. I wonder what's wrong. You've never been the type to skip classes. Then again, you've never really been the type to leave your friends hanging either.”
 
“Hiroshi,” Akio said loudly leaning in the boy's direction, “do you know how long we have until midnight? My parents said midnight, and I don't have my watch with me.”
 
“Oh,” Hiroshi whispered glancing down at the silver watch on his wrist, “You've only got like five minutes; you'd better get going now.” He stood from the table slowly and reached into his pocket, “I'll cover the drinks, okay; you can pay me back tomorrow.”
 
Akio nodded and hurried to the door, “Oh, and Hiroshi, don't be so down on your self. It's not your fault Light hasn't been around. Lighten up; Light wouldn't want to see you frowning all the time.”
 
“Thanks,” Hiroshi said quietly as Akio stepped through the door and began a steady sprint down the street. With a sigh he took the money from his pocket and stepped up to the counter, “Here,” he said holding the right amount out to the cashier.
 
The man behind the counter smiled taking the money from him and nodded as a reassurance, “Thank you,” he said, “be careful on your way home.”
 
Hiroshi smiled and stepped toward the door, “Thank you,” he whispered pushing the door open slowly. With a sigh he stepped onto the wet pavement and began down the nearly deserted streets. Most people were afraid to come out at night; some of them used the excuse that they thought Kira came out at night, “What a hoax.”
 
Hiroshi shook his head as he shoved his hands into the warmth of his pockets. Kira was just some kind of con-artist trying to trick people into thinking that they can't do anything wrong or else Kira will kill them. “Like anybody would take up almost a year of their life executing criminals. Sure, the world's come to be a pretty peaceful place, but what good is it if all Kira can do is kill? Soon enough he'll probably start killing off the normal people like us just because he's bored.”
 
Letting out a breath Hiroshi glanced down at his watch once again, “Mom and Dad are probably in bed by now; they won't mind if I'm out for a-little while longer.” He took slow steps forward staring down absently at the water puddles below his feet, “Light's usually up at this time. Maybe if I go to his house he'll be there.” He nodded slightly and turned around the next corner.
 
It would be midnight in only around two minutes. His parents had set his curfew at midnight, but seeing Light had to be at least a small bit more important. With a nod he continued down. His shadow splayed over the wet street as he passed under the bright streetlights. Letting out a breath as the minutes counted down to midnight Hiroshi rolled his hands into fists. Why was he missing Light so much now?
 
With a sigh he looked down at his watch and sighed, “Midnight,” he whispered stopping under one of the streetlights, “If Light's not there I wonder what-.” His head jerked and his eyes widened suddenly, “Light,” he whispered turning back in the direction he had come.
 
Without even a second's delay he began a quick sprint down the wet sidewalks. After a-little more than ten minutes he reached the muddy ground under the bridge. This feeling, he had never felt it before. He took slow steps forward hearing voices in the distance.
 
As two dark shaded figures came into view his feet carried him closer to them, “Light,” he said recognizing one of them.
 
The taller figure turned to him; his eyes widened and his mouth fell open, “Hiroshi, no,” he whispered stepping forward, “why did it have to be you.” Holding his breath Light glanced down at his watch, “Maybe I'll have a-little time before,” he whispered taking quick steps toward the boy.
 
Hiroshi breathed deeply biting his lip slightly, “Light,” he whispered.
 
Light let out a breath as he came within touching distance of the boy. As his eyes blurred he placed his hands on the boy's shoulders, “Fight it,” he whispered stepping closer to him, “don't let her do this. If you die I don't know what I'll do, Hiroshi. You're my best friend, don't die on me.”
 
“Light,” Hiroshi said glancing up into his eyes, “I love you.” Letting out another breath he lowered his gaze to the ground.
 
“No,” Light whispered pulling the boy close to him, “you can't.” He pushed him away slightly bit his lip, “I'm so sorry, Hiroshi,” he said leaning forward and planting a kiss on the boy's forehead, “I'm sorry,” he whispered.
 
The girl standing slightly away from them let out a loud breath and said, “You have three minutes, Yagami-kun.”
 
Light threw a quick glance at her and without a second thought turned back to the boy standing close to him and leaned down placing a kiss on the boy's lips. This was all he could do.
 
Those three minutes flew by like seconds. As the final minute went by Light pulled away from the boy slowly and smiled sadly, “I'm sorry, I swear I won't let you die in vain,” he whispered seeing the boy's eyes go wide.
 
Hiroshi grasped Light's shirt tightly and whispered, “I love you,” before falling backward into the mud.
 
Light bit his lip as a tear fell down his cheek. He turned to the girl standing behind him giving her a piercing glare, “I won't let you do this to anyone else, I swear.”
 
 
“Life is a special gift from God; after these past events my family and I have realized this. My son was everything a mother could wish for. He was trustworthy, loving, loyal, and always did what he knew was right. He had dreams of becoming a detective along with two of his friends. There was never a time when his talents and actions ceased to amaze us. He was always looking forward, and never wallowed in the self-pity of the past. Nevertheless, our memory of him will always be joyful.” The woman standing behind the podium whipped the tears from her eyes with the back of her hand and took a deep breath. With a nod she stepped away from the podium and pushed into the shelter of her husband's arms.
 
Light bit his lip. Hiroshi's mother had come to him not long before the funeral and asked if he wanted to give a speech as Hiroshi's best friend. Light had accepted immediately and had been rehearsing what he would say all day. Now, he had it down; all he had to do was keep from breaking down in front of everyone.
 
“Now,” a man dressed in a black suit said as he stepped up to the podium, “Yagami Light, Hiroshi's best friend, will give a speech.” As he motioned to Light he stepped away from the podium and placed an arm around the weeping woman beside him.
 
Holding his breath Light made his way through the crowd of people. As he turned and stood behind the podium he looked over the people standing before him. They blended together in a sea of black and white.
 
Letting out a deep breath Light cleared his throat and pulled a folded piece of paper from his pocket. Placing is slowly on the podium he smoothed it out and looked over the crowd once more, “Well, there's really too much for me to say about Hiroshi. From Kindergarten through High School we were the closest of friends. We had actually made plans of going into the NPA together, but Kira destroyed everything. Through my first three and half years of High School he actually meant everything to me.” Light let out a breath as he stared down at the sloppy words he had scratched down onto the paper; he hadn't even read from the paper. Every word he had said was different from what he had written, “I just don't want to believe he's really gone.”
 
Holding back the tears he stepped away and bowed his head before leaving the podium and starting toward the back of the crowed where his father stood. “Well,” he said stepping forward, “I did it. How was I?”
 
Soichiro nodded and stepped forward, “I'm sure it was hard for you, and you did very well.” He placed a hand on Light's shoulder and moved slightly, “I brought something that I thought might make you feel a-little better,” he said stepping away slowly.
 
Light squinted and turned to where his father pointed him, “R- Ryuuzaki,” he whispered. He could barely recognize him. Ryuuzaki was dressed in a real black suit and a red tie, and his shoes were black and polished. “I would have thought you'd be wearing the same thing you usually do.”
 
“They made me,” Ryuuzaki mumbled crossing his arms across his chest.
 
With a smile Light stepped forward, “Well, I'm still glad you're here,” he said. It was almost hard to think about Hiroshi. This whole time he had almost been oblivious to the fact that he actually had friends, and now one of his best friends was gone forever. There was no way to apologize.
 
Feeling a hand on his shoulder Light turned slowly and fell back as the person standing there swung a hard punch in his direction. “Akio,” Light gasped scrambling to his feet, “what was that about?”
 
“How dare you,” Akio yelled rolling his hands into fists, “how dare you not be there for him! You have no idea how much he worried about you, Light.” He bit his lip staring into the boy's eyes, “I can't believe you. The two of you had been friends from Kindergarten through High School, just like you said. So, why did it change? Why did you turn your back on him, Light? He didn't deserve that. If anything he at least deserved your gratitude. Most people have nearly forgotten about you by now, but he never did. Even when you turned your back on him and ignored him he never forgot you; he always worried about you. Do you even care?”
 
Light shook his head slightly and turned his head away from Akio, “I don't need this.”
 
Akio grabbed Light's shoulders and shook him slightly, “That's what I mean, Light, you've changed. You never used to be that way. You never used to push your friends away like they mean nothing. I don't like you this way,” he said shaking his head from side to side. “I want my friend back, Light. I want that guy back.” With a sigh he turned slightly toward the open coffin now lying where the podium had been, “But I guess that wouldn't be fair to Hiroshi.”
 
“I'm sorry,” Light raised his voice pushing away from Akio, “but it's not my fault that he died.”
 
“I'm not blaming you for his death,” Akio yelled, “I'm blaming you for the sorrow he went through before that.”
 
Matsuda bit his lip and stepped up behind Ryuuzaki, “Are you not going to say anything?”
 
“No,” Ryuuzaki said simply, “this is a lesson Light needs to learn.”
 
Akio stepped forward tears blurring his black eyes, “All I'm saying is, you'd better hope you make it to heaven, because I know that's where Hiroshi is. And if you don't make it you'll never have a chance to apologize for the pain you caused him.” After finishing Akio took a deep breath and turned away from Light slowly. “Goodbye, Light,” he whispered as he took slow steps toward the open coffin.
 
Light stood stunned by his friend's words. “I guess it's true,” he thought silently staring as Akio knelt by the coffin of his departed friend, “you never know what you have until it's gone. I guess I'll have to learn that the hard way.”