Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
Hey, guys! I'm sooo sorry for the wait! It took me forever to get my ideas together.. they just weren't flowing for this chapter. Let me know what you think. Once again, I'm having a-little trouble getting a reply from my beta.. so here's the un-beta'd version.
 
Light's breath synced with the ticking of the clock mounted upon the wall. “Was it worth it?” he asked himself silently, “Was getting a second chance to save someone you love worth losing someone I've loved for even longer?” His eyes wandered to the open book in his lap. Closing it slowly he let out a breath and placed it next to him on the sofa. There was no way to concentrate on those words; every attempt he had made failed.
 
He turned his head slightly and stared into the picture he had placed on the coffee table beside him. It was a picture he had taken with his friends the day they traveled to Osaka. Light gave a sigh; at that time he and Hiroshi had been closer than ever. Now, this picture was the only memory he had left, and that picture in itself was nearly three years old.
 
Light looked over it slowly. He and Hiroshi stood dead center, and three other boys stood around them. Back then everything was different. Light let out a sigh and turned the picture frame so that he stared into the black backboard.
 
“I guess I can't take it back,” he said taking the cell phone from his pocket, “but at least I can make it right.” He flipped it open and dialed the number hesitantly. Holding his breath he raised it to his ear and sighed hearing the dial tone
 
Suddenly a high female voice cut through, “Hello?” the person on the other side of the phone seemed to sing in response.
 
“Tsukiko,” Light said loudly as he stood quickly. “I want to know exactly why you did this,” he raised his voice and glanced sideways at the front door; he was the only one home. “Tell me what you gained from that. What did killing Hiroshi accomplish for you? If you want me out of the way why not just kill me? You know my face and my name, so kill me, not innocent people who've done nothing to you or anyone else.”
 
The girl let out a loud laugh and replied, “I may be a girl, but I'm not that stupid. I may not be attacking you physically, but I'm attacking your heart. I'm surprised that you don't understand, Light. I would have thought that you of all people would understand my motive.”
 
Light bit his lip, she sounded so much more intelligent over the phone, “Why?” he said lowering his voice slightly, “What do you want? Do you want me to admit that you're Kira? Well, you're Kira, Tsukiko, so stop this now.”
 
The girl let out another smaller laugh and said, “Oh, Light, I don't want anything form you. Well, I'd be content with you letting me take Misa, but we both know you need her to get your hands on the other Death Note. Oh, and by the way, I know where the police are conducting their investigation. It's amazing how much information you can get out of your best friend without them even knowing that they're telling you.”
 
“You pried information out of Misa?” Light whispered slightly astonished, “But I was under the impression that you liked Misa more than I do.”
 
Light blinked hearing the girl let out a sigh, “Oh, I do, I didn't pry either. I only talked to her; like I said, she didn't even know that she was telling me a secret. We've always been close, so she's used to telling me the secrets she could never tell anyone else.”
 
Light nodded absently, “I understand that much, but how could you get Misa to reveal any information about the Death Note?”
 
Tsukiko giggled before replying softly, “How did you get my number?”
 
Opening his mouth to respond Light heard a sound like a crash on the other side of the phone, “I have to go,” he heard her say before the loud dial tone came through once again.
 
“What was that?” Light asked himself sitting on the sofa carelessly. With a sigh he looked through the list of speed dial numbers. His mouth fell open as he read over the names; Hiroshi's number was still there. A flicker of a smile broke through as he read over the name again. They had made so many memories; there was no way he would ever forget, no matter how much he wanted to.
 
Closing the cell phone slowly he brought it down to his chest and stared up into the white ceiling. The memories he had of Hiroshi would be hard enough to forget, but if he lost someone else what was he supposed to do? Light shifted to lie over the couch cushions and closed his eyes, “I miss you,” he whispered absently.
 
Light sat up hearing the door open and turned sideways to see his sister walk hesitantly into the room. “Sayu,” he said tilting his head sideways, “you weren't supposed to get home until later tonight. Weren't you with mom?”
 
With a nod the girl walked to the sofa and sat down in the space left between Light's back and the armrest. “Mom was supposed to take me shopping all day, but she met up with a friend and told me to go home. She didn't think you'd be here, Light.” She turned to him slowly and tilted her head, “Why are you here? You should be with dad like always. Did something happen?”
 
With a sigh Light turned and sat by his sister, “Well, I might as well tell you, Sayu. Have you ever felt like everything's just going wrong? Like the world's falling down around you and you can't do anything to stop it?” He bit his lip seeing his sister shake her head hesitantly. “Well,” he continued, “I feel that way right now. See, that guy who died the other day was my best friend. Well, he was more than that, but in front of dad all I can say is that we were best friends.”
 
Sayu nodded and leaned forward resting her elbows on her knees, “So, you loved him, is that it?”
 
“Well,” Light whispered staring blankly into the unblemished white carpet, “that's half of it. You see, a few days ago dad caught me with this guy and I'm not allowed to see him anymore. Even if I try to talk to him now this guy won't even talk to me anymore. That was bad enough, but now I lost-.”
 
“Hiroshi, right?” Sayu said slowly turning to look her brother in the eye, “That was his name, right? I remember him. He was the one who used to play with me. When I was little he used to pick me up and swing me around in circles. You have a lot of those videos in your room; I used to watch them all the time.” She paused and turned away slowly, “Do you miss him?”
 
Light nodded hesitantly, “But the thing is, that's not all that's bothering me. Yeah, I miss him a lot, but there are a lot of other things on my mind. This is probably the first time in my life that I've been unable to unscramble my own thoughts.”
 
Standing from the sofa Sayu placed a hand on her brother's head, “It'll be ok, Light, that guy has to be in Heaven. I've only heard good things about him. There's no way he's not there. Someday, you'll see him again too, because my big brother's a good person too, and I know he's going to Heaven.”
 
“Yeah,” Light mumbled and watched as his sister skipped away out of the room. “Thanks, Sayu, but you don't know your big brother. I'm glad you don't, because your big brother is going to be nothing when he dies. I'm sorry.” Lowering his head into his hands Light bit his lip. “Now, this is just a race between me and Tsukiko. Whoever gets the other Death Note first wins, and whoever loses dies.”
 
 
“So, we've confirmed at least this much, correct?” Ryuuzaki said turning away from the open window, “The third Kira, as we're referring to him now, has killed only one victim that indicates an obvious connection they must have with Yagami Light. Otherwise the killings have been carried out just as Kira would.”
 
The three men nodded. “Correct,” Aizawa said leaning forward slightly, “There's not much more we can say about this. There aren't that many suspects that we have information on. We did interview three of his closer friends asking them the questions you specified, and none of their answers seemed to be suspicious. We also interviewed one of Misa-san's friends; she seemed more apt to take on the role of Kira than any of Light-kun's friends. In fact, most of his friends are against Kira.”
 
Ryuuzaki nodded, “Then with that information we can lower the suspicion on most of Light-kun's friends to around three percent; whereas, the suspicion on Misa-san's friends will rise to around thirty-five. Do you agree?” He said glancing up at the men sitting a few feet away.
 
Soichiro nodded, “But it will be hard to interview every one of my son's friends and enemies. He may not tell me much, but I do know that he is quite popular. What do you plan on doing, Ryuuzaki? You go to the same college as Light; will you interview them there?”
 
“No,” Ryuuzaki said sitting slowly in the large chair, “to interview someone at a college campus about the death of their former classmate or friend would be extremely suspicious. I plan to keep going as we are. Every day one of you will interview as many of Light-kun and Misa-san's friends as possible. Hopefully we can come up with a solution this way.
 
“Also, the one girl you specified as more suspicious than the others, would you please question her once more? I would like to rule out as many suspects as possible in these next few weeks.” Drawing his knees in to his chest he stared blankly across the room. “There isn't much more I can say. The only request I have is for you all to find as much information as possible on that girl. I need to know all there is to know about her. Her name; age; address; any information you can get.”
 
With a nod Soichiro stood and led the others into the hallway.
 
“If Light's Kira he might have met up with the third Kira by now. I'm still not sure why the third Kira would waste their time killing one of Light's friends, but I assume that it must have been done in order to get under Light's skin. I've never seen Light actually care that much about anyone. It should be interesting to see how he reacts to this situation.” Turning slightly to the open door his eyes widened, “If Light has met the third Kira his next move will be to get the Death Note away from us.”
 
Standing quickly Ryuuzaki took the cell phone from his pocket and raised it to his ear. Pressing a button he spoke into the speaker, “Watari, I need you to do something for me.”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Tell me where the Death Note is,” Ryuuzaki said stepping toward the door.
 
“It should be in the main room. I can have someone bring it up to you.”
 
Ryuuzaki shook his head, “No,” he said lowering the phone slightly; “I'll get it myself.” He closed the phone slowly and shoved it into his pocket, “I won't let Light get the Death Note. I won't let him go back to being Kira, not without a fight.”