Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ My Heart is a Battleground ❯ Chapter 4

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 5
 
Deep in the darkest areas of the Digital World, a cave was hidden deep underground. The cave had many chambers, organized like a colony. The central chamber was alive with three digimon; they appeared to be in deep conversation.
 
A dark and grungy voice spoke in anger, “Hmph, some leader! He was a fool to let his crest get the best of him. I'll tear those Legendary Warriors apart!”
 
A brutish voice with an overconfident tone was heard, “Yeah? Do what you want, as long as I get their data. I can't wait to absorb any mon that gets in our way!”
 
A womanly, seductive voice echoed throughout the chamber, “Quiet, biker brain! None of you are doing anything before I have my way with them first. Now, I think it's time I took Lucemon's place…”
 
 
Back in Minnesota, Alec had finally finished his homework. He was leaning on his computer chair, humming to himself. “Now what?” He listened to the change jingle in his pocket as he swayed forward and back, “Hmm… Think I'll spend an hour or two at the arcade today.” He got his green vest and left a note for his dad as he stepped outside his apartment.
 
Eventually, Alec was strolling around the shops of quiet Timberdale, once again thinking about his last days of summer. “Man, it's gonna be boring until Vinni gets. I guess I could give Cass a ring,” with that, he flipped out his cell phone. He quickly dialed the number and waited.
 
Cass answered the phone, “Yeah, what?”
 
“Hey Cass, I was wondering if you're up for an hour of Soul Calibur or something at the arcade?”
 
“I'm, eh, busy with something. Yeah, I probably won't be done for a whil—Ah! Watch it!”
 
“Cass? Are you okay? What's that noise in the background?”
 
“Nothing… erm… I'm watching sci-fi movies too loud. Gonna hang up, don't call back!”
 
“Hey, wait—“ The call ended. Alec stared at his cell, “What's with that girl anyway? Hmm… I guess today's just gonna be me.”
 
CRASH!
 
Alec looked over his shoulder into an alleyway to see what looked like an exploded trashcan surrounded by a cloud of dust. A teenage boy in a black hood came dashing out of the dust cloud at top speed, passing a bewildered Alec.
 
“What? Who…?” Was all Alec could say before glowing pellets came flying from the same direction the boy came from.
 
Alec panicked and followed the hooded kid. He heard a high-pitched voice ring from the pellets' origin. “Data! Data!”
 
Alec managed to catch up with the mysterious boy. “Hey! Any idea what's going on?”
The boy didn't answer. They soon met a dead end in another alleyway, a large wooden fence blocking their path. “Oh boy!” Alec cried out.
 
“Data!” The screeching came closer until a small green creature shadowed the open end of the alleyway. This simian creature had a seemingly innocent face, but carried a large slingshot on its back. It wore a leopard-patterned loincloth with war paint on its face. “Ha! Monmon have you now!”
 
“Who?”
 
The hooded boy grabbed Alec by the wrist. The second the two touched there was a flash of light, knocking the both of them to the ground. The light dimmed leaving everything as it was, except Alec now carried a black DigiCom with white buttons on his wrist.
 
“What? A watch…?”
 
Alec looked up to see Monmon focused on something off to the side and in the distance. “…More data!” It screamed, it ran off southbound in search of its new target. Alec's new DigiCom flashed and big red letters appeared on the screen.
 
“TAMER?” The words read.
 
“'Tamer?' What could that mean?” Alec stepped outside of the alleyway to see that the bulbs in the traffic lights had all relit themselves to spell the same thing, `TAMER?'. Hey, kid! What do you… Eh?” Alec realized that the hooded boy had disappeared from sight.
 
Alec decided to run further downtown. Along the way, he noticed that TV screens, computer monitors, and even cell phones all had the same message posted in big red letters: “TAMER?”
 
“This is insane! Is it connected to this watch?”
 
Alec reached the video arcade, where all the screens were lit with the message. People were rushing out of the building in a panic. Alec saw that many pellets were ricocheting all over the arcade, a crazy Monmon bouncing around in the middle of it. Monmon was laughing and shooting his slingshot everywhere, “Ha ha! It's here! The data is here! Show yourself! I want your data!” The pellets faded, and Monmon stood there in the middle of the arcade. The screens still flashed with the message. Nothing happened. Monmon became furious and smashed his slingshot like a club against one of the game machines. He turned his attention to Alec standing at the entrance, snarling at his DigiCom, “There! I found you, data!”
 
Monmon leapt at Alec, violently swinging his slingshot. “Oh boy!” Alec stuck his arms out in vain to protect himself. In his other hand, what felt like an explosion burst forth and sent Monmon crashing against one of the game machines. Alec looked up in amazement, “Did… Did I do that?”
 
His attention was drawn to a wireless router on the ceiling that was shaking violently, a beam of light shot from the antenna and struck Alec's left hand, straight into his DigiCom. The message on every screen, `TAMER?' had faded away.
 
Monmon was on the ground, frozen in fear and shock. “You aren't… A tamer… Are you?” It stuttered. Alec stared for a moment, confused by the monster's inquiry. Monmon relaxed and started laughing hysterically again, “Haha! Of course not! You would have a partner with you if you… eh…”
 
Both of them turned their attention to the arcade screens, which mirrored what showed on Alec's digivice screen. The display pictured an egg split in half and empty, apparently to indicate something had been born. Then words slowly appeared. Something was trying to communicate through the letters on the screen. The words read “Kura…mon… digivolve… to…” The screens flashed brightly, and in large, flashing letters all screens read “TSUMEMON!”
 
This whole time, Alec's DigiCom shook violently with immense energy, until it finally exploded in a flash of many colors. Out of his watch-like device flew a small creature that looked like a disembodied hand with antennae. The one eye on its head was brought into focus as the blinding light dimmed.
 
Alec's eyes slowly opened, he saw the small, blue mutant sitting on the ground. Alec stared for a moment until his view was diverted to the spectacle that currently had Tsumemon's attention. Monmon was thrashing about, its eyes glazed over and unfocused. The flash of the digivice had obviously blinded the already enraged creature. It was wildly swinging its slingshot in every direction, hopelessly trying to defend itself against an imaginary foe. Alec remembered his DigiCom and looked down at it. A new message had appeared: “What are you waiting for? Activate its power!” The strange blue thing that called itself Tsumemon was communicating through the watch, and it needed Alec.
 
Alec shook his head, “Sorry, I have no clue what you're talking about.”
 
Tsumemon slowly turned towards him, and looked very displeased. Another message displayed on the digivice: “Oh boy…”
 
Suddenly, Monmon came lunging at Tsumemon with aggressive force and screaming wildly. Tsumemon was knocked back into Alec, knocking Alec to the ground. A few seconds after the two made contact, the digivice beeped rapidly, signaling some sort of activated function. Tsumemon was shrouded in a sphere of light. The DigiCom read “Tsumemon digivolve to…” And a slightly high-pitched and raspy voice boomed from the sphere as it shattered into pieces like glass, “KERAMON!”
 
Before Alec realized it, Monmon was no longer in view. Instead, against the side of an arcade machine, a mass of tentacles spiraled about with two deep, empty, black eyes peering from the middle. Beneath the tentacles, limbs could be seen struggling to escape, and muffled squeals as Monmon struggled to breathe, until all fell silent except for the squishy sound of moving tentacles. The slingshot slipped under the horrible veil and dropped to the ground, dissolving into thin air as it made impact with the floor.
 
The creature's surreal, grinning face arose from the quivering heap of blue, orange, and gray. Complete with the huge, empty eyes, eyebrow markings, and two large antennae hanging over what would be shoulders on any other creature. The tentacles surfaced to show they were connected to the head by a mass of dark orange fur that appeared to serve as a neck. From the tentacles emerged two thin arms, slightly more muscular than the tentacles, and with a large, bony hand on the end of each. As the creature floated towards Alec, it shimmered as pale particles of energy rush towards its core from the dent in the arcade machine. It was absorbing its victim's essence. The creature lowered itself to the ground, and gave a bow to Alec, “Thank you,” it spoke, “My name is Keram-Ah!”
 
“Come on, we need to scram!” Alec grabbed Keramon by the wrist and took off from the ruined arcade.