Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ My Heart is a Battleground ❯ Chapter 9

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 10
 
Jewel shut the door behind her. She had just gotten back from the hospital. She looked around at the destruction that had already been partially tidied. She sighed and walked towards the stairs leading up to her room.
 
“Wait!” Jewel recognized that heavy accent anywhere; she turned around and saw that the voice that stopped her came from Rosa, the maid. “Jewel… Is your father alright?”
 
“…Yeah, he's got a lot of bruising, but nothing too serious. They're gonna keep him there a bit longer.”
 
Rosa was very relieved, “Ah, that is good. Mr. Striker is a healthy man. But… um… Jewel…?”
 
“I know,” Jewel turned and shouted up the stairs, “Come down, FanBeemon. Everything's fine.”
 
The giant insect fluttered out of Jewel's bedroom and over the rail. She came down and hovered close to her partner. Rosa eyed the digimon in amazement.
 
“Rosa,” Jewel began, “This is FanBeemon, and she's my best friend. Over the last couple of years, even before we moved here, we've had FanBeemon as a part of our family. She's a digimon, a creature from a world of computer data that is parallel to our own.” She paused. Rosa appeared to be following all of it, and was listening intently. Jewel continued, “What you saw this morning. That other creature was also a digimon. Digimon can sometimes be aggressive or primitive. If they start acting up in their own world, or if they cross over in ours, they can cause a lot of trouble. They can be evil or good, small or very large, happy and sad, and all different forms. They're just like people. Right, FanBeemon?”
 
Her partner nodded, “Jewel and I are connected.”
 
A few more minutes passed and Jewel had explained everything that was going on. “Now, Rosa. FanBeemon and I will have to leave for the Digital World. I'm gonna try and find Derek.” She promptly turned to go upstairs.
 
“Wait!” Rosa stopped her, “What about your father? How long will you be gone?”
 
“Dad will understand. I can't say how long I'll be gone, but I promise… I'll come back alive.” She and FanBeemon went up the stairs, and into her bedroom.
 
-Timberdale-
 
“What!? I thought I had him!?”
 
“You gotta use the light arrows.”
 
“This is dumb, how can I move my fingers around this tiny device?”
 
Alec lay on the couch, watching his partner fumble with a video game controller.
 
“You can beat a higher level digimon than you, but the great evil king Ganondorf seems to be a bit much, huh?”
 
Keramon set the controller down and floated over Alec's head.
 
“What do you say we go find a real battle?”
 
Alec cocked an eyebrow, “You mean go back into the digital world? If we're going back there, I say lay off the bloodlust so we can take a look around the place.”
 
“But…” Keramon started.
 
“Hey, we're in this together, right?” Alec held up his wrist, showing the digivice strapped to it, “I say we take a break from the fights and go explore.”
 
“Fine, fine.” Keramon floated over to the computer as Alec got up.
 
He held the DigiCom up to the screen and promptly said, “Digi-port open!” The screen flashed and they were both transported to the other world. They landed on the red rocks of the canyon from before, Kapurimon and everything.
 
“The wilderness can get pretty dangerous,” Keramon warned, “Although I'm sure you've figured that out.”
 
“So which way do we go?”
 
Keramon turned around and grabbed a Kapurimon who was hopping by. “Hey, which direction is the nearest town?
 
“Oh, uh, if you head a bit southeast from here you'll find a small general store and diner, but there isn't much else close by.”
 
“Put the kid down, Keramon. We have our answers,” Alec spoke in a firm tone.
 
Keramon dropped the Kapurimon and let it be on its way. “Yeah, yeah, let's just go.”
 
[Time passes]
 
They seemed to be walking for an hour already. Alec was staring at the scenery to pass the time. Just a few dry shrubs between miles of desert and rock. He gazed into the sky as he stretched, spotting a bright sun beaming down on them… Or… not? Something suddenly occurred to Alec.
 
“Keramon?” He questioned, “It's weird… We've been walking through this burning desert for an hour, and I haven't dropped a bit of sweat. I wasn't even thirsty until just now.”
 
Keramon looked at him strangely. “Sweat? Thirsty? Quit talkin gibberish ya baby,” he extended his arm in front of him, “We're here.”
 
 
“Uh-huh… Great… Yeah, that's fine… No it's nothing like that… That was one time! ...Yeah, you too… Okay, thanks!”
 
Vinni hung up the payphone. He and Cass were on a street corner. Cass handed the duffel bag back to Vinni after he came back from the phone call.
 
“So what was that about?” Cass asked.
 
“I just got another flight to Minneapolis,” Vinni hoisted the back over his shoulder and they continued walking, “We need to be packed and ready by four, so let's make this quick.”
 
“Wait… Minneapolis?” Cass stopped suddenly.
 
“Hmm?” Vinni also stopped, looking back at her.
 
“I live in Minnesota, too. I came here through the digital world.”
 
“Yeah, I know.” Vinni replied, “Timberdale, right?”
 
“What!?” Cass exclaimed, “How'd you know this about me!?
 
“Duh, I've seen you around school,” they started walking again, “I think we even had History together.”
 
“Oh… So, does that mean you got me a plane ticket, too?” Cass questioned.
 
“I said `we' didn't I?”
 
“I thought you meant…” She looked down at his duffel bag.
 
“Oh! Nah, he's gonna be way more trouble to get on the plane.”
 
A couple more blocks and they arrived at the small beach from before. Vinni glanced around. “Hey, this is where we fought ShadowEbidramon.”
 
Cass jumped down from the sidewalk and stepped towards the water. She scanned the waves, moving her eyes up and down the beach. “Hmm…”
 
Vinni had jumped down and joined her at the water's edge, “What's up?”
 
“That,” she pointed down. An oblong object engulfed in a dark flame had washed up by their feet.
 
“Woah!” Vinni stepped back a little. “Is that a Digi-Egg!? What's wrong with it!?”
 
“Neither Salamon or Gizamon absorbed ShadowEbidramon's data after he was destroyed,” Cass said thoughtfully, “I was wondering what would happen to it after we just left it here.”
 
“So it reformed into this egg?”
 
“Yes. With time, the digimon will be reborn into its Fresh level form and begin life anew. But… It still has the virus.”
 
“Oh, you mean that corruption virus you told me about that's been plaguing the digital world,” Vinni recalled.
 
“I wonder…?” Cass bent down and reached out for the blazing egg.
 
“Wait! Cass, you don't know…” Vinni stepped towards her, but suddenly a light burst forth from her wrist. The darkness flared and dissipated as Cass put her hand on the egg. The light faded from her digivice and the egg was calm. There were a few seconds of silence.
 
“Just as I thought,” Cass exclaimed. She grabbed the egg and stood back up, “Do you have your laptop with you?”
 
“No, it's still back at my cousin's place,” he turned back to the sidewalk. Muffled sounds came from the duffle bag sitting on the concrete.
 
“They've left us here for a while. Do you think they forgot us or something?”
 
Vinni unzipped the bag, revealing the two In-Training levels. “'Bout time!” Pagumon shouted, “Hey, maybe next time you could hide in the dark dirty bag!”
 
“Don't worry,” Cass said as she set the egg between them, “You'll have all the moving space you could want in a little bit.”