Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ My Heart is a Battleground ❯ Chapter 20

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 20
 
 
“Jason! Wait up!” Jason stopped walking. Alec and Derek were just catching up with her.
 
Jason slowly turned around, she was still angry. “You didn't tell me he'd be here,” she said, referring to Vinni.
 
Alec was out of breath. “Okay, sorry!” He blurted between his panting.
 
“So you knew he would be here,” Jason accused. “Why, exactly, did you bring me here?”
 
“Look,” Alec regained his breath, “We're all still friends. You don't have to tell him anything, just hang out with us for a while.”
 
Jason didn't seem convinced. “I agree, Jason.” Derek said, looking up at his brother.
 
“…Okay,” Jason calmed down and dropped her guard.
 
“Hey!” Vinni and Cass ran up to them. Jason held out her arm.
 
“Sorry about earlier. I'm Jewel,” she and Vinni shook hands.
 
“Yeah, my name's Vinni.”
 
“Cassidy, hi.” Cass waved.
 
“You know what? How `bout I get us some shakes over at the McDonalds.” Jewel offered as they started walking back to the food court.
 
“Oh, no!” Vinni interrupted. “Let me.”
 
“Um… `kay.” Vinni ran ahead of them.
 
They found a table for the five of them. “Okay, I'll go tell Vinni what shakes to get.” Alec got up and joined Vinni at the line. Leaving Cass, Jewel, and Derek at the table.
 
“So, where are you guys from?” Cass asked.
 
“Um, well…” Derek stuttered.
 
Jewel answered, “Close by. We just transferred to Timberdale.”
 
Back over at the McDonalds booth, Alec and Vinni were ordering the shakes.
 
“So two vanilla, two chocolate, and a strawberry?” Rosetta asked.
 
“That's right,” Alec replied to the girl behind the counter.
 
“Alright, they'll be ready in a minute.” She turned to the back, “Luke! An order of milkshakes!”
 
“Man, Alec,” Vinni started after paying Rosetta for the shakes, “You're a lucky man with that chick.”
 
Alec looked at Vinni strangely, “Huh…?”
 
“The black girl!” Vinni pointed at Jewel, who was still talking to Cass. “Can't say I'm not jealous. But as your friend, I wish you two the best of luck.”
 
“Whoa, Vinni!” Alec waved his hands in front of him, “You totally have the wrong idea!”
 
“Wait, so… You're not dating her?”
 
“No, NO, dude!”
 
VROOM!
 
“Huh?” Jewel looked up, Vinni was standing over her. She got out of her seat and looked at him curiously. “What?”
 
“So, Jewel,” Vinni inched a bit closer to her. “You know, I'm gonna be playing varsity basketball this year.”
 
“So I've heard… What's your point?” She crossed her arms, beginning to become annoyed with Vinni's behavior.
 
“Well, our friends seem to get along, we seem to get along. So, I was just wondering… Are you doing anything this weekend?”
 
BA-KOOM!
 
“Jewel!” Cass and Derek got up, once again in pursuit of an angry Jewel.
 
Alec got back, carrying a tray of milkshakes. He found nothing at the table but a dejected Vinni with a shoeprint on his face.
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Timberdale Mall - South End
 
“I can't believe him!” Jewel exclaimed.
 
“Uh…”
 
“I know, right?” Cass agreed.
 
“Um…”
 
“What made him think I was interested!?” Jewel angrily pondered.
 
“Er…”
 
Cass nodded, “God, he can be pretty oblivious.”
 
“Well…”
 
Jewel palmed her fist in violent determination, “Why, I should give him a good knee right in the—“
 
“Ladies!” Both of them became silent and looked down at Derek. “Shouldn't we go back? I mean, we do need to do some shopping… and, I was looking forward to my chocolate shake…”
 
“…Ah, yeah, I guess,” Cass looked down at her DigiCom. “I mean, the mall's open for just a few more hours. And I wanted to get a new DVD+RW drive today.”
 
“Whoa!” Jewel pointed at the wristwatch-like device on Cass' wrist.
 
“Za?”
 
Jewel pulled back her sleeve, revealing her DigiCom. Derek lifted up his arm, tapping his finger on his.
 
Cass eyes widened, looking back and forth between them. “Oh…! I don't believe it!”
 
“Damn it. At this rate, Vinni will turn out to be a Tamer, too. Heh.” Jewel joked.
 
“Ah, well, actually…” Cass stammered.
 
“…Fuck.”
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Timberdale Mall - Food Court
 
“Dude, no freakin' way!”
 
“Yeah, man!” Alec sipped his milkshake, and then continued. “And then he split into six clones, and they all fired at once. Wendigomon didn't stand a chance!”
 
Alec and Vinni were sitting at the table. They were talking about their past digimon-related adventures. “Man, I didn't even know these things could do that,” he looked down at his DigiCom. “So you can't get yours off, either?”
 
“It's like it's attached to the skin,” Alec said, tugging on the device to no visible success in moving it.
 
Derek had run back up to the table, Cass and Jewel not far behind. “Alec, you won't believe it! Cass and Vinni are—“
 
“I believe it.” Alec and Vinni pulled their sleeves back, proudly displaying their digivices.
 
Cass and Jewel arrived at the table. “Alec, don't you think you should've at least tried keeping it a secret?” Jewel asked.
 
“You, too, V,” Cass added.
 
“We're best buds,” Vinni explained.
 
“Yeah, and best buds don't keep stuff like this a secret from each other.” Alec said mainly towards Jewel.
 
Jewel glared at him. She glanced around at all the people passing by, and the people eating in the food court. “How `bout we discuss this later?”
 
“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea,” Cass agreed.
 
“Hey, Jewel,” Vinni stood up. “Um… Sorry about… hitting on you… like that.”
 
Jewel sighed, and patted him on the shoulder, “It's fine. Just don't step out of line like that from now on, `kay?”
 
“Deal.”
 
“Great!” Derek said, “Now let's have those milkshakes!”
 
They all sat back down and talking with each other. From across the food court, Rosetta let out a small chuckle. “Hm…” Luke peered around the equipment, giving her a curious look. She looked over at him, “Those are a strange bunch of kids.”