Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ My Heart is a Battleground ❯ Chapter 22

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 22
 
 
Jason and FanBeemon were following a Dobermon through the mountains. They were all silent. As they came to the other side, they made their way through another stretch of forest. Numerous Fresh-level digimon squeaked and happily followed along.
 
Eventually, they came upon Genesis Valley. It was dark, but the outline of Babamon's Manor was very clear. Dobermon gave a nod and went back on duty as Jason walked up the steps leading to the manor's doors.
 
FanBeemon perched on her head as Jason pounded on the knocker, “Angewomon! Are you there?”
 
No response. Jason creaked the door open, stepping into the manner. “Angewomon? Hello!”
 
“Eh!?” A stubby old creature spun around from tending a DigiEgg. She peered at the human girl standing before her.
 
“What? Angewomon? Just who are you barging into Genesis Manor like that!? I haven't been called Angewomon in ages.” She hobbled up to the girl, examining her, and the digimon perched atop her head.
 
“Wait a sec, you're Angewomon?” Jason asked, pointing at her.
 
“I used to be an Angewomon before I digivolved, yes. They call me Babamon now. What business is it of yours, strange human?”
 
“C'mon, you know us!” FanBeemon said, “It's me, FanBeemon. Remember?”
 
“Huh…?” She looked at FanBeemon, then back at the girl's face, “…JASON! You've returned! So nice to see you again!” Babamon vigorously shook Jason's hand.
 
Jason laughed, “I was afraid you'd forgotten about us.”
 
Babamon scanned Jason up and down, “Well, I admit you do look a little different from how I remember you. Did you drop a few bytes?”
 
“Something like that,” FanBeemon said.
 
Jason knelt down. “Now Babamon, I have to talk to you about something important. It's about the other chosen children.”
 
“Yes,” Babamon nodded. “Your young brother was here not long ago.”
 
“I figured as much. I've gathered many new Tamers and I plan to bring them here. I believe you can enlighten us on what exactly is going on.”
 
“The corruption virus.” Babamon said.
 
“Yeah,” Jason replied, “But listen. In the presence of the other chosen ones… I'm going to request that you call me Jewel.”
 
“Jewel?” Babamon repeated, “I suppose I could do that for you... But may I ask why?”
 
“Don't worry about that, it's a human thing.” FanBeemon said.
 
“Hmm, fine.” She turned away from them, “When can you bring the others here?”
 
“Tomorrow, late in the afternoon.”
 
“Very well,” the egg on the table hatched, releasing a bright-eyed Mokumon. “I'll discuss current matters with you then, along with the other Tamers. Until then you may go about your business. I have much work to do.” Babamon walked over to the table to tend to the newborn Mokumon.
 
“Okay, thanks. Come on, Jason,” FanBeemon and her Tamer left the mansion and zapped back to the human world.
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Timberdale Public Library
 
“…Huh, take a look at this!”
 
Mabel, a teenage girl in gothic attire, handed Zeb a book, he was an older teenager who wore a leather jacket and goggles.
 
Zeb began reading the paragraph she pointed out in the anatomy book. “Di… gest… ive… system?” He gave her a weird look when he noticed the diagram.
 
“Go on, check it out!”
 
“Food such as dis carrot is chewed into small pieces, swallowed down da esophagus, and then is dissolved by the stomach's acidic fluids… Den da broken down food is absorbed through the intestines and anything dat's missed is excreted as bodily waste.” He set the book down in trance-like amazement. “Jeez-louise.”
 
“This world is more complicated than we give it credit for.” Mabel said.
 
Soon an elderly man with a cane waddled up to them. “I have reserved an open living space for us. The term for it is `apartment.' Remember that.”
 
Mabel turned a few pages in the anatomy book, landing on the reproductive system. “Mm-hmm,” she mumbled.
 
“LILITHMON!” The old man cawed, stealing Mabel's attention. Several patrons angrily shushed him, causing him to scowl back.
 
“Easy, `dad,'” whispered Zeb. “It's Mabel around here, remember?”
 
“Hmph, I expect the both of you to pay full attention when I speak.” He gestured them to get up, “Now come on. I want you two enrolled at the school tomorrow.”
 
Mabel reluctantly shut the book without looking at it again, and the three of them quietly left the library.
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Timberdale - Empty Warehouse
 
“SCHOOL!?”
 
Luke cringed and covered his ears when Rosetta shrieked in surprise. Suddenly a pile of unused lumber near the back doors burst into flame.
 
Geoffrey and Ingo looked over at the burning pile, then back at Rose. She flushed and sat down, looking down at her feet. “…Sorry.”
 
“Maybe she really isn't ready,” Ingo suggested, turning to Geoffrey. “High school can be quite a maelstrom of chaotic emotions.”
 
Rose gave Geoffrey a concerned look. Geoffrey stared back at her, and at Luke. “There is no need to worry,” he said, “I am confident in these children. Starting tomorrow, you two, I want you looking clean and ready to learn.”
 
“But how were you even able to get me registered?” Rose asked. I'm a missing child.”
 
Geoffrey and Ingo looked at each other, Ingo looked at Rose. “Rosetta Erickson… That's not your real name, is it?”
 
“…” Rose looked down. Luke put his hand on her shoulder. “Please… I want to stay here.”
 
“See? It's far too dangerous to put her out there. No offense, Rose. But you're not as stable as most children and when you're overcome—“
 
“Rose.” Luke's face was close to hers. “Show them your new spell.”
 
Rosetta reached her arm out towards the burning lumber on the other side of the room. She shut her eyes and concentrated, the flames flew into the palm of her hand, and condensed into a blazing ball. The ball shrunk until it fizzled into a candle flame, and Rosetta blew it out. She sighed deeply, rubbing the burn mark on her palm.
 
“Oh my…” Geoffrey got up; he walked over and examined her hand. Ingo stared at the extinguished wood in amazement.
 
“I practiced on cardboard boxes today. I'm beginning to get a handle on my abilities.” She put her arm around Luke's shoulder, pulling him close.
 
“See? She can handle herself,” Geoffrey said, looking back at Ingo. “She and Luke will do fine.”
 
Ingo looked at Luke. “Take care of her, and be careful.”
 
Luke nodded, smiling in confidence.
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
BZZZZZT!
 
Jewel and FanBeemon had just gotten back. Alec was waiting for them.
 
“Derek's already gone to bed with Minomon. All his junior high things are ready.”
 
“Good.” Jewel mumbled. She noticed Tsumemon snoozing on Alec's bed.
 
“We should get to bed, too.” FanBeemon said, “Thanks for letting us stay here.”
 
“It's fine. If it's alright to ask, what did you stay behind for?”
 
“You'll know. Tell the others that we need to meet here after school. The digimon, too.” Jewel began walking back to her room, FanBeemon followed after.
 
After they were gone, Alec took a deep sigh, “Jason's changed a lot.”