Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ My Heart is a Battleground ❯ Chapter 26

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 26
 
 
The humans and an exhausted Flamemon were huddled together inside a ring of digimon standing guard. Keramon, Gizamon, FanBeemon, Wormmon, Salamon, Dobermon X, and Babamon were gathered in a circle watching for danger. They were all extremely tense.
 
“What is this power?” Keramon asked, “It's been slowly surrounding us from all sides.”
 
“It's like this entire valley is being crushed in the grip of an unseen force. A dark force.” Salamon said.
 
Cass was still kneeled down to Flamemon, she had a bowl full of liquid that flashed in many rainbow colors. Suddenly Flamemon began groaning and he sat up. Everyone's attention was drawn to him. Cass put her arm on his back in case he fell back down.
 
Babamon looked back at him. “The data from that herb juice seems to be restoring your energy, just as it should.”
 
“Th-thank you, but-ahugh!” He coughed and spit up a bit of the medicine.
 
“Flamemon!” Alec handed Cass a tissue from his pocket, and she used it to wipe off the warrior's lip.
 
“I have just enough strength to lure him away… I didn't mean to land here. I was injured in battle.”
 
“Who!? Who were you fighting?” Vinni asked Flamemon urgently.
 
“Classified,” he mumbled, “Now if you'll excuse me… I have to… ugh!” Flamemon tried getting up to his feet, but he almost collapsed as soon as he stood up. Cass and Jewel grabbed his arms to hold him up.
 
There was a low humming noise and the ground shook a little, the sky turned dark. It wasn't overcast, but all traces of sunlight were erased. A strong wind was blowing through the fields.
 
“It's getting stronger!” Gizamon cried.
 
“Enough!” Derek stood up, “Whatever's doing this is looking for a fight. We're the aliens destined to save the digital world, right? Let's show this thing who it's dealing with!”
 
Everyone looked at Derek for a while without saying anything. Soon, Cass raised her digivice in the air and shouted, “Yeah! Let's go Salamon!” Salamon began glowing in all colors.
 
“Salamon digivolve to… Mikemon!”
 
“Whoa, awesome.” Vinni mumbled.
 
Alec looked down at his digivice, and then raised it just like Cass did. “Okay!” The same thing happened to Keramon.
 
“Keramon digivolve to… Chrysalimon!”
 
Chrysalimon soared above the group as he came out of his transformation, spreading his cable-like tentacles far.
 
The wind calmed down. Jewel and FanBeemon looked at each other. `The power's gotten weaker!'
 
Just then the ground shook again. The humans all nearly lost their footing, except for Jewel.
 
“Wormmon, get ready.” Derek commanded. Wormmon gave his tamer a confident nod.
 
“Derek!” Jewel called over to him. “The dark power got weaker when you said all that about `showing it who's boss.' Its weapon is fear, and you gave us courage to counter it.”
 
“I gave you guys… courage?” A glowing orange symbol began fading in on Derek's DigiCom.
 
“Yeah, that must be why we could get our partners to digivolve just now, right, Cass?” Alec said.
 
“I couldn't figure it out before, but now it seems easy. That's gotta be it, Derek,” Cass responded.
 
Jewel looked over at her partner again. “Hmm…” She curiously raised her digivice in FanBeemon's direction, seconds passed and nothing happened. “Aw, man…” FanBeemon patted her Tamer on the head.
 
“Derek! The darkness may leave if you stand up to it, show it you're not afraid!”
 
“It won't work,” Flamemon mumbled, without the rest hearing him.
 
“Show more… Courage…?” Derek took a step forward and shouted to the sky. “Listen here, beastie! I ain't afraid of you or anything this world can throw at me. So bring it on!”
 
The symbol on his digivice faded. The sky turned pitch black. Chrysalimon and Mikemon became dizzy and reverted to their Rookie forms. Alec caught Keramon in his arms and stumbled a little, catching himself before falling over.
 
“That can't be good…” Vinni said.
 
“Salamon, what happened?” Cass asked kneeled down to talk to her partner.
 
“We couldn't… hold it…” Salamon sounded sleepy.
 
The ground shook once more, and a giant, black hand sprouted up, ready to snatch Derek and Wormmon. Everyone gasped, knowing that it was already too late to stop it. The hand lunged for Derek.
 
“No, Cherubimon!”
 
In a burst of flame, Agunimon appeared, stopping the hand with a fiery punch. A smoldering patch of grass remained where Flamemon was. After stopping the attack he fell to the ground, and the hand came crashing down on him. The hand then sunk into the ground and nothing remained in front of Wormmon and Derek. A couple seconds passed and two objects floated out of the ground, the Human and Beast spirits of Fire. The spirits zoomed into the sky and parted in different directions, and then a DigiEgg materialized on the ground where they were.
 
“Oh…” Babamon looked like she was about to faint.
 
“The legendary warriors are gone,“ Jewel said darkly, “All gone.”
 
“Hang on,” Alec said, “Did he say Cherubimon?”
 
Derek was on the ground, scared stiff from what he just saw. “D-Derek…?” Wormmon crawled up to him. “Do something, Derek.” Wormmon's face showed that he was just as scared as his Tamer was.
 
Suddenly many hands came up from under the ground, surrounding the children and digimon. Everyone packed closer together, looking up at the large, black hands. The hands were ready to strike. Dobermon X growled loudly.
 
“Oh jeez,” Jewel began pressing buttons on her DigiCom. She was about to execute a function when Derek screamed.
 
“No!!!” Derek was trembling like crazy, still gripped with fear. “You won't take anyone else!” The glowing orange symbol shone brilliantly on Derek's chest and through his jersey.
 
“It can't be…” Jewel whispered.
 
“Is that a crest!?” Babamon shouted.
 
An object appeared in front of Derek and Wormmon. It was round and red, with a blade sticking out of the top.
 
“Oh…” Alec remembered, “Derek! Point your digivice at the thing and say `Digimental Up!'”
 
Derek raised his shaking arm and shouted “D… Digimental Up!”
 
The artifact was sucked into the scan lens on Derek's DigiCom, and suddenly an orange blaze erupted from the machine. It flew to Wormmon and enveloped him, much to the digimon's surprise. Wormmon levitated in the air, and exploded with orange light.
 
“Wormmon armor digivolve to… Shadramon!”
 
The sphere of light around him shattered to reveal a new form. It looked like a human-sized, bipedal moth with cannon-like forearms and a flame pattern all over its body.
 
“Uh… Who?” Vinni asked. Jewel pulled him over, showing the hologram window on her DigiCom.
 
# Shadramon. Virus attribute. Armor level. Insectoid Digimon. Special: Flash Buster. #
 
Derek gawked up at his partner's glowing shape. Shadramon turned to the rest of the group. He said one thing, “…Get down.” He then raised his arms in the air. Everyone dropped to the ground and covered their heads. “Flash Buster!”
 
A large ball of light materialized from strings of flame coming from Shadramon's arm cannons, it resembled a tiny sun. Shadramon moved his arms forward, and the fireball hovered above the group of humans and digimon, positioning itself in the middle of the circle of dark hands surrounding our heroes. The hands writhed and twitched under the brilliant light of Shadramon's fireball. Shadramon swiftly parted his hands in a horizontal fashion, and many tiny fireballs began erupting from the larger one, striking each hand with the fire of courage. A loud hissing noise came from the hands and they sank back into the ground. They combined into a shadow, which bolted back into the mountains and over the horizon. The large fireball shrank into a spark and fizzled out in midair.
 
The clouds parted and the sun was revealed, letting everyone know it was okay to get back up. Salamon stood, shaking her head. “That's much better,” her energy had returned.
 
“Yeah, it's great to see the sun again,” Alec commented, gazing up at its high-noon brilliance. The sun then vanished as nightfall swept over the valley in an instant. “…Aw.”
 
“What…” Vinni turned to Babamon, “What the hell was that thing!?”
 
“Well… I…”
 
“I think it was Cherubimon,” Alec said.
 
“That's right,” Jewel butted in, “One of the three Great Angel Digimon. Guardian of knowledge and legends.” She looked towards the mountains where the shadow fled, “You weren't kidding. With the Great Angels lost to the corruption, as well as the Legendary Warriors…”
 
“The world is doomed to plunge into chaos… Ooh,” Babamon nearly fainted again. Cass moved to catch her but she held herself up with her broomstick.
 
Derek was still gawking up at Shadramon, although he was now standing on the ground. “Thanks, Derek. I couldn't have done it without you,” Shadramon grinned at his Tamer.
 
“I… How… What did I do?”
 
Babamon shook her head and got to her feet. “My boy you have found a Digimental. A manifestation of human virtue that can be used to digivolve a certain few digimon into very unique forms.”
 
“But why me?” Derek looked down at his DigiCom.
 
“I'm not sure how you obtained that particular Digimental, but you activated it by showing immense courage in the face of danger. The Digimental of Courage is yours to use.”
 
“So wait, there are more of them?” Gizamon asked.
 
“Indeed,” Babamon replied, “They must be hiding somewhere in the digital world. Their activation will depend on what virtue they represent.
 
“Yeah, and if you find more, Wormmon will be able to turn into all sorts of things!” Alec said excitedly.
 
Derek hobbled forward and fell into a big hug with Shadramon. Jewel patted her brother on the back. “You did well,” she said with a slight smile.
 
“You kids need to go back to your own world. Regroup and come back with a plan of action,” Babamon said, picking up Flamemon's egg.
 
“But what are you gonna do here?” Salamon asked the Mega with concern.
 
“Yeah, I can't help but feel this is… kind of our fault…” Vinni said the last part softly.
 
“I'll take care of this egg, and try and locate the other nine warriors' eggs. They should be somewhere in this valley. I have some powerful friends that can help me guard this sanctuary from danger. What ever happens, we cannot lose Genesis Valley.” Babamon began waddling back towards her mansion.
 
“She's right,” Jewel said, “It's getting late. We need to get home.”
 
“Yeah, we still have school tomorrow.” Cass mentioned.
 
“Maybe we should leave the digimon here overnight to help Babamon.” Vinni thought out loud.
 
Alec looked over at his partner, “You okay with that, Keramon?”
 
Keramon put his hands behind his head and hovered around Alec casually. “Sounds good to me. This world is a million times better anyway.”
 
Shadramon nodded, “I'd be glad to help.”
 
“Me, too,” Gizamon agreed. “But what are you guys gonna do on the other side?”
 
“We'll figure that out tomorrow, we'll fill you in on anything important after school.” Jewel said.
 
“Hey, Babamon!” Derek called to her as she was walking away.
 
She turned around. Keramon, Gizamon, Shadramon, Salamon, and FanBeemon joined her by her side.
 
“They help keep watch on the Valley tonight,” Cass called to Babamon.
 
Babamon smiled and waved to the Tamers as they zapped back to their own world.