Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hybrid Generations ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Been a while, hasn't it? Well, I'm proud to say I survived high school, but on to the point. In light of one reviewer explaining Dobermon/Cerebremon's attacks, it actually inspired me to alter the story a little. (Thanks to that reviewer, whoever that anonymous reviewer was). After a long time coming, here's the next chapter.
 
Chapter 9: Aftermath
 
The youth, as well as his other youthful coworkers watched the screen closely. Their focus was a pulsating target on the screen, and quietly, they waited for something to happen. Before long, the target died out of sight. The tension in the room eased up. The young Yamaki spun in his chair a few times.
 
“They're disappearing,” Reiko Yamaki breathed a sigh of relief, “gods, that was really close.”
 
“I'll say so,” the young black man known as “Babel” took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes, “I'll never understand how Dad did this kind of work.”
 
“Guys, we're getting a call from Tao,” the young Indian female picked up the phone, “this is Kaju…” What followed was a short conversation. She hung up the phone and turned to her coworkers, “Tao said that we have to watch out for any more flare ups and to call him if there are any.”
 
“Blake,” Reiko turned his attention to Babel, “run a scan. Kaju, go and make sure everything is fine in the Digital World. You heard boss-man, we got to get back to work.”
 
“No rest for the weary,” Blake sighed as he put his glasses back on and began to scan the Greater West Shinjuku city area. Kaju went over to her computer and began to scan the alternate world. Yamaki looked around the office, “Kaju, Blake, did you guys ever have a digimon?” Blake looked over to his comrade.
 
“Nope,” Blake answered as he turned back to his computer, “always wanted a digimon partner, especially when Dad would talk about them. But, I never got one.”
 
Kaju turned, “at one point I did,” she sighed, “but she soon disappeared after the D-Reaper thing.” Yamaki and Blake were quiet. They have never known about Kaju's past. All they knew was that her mother worked with both of their fathers at one point, at the exact same job they were doing right now. “I remember her, she was a Aluramon…”
 
“Aluramon?” Reiko asked, “the species of plant digimon with the flower on its head…”
 
“You know how even the smartest people in the world don't even know everything about our own world?” Kaju asked, and was given an answer in the form of a nod, “well, it's the same with that world. Not everything is known; most of it is even unknown to the digimon itself. Aluramon was just one kind of variation of plant type digimon. Like humans and monkeys, there are different evolution routes of digimon.” Reiko decided to drop the subject after Kaju's story. He didn't know that she was that personal with digimon, nor did he have any knowledge about the Digital World.
 
“Everything's clear at home,” Blake reported. Kaju turned to her screen again and reported the same thing. Reiko looked around, “alright guys, let's relax for right now. Lee-san will call us when something's up. Oh, and good job today.”
 
~*~
 
Clamors and noise echoed from the small bakery during the midnight hours of the eventful day. The Matsuda Bakery was unanimously decided as the “unofficial base,” which Takato did not mind much, but they did not take into account the size of the small business space.
 
“Does anyone know what the hell is happening?” Ruki looked around the now crowded Matsuda bakery. All of them turned to Jenrya. The longhaired Lee sweat dropped and a dumbfounded chuckle came out of his mouth, “well you see, there's been fields opening around the city again…”
 
“We know that,” Ruki said impatiently, “I thought we got rid of them after that whole D-Reaper thing 17 years ago.”
 
“Calm down wildcat,” Ryo quipped. The red-head sent a glare toward the Legendary Tamer, “we honestly don't know who is opening these things, and besides its not like we still want to battle. All of our digimon cannot perform as well as they used to.”
 
“Speak for your own digimon,” Renamon said.
 
“Actually, its with all the digimon, you included dear,” Jenrya said, “some kind of strange difference in data. Its like they're almost outdated.”
 
“That explains what happened earlier,” Ryo commented, “but one thing I don't understand is if Renamon and the others are considered “outdated data,” then how is Kitsune and the others really strong if they have the same data as our digimon?”
 
Jenrya put his hand on his chin in thought, “I haven't figured that out yet. It is a strange phenomenon. Atsuiko could call up darkness…”
 
“Keishinko was able to use her Leomon's `Fist of the Beast King' and even sustain it,” Karen added.
 
“And Kitsune was able to actually use his speed and `Fox Leaf Arrowhead' without any problems.” Takato added to the conversation. Jenrya looked into the other room where the hybrids were resting with Hirokazu and Kenta as well as the other digimon. “At least they were somewhat older when they started fighting,” Jenrya sighed, “not 13 like the rest of us.”
 
“Jen, we all know how you feel about fighting,” Ruki placed a hand on Jenrya's shoulder, “but they're all strong enough to fight. We all saw how each of them fought. If anything, they were stronger than we were when we fought the D-Reaper.” The elder Lee nodded.
 
“Back to the topic, who would open those Digital gates?” Jenrya walked back to the others.
 
“Maybe it's the digimon in the Digital World. You did say that they are different data now. Maybe they got an attitude change too.” Karen suggested, “I mean, you did say that one of the Gods did hate humans right?”
 
“Zhuqiaomon wouldn't do something this extreme,” Jenrya looked over to Karen, “he respects us now because we helped save their world. Besides, the other Gods wouldn't let him do something like that.”
 
“So if it can't be digimon,” Takato questioned, “then would it be human cause?”
 
“Possibly, but I don't know of any technology that could break two firewalls like that, causing a wormhole in essentially two different dimensions.” Ryo said.
 
“Humans…” Jenrya began to think, “I think we may be dealing with a force that even my dad and the Wild Bunch couldn't even go up against.” Jenrya pulled out his cell phone. “Reiko-kun, I may have an idea where the wild ones have been coming from…” silence for a moment, “Yes. So you thought so too. Yeah, it's a shame, but we have to stop it.” He hung up the phone. “Everyone,” he looked around at every person in the bakery: Karen, Ruki alongside with Takato, and Ryo, “looks like we may have to fight a former foe.”
 
~*~
 
Keishinko leaned back in the recliner of the living room of the Matsuda home. “Damn, those digimon are tougher than I thought,” Keishinko said as she checked the bandages around her waist and her head, “I almost died a few times today.”
 
“You're telling me,” Kitsune looked down at his torn clothing, “I liked this shirt.”
 
“Small sacrifice for your life, I think,” Hirokazu said to the hybrid, “besides, you kicked some major butt out there.”
 
“Yeah, I didn't know you were so fast and strong Kitsune,” Kenta praised, “all that training with your mom?” Kitsune smiled and nodded. He took off his glasses and polished it on his torn shirt. “Still, it was close.” He looked over to Atsuiko, who was quiet and has never said anything since all of them met up. `Wonder how Atsuiko felt. She never ever wants to fight, and she doesn't seem to be a person to fight.'
 
“Atsuiko,” Keishinko got the attention of the dark-haired hybrid, “how did you do?”
 
“Um,” Atsuiko was hesitant to answer, “I…did okay.” She turned her attention to the floor to try to avoid eye contact, and her face was flushed red. Kitsune and Keishinko looked at her strangely, “you fought, Atsuiko?” Keishinko asked. She nodded, seemingly in shame. “Awesome! Damn, I missed it!” Keishinko got up and literally pounced on her long-time friend, “Atsu, you gotta show me how you fought.”
 
“Um, thanks Keishin-chan,” Atsuiko sweat dropped, “but I'd rather not fight…”
 
“I'm kind of curious how you fought too,” Kitsune smiled, “honestly, I thought you didn't want to fight, so I thought you wouldn't.”
 
“Ruki-san taught me that I have to do what I have to sometimes.” Atsuiko smiled, “I would rather not fight all the time, only if I have to…” At that moment, what seemed like a shock jolted through Atsuiko's head. She put her hand on her head in pain. `Wh…what is this?' She thought as a picture of herself in inverted black and white flashed through her mind. But it wasn't the same timid face that was the true Atsuiko, but one of fangs and anger contorting her normally shy face.
 
“Atsuiko?” Keishinko backed up to let her breathe, “are you okay?”
 
The image of terror disappeared, and her migraine-like headache suddenly disappeared as well. Not wanting to upset or worry her friends, she lied, “Oh, yes, I'm fine Keishin-chan.” She looked over to Kitsune, “really, I'm fine.”
 
Kitsune, not satisfied with the excuse, decided to continue anyway. “Well, as long as we don't have to fight for a while,” Kitsune sighed, “Thank the gods it's the weekend…”
 
“Speak for yourself,” Keishinko moved her hair out of her face with her bruised hand, “I want to fight again. Beat more digimon!”
 
“Not with all those bruises,” Kenta intervened, “you three are probably the only ones who can fight all those digimon now. Marineangemon, Guardromon, and the others might not be able to fight as well as they used to. We saw what happened when Guilmon and Renamon tried to fight.”
 
All three hybrids nodded. Each hybrid has seen the difficulties the original partners and Tamers had with fighting digimon and they all had their first battle experiences. “Question,” Keishinko raised her hand, “does anyone know where these digimon came from?”
 
“The Digital World,” Hirokazu answered, “but how they got here is a different story. That's Kit's dad's job.”
 
`I knew dad's job was more in depth than I though,' Kitsune thought as he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes, `I didn't know it involved two worlds though.' “Where is the Digital World?”
 
“We don't really know, but we did go there a while back,” Kenta said, thinking about the past, “but after that thing when your parents were 13, we really never saw it again.”
 
“How'd you get in?” Keishinko sat back down on the recliner, her tail sticking out from the side, “oww, damn bruises…”
 
“Though the park, but it kind of disappeared and has not been there for a while,” Kitagawa said, “I wonder, if all these fields are open again, it may be a possibility that the one we're talking about is open again. But, I don't know if that park still exists.”
 
“Which park?” Kitsune asked.
 
“Central Shinjuku Park. It was in the center of the city.” Kenta got up and walked to the window, “I know the playground is still there, but I'm not sure about the rest of it, like the tool shed it was originally in.” He looked over to Hirokazu, “Hirokazu, do you remember if it was still there?”
 
“The penguin is,” Hirokazu folded his arms, “but looks like there were a bunch of trees or something that took the place of Guilmon's home.” Hirokazu looked around at the hybrids around him. Keishinko sat up, Kitsune was attentive, and Atsuiko's focus was now completely on the two elders. “It should still be there.”
 
“Wait,” the Leomon Hybrid looked at Hirokazu and Kenta, “you aren't planning on actually going back to the Digital World are you?”
 
Kenta shook his head, “no, not at all. But with the situation at hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it does lead us to that place. I'm a bit concerned that the gate in that area may be a result of all of this.” He adjusted his glasses slightly, “Of course, me and Hirokazu didn't do much when your parents saved the world.” He laughed, “We were kind of clean up duty. Jen, Takato, Ruki, and Ryo did most of the heroic stuff.”
 
“Where is this Gate thing again?” Kitsune asked.
 
“In Central Shinjuku Park.” Kenta answered, “Now don't go looking for it Kit. One: The Digital World is extremely dangerous. We were just lucky that we met Jijimon and Babamon and they actually took care of us when we had no digimon. And two: your dad and mom would kill me if they found out we told you where the Gate was.”
 
“I don't intend to.” Kitsune promised, “I'd rather use the weekend to rest and relax than to go on some crazy adventure. Today was enough adventure and action for a few weeks actually.”
 
“I think my house is still there,” Guilmon said from behind the couch.
 
“Guilmon,” Kitsune turned to the red and black-striped dinosaur, “that old tool shed?”
 
The digimon nodded, “I hid something very important there. More important than anything I have ever hid before. Even more important than bread.”
 
“What would that be?” Keishinko asked.
 
“It's a secret,” Guilmon whispered to everyone in the room, “but it's very important. The Gods gave it to me to protect, so I put it somewhere very secret.”
 
“The Gods…?” Everyone in the room said in unison. Now there were questions that had to be asked. `First, all these digimon attack, and now…'
 
“Guilmon, what are you talking about this time?” Takato asked from the doorway. Guilmon smiled and walked over to his Tamer. “I was telling everyone about my special thing.” Takato's eyes narrowed. Ruki looked away from her husband. Renamon looked over to Guilmon, and then to Takato. Ryo immediately looked to Takato, then to Jenrya.
 
“Special thing?” Jenrya asked, “What is this all about?”
 
Takato laughed, “It's just something I gave Guilmon a while back. You know, after we defeated the D-Reaper.”
 
“But…” Guilmon was about to correct him, but was cut off again by his Tamer.
 
“Well, looks like everything was straightened out and all three of you look like you got some rest.” Takato smiled, “It's getting pretty late, you should all head home and get some sleep.” Slowly, everyone began to leave the Matsuda Bakery. Jenrya was the last one to leave, but stopped at the door and turned to Takato, “Takato, I know we all have all own lives now, but secrets, especially when something like this happens, should be told.” Takato stood there silently. Jenrya sighed, “Oh, well, we'll see you tomorrow. Good night, Takato, Ruki.”
 
Kitsune began to walk home with his mother while his father unlocked the door to his car. “Dad…?” Kitsune started. The elder Lee looked over to his son, “what is it?”
 
“Takato-san,” Kitsune started again. Jenrya cut him off, “don't worry about it Kitsune. It was just something important to Takato that he gave to Guilmon 17 years ago, one year before you were born.” The longhaired Lee smiled to his son, got into his car, and drove home.
 
“I wouldn't worry about what Takato and Guilmon are doing or what they did.” Renamon told her son, “all of us have secrets, and Takato and Guilmon have their own. Now let's go home.” Kitsune nodded, and with the blink of an eye, the mother and son were gone.
 
---
 
“I can't believe that came up,” Ruki sighed, “I never wanted to hear about it again.”
 
“Don't worry,” Takato said as he locked the back door of the Bakery, “it's all taken care of. We had it for this long, and what happened tonight won't put it in danger.” Ruki shook her head as she took off unbuttoned the top collar button.
 
“I hope you're right.”
 
~*~*~
 
A/N: Just one thing to say. I know there was a “schedule,” but it was never followed, nor does it intend to be followed. I have no structured plan on how I write. I apologize, but the world is a crazy place, and I just live in it.
 
---Dexstrosity the LdOFDestruction