Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hybrid Generations ❯ Higura ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 10: Higura
 
“The city, it's so beautiful at night.”
 
“Higura-sama,” a large being walked into the double doors, “you ordered us to return?” The being in front of the large window did not move, “Seira and Genesis are on their way up here.”
 
“Terry,” the being turned. Long, blond hair turned with the head of the being. A feminine face stared at the burly human, “how did you like wandering the city, watching the others?”
 
“Um, excuse me?” the one named Terry asked, slightly bewildered by the strange question, “it was okay, I guess.”
 
The woman in front of him smiled, “good. A boy at your age should be able to see this magnificent city. Have you ever walked around like you did today?” Terry shook his head, “why not?”
 
“Well, Johnson-san and the others won't usually let me. And Kisho-san and Ariyama-san will not let the others go either. Like they won't let Seira and Genesis go out. We're usually in here.”
 
“That's a pity,” she said sympathetically, “I should let you go out more.” Before the conversation continued, two more walked into the well-lit room. “Higura-sama, we have returned.” A female with a hat on reported.
 
“I believe that we could have attacked them and won,” a boy beside her said, “they do not seem that hard to defeat.”
 
“You three accomplished what I wanted you to,” the longhaired female known as “Higura,” spoke, “we completed our research, and you three were able to walk around this beautiful city.” The three looked at each other in confusion. “Terry, you're keeping your ears clean.” she walked up to the largest of beings. She smiled and touched his long, floppy ear, tickling him, but tried hard to keep his laughter contained. “Seira, you're looking beautiful today.” The younger female tipped her hat and thanked her superior for the compliment. Seira adjusted the mask on her face. “And Genesis, you're looking healthier today.” Genesis looked at the floor with his one eye. His other “eye” glowed red, but he nodded and accepted the compliment.
 
“You should all get some rest now. It's been a long day. Good night.” The superior smiled at them and turned to stare out the window once again. The three walked out of the room, a bit confused with the compliments.
 
 
“Higura is a bit strange,” Terry said as he walked down the hall with the two others. He looked down from his tall height to his colleagues, who were considerably shorter, “she always does something like that when we talk to her.”
 
“Yes,” Seira nodded as she adjusted her hat, “but she is just showing her care for us. Although it does seem very strange.”
 
“Higura-sama is our superior,” Genesis spoke, “nothing more. Not a caretaker, not a friend, she's just there to give out orders.”
 
Before long, the trio found themselves in front of a large door in the dimmed hall. There was not a sound as they stood in front of the looming door. Genesis reached over to the sidewall and punched in a numerical code. Within a matter of seconds, the door slid up. Inside was a modern marvel, a giant room with gadgets of any kind. Millions of test tubes lied dormant on tables, beakers filled with strange chemicals, glass boxes filled with strange pieces of an unknown substance floated within the space, and three scientists stood around as each teenager went over to their respective “caretakers.”
 
“Finally home,” Terry exclaimed as he walked over to a tall, brown-haired white man, “Hey Johnson-san.” The scientist turned around and smiled at the sight of the large teen.

”Hello Terry,” his smile was warm, yet unconvincing, “how was your mission?”
 
“Great,” Terry nodded, “I finally saw those other ones…”
 
“I see,” the smile on the older man's face faded, “well, don't worry, they can't hurt you. Now let's check you up so you don't have any problems.” Terry sat down on a stool as the scientist placed some pads and wires on his face, arms, chest, and legs. “Don't worry Terry,” the scientist reassured the teen, “standard procedure.” He went over to the computer.
 
“Seira,” a female scientist stood in front of the cloaked girl, “you're doing okay?” Seira nodded. The shorthaired scientist, dressed in a lab coat buttoned up completely, smiled, “good to hear. What do you think of the others you've observed tonight?”
 
“Weak,” Seira took off her pointed hat, “I think we could have destroyed them easily.” She sat in front of the scientist.
 
“I wouldn't be so hasty,” the scientist stood behind her subject, “they may be as strong as you. We don't know yet. We don't want to lose you guys.”
 
“Heh,” the teen shook her head, and her rough, blond hair moved around, “that's considerate Kisho-san.” Kisho smiled as she connected the pads to the teen in front of her. “Relax Seira,” Kisho told her, “and put your scepter down.” Seira nodded as she unbuckled her facemask and put down her staff.
 
Genesis walked up to the third scientist, “Ariyama-san,” his face remained stoic as he reached into his pocket. The dark-haired young female scientist turned, “Genesis,” her face was stoic as well, “that hybrid you watched. What do you think?”
 
The half-metallic faced young man pulled out a small box from his pocket and a golden lighter from the other, “Interesting,” he pulled out a small cylinder from the box and placed it in between his lips, “I wouldn't mind seeing her again.” The golden lighter turned on, creating a small flame. The energy transferred from the lighter to the cigarette and the smoke filled the space in front of his face.
 
“You know,” Ariyama turned and grabbed the pads and wires, “that smoking you do is bad for your health.”
 
“Does it even matter?” Genesis puffed. “Terry, Seira, and myself are just artificial right? We're just made up of data and a tinge of matter.” Ariyama remained silent, “Lung disease, throat cancer, emphysema…” he took another puff, “all of those “problems” can just be repaired by data.”
 
“Don't be so sure of that,” Ariyama coughed, “just put out that cigarette and lets get the scanning started.”
 
“Will this mean I will die by one of those diseases?” Genesis asked as he dug the heated tip of the cigarette into the table. Ariyama remained silent. “I'm half human, half mechanical digimon. Smoking is nothing. That's the way you made me.”
 
“Just because we “made” you doesn't mean we don't care what happens to you,” Ariyama said simply, “Johnson-san, Kisho-san, and myself care about every single one of you. We take care of you like you are our children…”
 
“Whatever,” Genesis stated, “let's get this systems scan done so I can go to sleep.” Ariyama nodded and began to place the pads on the hybrid teen. Ariyama stood back with her colleagues Kisho and Johnson. She observed her “son” as he sat on the stool waiting silently for his daily treatment to begin.

”Genesis is making me a bit nervous,” Ariyama placed a hand on her chin, “he smokes all the time, and I'm afraid that may affect his mind as well as body.”
 
“Yes,” Johnson agreed, “but it is his decision, and he can be beneficial to the experimental parts they are part of.” Kisho looked over to Seira, who was now sitting with her arms folded. The shorthaired scientist looked on, almost gleaming with pride. `Poor Seira,' she thought, `to be a hybrid of a digimon that always hides their face…'
 
“How about Terry?” Kisho turned her attention to her coworker, “How is he doing?”
 
“Better than I thought,” Johnson spoke as he scribbled down something onto a clipboard, “his muscle strength is that of a digimon, but he has a figure of a human.” All three scientists looked on as the three hybrids sat obediently on the stools, waiting for the systems scan to finish. Before long, the scan stopped. Seira, Terry, and Genesis were disconnected and were told that they could go to bed now. Each teen nodded and walked to their shared room.
 
They all entered the hallway in which they first entered the lab, and turned right to a plain-looking door. Terry turned to doorknob, opening the dormitory. Inside was a large room consisting of three beds, one against the back wall and two against the right wall, a closet by the bed in the back, a refrigerator by another door, which led to a bathroom, a television right beside the main door which in turn was connected to two large speakers and a few game systems, and to complete the room was a table and chairs by the fridge. “NOW we're home,” Terry smiled as he jumped onto his bed at the bottom right of the room.
 
“It does feel good to finally lay down,” Seira sighed as she went over to the bed at the back of the room and lay with her head facing away from the closet door.
 
Genesis was silent as he walked over to his bed and sat down on it, “I used my last cigarette when Ariyama-san told me to put it out…”
 
“Good,” Terry said as he lay back on the pillow, moving his floppy ears carefully out of the way, “it makes the room smell. I hate that smell…” Genesis sat on his bed silently, but his red eye began to glow. “Come on Gen, remember, I got the really sensitive nose?”
 
“Calm down Genesis, Terry,” Seira eased the tension, “we'll get you more cigarettes in the morning. Get some rest; we may have to fight those other guys sometime. And we must be prepared for anything Higura-sama gives us.” Seira took off her hat and lay on the bed. “Good night.”
 
“G'night,” Terry responded as he quickly went to sleep. Genesis sat silently on his bed in the darkness as his colleagues slumbered. `That girl,' he thought, `something very peculiar about her.' He lay down and slowly, but surely, fell asleep.
 
 
Kitsune sat up from his bed. His long ears twitched at the thought of what had happened that night. His tail moved around as he looked around in the darkness. He reached over for his glasses and put them on, “Man, I can't sleep,” he said silently as he got out of bed and walked over to his window. He stared out of it in thought. `I wonder,' Kitsune thought, `the Digital World. How would it be like? Dad's been there, Mom's from there…' He sighed as he went over to his computer and turned it on.
 
`Maybe a game will help me go back to sleep,' he thought as his computer booted up. Before he could log into his favorite computer game, he was notified automatically that he had received a new email. He opened his Inbox to see an email from “Higura” and it read:
 
Hello Kitsune, I know all about you, Atsuiko, and Keishinko. I think you are wonderful, but I would like to know more about you and your hybrid abilities. Please meet us in West Shinjuku Park after school on Monday. Thanks, and hope I see you there! ---Higura
 
Kitsune stared at his screen blankly, “what the…?” Kitsune muttered, “how does this Higura person know who I am, and how do they know who Keish and Atsuiko are?” He looked at the email address, “hmm, Higura@smartech.org…” he pressed the reply button, “better send them an email. I don't trust this…” He was about to send it, but yawned instead. “Eh, I'll just email these people tomorrow. Finally, I'm feeling sleepy…” he yawned again as he took off his glasses and placed them on the desk. He lay down on the soft bed on his side to avoid crushing his tail and went to sleep immediately.
 
 
Reiko, Blake, and Kaju watched the screens closely. The younger workers have been watching closely for any other flare-ups, but were close to going to sleep. “Hey guys, I think it's almost time to retire.” Blake looked at his watch, “it's 2:30.”
 
“I am really tired,” Kaju yawned and stretched from her seat, “There hasn't been a flare-up in the Digital World for a couple of hours now.”
 
“True,” Reiko said, “you know what guys, you two can go to sleep now. I'm going to stay up for a bit and make sure everything's secure.”
 
“You sure?” Blake took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes, “you've been working harder than Kaju or I. You should get some sleep too.”
 
“I will,” Reiko leaned against his fist, “Just making sure that everything is okay. You guys can go to sleep. I'll see you guys in the morning.” He gave them a reassuring smile. They reluctantly left the room and Reiko was left in the large monitor room. He sat there in thought about what Jenrya told him earlier. “It can't be,” the young Yamaki said to himself, “it just can't. I mean I've known them for so long. They wouldn't do this.”
 
The blond 17-year old took out his wallet and looked though the pictures in his wallet. He came upon a picture when he was a baby with his family. It was a Christmas picture, in which his father held him in his arms and his mother, with her long, red hair, stood beside him. They all smiled in the picture. Reiko smiled at the picture as well. He then turned the page, and his smile quickly disappeared, `I still can't believe that you may be responsible for this,' He closed his eyes and shook his head slowly, `I hope it isn't, but if you are, then why?'
 
He sat there quietly for a few more moments, and finally got up putting his wallet away in the process. Reiko walked over to the door and turned off the lights, leaving all the monitors on, as he joined his colleagues, retiring to bed after such a hectic day.
 
 
A/N: Just to note that all of the names for new characters are names I have made up. Hoped you enjoyed this chapter.
 
~*~Dexstrosity the LdOFDestruction