Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hybrid Generations ❯ Scouting Missions ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: New chapter :D. Hope you enjoy it.
 
Chapter 13: Scouting Missions
 
Higura stared out of her giant window during nightfall throughout the city. She sat in the executive leather chair as the lights of West Shinjuku slowly began to flicker on like millions of fireflies on a hot summer night. `As usual, such a beautiful night,' She leaned against her fist and tilted slightly so her weight was supported by her right arm, `and the children are stuck in those laboratories so they can be tested.' Higura sighed as she turned around to see her own office.
 
“Teenagers are meant to rebel,” Higura thought out loud, “to wander, to enjoy life. But Terry, Seira, and Genesis don't have that luxury.” A voice suddenly came from the small, triangle shaped speaker on her desk.
 
“Ms. Higura,” The voice spoke, “The three scientists are here, and they want to speak to you.”
 
“Let them in,” Higura said as she stood up and straightened her business suit. The two female scientists and male scientist dressed in plain colored slacks and white lab coats walked into the room. “Johnson-san, Ariyama-san, Kisho-san.” The boss lady smiled as she shook the hands of all three scientists, “what are the reports?”
 
“Terry, Seira, and Genesis are quite healthy,” Johnson spoke first, “tests have shown that they are at the tail end of their puberty stages, and they are growing up very healthy.”
 
“And they are slowly beginning to find their own identities and abilities,” Ariyama reported, “Genesis, for example, has quite a personality. I believe he actually mimicked it from the books he reads…”
 
“Is that so,” Higura walked over to her desk and sat down on her chair again, “and how about Seira?”
 
“She is becoming stronger and stronger everyday,” Kisho reported, trying to smile.
 
“Are they ready to combat the organics?” Higura looked at Johnson.
 
“They haven't had any simulations in battle yet,” Johnson said as he looked through his papers once again, “but I believe that all three hybrids are ready for battle...”
 
“Wait,” Ariyama interrupted the American scientist, “neither Seira, Terry, nor Genesis has seen battle, other than the other night. But they weren't even part of it.”
 
“They are capable enough to fight like other digimon and hybrids,” Johnson faced the longhaired female scientist, “we have collected the organics' data and our three can be told their weaknesses and strengths. The power is in our data…”
 
“But what if any of them get injured?” Kisho suddenly asked.
 
“Then we shall treat them,” Johnson snapped. He turned to Higura, “my apologies Ms. Higura. But I believe that the hybrids are ready for battle.”
 
“I do not think so,” Higura said as she turned her chair and stared out the window again, “send them on another scouting mission. To the homes of the three organics, respectively.” Johnson nodded. “And one more thing,” Higura turned to face the scientists one more time, “I want to see how each of them react to their respective “counterparts.” Terry goes after the fox, Seira goes after the lion, and Genesis goes after the dog.”
 
“With all due respect Higura-sama,” Ariyama turned to face her boss, “why those specific pairings?”
 
“To gather more data. And I'm conducting this as a little experiment. There will possibly be more than one mission for them tonight as well.” Higura answered, “Now go and send them out.” The three scientists obeyed and walked out of the large office. `I've done my part,' Higura thought as she continued to watch out the window, `although I do not want to harm any of the hybrids organic or not, I believe there will be some violence. There is no other way.'
 
~*~
 
“Come on, you guys got a mission,” a brown-haired man in a sweater walked into the room of hybrids, “Higura-sama and the others are summoning you.”
 
Terry looked at the guard and got up from his bed, “Aw man, and I thought we were going to have the night off.” He looked over to Genesis and then to Seira. He sighed as he got up to walk over to the door. Seira grabbed her hat and put on her mask and followed her colleague. Genesis got up slowly and walked over to the door. “Hey,” Terry tapped the guy on the shoulder, “do you know what kind of mission we're going on?”
 
“Don't know,” he shrugged, “they just told me to get you guys.”
 
“Who are you anyway? We haven't seen you here before.” Seira asked.
 
“New guy,” he turned and smirked, “just call me Kazano. I'm just here as a messenger boy and I clean up the lab when the others leave. Essentially, I'm a newly hired janitor even though they call it an “internship.””
 
“And you do not fear us?” Genesis asked.
 
“Not really,” Kazano shrugged, “I overhear the scientists talk about you sometimes and I kind of imagined you guys in my mind before. Well, it's been fun talking, but here's your stop.” He opened the door to the laboratory and promptly left after. The three hybrids entered the mysterious place of science once again and saw their three mentors standing by each other waiting for them.
 
“So what is the mission this time?” Seira asked, adjusting her hat slightly.
 
“Another scouting mission,” Johnson answered. Terry sighed in disappointment, “you must go to the homes of the organic hybrids and gather as much data as you can. No battling can take place.”
 
“What if they accidentally run into us though?” Terry asked.
 
“Don't let it happen,” Ariyama said, “You three are not ready for battle yet.”
 
“We are though…” Terry urged, but was quickly shot down by the three scientists. He grumbled under his breath. The large digimon hybrid sighed as he continued to listen to his superiors half-heartedly, `Damn it, I want to fight,' Terry twitched slightly, `I know I can beat that skinny little fox boy.' He blinked as he awaited the end of their briefing.
 
“Listen in if there are any new briefings. That is all,” Johnson spoke, “be safe, all of you.” They all understood their orders and left to begin their mission.
 
~*~
 
Kitsune sat in front of the glowing screen of his computer. His finger continually tapped the D key softly, thinking of what to write, `For a future writer,' he adjusted his glasses, `I'm pretty slow at this.' He looked at the keyboard, but none of his fingers moved. The hybrid turned his head slightly, frustrated by the writer's block that developed. But his lack of ideas for writing was one of the last things on his mind. Quickly, his thoughts changed from possible story ideas to the mysterious email from Higura and his meeting of Alec, the Seadramon hybrid revolutionist. Kitsune opened a new window on his computer and brought up the email once again. He read over it about ten times, thinking every time if he and the others should meet this mysterious Higura. And was Alec connected with this Higura? He shook his head as he got up.
 
Suddenly, he felt a presence of a being outside, `What the hell,' He quickly went to his window and looked outside where his sense was telling him. But nothing. He shook his head and went over to his bed. “Damn, tomorrow's Monday,” he said as he pulled the covers over himself, “and that means I have to meet that Higura person.” He sighed again. Before long, he fell asleep thinking about the upcoming day ahead.
 
---
 
Meanwhile, Jenrya sat on the sofa in the living room of the apartment, thinking about the past several events. He placed his hand on his chin in thought, “how did those digimon get into the Real World if both firewalls were working perfectly?” He looked up to the ceiling, “And that thing Takato mentioned. I trust him, but something given to him by the Digimon gods?” He then noticed his Digimon, Terriermon, staring out of the window. “Terriermon?” Jenrya watched his Digimon. `He never acted like this before,” Lee thought. “You okay?”
 
The little dog Digimon shook off his stare, “just a weird feeling.” His beady eyes turned to his Tamer, “Mouh Mihn Thai!” He chirped, back to his regular self.
 
---
 
Terry hid leaned against the thickest tree he could as he looked up at the window once again, “This is Terry, both the fox boy and the Tamer are not doing anything. I was almost spotted though…”
 
“That will do fine right now Terry,” the radio talked back, “return home.”
 
The large hybrid put his radio away and looked up at the window again, “strange.” He muttered as he quickly left.
 
~*~
 
Takato dropped a large bag of flour on the kitchen floor of the Matsuda Bakery. He sighed as he walked over to another bag of the white powdery cooking substance. `They're a million of these things,' he squatted down and grabbed a hold of the sack, `and Guilmon is out somewhere goofing around again. He should be helping me with this.' He stood up and stumbled over to the other side of the bakery where he dropped the sack with no remorse. He wiped his brow with his forearm as he walked to the back door of the bakery to take a breather. It was very early in the morning and the sun was not even rising yet.
 
“Another busy day,” he predicted, “Dad never told me how bad it was going to be.” He leaned against the kitchen counter. “And to think all of this commotion with Digimon right now, and that thing…” Takato looked around his kitchen, “why would they tell only me and Ruki that anyway?” he began questioning his own mind, “it's not like we're special or anything.” The window in front of the baker slowly began to reveal sunlight, as the streetlights uniformly shut off. “Better get back to work.” He turned to return to his work, but something caught the corner of his eye. `What the…?'
 
Takato walked over to the back door of the bakery and opened it, searching left and right for the mysterious figure that passed by. “Guilmon?” Takato called out. He shrugged, “Guess it was my imagination…” he mumbled to himself, “working too hard again…” The brown haired adult shut the door and began to work again.
 
A shadowy person walked from behind a dumpster, “he almost noticed me, but I was able to avoid him,” the being spoke into the radio.
 
“Did he say anything?” the radio buzzed.
 
“No, but I did overhear something about some…thing.”
 
“That may be of importance,” the radio responded, “continue to watch him throughout the day.” The radio buzzed out. The being was about to move out, but the radio continued, “and Seira, try not to get caught.” Seira tipped her hat, “okay?”
 
“Yes,” Seira looked around the corner to where the sun lit up half of the alleyway, “this Takato may be more dangerous that we thought.”
 
~*~
 
Karen opened the door of her home and walked outside into her large yard. The sun was just rising and the air was clean and crisp. She loved living in the country after living in the city as a teenager. The air was cleaner and it was so much easier for her to breath.
 
She walked down the small pathway, turned right, and walked up to a patch of brightly colored flowers. She kneeled down to bring herself closer to her flowers and took a whiff of the several floras. “They're so beautiful,” Karen smiled and took another smell, “and they smell so good too.” The brown-haired woman closed her eyes in thought. `Three years ago,' a tear formed from her brown eye, `the same way as mom and dad did.' She opened her eyes, “Another day Jack,” she spoke softly, “and Devidramon is here to protect me. I know you, Mom, and Dad are watching over me as well. Don't worry about me.”
 
Karen brought her hands together for prayer and kneeled in that position for a long moment. Suddenly, Devidramon appeared behind her, “Karen…” his raspy voice spoke.
 
“I know,” Karen lowered her hands and turned her head slightly to the left, “but I don't think he's here to harm me, just to watch.” Devidramon gave a low grumble of concern, “do not worry.” She stood up and looked over to the grand oak tree in her front yard. “It's okay, Devidramon won't attack; you can show yourself.”
 
Nothing.
 
“I know you're there,” Karen spoke simply, “you can't hide in the shadows forever.”
 
“Who said I was hiding?” a voice rang out. Karen held her ground. A red dot began to glow from the shadows on the top of the trees. Before long, the teenager with a half metal face jumped down from the tree, revealing his presence. “What's your name?” Karen asked.
 
“I'm not disclosed to tell you that.” He responded emotionless.
 
Karen squinted slightly, `a digimon hybrid?' she thought as she took one step closer. Devidramon waited patiently behind his tamer, but could not help but feel concerned, “A hybrid?” The enigma of a teenager stood in front of the brown haired tamer stoic. A radio began to buzz.
 
“Come in! Genesis!” He looked to his left side and picked up the radio. “Are you okay? Come in!”
 
“I'm fine.” He replied.
 
“What happened?”
 
“I'm just leaving.” He put away his radio, “I was sent here to watch you. I do not know what they're going to tell me what to do next, but for future reference, do know this. I will not be responsible for what happens to you or your Digimon.” Karen kept her eyes on the mysterious hybrid. He reached into his pocket, making Karen and Devidramon flinch, but to their surprise, he pulled out a cigarette. He lit the cigarette, took a puff, and held it between his index and middle finger. He turned, “Nor do I have any control over what I'll do next.” He then began to walk away into the distance, placing the cigarette back in between his lips.
 
“Karen,” Devidramon spoke, “we should have taken care of him when we had the chance.”
 
“No,” Karen replied, “we'll worry about that later. But I'm more concerned about Keishinko and the others.” With that she turned and walked back to the house, thinking about what had just happened between her and the hybrid.
 
~*~
 
A/N: Just like to point out a few things:
 
Kazano is a character of my creation. He is not part of the Tamers universe in general (such as Higura and others) and is more or less a side character.
The three hybrids were sent out on scouting missions specifically against their “counterparts” (as mentioned earlier in the chapter), but I decided not to write about it specifically. When Genesis and Seira went out to scout on Karen and Takato respectively, that was an extra mission. Sorry if it caused confusion.
 
Stay tuned for the next chapter :P. Thanks again for everyone who reads my stuff. I have fun writing it and without you readers, I would've been just another Digimon Otaku XD.
 
-Dexstrosity the LdOFDestruction