Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hybrid Generations ❯ Speculation ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ugh, sometimes I feel like I'm losing my touch. Don't know about this chapter, but hopefully I can get out of this funk soon. Not saying it's a bad chapter, but…I know I'm capable of better. Anyway, enjoy ^_^.
 
Chapter 14: Speculation
 
Jenrya walked into the office where his younger coworkers were sitting at their stations watching the computer screens as usual. “Anything happen during the night?” The elder asked as he sat in a leather chair.
 
“Nothing to report on the Digital side,” Kaju said, “been quiet ever since that flare up two days ago.”
 
“Same at home,” Blake reported, “no wormholes or stray digimon.”
 
Lee looked around for the last coworker, “hey guys, where's Reiko?” Blake and Kaju looked at the longhaired Tamer and shrugged.
 
“He left early this morning,” Blake said, “said he'll be back before you got in. But apparently, he missed that deadline.” He turned and went back to work. Jenrya sat in his chair thinking about what he had told Reiko earlier, `He was closest to her than anything,' he thought, `and to find out that she's causing all of this commotion is rough.' Kaju interrupted his thoughts.
 
“Sir, Reiko has been acting very strangely after the flare up,” Kaju turned and faced her boss, “I'm sure it isn't my place to ask, but would you know what is bothering him?” Lee sighed, “I'm sorry for asking…”
 
“No, its okay,” Jenrya got up, “it's a bit personal. Just give it time and Reiko will be back to normal. You know, its one of those things that pass.” He walked over to the large screen and stared at the large map of West Shinjuku. “Just imagine someone you think you could have trusted betraying you and your beliefs.”
 
“A backstabbing friend,” Blake suggested, “yeah, that hurts…”
 
Lee sat down in his chair again, “yes, except on a much, much higher degree.”
 
~*~
 
The young Yamaki stood motionless in front of an apartment complex. He removed his sunglasses and his eyes scanned the building, `I can't believe this…' He walked up the stone path, `why you?' he thought saddened as his feet slowly brought him to oak door. He struggled out a depressing sigh and rung the doorbell. Before long, a middle-aged woman opened the door. Reiko smiled, and the woman returned the smile with one of her own, “Reiko,” she said as she extended out and hugged the young Yamaki, “its good to see you again. What brings you here?”
 
“Onodera-san,” Reiko started, “is it okay if I come in?” He was invited in and she immediately began asking about his parents. “How are your parents, Reiko?”
 
“They're fine,” Reiko answered politely, “how is Jade? I haven't talked to her for a couple of weeks now.”
 
“Oh, she doing very well,” Onodera answered, “she's been studying hard at school.” Yamaki smiled. He liked talking to and seeing Jade Onodera, which is about every two months or so. They were best friends since infancy, naturally since Reiko's mother, father, and Onodera were all coworkers and best friends. She was one year younger than he was, but he always liked having her around.
 
“I mean to ask you something Onodera-san.” Reiko changed the subject subtly. She blinked and let him ask, “no doubt you knew about the digimon coming back to this world.” She listened in intently, “and since I'm following my father's work, we had to investigate what was causing the wild ones to appear again.” Onodera sighed and leaned back depressingly. Yamaki noticed the change in emotions and immediately stopped, “Onodera-san?”
 
“So, it is true.” She said. Yamaki looked at her saddened, yet sympathetic. “When your father's team: your father, your mother, and myself, left Hypnos so many years ago, I thought we never had to worry about Digimon or “wild ones” again. But I knew years before that once I joined that organization and the “Juggernaut” program, I knew I would never escape that world.”
 
“I'm sorry Onodera-san,” Yamaki felt bad now. He thought for certain he and Lee were correct, but after hearing her past experiences with his father and mother at the wretched place, he felt even worse that he misjudged the long-time family friend, “I'm so sorry for bothering you about this…”
 
“No,” Onodera wiped a tear away from her eye, “its okay. It was a long time ago. Now, what were you going to ask me about them?” Yamaki hesitated for a moment, “is it regarding these new digimon?”
 
“…Yes.” Yamaki tried to find a different way, but decided to just tell the truth, “Me and Lee-san, my boss, honestly thought you may be the one releasing these new wormholes through Digital Ports since you were the only one who had the knowledge to. I'm so sorry for the accusation…”
 
“Oh no, don't be,” she smiled, “I understand how it is to work for a place searching for Digimon. But I'm sorry; I can't help you on that. I've been home during these events.” Yamaki was relieved to find out she was not the culprit, but was slightly irritated to find that someone else has been setting Digimon free.
 
He got up, “I'm sorry to be leaving so shortly, but I have to get back to work,” Yamaki hugged his parents' long time friend once more before leaving, “and before I forget, tell Jade I said hello.” Before the dirty blond teen left the home, he realized some, `Jade.' Yamaki thought. He quickly turned around to face the elder, “Onodera-san, where is Jade right now?”
 
The aged blond woman looked at Reiko and blinked, “she's at school right now. I think she was with her boyfriend.”
 
`Boyfriend?' Reiko's eyebrow instinctively raised in both curiosity and surprise, “Oh, okay, I'll see if I can visit her. Thank you again Onodera-san.” He waved and this time, he finally left.
 
~*~
 
Kitsune stared at the teacher blankly as the teacher continued with his lecture. Today was the day that Higura person was supposed to meet him after school, and he couldn't think about anything else. The same questions kept flying through his mind. Before his train of thought could grow any longer, Keishinko interrupted him by throwing a piece of paper at him. He shook off his daydreaming and looked over to his long time friend. She had a smirk on her face and that look he always knew, the one that asked a question without even giving a hint. Kitsune unraveled the wad of paper and read it. “What's wrong with you today? I swear your head is in the clouds more than usual.” He looked over to her and shook his head. The lion hybrid responded with a puzzled look.
 
`Something must really be bothering him then,' Keishinko thought as she rested her chin on her palm. `I'll find out what it is.'
 
Later, during lunch Kitsune, Keishinko, and Atsuiko walked out of the same classroom together as usual. “So, are you going to tell us what's wrong Kit?” Keishinko asked leisurely, “or am I going to have to get it out of you like usual.”
 
“Okay, okay,” Kitsune sighed and looked around for anyone else. By that time, the hall was more or less empty. He looked at Keishinko and then Atsuiko, who now looked somewhat concerned; “I got this email from this person named Higura who wants to meet me after school.”
 
“And what's the big deal about that?” Keishinko asked.
 
“He or she knows we're hybrids,” Kitsune said as he adjusted his glasses, “this Higura wants me to bring you two along.”
 
“I don't know about that Kitsune-kun,” Atsuiko was the first to respond, “we may find ourselves in trouble.” Keishinko agreed.
 
“I know,” the teenage Lee said, “but if we don't go, Higura knows who I am and who you are and may even tell the world. If this person got my email address out of nowhere, then who knows what other things Higura knows about me or you two.”
 
“Are you suggesting we go there, even if we don't know who they are?” Atsuiko asked.
 
“Yeah,” Keishinko followed up, “this Higura person might be a rapist or serial killer…”
 
Kitsune sweat dropped. “Have you forgotten who we are or what we can do?” the fox hybrid in disguise stated, “Besides, if things get to wild to handle, just run.” Keishinko and Atsuiko looked at each other and agreed to it, “okay, this is the plan. Higura told us to go in our hybrid forms, so once we're at the park, we'll reveal it.” He looked at his two friends' faces. They had a genuine look of concern and fear, “don't worry you two, it'll be fine. I promise you two that I won't let Higura or whatever he or she has planned hurt either of you.” The two female teenagers blushed slightly.
 
The looks of concern were now gone and replaced with a bit of ease. “We don't need you to protect us,” Keishinko stuttered slightly, with her face still slightly red, “remember I can kick your butt at anytime!” Kitsune smirked as the trio walked outside for the remainder of their lunch break.
 
~*~
 
Jenrya's cell phone began to ring as he sat in front of the main computer at their headquarters. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, “Hello?” He answered.
 
“Dad,” Kitsune was on the line, “me and the others are going to hang around in the park for a bit. Where's mom?”
 
“She's at home,” Jenrya answered, “better tell her first as well or she'll begin to hunt you down like a dog if you're late.”
 
Kitsune laughed, “Okay dad, I will…”
 
“What are you going to do at the park?” the father asked.
 
“Just a little research for a project,” Kitsune told his father, “I have to go, I'll stop by the house and tell mom. Bye dad.” The phone hung up. Lee put the cell back into his pants pocket and glanced at the screen for a moment and there was a quick flash at one point for a second. “What was that?” Jenrya looked at the screen. “Kaju, Blake, did you see that? What was it?”
 
“Looks like it was just a slight power surge,” Blake looked at his screen, “I hate those things, I swear they have the same Digital make-up as a wild one.”
 
“Nothing on the Digital side,” Kaju reported, “yep, it was a power surge that affected a computer apparently.”
 
Lee eased slightly as he looked at the screen. He sat down slowly, `I really hope that was just a mild power surge.'
 
~*~
 
Kitsune met the other two outside of the school, “I told my dad and mom we were all heading to the park for research. I don't think they'll come looking for me. How about you two?”
 
“Already taken care of,” Keishinko shot a thumb up, “mom and dad are working and Mono is out at Uncle Takato's again.”
 
“Mom is at home, Uncle Hiro and Uncle Kenta are out as well,” Atsuiko said.
 
“Alright, we're all in the clear,” Kitsune turned, “now lets go see who this Higura really is.” The three walked to the park still worried about what to expect, but they had to know and they knew there was no avoiding it.
 
“Who is this Higura again?” Keishinko asked, trying to pass the time of travel.
 
“Don't know,” Kitsune shrugged, “but I'm guessing he or she is from some kind of research facility or something. The email address said “Smartech.”
 
“Wait a minute,” Keishinko jumped in front of her two friends, “are you saying that we might become “research subjects” because of Higura?”
 
“No,” Kitsune shook his head, “like I said, nothing will happen. If we are under attack or Higura plans to hurt us, we'll just fight back or run.”
 
“Kitsune-kun,” Atsuiko began, “what if this person is stronger or faster than us?” Kitsune and Keishinko looked at the female hybrid, “seeing how we are the way we are, I wouldn't be surprised if Higura is another hybrid who just wants to hurt us…”
 
“See?” Keishinko pointed out scornfully, “Atsu thought it over as well. We can still turn back.”
 
“Relax,” Kitsune said again, “if you two want, we'll see what Higura wants and we'll leave immediately without saying anything else. Nothing bad will happen, I promise.” The two female hybrids thought the decision over again and reluctantly agreed. The park was in front of them before long, and they stopped again. “You sure…?” Keishinko began, but was cut off by Kitsune.
 
“Let's go.” Kitsune confidently said as they all walked to the small rotunda in the middle. The trees overhead shadowed the rotunda of a single large tree and several benches surrounding it. “From what my mom and dad told me,” Kitsune started, “this is where my parents used to hang around. They told me this that very few people ever passed through here, so no one would ever find out about mom.” He looked up at the large tree, the centerpiece of the park itself.
 
“I finally get to meet you wonderful hybrids,” a female voice spoke from behind the three hybrids. Kitsune was the first to turn around. He saw a woman with long blond hair in a business suit. She had a seemingly warm smile on her face, but Kitsune never eased up. Keishinko and Atsuiko soon turned around and saw that it was only a human woman, but were still concerned about their safety.
 
“I'm assuming you're Higura,” Kitsune asked cautiously, not taking his eyes off the mysterious woman for a second, “what do you want with us?”
 
Higura placed her hands in her pocket and took a step forward, making the three hybrids move back slightly into one of the benches, “don't worry, I won't harm you. I would never intend to harm such innocent children as yourself.”
 
“She's kind of creepy,” Keishinko whispered to Kitsune, who silently agreed. Higura's smile made all of them feel uncomfortable as they heard out the mysterious lady's explanation.
 
“You see, I wanted to bring you out here for a single purpose,” Higura stopped and looked up at the treetops above and the sky peeking through, “to view the beauty of nature…”
 
“That's it?” Keishinko interrupted, “not to sound rude, but you know mysteriously telling teenagers to meet you in dark parts of a park is a bit on the odd or maybe INSANE side, especially for “observing nature.”” The lion-hybrid spoke loud, much to her friend's disdain. Kitsune feared the worse at this point, thinking that Higura may have snapped because of her sudden silence.
 
“Nature,” Higura looked at the three hybrids again, “its beautiful. All three of you are beautiful. Atsuiko McCoy and Keishinko Katou Akiyama, two very pretty young females;” Higura did not move from her spot, and neither did the three hybrids, “and the handsome Kitsune Lee.”
 
“Why did you call us out here,” Kitsune grew slightly impatient as well as a bit scared, “really. I know it's a higher purpose than “nature.””
 
Higura reached deeper into her pocket and pulled out a pocket watch, “ah, I see it is time. I adore all three of you, and your natural beauty. Kitsune, I know you are curious, so I shall cut to the point.” Atsuiko noticed something in the trees and immediately tugged on Kitsune's sleeve.
 
“Kitsune-kun…” Atsuiko started nervously.
 
“Oh hell no…” Keishinko saw something as well within the shadows.
 
“I know,” Kitsune looked around, “damn it, I should have known something was going to happen.”
 
Higura's smile was still as large as they first saw her, “children of Digimon and human,” she said proudly. Three mysterious beings being watched in the shadows finally showed their selves “meet your brothers and sister.”
 
~*~
 
A/N: Um, yeah, sorry for all of the delays on the story >_<. The good news is that since my finals for this quarter are over, I SHOULD (read: probably not, but will willingly and seriously try to attempt to) be able to update something much more frequently now. One thing that kind of bugs me is that if you're reading this story on Media Miner, it's all italicized. I want everyone to know I don't want it to be italicized, but I'm too lazy to find the problem and fix it. Hopefully if I uploaded this chapter, its not, but it may be and I apologize for it. If you read this on Fanfiction.net, it should be fine.
 
Anyway, despite the lack of updates on this side of my Internet world, I do update my Live Journal much more often. So if you do enjoy my work here, you'll probably find something of some interest on my LJ. And if you have one or even if you don't, please drop a line in my comments (and possibly add me as your “friend” :D). Livejournal = “DeXstrosity_X2.” So that's that for the shameless plug XD.
 
One more thing: I have changed my email, so if you wish to drop me a line via email, please use kitsudexstrosity@gmail.com since I check that one more often than my Hotmail account nowadays.
 
Please R&R. Thanks for everyone's support again.
 
-DeXstrosity the LdOFDestruction (aka Evolved Spirit KitsuDeXstrosity)