Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Unity ❯ Lost ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Unity
Whew, it's been a while since I updated this! Sorry, peoples! I've been working on my other fic, so I haven't paid too much attention to this. That, and the original version of this file got deleted when some idiot got hold of my jumpdrive. I HAVE NOT ABANDONED THIS FIC! Anywho,
DISCLAIMER: I do not claim to own Digimon. Toei animation, Saban, Bandai, and all those other wonderful companies own it. However, any human characters (and indeed, a small handful of Digimon characters) you may come across and the plot are of course mine.
 
CHAPTER 8: Lost
 
{DJ's POV}
DJ was not a happy person. There were Devidramon swarming all over the place, and despite Kyubimon, Meramon, and Devimon's best efforts, the swarms were rapidly advancing. Not having Digimon capable of hitting Champion, Naomi and himself were landed with the job of getting people out of the battle zone, a job they were handling fairly well. So, DJ raced through the streets of Kioru City, Betamon following behind, both rushing to make it back to the lobby in time. In the next instant, DJ was made painfully aware of a very large something blasting through the wall in front of him.
When the dust cleared, DJ noted with dismay that the figure was a recently de-digivolved Renamon, who was now unconscious. She was immediately followed by a screaming and frantic Leon, who jumped through the hole left by his Digimon.
“Renamon!” The redhead bent over his partner, and struggled to move the rubble off of her. DJ rushed over to help.
“What the hell happened? Where is everybody?” He grunted, as the two of them lifted the beam obstructing Renamon.
“I dunno,” Leon panted. “There's too many of `em; there's just… bloody hell! There's swarms of those things! Devimon's out already, and Meramon's getting weaker by the second-” he was cut off by sounds of a roar, followed by a resounding crash. “Naomi's running around screaming about viruses, and all in all, I don't think we can hold out much longer…” He struggled to lift Renamon off the pile, and nearly collapsed under the weight. “Help me! I can't lift her by myself!” DJ obliged, leaning her up against the wall. Leon quickly activated a power charge, and Renamon was awake. “You alright?” She nodded weakly.
Then, a scream rang out a few alleys over. Both boys recognized it as Naomi's, and both their faces paled. “Go help her; I'm not going to be much use here!” Leon yelled. DJ nodded, and scooped up Betamon, running as fast as his legs could carry him towards Naomi.
He found her, cornered by a snarling Devidramon, while Palmon stood bravely in front of her in an effort to defend her partner. DJ knew he had mere seconds to act, so he did the first thing that came to mind: he picked up a piece of rubble and chucked at the offending dragon. “Hey, Tinkerbell!” The Devidramon whipped its head around, narrowing eight blood-red eyes at the boy, who attempted to back away. However, the Devidramon flicked its tail, and sent him flying into a wall, and knocking the breath out of him. DJ blessed the fact that he couldn't really break his ribs in the game, but was totally breathless nonetheless. Still, the monster brought its head mere inches from DJ's face, and bared its teeth, sending its putrid breath across his face. DJ was all too aware that the dark dragon could most likely take him in one bite, and most likely wanted to. It was then that DJ realized the awful truth: he was going to die.
{Naomi's POV}
Naomi was utterly relieved when the giant dragon shifted its attention away from her. She collapsed on the spot, sobbing uncontrollably. Then she noticed the reason it was ignoring her; the stupid dragon had focused its wrath on DJ now. Now, she was panicking. Her boyfriend was going to die here if she didn't do something fast, DJ would quite literally be half the man he used to be. She felt the hot tears streaming down her face, and her vision blurred in a haze of fear and anger at herself for being so helpless. Dammit DJ, you can't die! I'll save you if it's the last thing I do! She then realized something; a ball of green light was forming in her hand. When it faded, in her hand was now a card depicting a bright green D3, and Naomi suddenly understood, her panic quickly being replaced by an icy calm, tempered by her own rage. “Alright, let's finish this, Palmon! Digi-Modify! DIGIVOLUTION ACTIVATE!” She slashed the card, and Palmon disappeared into the ball of light.
An instant later, Palmon was gone, replaced by a giant cactus-like Digimon sporting boxing gloves. “Alright, go Togemon!” Naomi cheered. Togemon nodded, and punched the Devidramon through a wall, while DJ fled over to Naomi, where he crushed her in a tight hug. “Don't ever do that to me again,” Naomi scolded. “You could have been killed!”
Meanwhile, Togemon was struggling to keep off the twin Devidramon that had shown up during her fight with the first. “Is there no end to these things?” She screeched as she batted away one of her foes' tails. A third Devidramon crash-landed on top of another building, and rushed into the fray. “Guess not,” she sighed, and then screamed, “NEEDLE SPRAY!” The three dragons were then bombarded by a storm of cactus needles, and the first two crashed to the ground, where they dispersed into data. The third managed to dodge the assault, and succeeded in clubbing her with its tail, sending her crashing to the ground.
Naomi gasped. Togemon was getting beaten up pretty badly, and there was little she could do about it. She'd left all her cards at home in her rush to get out of the house, and now, where was all her tech-knowledge getting her? Absolutely nowhere.
Togemon was thrown to the ground for the third time in her battle with the Devidramon, and this time, she did not get up. The Devidramon, apparently pleased with itself, moved in for the kill. Naomi couldn't take it. She broke down into tears again, cursing herself for her weakness, and sent a silent prayer: God in Heaven, please… Somebody help her! I won't lose Palmon!
At that precise moment, there was a cry of “HALO STRIKE!” and when Naomi looked up, the Devidramon was long gone. In its place was… there was no other word for it: an angel. A silver-haired man, about six feet tall, was floating in the air. The hood of a white cloak was pulled down low, obscuring his eyes, and he was garbed in a white tunic, from the back of which flowed four regal white wings, which faded to a deep blue at the tips. He wielded twin golden rings, completing the image. Standing behind this man on the rooftop was an interesting character indeed: a Hispanic girl of about 17, whose sun-streaked hair was pulled into a ponytail in the back. She gracefully hopped down and scooped up Palmon, carrying her towards Naomi.
“She seems alright,” the girl said quietly. “What about you? You three okay?” She flashed them a warm smile.
Naomi mumbled a shaky `yes', while DJ nodded darkly. Then, of course several minutes too late, Leon and Renamon, and Riley and Candlemon, rushed into the alley from opposite directions. Leon immediately rushed for his sister, while Riley stood dumbfounded, staring at the newcomer and her Digimon. (Mostly the girl, as she was wearing an outfit which, Naomi noted, was oddly similar to Tifa's) About five seconds after them, Cairn strolled in, puffing haughtily on a cigarette, DemiDevimon perched on his shoulder.
“The hell kind of Digimon is that?” he muttered gruffly, leaning against the wall. By now, all eyes were turned on the new girl.
She smiled slightly, and called. “I think that's enough, Tenshimon; you can come down now!” `Tenshimon' glowed with a soft light, and turned into a small, almost teddy-bear-like, Digimon with large ears that matched Tenshimon's wings.
Naomi gasped; it was a Calumon. Wow, another rarity… She struggled to find her voice. “I… thank you for saving Palmon, um…”
“Eden Velasquez,” the girl replied, smiling. “My friends call me Edie,” she held out her hand, which, Naomi and the others noted, had a pure white Digivice strapped to it. “This is Calumon,” she added, scooping her partner off the ground, who waved happily. “And it's no problem, really; I just happened to be in the neighborhood, that's all…” Her face darkened, and then, almost inaudibly, “Still, I never thought that she'd be bold enough to attack Digimon Online…”
“Wait,” Leon interrupted. Edie turned to him. “Who's attacking Digimon Online? Do you mean somebody sent those things to attack the city? I thought it was just a glitch!” The others nodded in agreement, all with varying degrees of concern.
Edie gave a hollow laugh. “`Just a glitch?!' I think not! Those Devidramon weren't sent to attack the city; they were sent after you. Or, more precisely, us. Some major perra of a Digimon doesn't like the fact that humans are interfering with her plans, whatever they are. Calumon and I've been on the run from her for weeks!”
“Sounds like a load of bullshit to me,” Cairn said coldly. “Did you not think to log out? Or is this supposed Digimon preventing you from doing so?”
“Hey, I didn't get here the way you did, okay?!” she shot back. “I can't just `log out!'”
All fell silent at this revelation. Naomi asked quietly, “What do you mean, `the way we did?' Is there another way to get into Digimon Online, other than logging in?”
Edie averted her eyes. “I didn't get Calumon through Digimon Online… How do you think they get the Digimon in here, anyway? It's not spontaneous generation, I can tell you that much right now.”
Leon was the first to get what she was implying. “Do you mean…?”
Edie nodded sadly. “Yeah, I got stuck in the Digital World, and I can't get out, except to come here…”
Cairn made a derisive cough. “I've never heard such a ridiculous lie in my life,” He drew heavily on his cigarette. “If you're looking for handouts with your little sob-story, think again!”
“Why do you doubt it? Do you have any proof it doesn't exist?” Edie shot back.
Cairn merely smirked. “Have you any proof it--”
He was cut off by a loud explosion nearby, which knocked the group off its feet. Edie swore explosively, and yelled something in Spanish. When she received blank looks, she rolled her eyes and yelled instead, “Hurry! This way!” and took off running.
She frantically led Naomi and the others down a side-alley, pulling them into a large warehouse-like building.
This was too much for Cairn. “What the fuck do you think you're--” Edie quickly clamped a hand over his mouth, as a shadow had passed over the windows. She shook her head quickly, and released him, pressing a finger to her lips. After a few seconds, the shadow passed by, and Edie released her breath. Almost to answer her, a recorded voice boomed over the PA system.
“Hello, this is -zzzzztttt- Bandai Corporation. Owing to technical difficulties, the -zzzztttt- system will disallow logging of for -zzztttt- an indefinite amount of -zzzzztttt- time. For -zzzzzttttt- this period, all -zzzzttt- game time is -zzzzzzzzttttt- free. Thank you, -zzztttt- and -zzzztttt- have a -zzzzztttt- nice -zzzttttttttttt-…” The voice trailed off into static.
Edie's face paled. “This is bad,” she whispered. “Come on!” She dashed into a side room, to where everyone else followed.
Leon stepped forward. “Listen, Edie, what's--” She silenced him with a look, and ceremoniously pressed a button on her Digivice.
A small orb appeared in the air, pulsating with a soft white light. “Brace yourselves,” Edie whispered, then cried, “DIGI-PORT, OPEN!”
The last thing that Naomi remembered before passing out was a bright flash of light, and then, nothing.
 
 
Whew, I think that was the longest chapter yet! Well, that was the metaphorical defibrillator for this story! (CLEAR! -BZZZZZTT!-) Just kidding!
Well, what's up with Edie? And who's after the Digi-destined? Find out in the next chapter!
NEXT CHAPTER: In Which Everything You Thought You Knew Goes Straight To Hell
The Digi-Destined learn the truth about Digimon, and our mysterious villain reveals herself!