Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Boatworking Skills or Lack Thereof ❯ And The Daffodil Queen Is.... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ and I never will. I do, however, own Cowboy since he is my fiancé and I won't take any crappy stuff about wanting to borrow him because he's got some sexy bluish-gray eyes. He's mine…ahem…sorry about that.

Author's Note: I know this is taking awhile to hook the two up but don't worry, it'll happen soon, if not in this chapter then it will be in the next one. And, to all you Bulma and Vegeta junkies out there, this is the only B/V romance I'm writing, please get used to that fact. I normally write for my enjoyment and my enjoyment normally excludes these, although I am happy that you guys are reading my story, thank you for the reviews. I forgot to add the fact that almost all Guinea men talk very fast and run all of their words together. And, they call everyone, whether they're a man or a woman, doll or darlin.



Chapter Four: And the daffodil queen is…



Wandering around aimlessly through the old Courthouse district in Gloucester, Bulma smiled at the rustic charm of the place then walked to several vending stalls where locals had come to display their hobbies and merchandise. (And believe me, they make a killing off of tourists, saying everything is antique…sheesh.) Stopping by one stall in particular, she studied the artistically wrought boats that had been built in a miniature form for display then smiled when a man walked up and held out his hand to her. "Did you make these?"

"Yes doll, I built these boats. You interested in getting a boat doll?"

After slowly translating what the man had said, she nodded then pointed to one of the boats on display. "Well…I've never been on one of these types of boats before…what are they?"

"A skiff darlin', crabbers use them to haul their crab pots out into the rivers."

"Why don't they use a bigger boat?"

Smiling, he motioned her over to a board that had pictures of different men out on the water in all types of skiffs. "Haulin' crab pots out of the water isn't easy…y'all come here's wouldn't really understand it if you hadn't been out on the water, working for a living before. A good haul of crabs in a pot weighs about twenty-five pounds and it's easier to pull it over the washboard and into the boat if the washboard is closer to the water."

"So a skiff makes the job easier?"

"They sure do darlin'."

"Oh…well…how long does it take to make one of these boats?"

"Five or six months." Removing his hat, the man ran his fingers through his barely graying hair, then looked away and grinned widely when another person approached the stall. "Cowboy, how you doin' doll? I haven't seen you or Kathi around in awhile."

Shrugging, the younger man glanced at his fiancée's new best friend then grinned at his old friend. "I'm not doing much of nothing Jerry, just hunting and working."

"That's good, so when are you getting married?"

"In August, even though I don't think she's going to wait that long before she starts showing."

"Don't worry about that Bubba…just don't leave her at the alter."

"Not planning on it."

"Ok man, I'll see you later then." Turning back to his original customer, Jerry smiled then ran his fingers over the model boat. "So, you're planning on learning about boats?"

"How did you…"

He tapped his finger to his temple then shook his head with a laugh. "Kathi went through the same thing with Bubba and I figured you would be around here since she told me she had brought up a new friend. Truthfully, she's one of the worst boat builders I've ever met, but she does put her heart into what she's doing."

"And you think I might be better at building a boat?"

"I don't know, you'll just have to tell me what you think when you're finished building your first boat."

"But I…"

"Quiet doll, even I know better than to question what that crazy girl has going on in her mind. Besides…she'll skin me alive if I don't teach her friend how to impress someone."

"I wasn't…"

"Trust me, you'll want to know how to build a boat."

"If you say so."

"Good, now get to the stage, they're announcing the winner for daffodil queen."

Making her way towards the stage, Bulma sighed and chose to stand on the outer edge of the crowd when it became apparent to her that she wasn't going to get any closer than that.

Making his way around the bottom of the stage, Vegeta scanned the crowd for his blue-haired neighbor then stopped and looked up when the candidates for Daffodil Queen came out onto the stage. Nodding and giving a thumbs up to Kathi, he moved next to her fiancé and waited for the results.

Smiling and waving to everyone, Buck Rowe walked out onto the stage then held up his hands and let the winner from last year's Daffodil Festival join him before reading the envelope in his hands. "And this year's Daffodil Queen is…Katherine Hall from down in Guinea!"

Eyes wide with shock, Kathi walked out towards the two waiting for her, then stopped and held her hand against her stomach with a grimace of pain…