Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in the Darkness ❯ Reactions ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lost in the Darkness

Part 14

Reactions

Disclaimer: If I owned, I'd be getting fan mail, not reviews. And my E-mail doesn't count.

Kakarotto walked slowly into English class with a sad look on his face. Turlis had told him that English had been awful that morning and the other Saiya-Jin teen was not looking forward to it. He hoped his class mates would have an open mind about what he was, but the chances of it happening to them all was none.

Hey, Kakarotto!" A dark haired girl, Lisa, gave him a small smile. "How are you? There's an awful rumor going around. Everyone is saying you were an ex-slave. That's not true is it? You're way too smart."

"I was a slave, yes." Kakarotto nodded. "Technically, though, I won't be fully free until I'm twenty-one and then I get my freedom no matter what."

"That's cool…" Lisa trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"Look, I'm no different now that before. Just talk to me like you usually do." He grinned and Lisa laughed.

"Just like you!" She giggled. Kakarotto gave a short nod.

"Yeah, but now he's a slave. That makes him different." Brad glared at the Saiya-Jin teen.

"It makes me no different than I was. You only look at me differently." Kakarotto shook his head. "Humans!" He sighed softly. "Always using stereotypes."

"Hey!" Lisa protested, looking indigent. "Not so!"

"Than why did you say I couldn't be a slave because I was smart?" He pointed out with a grin.

"Fine, point taken, but still! Not all of us do that! Leah doesn't!"

"I don't do what?" Leah, the girl in his history class looked up. "I heard my name."

"I was saying that you don't use stereotypes like a lot of people do." Lisa told her. "So just go back to your book." The other girl shrugged and pulled her book back out. Lisa raised one delicate eyebrow but made no comment at the bookworm.

"Class! Sit down! In your assigned seats, Terry. We do have them!" The teacher walked into the room looking rather hassled. Kakarotto looked up at him before averting his eyes quickly.

"And while I'm on it, Kakarotto why don't you tell your classmates you weren't a slave so they'll pay attention in class." He waved to the front of the room absently.

"I can't do that, sir." Kakrotto looked at his teacher a second time.

"And why not?" The teacher demanded.

"Because then I would be lying, sir." Kakarotto looked calmly at his teacher.

"You know I hate it when you joke about serious things like that." The teacher sighed. "You should be more courteous to those who can't have the opportunities you do."

"I'm not joking. I was a slave until about a month and a half ago." Kakarotto raised an eyebrow. "I've proved it once already."

"If you were a slave, you'd have whip scars. You aren't a slave." The teacher rolled his eyes. "And you're human. You might have bad tastes, like your fuzzy belt, but you are human. Humans are almost never slaves."

Kakarotto stood up, his tail unwrapping of its own accord and standing up behind him. "I like my `belt' thank you very much!" He told the teacher indignantly.

"That's a t-t-tail!" The teacher looked ready to faint.

"I noticed, sensei." Kakarotto replied dryly. "NOW do you believe me?"

The teacher's mouth worked silently for a moment and he finally nodded.

"Sit down, slave!" Brad snapped with a scowl.

"I am no longer a slave!" Kakarotto half-yelled.

"Shut up, boy!" The teacher snapped. "Both of you! Brad, you have a week's detention! Kakarotto! I expected better of you. Sit down."

"Um, Gomen, sensei." Kakarotto gave a sheepish smile and bowed slightly. "I did not mean to cause a disturbance."

"I know, boy. What's Gomen and why on earth do you keep calling me sensei?" The teacher gave a confused sigh.

"Gomen is, um…apologizing? Yeah, that's what you say…and sensei is teacher." Kakarotto explained. "I didn't mean to confuse you."

"That's all right. So, why don't you teach us some basic Saiya-Jin? I'll give you an A on the report you were supposed to do instead. How's that?" The teacher nodded.

"If you have no objections, sir, I would be honored." He touched his fist to his heart just as he had done in history the day the debates had started.

Slowly he walked to the board. "Well, Saiya-Jin is usually structured like english, but not always. There are a few odd exceptions here and there, but they are few and far between…"
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Kakarotto almost skipped universal language, but didn't only because it would prove that he was unmanageable and they might kick him out for some unknown reason. Also, Turlis was there and he would get yelled at by his brother for making him suffer through class alone.

There was no chance to talk to anyone in the class, fortunately because they had to speak in universal and Humans had neglected to learn the language until another human planet had sent a treaty and they had decided the children ought to learn it, unlike Saiya-Jins who had begun the moment they'd discovered it's existence due to an alien crash landing on Vegita-Sei about thirty years ago.

No one in the class knew that, of course, and the teacher spent half her time wondering how the seemed to know it so well. Well, now she knew and she was going to find out how well they truly spoke it!

"Kakarotto, Turlis, how are you?" She gave a sweet smile as she spoke in universal.

"Fine, teacher. Why?" Turlis looked confused for a brief moment.

"I just wondered. You are my star students, after all. You must have been speaking this for a long time to get so good."

"Whatever. Go away, woman! We aren't here to be mocked. And if you want to talk to us, get you head out of your-!" Turlis began.

"Shut up, brother!" Kakarotto hissed. "Dad TOLD you not to insult the teachers. Can you listen for once?"

"No."

"Then sit down! I don't want you to get us in trouble because you had to tell her what you said!" Kakarotto grabbed his arm and sat down. "Now SHUT UP!"

Turlis glared at his brother, but shut his mouth.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Art went easily now that most people knew the rumor was true and his only challenge was trying to explain that he used dark colors so often because he was drawing his childhood like his teacher asked. The teen scowled when the lady mentioned how may bright colors the others had used. It wouldn't have been such a big deal, and he might have changed the pictures, but she'd limited it to over ten and, well, there just weren't too many good experiences since his capture a month after his birthday.

He and Turlis finally gave up on the stubborn woman and told her flatly that if she wanted bright pretty pictures she was going to have to let them paint about experiences they had BEFORE ten. She had told them no, so they'd ignored her nagging the rest of the day in a desperate attempt to get her to leave them alone. It didn't work.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Lunch was no better, and neither was Kakarotto's math class. Turlis told him later that he had been ready to kill his history class, except maybe Michelle, Jason, and Brandon, but that was it! He was tired of being talked down to, as though he were a dog. So was Kakarotto, but unlike his brother, he'd developed part of the virtue known as patience. Band was still split in two groups, the supporting group larger than the other, but there was still unrest in any case.

"Hey, Kakarotto! We still doing lessons after school like you promised?" David grinned at his friend. "I'm really excited! I can't wait to learn more about what you were talking about!"

"Yeah, sure. Turlis'll tell dad I'll be late. No problem." It was Tuesday afternoon in band class. The last period of the day that was like a living hell.

"Cool! I can't wait!" He grinned again and went to sit down in his seat. The conductor rolled his eyes.

"If we can start?" He glared at two boys who were goofing off.

"Of course, sir. We didn't notice you come in." They laughed. Kakarotto rolled his eyes. Slowly, the band settled into a typical pattern.
~~*~~ ~~*~~ ~~*~~ ~~*~~ ~~*~~ ~~*~~

Vegita looked at the blue angel asleep in his arms before letting her go and slowly getting up. They were in her room at her house. In a year when she was eighteen, she would move out. Neither could wait for that time. It was terrifying knowing he would die if they got caught and take her with him, bound in soul and intertwined in destiny.

Bulma sighed and slowly came awake. "I had the weirdest dream that I was seeing all your memories. I didn't want it to end…"

"That wasn't a dream…" Vegita said softly.

"Really? Great! I'm sooo happy! You have no idea!" She grinned, leapt out of bed, grabbed him and began to dance around the room. Vegita groaned.

"Can you NOT do that? I've got to help Radditz today and the boxes are going to be ungodly heavy!"

"Sorry! I'm just so excited! I can't help it!" She giggled out.

Vegita raised an eyerow but didn't say a word. She was out of her mind and that was that.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

(A/N) K, only a couple more chapters until Chichi's in this thing. I'm sorry it's taking so long but I've got to work some stuff out! Gomen! Gomen! And I'm sorry Dr. Breifs is a jerk. He's sooooo OOC I almost hate him… but that was rather the point cuz he's mean in my story, but I don't think I'm gonna mess up the Ox King nearly so bad. Just Chicih's mother. ^_^; Sorry! But it has to be someone! And since we don't know anything about her, she's quite handy!

Please review! I want to his 150 sometime soon. It'd be nice! Flames are welcome, cuz S'mores are good. Thanks!

Ja ne!
~*~ Lady Foeseeker ~*~