Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Hurts More ❯ Mystery Boy ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

LES: For some reason, I have a complete inability to keep my chapters a reasonable length when writing a DBZ fic. Weird.
Chapter IV: Mystery Boy
An hour later, Videl landed on the out-skirts of Satan City. Her father now knew of her flying ability, but it still gave him a heart attack every time he saw it. He still feebly bleated his old line about it being a trick, but Videl knew better than to listen to it.
She pulled out her jet-copter Capsule, depressed the plunger, and tossed it. Her personal jet-copter instantly appeared in a puff of smoke.
With a sigh, she stepped into the cockpit, and took off at a much slower pace.
Ten minutes later, she couldn't help thinking that she could have flown the distance in under a minute. Her jet-copter landed on the specially designed landing pad next to Satan Mansion.
The house, if you can call it a house, was more like a small but extravagant mansion. It was a gift from the people of Earth to the man who had saved them from Cell.
Videl always secretly thought that it was too big and gaudy. The Satan family had money out the wazoo and servants to wait on them hand-and-foot, but Videl always felt lost inside the large home.
Now that she had seen the peaceful life in the country that Gohan and his family led, her big house seemed too much. Her bedroom alone was three times bigger than the Son's living room. And her living room was quite a lot larger than their whole house.
Videl sighed. Her body was on automatic pilot, taking her to her room. But she was way-laid by an unexpected and rather unwelcome voice.
“Videl!”
Videl froze and sighed. She turned to face Mr. Big-Mouth (AKA: Mr. Satan). If Hurcule Satan wasn't one of the most famous people on the planet, he was defiantly the loudest. Mr. Satan always spoke as if he were on camera. Never, since he had won the 24th World Martial Arts Tournament, had he simply acted like the normal man he is. Videl had started to think that the heat from the limelight had fried his brain. If he was a master of anything, it was milking a crowd.
“Where have you been, Videl?!?” Mr. Satan demanded.
“It's not my curfew yet, is it? I thought I had several hours to spare, at least.” Videl said shortly.
Mr. Satan's words caught in his throat. But then he started up again when he thought of a reply… several seconds too late. “You've been gone half the day! Have you been with a boy?!? YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY ABOUT BOYS, VIDEL!”
Videl rolled her eyes. “That I can't date until I can find one who is able to defeat you in a fair fight.” She recited. “Yes, Dad, I know.”
“Well, yeah! I'll be darned if my little Videl is going to be running around with boys!” Mr. Satan ranted.
“Sure, Dad.” Videl slipped away, unnoticed by her demanding father.
She changed course, and made a bee-line for the home theater, which literally was the size of a public theater. She checked the DVD player and found the disk for the 24th World Martial Arts Tournament.
Dad must've been in here earlier reliving the glory days. Watching these old fights with her father was nearly intolerable, as he saw fit to give her his personal blow-by-blow commentary, which was arguably worse than the commentary he did for the DVD.
She removed the DVD, put it in its case, and then walked over to their large video collection to replace it, right between Tournaments 23 and 25.
Her fingers froze over the Tournament 23 case, the one that Goku won, and probably one of the least-watched videos there, right after that God-awful remake of the Cell Games.
Why in the world did he buy that stupid video? Videl wondered. He thought it was just as bad as I did.
Then she passed it over and went straight to the actual Cell Games footage, one of the few copies in existence.
She stuck that in the DVD player. She fast-forwarded through the part with her father's pitiful students and her father. Then she played it.
The camera panned over the strange group of Warriors. She paused on each of their faces to better study them.
There was Vegeta, according to Gohan, the only other full-blooded Saiyan left alive. There was an unknown teenager, one who looked suspiciously like how she thought Trunks would look older. The next ones she recognized as Krillin and Yamcha, regular Tournament finalists and students of the Turtle Hermit. Her eyes nearly bugged out of her head when she recognized the next one.
Most people never looked twice at the strange warriors, but how could they miss the one who called himself `Junior' in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament, the one who turned out to be the evil King Piccolo reincarnated? King Piccolo's rein happened before she was born, but it was legendary. There was no mistaking him.
Beside him she recognized Goku in his Super Saiyan form, and was shocked to see him standing so close to Piccolo Jr. According to the World Martial Arts Tournament commentator, Goku had come very close to being killed by him in the Tournament finals.
And on Goku's other side was a young boy, perhaps eleven or twelve, with golden Super Saiyan hair.
The fight started between Goku and Cell, both of them moving so quickly that the cameraman could not hope to keep up with their movements. All Videl could see was the resulting shockwaves of their clashes.
The fight became more violent and increasingly hard to follow. And that is when Goku stopped and made his famous surrender.
She could hear as Cell and Goku made the agreement that Goku would be the one to choose the next fighters. Cell agreed, and Goku's reply did not get caught on the microphones.
The name, however, caused a lot of controversy with the rest of the Z-Warriors. Piccolo Jr. seemed to take the most offense. He got in Goku's face and yelled. The volume was loud enough that she could hear Piccolo yelling something about sending his own son to his death.
That never struck with Videl before, but it did now. Goku's son! Goku had two sons, the youngest of which wasn't even born until after the Cell Games. And Gohan… Videl gasped. Gohan would have been eleven during the Cell Games! And he is the only person who could possibly be that young boy who fought after Goku!
“Oh my God! Gohan fought in the Cell Games!” Videl gasped out loud.
Goku seemed to be speaking directly to the younger Gohan now. After a few words, and a quick change of expressions from the other Z-Warriors from anger to surprise, Gohan nodded and floated down to face Cell alone.
“Gohan…” Videl whispered to herself. Then she reminded herself: Wait a second! Gohan's alive! He obviously survived his encounter with Cell.
She watched in silence Gohan's fight against Cell. And though she had answered many questions about the footage, it started asking more questions than it answered.
How did Gohan survive? The moment he began to fight Cell he only had three options left: win, die, or surrender. The Gohan that I know would never surrender. His only options were to win or die. And he obviously didn't die. What does that mean?
And then there was the mystery of Goku's death. Gohan had let it slip once that his father died seven years previously, and Goten had mentioned that he died fighting a `very bad bogeyman monster'. The Cell Games fit with both clues. How had Goku died during the Cell Games? He had all ready surrendered!
What had happened after the camera stopped rolling? More and more, her father's story seemed less and less likely.
Had Gohan somehow been the winner of the Cell Games? What happened to Goku? Had something gone wrong and he was caught in the cross-fire? And if Gohan did win the Cell Games, why had he stood back and allowed her father to take the credit?
She had never known anyone who would allow someone else to take credit for their work.
She wanted to know the truth. Her father's version of events no longer matched up with what she now knew about the Z-Warriors. Someone was lying and Goku… he seemed like a great man, but he also seemed too simple to come up with a lie of that caliber. And the footage damned her father.
He had been tossed out of the ring like he was nothing more than an irritation to Cell. Her father said that it was a miss-step, but after rewinding it and watching the moment several times, she concluded that her father's form was perfect, that he had not tripped, but had been smacked out of the ring.
I want to know the truth about the Cell Games. Videl thought to herself. Gohan will tell me the truth, won't he? “Well, tomorrow's a school day. I'll catch him there.”
Videl, satisfied with her plan to corner Gohan at school the next day, decided it was time to go knock around some of her father's students to prove that (while she wasn't at home as often these days) she still hadn't lost any of her touch.
LES: I'm working under the assumption that this is the first time Videl's seen the Cell Game footage for at least as long as she's known Gohan, and probably for a lot longer than that. This is her first time watching it in a long time, so things are starting to add up in ways they weren't before.