Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Unlikely Bond ❯ Discoveries ( Chapter 67 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ or any of the characters! If I did, the anime would never end and GT would have never happened!

Story notes: This takes place ten years after the Buu saga. The only differences I can think of is that the whole thing with the world tournament in the last episode never happened and Goku didn't leave to train Uub. I wouldn't count on anything from the movies being part of this story's time line either, 'cause I haven't seen them all and they usually don't fit into the show's time line anyway. Especially that Broly crap. Vegeta cried through, like, that whole movie! That certainly didn't happen in this story....but, that's a different rant altogether. Hope you enjoy!

PLEASE heed warning in story description!! If you missed it, this story is not for children! It is also not for people who do not like stories that contain elements of violence, strong language, adult situations, references to sex and sexual activity between men and women, and men and other men. Oh, and fictional alien men having babies...'cause that's a'happen' here folks...

To my wonderful, wonderful beta-reader, Rowina: Thank you, thank you....thank you... ^-^


Unlikely Bond

Chapter 67
Discoveries


Vegeta held his head in his hands as though pain were making it impossible to hold upright. He pressed his fingers into his temples, slowly massaging away the tension as he spoke.

“Mother... we have been over this --”

“Then why haven’t you wised up!” the former Queen of Saiyans crossed her arms over her chest, staring at her son. Her eyes flashed with fury. “I did not give this planet over to you to watch the Saiyans become slaves!”

The king looked up at her, rising from his chair. While the female warrior was nearly a foot shorter than her son, her demeanor and attitude made her presence larger than her physical size. She returned the king’s stare unwaveringly.

“I am thinking of strategy, Mother,” King Vegeta informed her. “We are no match for Frieza’s army. We have to think, or we could all be dead tomorrow.”

“Better dead with honor than alive in shame!” she seethed.

“Beloved.” The former queen turned at being addressed by one of the three male Saiyans who stood just behind her. “You could at least listen to what he has in mind. Our son has the same warrior’s heart that we all do, but he is trying to make sure the Saiyans not only live, but thrive.”

The former queen gave an indignant toss of her head.

“Looks more like baring our throats to that lizard,” she snapped.

“We are not giving up!” Vegeta insisted. “We are biding our time!”

“I believed that when you let him sit on your throne!” his mother exclaimed. “I believed it when you sent our warriors to fight his battles! But I cannot accept it when you are sending your own --”

“Damnit, I know!” the king thundered, quieting the shorter Saiyan with his words. “I know what I am about to do! But if you would only listen, you would see I have no choice!”

One of the other three men with the queen cleared his throat, commanding their attention. He gave a nod of his head, directing all eyes to the door.

The queen’s expression softened into a smirk.

“Well, well... what have we here?”

The king sighed, drawing a hand down across his beard.

“Vegeta...”

The young prince pushed open the door and took a tentative step inside. His grandmother knelt, opening her arms to him.

“And what are you doing lurking at the door?” she asked the child.

“Reconnaissance,” he stated, allowing her to lift him into her arms. Vegeta studied his father, whose handsome face looked haggard and tired with trouble.

“Papa --”

“Take him out of here!” the king snapped, turning his back on them.

“Why do you care that he listens?” the female warrior asked in a bitter tone. “He’ll know soon enough.”

Vegeta furrowed his smooth brow in confusion as he looked from his father to his grandmother, to his grandfathers. Everyone was wearing the same expression of uncomfortable tension.

“Where the hell is his attendant?” the king grumbled, moving past the group to bark a command into the hall.

“Vegeta,” the queen spoke softly to her son, “it does not have to be this way.”

“As much as it pains me, Mother,” he replied with regret, “right now there is no other option.”

The young prince could no longer stand to be talked over.

“What is it?!” he demanded. “I’m no baby! I will fight!”

King Vegeta’s features darkened with supreme sadness before his expression returned to stoic neutrality. He reached out and picked Vegeta up under the arms and set him on the floor.

“Yes, you are a man,” he told the child. The chamber door opened and Vegeta’s attendant entered, bowing before the royal family. “Take the prince to the training field,” the king ordered. “I will be there shortly... and inform the physicians.” The young Saiyan gave a small bow of acknowledgment before laying a hand on the back of the child prince’s head and gently urging him from the room.

Once in the hall the guards closed the door, but it didn’t block the eruption of voices shouting within.

Prince Vegeta looked up at his young attendant as they walked from the throne room.

“Something bad is happening,” he began darkly, “... isn’t it, Nappa?”

“You are very smart, sire,” Nappa replied, distractedly running a hand through his thick crop of dark hair. “And very strong. Remember that always, my prince.” The tall Saiyan’s voice seemed to grow heavy with dread as the training field came into sight. “Remember that, above all else. Your strength is the heart of the Saiyan people...”


***


Slowly, the room began to come into focus. The early rising sun lit the room with a soft light, and the warm summer breeze rustled the curtains on the open balcony doors.

Vegeta blinked, his eyes blurrier than he was accustomed to in the morning. Whatever he had been dreaming disappeared like a mist cut down by the rays of the sun. Not even a lingering feeling remained of what his mind could have shone him in the night. He couldn’t care less, of course. When the brain was not plagued with nightmares, ‘dreams’ were just it's idle flights of fancy...

He raised a hand to his eyes and drew his fingers through the moisture on his cheek.

Was he crying?

The prince pulled himself from the bed, stretching out his sleep weary muscles as he walked into the bathroom. He began creating a mental checklist of his day, plotting out what he needed to accomplish. He seemed to have so little time to himself, anymore.

“Good morning,” Bulma greeted groggily as she combed her fingers through her disheveled hair. She slipped her arm around his waist and laid her head on his back.

“This isn’t out currently out for recreation, woman. A little privacy, please,”Vegeta stated dryly.

Bulma chuckled.

“It will be when I join you in the shower,” she informed him with a kiss to the back of his neck. Vegeta gave an appreciative growl, deep in his throat. Bulma continued to giggle, slipping out of her nightgown and draping it over his shoulder before she stepped into the tub.

This morning marked their fourth week together as a combined household. There had been far less happening at Capsule Corp in the last four weeks than anyone would have expected, in terms of tension or complications. Friends came and went as if their situation was not unusual, and the four oldest members of the household were relatively subdued, as if biding their time. The group had even actually settled into a nice routine, having their morning and evening meals together as a family, and spending several evenings together interacting with the twins.

When Vegeta and Bulmaleft their room to join everyone for breakfast in the dining room, they could hear both infants clearly displeased with something. Bulma grinned at her husband.

“I think today is a special day,” she said.

Vegeta followed her to the dining room, where Goku was placing Ninji in his high chair. The dark-haired baby was pouting and whining, but didn’t resist. Vejita, on the other hand, was inconsolable. He slapped his palms on the chair’s tray, crying and repeating “Mm Mm” over and over, desperately.

Goku have a haggard grin to his friends.

“Good morning,” he greeted. Vegeta frowned as he looked upon his children.

“Have you fed them?” he asked.

“Not yet,” Goku sighed, but smiled. “Today, they are getting cereal! I’ve been looking forward to being able to feed them real food. I couldn’t imagine living on a liquid diet.”

“If you can call grain cereal ‘real food’,” Vegeta said sourly. Goku continued.

“I thought I would be excited when they were big enough to eat solids and finally got teeth,” he frowned. “I wasn’t.”

Bulma laughed, understanding. Vegeta continued to frown. Vejita screamed loudly, never taking his eyes off his mother.

“Good morning,” Chi Chi spoke as she came into the dining room from the kitchen. She carried a large platter of steak and eggs and placed it on the table. Vegeta and Bulma returned the greeting as they settled in their chairs.

“I wish you’d let the bots do that at least once,” Bulma told her with a grin. “They’re getting lazy.”

Chi Chi smiled, returning to the kitchen to retrieve a plate of toast and a serving bowl of rice.

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” she replied. “You invited us here for the family. This is the least I can do.” She clasped her hands together as she looked at her husband. “For our family.” Goku smiled.

“Man! I’m starving!” Goten announced, joining the group.

“Goten,” Chi Chi admonished lightly, but her expression was still genial. “You say that every morning.”

“I mean it every morning,” the teen laughed. Trunks and Bulla were next into the room, and took their places at the table on either side of the Saiyan teen. Daikkon was last to join them. He voiced his salutation quietly, but still earned wary looks from both Vegeta and Chi Chi.

The twins continued to cry as Goku went into the kitchen to prepare their cereal. Vejita screamed outright, while Ninji just sniffed and moaned -- it got him more sympathy.

“Awww,” Bulla breathed, moving to stand by the dark-haired infant and patting his back. “It’s okay. Uncle Goku is getting you food.” She looked to her mother. “Can they at least have toast?”

“Nope. Baby’s digestive systems are more delicate,” Bulma explained. Vegeta smirked.

“Here we go!” Goku exclaimed, returning to the room with two bowls of barley cereal. Bulla grimaced.

“That looks like oatmeal,” she stated in distaste.

“It’s kinda like that,” Goku replied. All eyes were on Goku and the twins as the Saiyan took a spoonful of the cereal. Ninji was also watching now, quietly.

“I need to get my camera!” Bulma whispered, jumping up from her seat and rushing from the room. She returned in time to see Goku offer the first spoonful of the watery, white porridge to his son.

The blonde Saiyan accepted the spoonful, but his mouth went still and his eyes wide when he noticed the foreign taste and texture. Slowly, his tongue began to move and his little mouth began to work.

“You like that?” Goku laughed as his son looked curiously at the bowl in his hands as he finished chewing.

“I don’t see how he can,” Vegeta commented, starting in on his own meal.

Ninji was less receptive to the new food, but after a bit of coaxing, he took his first bite. He chewed slowly, resigned to the fact that he seemed expected to eat it. The reaction earned more ‘awww’s from the younger members of the household.

Vejita began to slap his hands on the tray again, alternating that with stretching his arms toward Goku. Goku took another spoon of cereal and offered it to his son. The blonde devoured it quickly this time, and was already insisting on more before Goku could get a spoonful for Ninji.

“Here,” Vegeta said gruffly, rising from his chair. He crossed to the babies and picked up Vejita’s highchair, setting it next to his own seat. Goku smiled as he watched the prince forego eating his own meal in favor of feeding his son.

Just as with their temperaments, the twins’ eating styles were completely opposite. Vejita opened his mouth for the next bite quicker than his father could produce one, while Ninji woefully accepted the cereal while giving pleading gazes for some sign of reprieve.

Vejita screamed when the prince set the empty bowl on the table, and began grunting and gesturing toward the dish.

“You’re done,” Vegeta informed him, starting back in on his own breakfast. Vejita turned to his mother. When he saw his twin still being fed, he shrieked. “Damnit!” Vegeta swore, turning the chair so the child couldn’t see his brother. It didn’t keep the energetic blonde from twisting in his seat.

“That was an awfully small amount of food for a Saiyan,” Bulla informed them.

“I doubled what it called for,” Goku replied with a frown. “Should I make more?”

Vegeta stared at his youngest child a moment. He couldn’t imagine a Saiyan being satisfied with a cup of mush. Not even if you made it two cups. The prince cut a piece from his steak, but bit off an even smaller portion that he offered to his child. Before Vejita had a chance to accept, nearly everyone at the table was reacting with disapproval.

“You cannot feed an infant meat!” Bulma exclaimed. Vegeta pulled his hand back from the child and turned to his wife.

“Why not?” Bulma balked at the question.

“Because he’s a baby! His digestive system is not ready for that!”

“I used to feed it to Trunks when you made me watch him,” Vegeta reasoned. “His stomach seems fine.” Bulma’s mouth fell open in shock.

“You fed my baby MEAT?” she gasped. The prince shrugged.

“He’s a Saiyan. Saiyans need meat. We’re not herbivores.”

“True,” Chi Chi spoke. “But he may not be ready for something like a steak.” Vegeta shrugged again, looking at the piece of food between his fingers.

“It’s breakfast chop steak. It’s practically prechewed.” Both women frowned at the idea. “Kakkarot,” Vegeta appealed to the younger Saiyan, “you are their mother. Do you think it will be the child’s undoing to have one tiny piece of meat?”

Vejita had been entranced by the fragrant offering in his father’s hand. He wasn’t sure if it was food, but he wanted to try it.

“ME!” he shouted, leaning forward in his seat and opening his mouth wide. His eyes darted from the steak to Vegeta as he waited for a response. “ME!” he insisted again before opening his mouth once more.

Goku laughed at the child’s behavior.

“It looks like he thinks he can handle it.”

The rest of the group watched to see what Vegeta’s next move would be. Vegeta grimaced at Bulma’s concerned expression, so he bit off an even smaller piece off the steak before holding it out to his son. Vejita grabbed hold of his father’s hand, as if afraid the prince would pull the food away. The baby accepted the piece of meat, his eyes growing wide as his mouth worked on the morsel. The room became quiet as they watched him. Vegeta was poised, waiting to leap into action if his son began to choke.

Vejita’s eyes remained wide as he chewed the tiny piece of steak, before finally delivering his verdict.

“Mmmm!” He opened his mouth again, straining toward in his chair toward his father. “ME!!”

Laughter erupted from everyone, save Vegeta, who only smirked.

“Don’t give him a lot, Vegeta,” Bulma warned.

“He’ll be fine,” Vegeta insisted, unhooking the tray from the highchair and unbuckling the child before lifting him up to set him on his lap. Vegeta continued to eat his meal, feeding the blonde baby bits of steak and egg in between taking bites for himself.

Chi Chi marveled at the sight. Not onlythe prince’s daring at feeding his infant son such food, but also the sheer domesticity of his behavior. She really had underestimated him.

Halfway through his bowl of barley cereal, Ninji gave a pathetic sob. Goku sighed, setting the bowl aside.

“I guess they’re not developing at the same rate,” he said worriedly.

“I’m sure it’s not a question of development,” Daikkon reassured him, “so much as emotional readiness. Prince Ninji may not be ready for such an independent step.”

Vegeta rolled his eyes.

“Hm.” Goku furrowed his brow as he looked upon his sad-eyed son. Following Vegeta’s example, he took the baby from the chair and held him securely in his lap. Ninji received the food with the same dread as he did in the chair.

“I guess he’s not ready,” Trunks commented.

“Or maybe he just doesn’t like the way it tastes,” Goten said, wrinkling his nose at the bowl of watery looking porridge.

“It’s just barley cereal,” Goku sighed. “For babies.”

Human babies,” Vegeta pointed out. Goku shrugged, offering the finicky child a piece of steak. Ninji flatly refused, turning his whole body away, embracing Goku and burying his face in his mother’s shirt. Goku chuckled, pulling the baby into his arms and standing.

“I’ll be back,” he stated.

Everyone else continued to eat until breakfast was completed, then leaving one by one to attend to their own matters of the day.

“I suppose I should show up at the lab sometime today,” Bulma laughed, when Daikkon and the younger Saiyans had gone. “It’s always good to at least put in an appearance.” She stood, patting Vejita on the head. She couldn’t help but smile at the child who was now sleeping against his father. “See you later.”

Chi Chi began to clear the table once the other woman left the room. Vegeta checked the area around the dining room to make sure they were alone before speaking to her.

“It should not be long now.”

Chi Chi felt a small tug of dread at his words. She knew what he meant, and she had been waiting for this day as well... but now that it seemed so close...

“Children do not ween overnight,” she commented as casually as she could. Vegeta shrugged, cradling Vejita in his arm and handing Chi Chi his plate as she reached for it.

“This one learned to sleep alone rather quickly,” he stated, oblivious to Goku’s discovery of the ‘aroma therapy’ blankie. “And that seemed an almost impossible feat.”

“True...” Chi Chi replied quietly.

Vegeta watched Kakkarot’s mate as she cleared the table, scraping the plates and stacking them in the sink. She was correct. Maybe they wouldn’t be weaned so easily, but it was best to return to their original living arrangements as soon as possible.

Maybe it would hurt less that way...

“We should discuss this,” Vegeta continued in a low tone, standing with his son and returning the highchairs to their normal position by the wall. “With Kakkarot and the woman.” Chi Chi took a deep breath before turning to face the prince. He stood there in the dining room, holding his child. Chi Chi couldn’t meet his eyes. “I am not a man who can sit for very long without speaking my mind,” he told her. “And you’ve never struck me as that type of woman.” Chi Chi lifted her eyes, forcing herself to look at him.

“I’m not.”

“Then there is no reason to continuethis charade any longer,” the prince said darkly, turning from the room. “Maybe it will do us all some good to get out of this house for a night,” he added tightly. “I’ll arrange it.”

Chi Chi stood stunned as he left. She had seen so many subtle differences in Vegeta’s behavior over these past four weeks, but anger was one thing she had been surprised to see little of. But now... he was angry.

Was he upset with her hesitation? Was he irritated because he believed she was having second thoughts about what they had agreed on?

Chi Chi rubbed her forehead, feeling the beginning of a headache forming.

She supposed she couldn’t blame his anger... because second thoughts were exactly what she was having...


~~~~~~~~~~


Goku sat in his rocking chair, trying to ignore the rumbling of his own stomach as he attended to his child’s hunger.

“You’re really gonna like food, Ninji,” he said to the child, who stared up at him through half closed eyes. “It’s really, really great.” The baby’s brow furrowed as if he were contemplating what Goku just said. “You’ll see,” Goku laughed, laying the child over his shoulder and patting his back. “It’s one of my favorite things!”

Vegeta appeared in the room suddenly, crossed the room without a word and laid Vejita in the crib.

“Hey,” Goku spoke as the older Saiyan began to leave. “Where are you off to in such a hurry?”

“To train,” Vegeta replied shortly, not turning to face the other Siayan.

“Can I join you?” Goku asked. Before he could speak further, the prince answered.

“Find the boys and train with them. I wish to be alone.” It was almost as if Vegeta could feel the sad expression on Kakkarot’s face, and he paused in the doorway. “You haven’t even eaten properly yet this morning,” he said, still not looking back. “We can spar at a later time.”

“Okay,” Goku agreed, adding quickly before Vegeta could leave, “You alright?”

‘Good question,’ Vegeta thought bitterly. ‘I’m not sure if I know the answer.’

“Don’t concern yourself with me, Kakkarot,” he replied. “I just... need time by myself.”

Goku nodded, watching the prince leave. He stood and crossed to the crib, looking down at the blonde, who blinked his tired eyes.

“Did you spit up on him again?” Goku asked. He frowned as the infant began to squirm and cry. “... Or was he just skipping out on diaper duty?”


~~~~~~~~~~


It was late afternoon when Trunks emerged from the medical building of his university. He squinted his blue eyes as he scanned the bustling lot in front of the campus. Goten had sent him a message just moments before his last class ended, offering to pick him up so they could spend some time together. Just seeing the illuminated text on the small screen of his phone put a smile on his face. He was beginning to think life couldn’t feel any more wonderful than it did right now.

When the four-door air sedan pulled up in front of him, Trunks tossed his backpack into the back of Goten’s car before sliding into the passenger’s seat.

“You didn’t have to pick me up,” he commented as he fastened his seat belt.

“No prob,” Goten said with a grin. “I was in the neighborhood, and it ain’t too much trouble to pick up my man.” Goten laughed heartily at the way Trunks rolled his eyes and smiled. “Seriously, I was in the neighborhood.”

Trunks watched his friend a moment before asking:

“And you have something on your mind?”

Goten continued to grin. Trunks knew him too well.

“Yeah,” he admitted. “I want to run something past you, actually.”

Trunks raised an eyebrow.

“I’m listening.”

“Well...” Goten took a deep breath and gave a subtle shrug. “I’ve been thinking about some stuff and... I hope it doesn’t upset your mom...”

Trunks felt his throat contract a second, wondering if Goten was about to suggest bringing a fourth in on their secret -- or more. He sat up a little straighter.

“But,” the younger teen continued, “I want to sell the ZM70.”

Trunks released the breath he was holding.

“Why?”

Goten shrugged again.

“I’ve got a great car that my mom and dad bought me, and right now their money is gonna pay for my first semester of school. And I love Capsule Corp, but I need to get creative about paying for my education if I want to get more than a two-year degree in the next four years!” He could feel Trunks looking at him, but he kept his eyes on his flight path. “And your mom did say that I could do whatever I wanted with it... It is an awesomely sexy car, but... I don’t need to impress anyone. And there’s a guy that will pay me enough to keep me in tuition and books for at least four years...” Goten glanced at his friend, who was smiling broadly. “Well?”

Trunks shook his head, laughing lightly.

“I’m proud of you!” he replied. “What else can I say? That’s a very mature decision you’ve made.”

Goten grinned, but felt a little self-conscious from the praise.

“Well... ya know...”

“So how long have you been considering this?” Trunks asked him.

“Oh... since the day that I got it,” Goten replied. “It’s a totally wicked-sweet prize for a baby shower game, ya know... but... nothing can beat this girl right here.” He gave the dashboard an affectionate pat. “Now the only thing I gotta do is narrow down a major so I don’t waste time on classes that I don’t need.”

“Well, get the basic classes out of the way first,” Trunks advised. “That will give you some time to decide. And school doesn’t start for you for another couple weeks.”

Goten sighed.

“Too bad I just can’t test out of school.” Trunk gave an amused grunt.

“I didn’t test out of school. I just... tested out of a few classes.”

“Dude, you tested out of most of pre-med and tons of those robotics engineering classes.” The older teen just shrugged, unable to deny the claim.

“Well, that is beside the point,” he said instead. “The point is: You are quite responsible, and I for one couldn’t be happier for you.”

Goten grinned, rather happy with himself now as well.

“It’s no big deal.”

Trunks reached over and ran his hand affectionately over Goten’s hair. Goten glanced over at him, smiling, before taking Trunks’ hand. Keeping his eyes on the skyway, Goten brought Trunks’ hand to his lips, placing a kiss on the other boy’s palm...

Before placing it between his legs.

Trunks pulled his hand back and punched the other Saiyan in the arm.

“Ow!” Goten exclaimed, choking on a laugh. “Be careful!”

You be careful,” Trunks countered, chuckling.

“Oh, I am...” Goten's smile faded, and he suddenly became serious. His mind began to turn with ideas, causing his palms to become slightly damp. He tightened his grip on the wheel as he continued speaking. “Hey...”

“Yeah?” Trunks encouraged, losing his air of levity.

“You, uh...” Goten gave a nervous sort of laugh. “You wanna go hang out at my place... for a while?”

Trunks felt the temperature in the car rise a few degrees. Even though their relationship had grown more stable and comfortable, they had never done more than kiss or make out. Being alone in a house that was not expecting anyone else might be inviting trouble.

Trunks cleared his throat.

“Yeah,” he agreed.

It was the last word spoken between the two until Goten set the car down outside the Sons’ small capsule house in the mountains.

“It looks smaller than I remember,” Goten commented as they walked inside. The house was quiet and felt incredibly empty, even with most of the furnishings still inside.

Goten turned to the older boy.

“Well...” he grinned, “no use pretending.” Trunks returned the smile and without another word they were in each other’s arms, kissing deeply. Trunks wrapped his arms around Goten, feeling every last bit of tension from his day slipping away and following where the younger boy led. Goten ran one of his hands over Trunks’ hip, using the other hand to navigate the wall as they moved through the kitchen to his old bedroom.

“Lay down with me,” Goten whispered, dragging his hands up the older Saiyan’s torso and pulling his shirt up.

Trunks raised an eyebrow as he looked at the twin bed by the wall.

“I think it will be a tight fit.”

Goten pulled the other boy by the belt loops as he backed them toward the bed, and gave a leering smirk.

Just the way I like it.”

Trunks chuckled, submitting as Goten lay down, pulling him down with him. Even though they had spent as much time together as usual,they hadn’t been able to spent as much time alone as they would have liked. And to be so close to each other on a daily basis, but keep themselves from being overly affectionate, was harder than they thought. Still, neither had ever felt as happy as during this last month. The two took a moment to situate themselves as comfortably as possible in the small space, lying on their sides and facing each other.

Goten turned his face down against Trunks’ throat, kissing along his neck and shoulder as his hands roamed under the other boy’s shirt. He had quickly grown fond of the sensation of the other’s body against his, the feeling of hard, chiseled muscle under smooth skin.

Trunks held Goten tightly against him, but noticed the other boy’s decrease in ardor. He ran his hand over the younger Saiyan’s hair and down across his back.

“What is it?” Trunks murmured, pressing his lips to the top of Goten’s head. Goten gave a soft chuckle.

“You know me so well,” he sighed, raising his head but keeping his eyes focused on the buttons of Trunks’ shirt as he undid them one by one. “...I had every intention of bringing you back here and fooling around... and... and maybe going farther than we have...”

“I understood that,” Trunks replied honestly. “Are you ashamed of that? Or are you --” His chest tightened with dread as he voiced the word. “--disgusted?”

Goten smirked.

“You’re not much of a genius if you can’t answer that question when you're up against this massive hard-on I’m sportin’. It’s just...” He took a deep breath and shook his head. “Never mind. Let’s just fuck around.”

Trunks laughed as Goten practically attacked him, licking and sucking his way down the older boy’s chest as he unbuttoned the rest of his shirt.

“Goten... Goten,” Trunks spoke, trying to gain his attention. “Whoa! I -- uh -- umm....” His eyes rolled back and his abs contracted as Goten’s tongue drew a hot path around his navel. “Oh.”

Goten stopped, dropping his head against Trunks’ stomach.

“I can’t...” he groaned, discouraged.

Trunks let out a heavy sigh.

“Because it disgusts you...” he said regretfully. Goten pulled himself up his friend’s body to look down into his face.

No. I am not disgusted or ashamed to admit that you make me hotter than a summer bonfire on the sun. I’m just... gah.” He ran a hand through his hair, frustrated as he sat up on the side of the bed. “If I’m disgusted by anything, it’s my idiot-ness.”

Trunks sat up as well, laying a supportive hand on the younger Saiyan’s back. He thought now was not the appropriate time to mention that 'idiot-ness' was not a word.

“Don’t be.... I’ve nervous, too, but I trust you. And I... I’m ready for whatever the next step is...” he admitted shyly. Goten turned to him and smirked.

“By the gods, you are cute,” he stated. Trunks grimaced.

“What?” he asked defensively.

Goten turned, pulling his knee up onto the bed so he could face Trunks. He took the older teen’s hands in his and stared into his eyes. Trunks could see the determination on the other boy’s face as he began to speak, his voice low and steady.

“I promised myself two things,” Goten told him. “One: when I finally told you how I really feel about all this, how I feel about you, I wouldn’t do it with my pants around my knees.” Trunks felt his heart quicken. “And two: I promised myself that I wouldn’t say it just because you did, that I would tell you when it felt right to me.” Trunks nodded, but did not speak. Goten continued before he lost his nerve. “You see, the thing is... I’ve been with a lot of people, but I didn’t know that relationships were supposed to be this... good... not until now... until this...And I don’t just mean physical stuff...” A slight blush rose to color his face, a rare sight for the outspoken teen. “But waking up next to you has new meaning for me now, and I like that. I like that it hasn’t changed us. It's like us ... but better.” Goten cleared his throat, feeling as if he were rambling now to keep the room from total silence. “What I mean is...” His voice lost a bit of its confidence as he finished quietly. “I’m in love with you.”

Trunks was speechless, but Goten continued quickly, rising from the bed to pace the floor.

“I know you think I’m crazy! It’s only been a few weeks, and here I am dropping the L-bomb on you! But, dude, how can I not! And now I’m beginning to wonder if maybe I didn’t just love you all the time, and have only just realized...You’ve always been the most important person in my life, and that I couldn’t feel any different for you ever, I...” He stopped pacing a moment to bring his hand to his chest, placing it over his heart. “I’ve found something new in here...” The young teen turned to his friend and found him smiling. Trunks got to his feet, crossing to his friend and placing his hands on the other boy’s face. Finally, he had found his voice.

“Are you... crying?” he asked, touched and amused at the same time. Poor lovable Goten, no matter how hard he tried to play his bad boy image, he was still the same sensitive, caring kid he’d always been.

“No,” he stated firmly, taking a deep breath. His eyes were a bit moist, but he was not crying. Trunks shook his head, leaning close to press his lips against Goten’s.

“I love you, too,” he murmured. “Even though I, too, never thought I could any more than I already did...”

Goten gave a sigh of relief, slipping his arms around Trunks and holding him tightly. Trunks closed his eyes, relaxing into the embrace. The two were quiet for several moments, content with just holding each other.

“You think the rest of our family will be as understanding as Dad?” Trunks asked.

“I don’t know,” the younger Saiyan answered quietly. “I don’t want to upset anyone... but I can’t change how I feel about you now that I know... I won’t.”

“We’ll get through it,” Trunks said, trying to reassure him. “Together.”

“I know,” Goten sighed. He leaned his head back to look into the other teen’s eyes, his mischievous grin returning. Trunks gave a laugh.

“That smile has something to do with your pants being around your knees, doesn’t it?” he asked. Goten chuckled.

“Maybe it has something to do with your pants being around your knees?”

Trunks shook his head, before leaning his forehead against Goten’s.

“All in good time, Goten,” he whispered, causing the younger teen to sober slightly. “We have all the time in the world. We live together.” Goten nodded, but looked rather torn at the idea of putting it off. “C’mon,” Trunks spoke, keeping an arm around his friend as he ushered him from the room, “let’s go get something to eat. Then we can be back home before our parents wonder what became of us.”

“They could find me in a snap if they tuned the dragon radar to find ‘blue’ balls,” Goten said with a snort. Trunks felt as though he were about to have a spontaneous nosebleed.

“I’m going to pretend you did not say that,” he told his friend as they walked outside to the car, a hand over his stomach. Goten didn’t reply in words, but his laughter lasted the entire ride home.


~~~~~~~~~~


Chi Chi had Vegeta on her mind most of the day, especially during his obvious absences at lunch and dinner. She had, as casually as possible, asked Bulma for his whereabouts, to which the older woman merely replied:

“Oh, every now and then Vegeta needs to spend an entire day exhausting himself. He’ll be back before dawn.”

If his own wife wasn’t worried, why should she be?

But she was.

How that man wormed his way into her sympathy was beyond her, but she couldn’t bear the thought of separating those children from their father now. And, strangely enough, she didn’t want to be the one to separate their parents, either. She, as much as anyone, knew that children shouldn’t be cheated out of having both their parents as they grow.

“Look, hon! Canyabelieveit??” Goku’s question pulled her from her thoughts as she sat on the side of the bed, absently brushing her hair. Goku was holding up a baby sleeper that was embroidered with little green frogs, one of which was wearing a tiny golden crown. “It’s for six to nine month olds. Ninji fits this size perfectly. Veji’s got a tad more growing to do.” He grimaced then, but still appeared amused. “He really is taking after Vegeta.... don’t tell him I said that.”

Chi Chi smiled.

“It’s between you and me,” she assured him.

Goku folded the sleeper and placed it on the top of the basket of baby clothes by the door.

“So...” Goku began again, nonchalantly. “You seem a little distant tonight, is everything okay?”

She forced a smile.

“Of course it is! Why wouldn’t it be?”

“I dunno,” he replied lamely. “I just don’t want you to be sad...”

“I could only be sad if you were,” she assured him. Goku smiled at the response.

How could he be sad? He had his family and his friends. Life couldn’t be more carefree. He was wanting for nothing...

Well, almost nothing.

“So,” he spoke, nudging the laundry basket with his foot to push it out of the way of the door, “Veji seemed to take to food well... Ninji will need more time, though...”

“All babies are different,” his wife replied. “Goten took to solids much sooner than Gohan.”

“Yeah?” Goku asked, perking up a bit. “How soon before he was just on solids?”

“Exclusively?” Chi Chi frowned as she thought. “Maybe... a year.”

Goku balked at the idea. A year for the twins was another six weeks. Could he survive? Chi Chi continued to frown as she watched the vacant expression on her husband’s face.

“Darling? Are you alright?”

“Uh, yeah!” He smiled and crossed to the bathroom to change into his pajamas. “I just can’t wait.”

“You needn’t rush things,” she spoke to him through the bathroom door as she pulled back the sheets on the bed. “This is a very special time for you and the boys. A time of closeness and bonding. Don’t wish it away; it will be over before you know it.”

‘Coulda fooled me,’ Goku laughed, speaking under his breath before adding aloud, “I’m not wishing it away, I’m just ready for a change.” He joined her in the room again as she was getting into bed. She smiled at him, fairly confident that it was not change he wanted, but a return to the way it was.

“Babies bring a lot of changes into our lives,” she told him warmly as he settled at her side. “Some very big ones, but with pleasant surprises. Once they are weaned, you might just find that you miss it...” Her voice trailed off as she considered her own words. “This is a special time they can’t share with anyone else. Cherish it, Goku,” she finished softly.

He nodded. For the most part, he agreed with her. It was incredibly bizarre to him -- in a fascinating way -- and he did like the special time he alone could spend with the boys. But he was missing the special alone time he used to spend with his wife. The past several months had been so stressful, the boys so dependent on him and getting used to a new environment, that alone time was scarce as it was. And while he knew she was more than accommodating to his needs, frankly he just felt creepy, and he would dare anyone to be in his shoes and not feel the same way. Now that the children were starting to become more independent, he hoped that he could really start to enjoy their new home together.

“Are you happy, Goku?”

The question took him by surprise, and the Saiyan blinked a few times as he thought.

“Well...”

“I mean,” Chi Chi clarified, turning to face him, “with everything? With the babies and the responsibilities and... and living here?”

Goku nodded slowly, a smile brightening his face.

“I wasn’t at first,” he admitted. “I felt weird living in this house. I missed our own little home and... and I was worried that you would be unhappy,” Chi Chi felt a stirring of guilt. “But I’ve learned that life is full of changes, and surprises like you said. And this arrangement is working out so well! The boys are happy --” He gave a small laugh. “Goten and Trunks, I mean. The twins are happy. You and Bulma are getting to know each other better, and that is something I’ve always wanted. I even think this has been good for Vegeta!” He dropped his gaze, taking her hand in his as he continued. “He’s had some tall hurdles to overcome in his life... and he needs all the support his family can give him. And I’m glad that we can help each other.” He gave her a shy grin. “I think even you and Vegeta are getting along better.” Chi Chi raised an eyebrow, causing Goku to laugh. “So yeah, I’m really happy, Chi.”

“I’m glad,” she told him, leaning up to kiss his cheek. “That’s really all I wanted to hear.”

Whether or not Vegeta wanted to hear it, was a different story.


~~~~~~~~~~


Bulma was just getting into bed when Vegeta returned to Capsule Corp that night. He landed on the balcony outside of the bedroom and walked inside, his appearance showing that he hadn’t been training that day. Bulma knew there was only one reason Vegeta returned from a full day away from home not covered in sweat and blood with his clothes in tatters. Something was weighing so heavy on his mind that he couldn’t exorcise it with brute strength.

“Hi, sweetheart,” she greeted him, watching as he began to remove his shoes and clothes. “Where have you been?”

“Around,” he replied, dropping his discarded clothing on a chair and crossing to the bathroom. Bulma got up and followed him.

“And?” she prompted. Vegeta was quiet a moment as he ran a damp washcloth over his face. His skin felt tight and tired from prolonged scowling. He briefly wondered when that had become a problem for him...

“And I have been thinking.” He dropped the cloth and turned to his wife. “The children are much bigger. It is time to readdress this issue of the living arrangement.”

Bulma’s eyes widened in surprise. She knew they had gotten off to a bumpy start, but had felt that in the last several weeks everyone in the family had grown fond of the present arrangement, even Vegeta.

“Wh-why?” she asked.

“Because this is temporary. We all knew it. It is what was agreed upon,” he replied.

“But it doesn’t have to be temporary!” she insisted. “Not when everyone is happy!”

“Just because you are getting what you want doesn’t mean everyone is happy,” the prince stated sharply. “We agreed to adjust when necessary. I feel that time is now.”

Bulma knew what he was saying was accurate. They had all decided that the situation was not permanent, and they would re-evaluate it at a later time. She had just hoped it would be much later.

“Are you that unhappy?” she asked quietly. Vegeta’s frown deepened.

“I never said that,” he answered. “But I am only a fraction of the equation.”

Bulma nodded numbly.

“Okay, then... we’ll talk... sometime when the kids are occupied --”

“It should be in neutral territory,” the prince advised. “So no one feels pressured. We don’t want a lot of distractions.” Bulma stared blankly at him as he spoke. He was acting as though this were some sort of war negotiation. Vegeta’s expression remained stern. “And there is no point in waiting.”

Bulma nodded, turning from the bathroom. Vegeta watched her as she walked away.

“I can arrange reservations for tomorrow night.”

~~~~~~~~~~

OMG! An update????!!! Heck yeah, it's an update! I'm so excited. Sorry that it has been a super huge long time. Lots happened this last month, including my beta's computer committing suicide by baking itself. I considered posting it unbeta'd, but believe me, no one wants to see that... Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!! ^_^ Thanks for sticking with me! -B