Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Misery ❯ The Fall ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimers: We’re only going to say this once. We own a bunch of manga, our imaginations and a computer. We don’t own Fake or any of the wonderful characters contained therein. That all belongs to Sanami Matoh-sama (May she rule forever) and whoever owns the publishing rights (So not us).

A/N- Okay, other business. While both of us are well-read and quite intelligent (Well, one of us is, at least) we are neither police officers nor medics. While we do know it is possible to survive a lung shot-if medical treatment arrives fast enough-we can say nothing about recovery time or hospital procedure. However, stress fractures combined with sprains, unfortunately, we do have real experience with. Very painful and the medications mentioned were what was proscribed when it happened to Subu-chan. The Emergency room wait, again, is real and from experience. Any fuck-ups are solely our own and we claim full responsibility for them. (Maybe you do, Subu-chan, but I intend to run like hell from all responsibility!)

Timeline- Some time after the end of the manga and just prior to the epilogue “Like, Like, Love.”


Prologue-The Fall

The gunshots were loud in the silence of the warehouse. Ellis watched in horror as Detective MacLean staggered back, crimson flowering across his white shirt. He fired back at the perp as the other man hit the concrete floor with a meaty thud.

Ellis was forced back into cover as the man returned fire. He could hear the footsteps of MacLean’s partner as he came from the back of the warehouse. “Look out!”

He heard gunfire and Detective Laytner’s curse. “Who do you think you’re firing at, you shit?”

Ellis rose from his crouch and put another bullet into the pallet the perp was hiding behind. The man yelped and cursed.

Ellis knew the moment Detective Laytner spotted the body sprawled on the cold concrete. “RYO!”

The suspect used the moment of distraction to fire a round into the gas tank of a forklift parked nearby. The resulting explosion threw Ellis into a stack of crates, as fire seemed to swallow the machine. Ears ringing, he staggered to his feet. He heard Detective Laytner’s frantic voice giving their location, ending with the hated words, “Officer Down!”

Ellis sank to his knees, his legs no longer strong enough to support him. He passed out before the ambulance arrived. The last sound he heard was Detective Laytner’s desperate pleas for Ryo not to leave him. “-Stay with me, baby. You hear me? Don’t you dare die on me!”